THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Post by cait001 »

OTTOgd wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:03 pm Ugh! I wanna join the tournament but I don't think I can legally cross the border yet!?! :cry:

Ha! But I'll keep the poster! 8-)
-
20210416_204623b.jpg
That is awesome! What year is it and where did you get it?
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

cait001 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:52 pm
OTTOgd wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:03 pm Ugh! I wanna join the tournament but I don't think I can legally cross the border yet!?! :cry:

Ha! But I'll keep the poster! 8-)
-
20210416_204623b.jpg
That is awesome! What year is it and where did you get it?
One of the best years ... EVER; 1974! Online purchase from a semi-local pin apprecianado.

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

Ma blonde m'a fait venir un casque en acier de Mandalorian.. c'est pas en beskar, lol, mais je suis tout de même chanceux d'avoir une blonde qui aime les mêmes chose que moi, incluant les pins et les vidz!
20210410_155306.jpg

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by mrmikeman »

World_of_Warships wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:44 pmje suis tout de même chanceux d'avoir une blonde qui aime les mêmes chose que moi, incluant les pins et les vidz!
Haha j’ai le même “problème” ;)

Chanceux aussi :)
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

Today, I played Popeye [PP-23] on my android phone! :shock: :D 8-)

Get the free game here: http://www.madrigaldesign.it/sim/

Popeye was the only Game & Watch I actually owned bitd (~'82) but can't find it now. :cry: Below is my Game A high score today. meh. But I will do better!

I yam what I yam an' tha's all I yam!
Attachments
Popeye_20210526-131136.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Somebody has finally thrown the switch on that light at the end of the tunnel, that light which the politicians and doctors have been talking about for a long time in Québec all the while telling the gen pop to hang on cautiously and look for it.

Waking up early and looking at the full bloom of the trees and the clear skies seem to hit me differently this morning as I made my way to one of the best jobs I have ever had, like I do three days out of every week. Got into the appliance (Toyota) and turned on the radio, (something I rarely do) and listened to Peter Mansbridge wishing Terry Demonte well on his retirement in a journalistic yet heart felt way. This morning is Terry Demonte last shift on CHOM FM after 40 years of being a familiar reassuring voice in the morning on Montreal’s most important rock station. Many of us have grown up with CHOM and this was a weird day to decide to turn on the radio in the car, I always preferred not having the radio on because I find the commercials aggresively volitile as I get older. But this morning for some reason I thought I would risk it since I was feeling pretty sharp and hopeful.

Other voices came on to wish Terry well, - the mayor of Montreal Valerie Plante with a thank you that was spoken in both English and French, not seprately from eachother but in the same statement which is pretty cool, Melissa Etheridge as well and many other voices, a few from the past at Chom like Peppermint Patti, Ken Connors and a few others I vaguely remember and was glad to be reminded of. One after the other paying hommage to one amazing morning man. Everything they talked about I could identify with and every event from decades ago mentioning Montreal landmark bars, hotels, concert venues and restaurants brought something back to me. Iconic places in the past that are no longer there plus memories of all the hussle of a city I love which I hope will resurface in some form or another with that feeling of …... elation ou joie de vivre. Even though I felt that something was ending when listening to people say goodbye and good luck to Terry, (40 years is quite the chunk of a lifetime.) I felt something was starting today in Québec on this important May 28th. I don’t know why I feel this way today, maybe the full moon woke something up in me and maybe walking up St.Laurent street with my tool case to go up to the North Star to do some work in preparing for an eventaul reopening in the late summer or early fall, (don’t know for sure about anything still, too early to call it) but I know that everything is moving towards some kind of future that will have roots in a past, and that makes me feel super lucky to have lived all those years ago and still be able to live in the new Montreal that will come after the restrictions are lifted. It starts tonight with the lifting of the curfew that has been with us since January, we can all breathe a little easier in the Montreal night now and live it late into the summer.

Rab (Robert)
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

After work yesterday, and after my usual stop at the post office to drop off packages, I was told that I no longer need to take a cart as I entered the SAQ (Société des Alcohols du Québec) if I didn't need one. First time in long time. So standing in line behind other people looked different after over a year off leaning on one with only one bottle of red Coppola wine in it. I liked how things were starting to look.

Restrictions are starting to lift as the summer of this 21st century renaissance comes on, and many will have trouble adapting to this change as well. The difference is that we are now trying to adapt to a memory or an idea or concept of what once was, and everyone remembers through their own filters, sure it will be different, but at least we have been there before. Adapting to the pandemic was not something many of us knew from having lived it before.

Restrictions are still there, but you can feel them fading daily. At work I am getting more parts orders from operators and bar owners preparing for the reopening of their businesses. It is exciting to have that happen, there will be lots of opportunities for growth now that there has been so much demise. Some say restrictions are being lifted too fast, some say too slowly. Either way these are very interesting times to be alive in. Making historical things happen to look at later.

