THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
Sparky

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Sparky »

I worked out a business merger today. I am feeling VERY good about it.

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Sparky wrote:I worked out a business merger today. I am feeling VERY good about it.
Personal project or at work ?
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Currently having this at the Cage Aux Sports... Waiting for the game to start. ;)
Attachments
IMG00171-20110407-1740.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

It took a while to hit, but I really began to feel it today, - exhaustion, the real kind, where if you don't stop and recharge your battery real soon there may be trouble. I knew that it had finally caught up to me because by 4PM I was yelling at the phone when it rang for me. So, after realizing that this was not normal behaviour, even for me, I promised myself that I would do the bare minimum tomorrow. Meaning, wake up, have some tea, go to the post office, do some writing, take a walk in the sun and maybe scratch myself before noon. Unfortuneately, I know that by the time I do all this it will be 10 AM, I will be rested and looking for trouble again. What was it that french guy said last century - oh yeah, - "Being human is a useless passion." :|
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

A douchebag stole my laptop at work last night... not a big loss, getting a new one... but all the MPL stats were in it. Good thing I have a back-up.

Snazzy81
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Snazzy81 »

R.A.B. wrote:It took a while to hit, but I really began to feel it today, - exhaustion, the real kind, where if you don't stop and recharge your battery real soon there may be trouble. I knew that it had finally caught up to me because by 4PM I was yelling at the phone when it rang for me. So, after realizing that this was not normal behaviour, even for me, I promised myself that I would do the bare minimum tomorrow. Meaning, wake up, have some tea, go to the post office, do some writing, take a walk in the sun and maybe scratch myself before noon. Unfortuneately, I know that by the time I do all this it will be 10 AM, I will be rested and looking for trouble again. What was it that french guy said last century - oh yeah, - "Being human is a useless passion." :|
I hear you on that, been sick for the past few days. Just picked up some parts, no real work done.
Pins - http://www.pinballowners.com/snazzy81
Vids - Centipede, Mame Cabinet, Megatouch Double Platinum, Sea Wolf, 1256in1 NBA Jam cabinet, Space Invaders, Asteroids Cocktail, GT2K5
Misc - Pachinko, Pashislo, Roberto Foosball, 1939 Bally Variety Sequence Game, Royal Hawaiian Bowler, The Grappler, CC Hockey Champ, CC TV Baseball, Super Hang-On

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Snazzy81 wrote:I hear you on that, been sick for the past few days. Just picked up some parts, no real work done.
Yeah, and that is another thing, it seems that more people have been sick this winter, and not for a week or two, but over a month in alot of cases. What the fuck is that, - shouldn't we be a little smarter when it comes to our health with all we know about what hinders us and what protects us, like getting some rest to kill off the bug instead of going to work and trying to give it away to others. Rest will put ya straight & fix you up Snazzy, that I am sure about.

Damn, I am rambling again, time to hit the hay and make sure that I don't dream up any more nonesense, I am all stocked up on that shit for the next little while.

Good night

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Sly
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Sly »

Je suis aller chez Gino pour qu'il m'aide pour mon cabinet mame et de cette rencontre j'en retire 3 déductions :
1 Gino yé super smart... Faut pas de fier aux apparences
2 Gino a vraiment un sous-sol de l'enfer
3 Gino a une femme superbe qui m'a regarder d'un air coquin ;)

Merci pour ton aide et ta gentillesse avec mon petit coco Benjamin
Elektra Bally: Prepare for the Gamma Dimension! !!!
Last Action Hero Data East: To be, or not to be. Not to be !!!
Rollergames Williams: Go for the wall !!!
Big guns Williams: She's mine now! Ah ha ha ha !!!
TRON Stern: The grid, a digital frontier !!!
Baby Pacman Bally: Waka Waka Waka !!!
Stargate Gottlieb: Shoot the pyramide !!!

The best game is ALWAYS the one you dont have.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

The two posts above me cracked me up, I love hearing people's stories when they add a touch of themselves to it - humour is the cure, I couldn't put up with my life without it.

