THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
Mindstorm88
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Post by Mindstorm88 »

Azatotht wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:14 pm
Mindstorm88 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:10 pm Maintenant on attend la maison en appartement :bawling
Ouf, combien de temps avant de pouvoir entrer ?
Début novembre !!!

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Mindstorm88 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:36 pm
Début novembre !!!
Vous allez l'apprécier quand ça va arriver !

Bon courage, même si je suis certain que c'est pas si pire que ça être un peu plus collés pour un moment :mrgreen:
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

hyann
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times

Post by hyann »

Sparky 2.0 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:44 am Well, not getting any younger. LOL. Blew out my back doing absolutely nothing. In bed all day Saturday, and taking it easy Sunday. Better today but still numb.

Getting older sucks. LOL
Yes! Ça commence dans 10 ans on va pouvoir racheter vos machines le tier du prix parce que vous serez plus capable des sortir du sous-sol lol
http://www.pinballowners.com/hyann
Working on: Taxi PF restoration
In french: Blog sur machines, romans et jeux: http://machines-romans-jeux.blogspot.com

MPL 2009-2010 Iron Man and Royal Flush: Best effort awards
MPL 2010-2011 Gary stern trophy !

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

My basement got flooded again last week because of the heavy rain.

Another 6 months of bullshit trying to get it redone just as I was getting back into the hobby again.

At least, my games are not here...
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

Azatotht wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:00 am My basement got flooded again last week because of the heavy rain.

Another 6 months of bullshit trying to get it redone just as I was getting back into the hobby again.

At least, my games are not here...
:cry: shit!
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Spent some time last night reading old posts on MAACA and thinking about how a journey doesn't necessarily need a goal.

Many posts struck me as worth re-reading and re-thinking. Especially the ones from people I still know after so many years.

So many good friendships have come from saying what we think and feel as true in relation to this shared obsession and all it drags into our lives with it.

Other posts simply seemed repetitive and wasteful.

Below is one from a while ago that filed me with reflective glee.

From August 2014 – Reflections after a Pow Wow at the Montreal Pinball shop

The spiced rum, the abundant peppers, the whiskey, the thinly sliced salt pork, the goat cheese on light whole wheat crackers, the beer, the wasabi peas, the candied salmon, the buckwheat noodles and the cheddar popcorn made for a kick ass mix of energy along with Jessica showing us her two new tattoos, one of a wire stripper and the other of long nose pliers on the front of her thighs since she started her apprenticeship here at Montreal Pinball. I realized there and then that us older pinball collectors, and whom we refer to as the latest vets need to encourage new blood, however tough this may be on us and our convictions about what the hobby should be like, or on how it rolls and is now managed and interpreted as in this resurgence. Acceptance is key even if we do not agree. Without new blood, there is no life, and the usual and repetitive ideas will just end up stagnating the whole movement. I think I find it hard to accept because so much is left behind which I deem of having value, but there is no other way, things have to move forward and change. It is likely a law of the universe.

After the youth left to go on with their evening downtown and beyond, the old school stayed and wound down to talk about what we had witnessed during that unordinary Pow Wow, and how we were not so at ease with how the next generation is coming on and their approach. But I for one realized that our ideas are old and stagnant, as if there was a truth to all this that we need to protect for some reason, or even a moral and correct slant as to how we should live this hobby. Simply put, to each his own, yes, but it is also so important to let things change even when we don‘t agree. Harm will be done as always and good things will happen as well, thank fate for balance. Make your choices and enjoy your passion while you still have it and it still has you.

Rab

Post by WARLOCK » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:18 pm
And...here we are...

We are getting there.
The new and the old.
What was + what is.
Then, what should be.

It will come together, in time.

Post by Bank-Coil » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:44 am

Tats seem extreme Jessica.

Life's currents ebb and flow, come and go.
Our desires wane and our passions cause pain.
Our interests are kindled our attention is dwindled.
Focus is diverted and new loves are flirted.

Tomorrow so unknowing, yet filled with hopes and dreams.
Expectations are the currency to hold, and are best formed while running downhill.

A clean slate helps everything seem new and exciting.
Reminders of the past give context, but there is value in being able to forget.

There is a great advantage in being flexible and being able to trade in your wire strippers for nose hair clippers, but I digress.

All is good in the search for our place in this lonely world where all would have you believe they feel like they belong but where very few honestly feel like their feet are on the ground.

