THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Postby Sparky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:02 pm

And today's lovely destination in Sparky's Canadian Tour is Corner Brook, Newfoundland.

It is 6C and there are still traces of snow on the local ski hill. BUT... the place is truly beautiful and the people here are as nice as can be.

I strongly recommend that you put visiting NL on your bucket lists. Especially if you like seafood like me. LOL
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

AMX
MAACA Death Knight

Postby AMX » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Mindstorm88 wrote:
C'est vrai que c'est le fun d'avoir des jeunes pour forcer !! :D :D

Méchant beau setup Bro !! :thumbup

Ouin, c'etait l'fun d'avoir un jeune a maison pour forcer.... asteur qu'y est parti, chu pogné avec juste ma blonde pis 300 lb c'est trop pour elle... a dit que c'est trop pesant dans les marche!!!!!! :FP: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Et oui, beau setup Robert!!! :o :clap :thumbup
Pinball
Pinball Owners.com/amx1
Jukebox
Seeburg DS, Seeburg AY, Seeburg 222, RockOla 418
Video
Star Wars + ESB, 1942, 1943, Striker 1945, Arkanoid, Arkanoid Revenge Of Doh, Spy Hunter, Aero Fighters
Arcade
Chicago Coin TV Baseball, Midway Haunted House, Chicago Coin Varsity, United Line Up, United Sure Fire, Bally ABC Tournament

FS: GOTTLIEB STRIKES N SPARES

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Went to Canada's Wonderland today! Beauty day. Behemoth is the best roller coaster, imho.

Only one pin in the 2 arcades I checked! Didn't have time to play. Looked dirty but okay.

20180611_222706.jpg

20180611_163043.jpg

20180611_173638.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Getting use to a new life these days. What a change. I think I am starting to feel & taste something like a high from the youthful daze, but without the drugs.

3 day work week, (i.e. employment) in an old time operators shop cautiously and intelligently building up their parts and service business and doing this in a time capsule that feels like the 70' and where I can be myself. Perfectly OK with that and totally trusted to do what I do there. Add two days at Montreal Pinball fixing a wider variety of pinballs than ever before and meeting people with amazing stories about their relationship to pinball, plus one big day at the North Star and it's shop on Saturdays while remaining available to this personal investment in case there are problems that my apprentices can't get to or fix before the evening starts. Maintenance keeps the problems at a minimum. Failures will occur, that is what they do, you can only minimize them if you have the acumen to spot weaknesses. I have that now, in my life and when it comes to pinball. That is why the machines are running properly for the largest majority of the time under heavy play at the North Star and its locations. And that is one philosophical point I wanted to touch upon in this post. It is because of the maintenance we need to do that we can have a chance at good things in life. Maintenance is key in life as it is in pinball, don't ever forget that when you got something you want to hang on to. Anything or anyone you are passionate about, maintenance is key damn it ! Yes, it can get boring to do the work, but it makes it all worth it when you know that everything is running properly in a world where things are always due to break down at one point or another and eventually fall apart, and/or separate from each other and become something else etc. You are constantly trying to minimize entropy once you get over the growth hump when you do maintenance. The "growth hump" is the most exhilarating part of a project, or any new relationship and even life itself for that matter. It just feels more difficult to produce the "growth hump" when you get past the half way mark in your life since you begin to know deep down that you can not be allowed to win against the way things are. The end is necessary for some evolutionary reason, so do what you can to say that you accept and understand this. You are still allowed to have a voice, and beginnings are the most wonderful thing, hence our innate desire to make something new come about even in lieu of our diminishing capacities or even in a context which no longer makes sense to us.

Yes, I believe that I have drawn the life I wanted so far, with a few mistakes I can now accept as necessary as to where I am, so I can truck on in peace. I have reached a plateau, and I now practice fierce maintenance at 55 by protecting what I have worked for, all the while learning to pace myself when it comes to new goals suited to my present capacities. A working person's life is not just about money equaling success, money is easy to get when you follow the rules of the times, any dummy can do that, and they do, but it remains an empty goal in the end. It is basically an illusion when it comes to feeling happy. On their deathbed, "What, my life is over and all I can do is buy shit." For many it is it enough and OK. Those people don't always have a lot of interesting things to say and I personally could never connect to these unimaginative people on a human level, albeit some of them appear to be nice enough people for the most part. This gig, which usually lasts under a century is about being, & more importantly finding out who you are, and doing what that is, that's it, that's all. You may be a moron, an asshole or you may be a genius or just an easy going person, but you got to be who you are to have a chance at being happy from time to time. In my case, an ideal work life allows one to do what you do best, not what is necessarily dictated as the path by outside influences or your education. It takes balls to do this, to not follow the provided path and search for something else, then again it may be very obvious to you, I don't know.