Today was a biggie for me, wrote a bunch of cheques for my industrial space and got the commercial lease squared away - and just as the caretaker of the building shook my hand and simply said, "you're in". Fuck, my knees almost gave out. I know this may sound silly to some of you, but I have been dreaming of getting a space in a cool building like this since my early thirties, never happened because of career shifts and city changes and finally family, but now at 48, I finally got my space secured. It means a bunch of stuff for me, more than I can explain here. Lots of work ahead, and that is the way I like it.

Rob

shock_me
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by shock_me »

"I have been dreaming of getting a space in a cool building like this since my early thirties"

Congrats Rob! Looking forward to hearing about your plans for your new space.

Pete

TwilightZone
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by TwilightZone »

shock_me wrote:"I have been dreaming of getting a space in a cool building like this since my early thirties"

Congrats Rob! Looking forward to hearing about your plans for your new space.

Pete
I second that! Big congrats! Really looking forward to hearing more.

Cheers,
Duane
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

machine.slave

Post by machine.slave »

Drove to Auburn Hills, MI :D

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

QN wrote:Looks like a neat collection, lots of sports related titles. Not sure what the reserve would be though. Current bid of around $400 a machine seems about what you would expect.
Yeah, it looks like an interesting collection, but I think that by the end of the evening we came to the same conclusion that the e-bay listing was more of a pretext to get together and start talking about creating this type of place in Montreal than anything else. We tried to go to a bar to talk, but that proved completely silly because of game 1, and we just ended up in a cafe talking about location and the constitution of the place as we watched with an occasionally distracted eye Montreal beat Boston. Even if the reserve ended up being the approximate selling price for that lot, a start up machine inventory of 25k plus shipping remains reasonable to these guys. Still we all agreed that it was bad business to go get those machines in the states when there are so many machines right here in Montreal and outlying areas. By going that route, they could probably get more of what they want in specific titles, and cheaper in the end, just would take a little longer. That's where I proposed to help, since it is not in plans right now to invest financially in such an enterprise.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ricker
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Ricker »

Today I am recuperating from a busy 48 hours in Michigan. Man, I am pooped! All that fun takes a lot outta ya. I still had time to work a bit on a pinball pool project when I got my second wind.
Pins - http://www.pinballowners.com/ricker

WTB: Fathom, Centaur, Eight Ball Deluxe, Mata Hari, Silverball Mania, Mystic, Count Down, TX-Sector, Jacks Open, Roller Disco, Seawitch, Pharaoh, Solar Fire, Jungle Lord, Grand Lizard, Firepower II, Scorpion, Star Light, Star Trek TNG, Phantom Of The Opera, Nautilus (Playmatic), Dialed In.

sensfreak
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by sensfreak »

Put together a tool chest and cleaned and refilled my hot tub. Not really pinball related. Sorry.
Have:
CV, SST, TZ, MMR LE.

Looking For:
LOTR, TOM, and TOTAN.
http://www.pinballowners.com/sensfreak

pinstocker
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by pinstocker »

my wife and i had our 2nd child. top that

shock_me
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by shock_me »

pinstocker wrote:my wife and i had our 2nd child. top that

I don't know...those flippers were a lot of work...LOL!! Seriously though, congratulations!

Pinball Junkie
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Pinball Junkie »

Took a day trip to Montreal with a buddy. We had smoke meat sandwiches at Schwartz's, a beer at Champs, and got to play the new Stones pin at Amusement 2000 Plus. I enjoyed it along with a few other arcade games. :D
Collection: SM(Stn),T2,HS2,CFTBL,MBrLE,CCrLE,JJPOTCLE,WWind,WCS94,EBD,MM

Owned in the past: RFM,AvengersHulkLE,Elvis,EBD,EB,SegaGZ

Would like AFMrLE & PFLE.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Packing up for the impending move. It has been a gradual process so far, but yesterday I made a "dent" sort of speak in the south shore shop. Found some weird stuff. I will post pictures or scans of some oddities, at least I will try to. And when it comes to weird stuff, especially heavy weird stuff, the quintessential question becomes - "is it worth moving ?"