Rab

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

Yesterday, I bought FOUR new pinball games! :oops:

Thankfully, they don't take too much time to set-up or to shop, and didn't cost thousands! But I still have to add LEDs, protector sets, and toppers.
www.LVLUPgames.ca is a great store but didn't have those mods, darnit. :cry:

Game on!
Attachments
20210619_200649.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Been quite the past couple of weeks. Things are changing more rapidly than most of us anticipated here, you can see it in the streets of our city.

Restrictions are lifting steadily along with exciting hockey games and summer kicking in. However, people for the most part are wearing weary smiles, that will take longer to lift off their faces, but you can't help but feel that something is awakening. Whether it is waking up in us and/or around us, let us hope for a "steady as she goes" renaissance.

Home service calls are averaging 3 to 5 a week and parts sales are starting to pick up especially with the few commercial operators left standing. Machine sales are not as hot right now and that is no skin off my elbows, it had to slow down, it is after all - summer ! Alouette is completely out of pinballs and instead we are refurbishing cranes, redemption games and other commercial money makers for when the malls and family entertasinment centers hopefully are allowed to fill up again, imagine that, all those "drunken like" kids running all over the place salivating and screaming throwing things at eachother like an indoor zoo. :shock: Really do not think that this will be allowed this summer, who knows. Let's hope that eventually FEC's open up here like I am told by my U.S. suppliers that they have down there once again. So busy apparently that my I.C.E. parts order is taking a week to get here instead of the usual two days. The redemption boom may still happen in Québec, it was put on hold at the start of the pandemic and hopefully the laws will changes so that the showroom at Alouette doesn't fill up with those things alone just waiting for an out of province buyer.

Pre-Pandemic Reference :

Re: BREAKING NEWS: License fees on arcades in Quebec
Edit Report Quote
Post by R.A.B. » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:48 am

Cineplex has been soliciting the Québec government's Régie des Alcools et des Courses for years, and now with the Legault government, it has finally happened. Less fees to operate the equipment that will fill the Player One Rec Rooms in our province. Redemption games etc. These Rec Rooms already exist in other provinces, and they will bring new business to Québec. The good thing is that the Legault governement also made it eaiser for small operators, not just the biggest one in Canada.

What this means on a more homegrown level, is that it opens the path for more operators to place their equipment, and more importantly, to be able to rotate without always thinking about permit costs which are not transferable from one machine to another. So machines lose money simply by being off the road for one reason or another. This is great for Québec operators,- the ones that are left, and the next generation of operators. This may also make it easier for those who want to get into operating.

I am pumped and I think this will simply encourage the business.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

shout out to the very few operators that are still on the hustle, bringing public pinball to the masses despite the industry threats (circa 1941) of being stabbed with an ice-pick, shot, and then drowned with a slot machine.
pinball murder 1941.jpg
pinball murder 1941.jpg (61.56 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

cait001 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:47 am shout out to the very few operators that are still on the hustle, bringing public pinball to the masses despite the industry threats (circa 1941) of being stabbed with an ice-pick, shot, and then drowned with a slot machine.

pinball murder 1941.jpg
You just can't make that stuff up..! What, he ended up into the "Swan Lake" weighted with a slot machines?!! Sad, but epic..!

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

in an odd twist of fate, my name is now included twice in this new book on the history of pachinko published by Hosei University (ものと人間の文化史 186: パチンコ by 杉山 一夫)
https://www.h-up.com/bd/isbn978-4-588-21861-3.html

So it's fair to say next show I run a history booth I'll have lots of new things to talk about...
Attachments
20210624_144745.jpg
20210624_144909_HDR.jpg
20210624_144901.jpg

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

We are selling our house so my daughter decided to stage her dolls and pinball machine. I though it was pretty cute and wanted to share with everyone. The last photo is my favourite. She even managed to get the doll to have that proper "pinball stance".
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

For many of us, it is not easy being green, and for others, it is the beginning of a renaissance. I sincerely hope that it is the latter for the larger majority of us this summer, at least for the summer.

In the News -

We are shutting down for a month at Alouette starting with the Québec construction holiday. So the last day to show your mugs at the Montreal Pinball parts counter is Friday July 16th. Will be back at this desk Monday August 16th for another round before things change again and school starts up a couple of weeks later, imagine that.

Regardless, during that time off (July 16 to August 16) I will be coming in occasionally to pick parts for service calls and a few regular operator clients, but you can still place parts orders on line at -

https://amusement.evolvo.com/index.php

or better yet if you want something not listed in the webstore catalog ( I decided not to list common parts like rubbers, lights, locks, flipper fixins', cleaners and such for now, but we got plenty). Better yet you can just call or e-mail me
(info@montrealpinball.com) with any of your orders -

http://www.montrealpinball.com/contact/

Go habs go, we need a cup to runneth over this summer, that would be the schnitzel.

Yabo !!

Rab
Last edited by R.A.B. on Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Nous serons fermés ce jeudi et vendredi sur la rue Delmeade et ouvert lundi. Pareil comme la semaine passer pour la St.Jean.

We will be closed this Thrusday & Friday at Alouette on Delmeade and re-opening Monday, same as last week's holiday schedual for Johhny the Baptisit.