Even though balls only cost a couple of bucks each, they will not guarantee you success if you don't deploy them. I am patting myself on the back here, hope you don't mind,and if you do, we can put on the boxing gloves and you can explain to me that your values are more real than mine by simply punching me out. :lol: I can still get back up for now, so let's do some thinking instead before acting.

Finished a shop job today on a BLY Hocus Pocus for a new Montreal Pinball client who hauled it over to JamesSchid's work space a couple of weeks ago. Today we reached that plateau where everything works well and now we have to play the hell out of it to get the weaknesses to show up and fine tune it to play the best that it can considering that the client found it in the trash and it was hacked and painted and run down. I make it clear to my home service clients that I do not do superficial aesthetic work, but I guarantee them that it will play to the best of its capacities. The interesting thing about this client is that he thought he had a very special pinball worth thousands and thousands of dollars, so I set him straight and told him that his bill would then be in consequence if he kept talking like that. Ofcourse I am charging him fairly because he seems like an internet dodo and I feel sorry for such people. This is another point I wanted to touch on in this here lengthy post.

1st premise is that most people are stupid and will go with whatever information is convincingly provided on line and elsewhere. Asking questions on-line is a shoe in for most people. The person will then interpret this information whether it is tainted to some end or not by who supplied it. Regardless, this already subjective information is then subject to go through some more interpretation via their minds' filter and eventually comes to a conclusion at the other end of the equation and is still held up high as truth. (Yes, I know I do the same thing sometimes) but I really try to base myself on what I have observed and not what some other human I have never met or some faceless corporation said or wrote and which came up in line on a google search because lots of people like what they read and it suited their need for a quick answer. And since we are in a hurry about our lives in general, a quick answer feels good when someone or something has got us on the run by our being prompted in being reactionary and confused. There is nothing easier to control than a person looking for a quick answer, or better yet when they are at the mercy of a belief. There are no answers, there is process and failure and surprise and sometimes there is success. You will know it when it hits you in the forehead like a hard diamond, and the pain will feel good in a way. Truth is part of your experience and can not be obtained from people who you don't even know you, or you them. Add to this your interpretation of what you did not live first hand and you will often have something else than the right answer, but it will sound good to you at first. So the latter in most people's lives is as close as they will get to a truth. Why not trust yourself instead, trust the long and painful process of learning and intelligence (which is likely a combination of memory and discipline) to get to where you are going, to being yourselves in the best way possible whatever that may be. This is where I understand what people mean when they say that life is too short. It does take a lot of time to learn something by experience, so for most, it is easier to be spoon fed and try to sound intelligent and knowledgeable. This may explain the recent surge in dodo birds walking the streets and looking at their phones.

20180612_210357.jpg
Francis Ford Coppola made amazing thoughtful films and equally good wine.

20180511_132953.jpg
A place to hone your work skills and be what you are.
Attachments
20180404_191427.jpg
A place to reflect and write shit down.
20180421_101128.jpg
Those you know and care about are key to being more than you can be alone.
20180524_130031.jpg
Build and build and build in order to express yourself.
20180520_192754.jpg
Be thankful and silly until the very end.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Back from Newfoundland. Rough week. I find that I have less energy to perform 65hrs of work in 5 days with extreme stress the whole time as much ad I used to. I even did a mental trip to that little dark place in my mind that I really don't enjoy. But a 1hr drive around the beautiful city of Corner Brook with the windows down on the Ford Flex rental and the phone turned off for the trip helped pull myself out of that mental quicksand. And hearing Tokyo Rose by Idle Eyes on the classic rock channel with the wind in my hair, windows down, arm hanging out and just not giving a flying fuck about anything for 60 minutes recharged the batteries a bit.

But one thing has been trotting in my mind... no time for pinball. I have been wondering if it isn't just time to pack it in. I had 7 days in the last month that I was home... and they were spent on Pincon. No regrets about that.... just that I seem to have less and less time.

And just when I felt it was about time to consider dropping texts to my inner circle to sell off more games, I see this while dropping my daughter over at a friend's house...
20180616_160300.jpg

Hmmm....

Damnit... yes, my dream still lives.
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:02 pm

GTB Sure Shot (loan), BLY Goofy, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
WANTED: 1930s bagatelles, Japanese Smart Ball tables, European payazzo/pajatso machines, Bell Fruit Cascade
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:37 am

Nice to have more members post here about what is going on in their lives. It makes for good reading (and pondering) in the morning knowing that others are trying to make things happen through the measure of what they do and who they are.

Rob
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:12 am

Father's Day and 34 degrees???

Pool day.....
PINS- Target Alpha/ Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip
Saving- Space Shuttle/ Black Jack/ Space Odyssey / Beat The Clock / Strange Science/ Disco 79

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”