We accumulate so much stuff in a lifetime, and we inevitably leave so many things unfinished.

Today at work, I spent the day catching up on a bunch of stuff which needed attention due to having missed a days work on friday. Family matters.

Below is something I found behind a shelf of parts catalogues. It is 2-1/2" x 4", when folded in your breast pocket. Imagine all these techs back then who had been fixing EMs for years and even decades, and then, all of sudden, everything changed. These little books must have been lifesavers for 5 bucks.
Attachments
img225 (Medium).jpg

QN
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Post by QN »

R.A.B., You may not be able to judge a book by it's cover, but you certainly can't read one...me thinks the inside would be more informative. :P

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

QN wrote:R.A.B., You may not be able to judge a book by it's cover, but you certainly can't read one...me thinks the inside would be more informative. :P
Yeah, I know, but what the hell, I am lazy when it comes to scanners and such. It is just fun to share curiosities like that. By the way the French in that little booklet is excellent, a top notch translation and summary of the more detailed troubleshooting guide for GTB's System 1. Gottlieb always did things right, except for system 1 ofcourse. Well, I guess nobody can't hit a homer everytime.

I am doing some more packing on thrusday night and should have something else to scan or photograph that may be equally as dull to most of you. But what the hell this is an open forum so I can get as weird as I like under this profile. 8-) 8-) 8-)

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Very much enjoyed this November like weather today, so much so that when I went out to the gut truck to get a soup, I immediately drank it out of the styrofoam bowl at my desk looking for a deep and real sense of comfort at the bottom of the bowl, - imagine that, looking for hope in canned soup from a truck. One has got to be desperate for springtime to look for this from that.

I did get a bit of cool news this morning. Came from Ontario out of all places, from a veteran operator in the Kitchener area, an old friend and client. He will be coming down to the Montreal office Friday to spend a good chunk of the day with us. After calling in his parts order, and speaking to Michel about some equipment, he told me that he is bringing down an old Gottlieb for me and a Bally parts machine that he doesn't want. Hey, I never turn down an EM GTB especially at that price, or old parts for that matter. A 4 player GTB 1968 Spin Wheel and a junker BLY Hokus Pocus I hope will help to take these winter blahs away. Suppose to be sunny in Montreal on friday.

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

machine.slave wrote:
Sparky wrote:... still nursing an ear infection. CHRIST it hurts.
Dude.. walk-in clinic + antibiotics + 3 hours of waiting = bliss.. seriously. Last time I had one my ear drum burst.. not fun. :x

I did on Monday night.

Walk-in clinic + 6 hours of waiting = antibiotic pills + antibiotic/painkiller drops + 2-3 Advils every 4 hrs

The infection spread to my inner ear when I flew home. Doc said that 2 more days and I would have suffered hearing loss.

Actually calmed down today... pills are working.

machine.slave

Post by machine.slave »

Sparky wrote: The infection spread to my inner ear when I flew home. Doc said that 2 more days and I would have suffered hearing loss.
Yikes! Don't fly with an ear infection, that's a good way to do some permanent damage! That must've hurt like a mo-fo

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Worked today, but much more relaxed than yesterday vis à vis phonecall volume. However, walk in traffic was higher than usual, but I really enjoy that much more than the god-damn phone.

We had an operator make the trip from Kitchner with his wife today to pick up some used equipment from Michel. We had a few laughs talking about the days of old back at Laniel. As well, Sparky came in with his kids and brother to talk and get some parts. Later DavidC came by for some coils and put his high score on the Stones machine. Lots more movement than expected for Good Friday. By days end, quite pooped from the week.

Here are some cool distributor charts I found looking through filing cabinets in my almost uprooted shop. I think it gives a different perspective looking at these.
Attachments
img230 (Medium).jpg
img231 (Medium).jpg