Rab

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

cait001 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:49 pm in an odd twist of fate, my name is now included twice in this new book on the history of pachinko published by Hosei University (ものと人間の文化史 186: パチンコ by 杉山 一夫)
https://www.h-up.com/bd/isbn978-4-588-21861-3.html

So it's fair to say next show I run a history booth I'll have lots of new things to talk about...
if anyone wants to know more about this book I have a post about it here http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2021/ ... s-and.html

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

English will follow

Alors les boys, Alouette ferme ces portes pour un mois de "vacances" (19 juillet au 15 aout).
Aujourd’hui nous sommes ici j'usqua a peu prés 15hres. Dans la semaine qui suit nous allons poster beaucoup plus de pièces sur le webstore de Montreal Pinball alors faite un tour de temps a autres pour voir ce qui est nouveau, ou vieux, ou je le sais plus. :?

Vous pouvez toujours me rejoindre pendant les vacances via montrealpinball.com pour des pièces et des conseils pinballs ou autres. :D

Alouette is closing for a month during the summer holidays, (july 19 to august 15). Today we are here until 3PM or thereabouts. Next week we will be posting a bunch of new old parts on the Montreal Pinball webstore from this wacky inventory, so check in to see what is old, or rather new, hell, I can't tell anymore. :lol:

You can always reach me during this summer break through montrealpinball.com for parts or service inquires about pinball and other things ofcourse. :D

R.A.B.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

R.A.B. wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:13 amhttps://amusement.evolvo.com/index.php
It fills me with joy to see a photo on the main page take at the OPGS history booth!!

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

cait001 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:58 am
R.A.B. wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:13 amhttps://amusement.evolvo.com/index.php
It fills me with joy to see a photo on the main page take at the OPGS history booth!!
Me too.

I tried to pick those scrolling pictures with "time" in mind.

The history booth at the last OPGS, Amusement 2000 plus pinball line up the day before they moved from downtown Montreal, (my son playing pinball for a shout out to future gens) and the parts dept display wall at Alouette plus my good friend's 1966 Capersville in relaxed multi-ball mode & pose on zipper flippers taken by my best apprentice one pre-pandemic summer night at the North Star. It is all about continuity really.

I am just happy that as a group here on MAACA we can continue to encompass almost 100 years of history & curiosities, and not just praise the latest stuff and hail it as the schnitzel. New stuff may become & remain interesting later through time, but for now it holds empty & temporary weight, and only when & if it can manage to acquire somewhat of a soul through a continued interest via longevity can it then be considered important. What is not talked about or recognized as having stood the test of time simply disappears, or is usually filed away as a boat full of hype.

R.A.B.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

What a day today. Contradictory in a way, - parts sales have been going up, so why shut down for a month ? What does the amusement industry have to do with the Québec construction holiday ?

I sold well over 1K in parts today, (average day is 500 at three days a week), so I am considering going into Alouette every Friday only and running the Montreal Pinball parts counter for that one day only for the next four weeks. I do not see the logic of taking a month off when parts sales are up and as local operators are asking for more stuff now that they are coming out of their holes and their locations are opening for business again. Time will tell, but these are definitely exciting times, I am stoked. 8-)

I think that the renaissance of commercial coin operated amusements has begun.

R.A.B.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

English will follow.

Je suis au bureau demain (23 juillet - pleine lune) de 10hres a 15hres si vous avez besoin de quoi que ce soi au niveau des pièces et/ou d'autres stupidiités. :D

Montreal Pinball - 514-330-5555 (le numero d"Alouette est débranché pendant les vacances j'usqu'au le 16 aout) appeler avant de vous presenter.

Magasin en ligne - https://amusement.evolvo.com/index.php?id_lang=5

I will be at the office tomorrw (23rd of July - ful moon)from about 10am to 3PM if you have any parts requests or other things silly. :D

Montreal Pinball 514-330-5555 (Alouette's phone is off the hook until August 16th for the summer break) Call before showing up.

On line parts store - https://amusement.evolvo.com/index.php?id_lang=1

R.A.B.

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

Hey guys, I know quite a few of you already know this, but I've decided to pack up and move out East to New Brunswick with my family. My wife is originally from NB and our plan was always to retire out there. With real estate going a bit nuts, and my wife having the ability to work remotely now it just made more and more sense to enact our retirement plan early. I've even managed to find a job out there with JD Irving, so money-wise we are in a strong positive position.

I've mentioned all of this on FB, but I just wanted to drop a line here as I know some of you don't use the social medias. I already plan to join the Fundy Flipper League, but I won't be leaving Ottawa in my dust. I've been an Ottawa boy since I was 5 years old and I have family here, including my sister whom I'm very close with and will miss a lot.

Anyway, without getting all sobby, I will be back often to visit. I may even make it out to more than 1 event a year! I'm going to miss this community a lot, but I don't plan on abandoning it. Some of you won't even realize I've moved. I've met a lot of great people through OPL. You'll still see me posting here, and PinRev and on Twitch streams as Fifty (or FiftyQuid).

Tim

luch
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by luch »

enjoy your retirement !

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor

Hope you'll find a Spiderman over there :-). Pinballs, lobster roll and a Foghorn, not a bad combination!! Best of luck!

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

congrats!!