I am here look at me as I honk my horn driving down quiet streets.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Mindstorm88
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Mindstorm88 »

Finallement déménagé dans la nouvelle maison !! :woot

Total 6 hommes 4 voyages de camion et 4 voyages de ma remorque et mon véhicule.. :FP:

Reste a placer le stock, beaucoup de stock :FP: :lol: :lol:

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

c'est quand le party?! :D
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Mindstorm88 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:34 am Finallement déménagé dans la nouvelle maison !! :woot

Total 6 hommes 4 voyages de camion et 4 voyages de ma remorque et mon véhicule.. :FP:

Reste a placer le stock, beaucoup de stock :FP: :lol: :lol:
Vraiment content pour toi Bro. :thumbup

C'est vraiment toute une aventure que tu vis.

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Mindstorm88
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Mindstorm88 »

Mrhide wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:26 pm c'est quand le party?! :D
A un moment donné !!! :lol: :lol:

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

What is written below was all I could come up with after massaging the kinks out of an idea I flirted with in view of a new writing project. In hopes that the execution of the idea will limber up a few looming winter minds, - yes, mine included. Personally, I am feeling more and more like a Kilgore trout when I prod myself to post anything slightly literary here on maaca, or maybe like a George Constanza, but that latter comparison is so blatantly lacking in originality that it could only come from a victim of popular culture.

And yes, even now at the tail ass end of 2022, so many things continue to happen in a day, and not many of us seem to recognize the opportunity in recounting stories as an educational tool for the upcoming generations growing up in this latest wasteland the screwheads are cultivating to a tee before abandoning ship once again. Just even being able to appreciate day to day stories is key, even if they harbour an occasional inflammatory nature they may just end up being didactic for those who are actually listening. Sometimes the stories are the same for the sake of repetition & hammering the point home, and sometimes they waver in a more subtle manner for the sake of creativity. Regardless, it is always a gamble to express oneself within these nervous times. There are so many nay sayers out there in this shameless, loud and stupid culture of resentment & petty jealousy, that even telling a story is like playing Russian roulette with more ideas than the empty available chambers. Judgement has replaced questioning and information is replacing truth for the many who feel that they are "in the know". And since it is so much easier to judge than to be curious, why bother with thinking since we understand everything so immediately now.

So here you go, for your entertainment pleasure (or for whatever you choose to understand), a story from the spring of 2018 that may speak to you. It may even arouse curiosity in some, and probably judgement and resentment in those who have been indoctrinated, primed and readied to be reamed in this new age. All my hopes for an awakening.

"She had insisted on absolute honesty, so I told her everything. I never saw her again, but at least I had spared the next guy the same ordeal."
(Don Paterson from his book of aphorisms "Best Thought, Worst Thought")

Spring 2018

“You think too damn much,” she declared after we spent an evening out with some of my friends at the North Star - Machines à Piastres on the Plateau Mont-Royale.

“I like you better when you are stupid.” she added.

I laughed and stroked her hair as a thank you gesture for that thought, then carefully pondered what I would say next, knowing that it would be pivotal if we were to continue our consensual willingness in getting horizontal later.

I came up with the following which is in fact some rough paraphrasing from an old novel I had read and which seemed to address the thoughts from which she birthed her observation and comment.

“I have got to think all the time, but like everyone else I have to take a vacation from thinking occasionally and that is where I get in trouble with the world around me. When I stop thinking it is usually because I am losing my mojo about what truly matters in my day to day affairs which are aligned in leading me to who I really want to become or maybe who I simply am. That ofcourse depends on what school of philosophy you adhere to when it comes to the matters of existence or essence being apriori.”

Silence prevailed as we walked down the stairs. Our soles then met the sidewalks of the Main.

“In the end it turns out to be the same as all the other people out there, a futile exercise. Hell, most of us go on vacations every year in hopes to maintain our well being using those couple of weeks to fill that tall order to relax and relearn to appreciate being human and then we plunder ahead spending another 50 or so weeks messing it up by being subservient, but this time working at improving our shitty little lives in a battle with those who own & profit from our daily efforts and struggles. This is all in contrast to what our life could be if we had the courage to say, “fuck you” to the scoundrels and stand still long enough to think about what being alive actually means. The work we do for pay is often claimed by someone else who will say that this is how things always were, thus insinuating that it can't be changed. These people harbour such little imagination. This is so shameful since all we really need for a starting point is to all say, 'that's enough with the grin fucks and lies and your filthy hands in my pocket.' Work should not be a burden on anyone. And since I am so bent on my capacity of late to live out my intentions, that is why I have to keep thinking.”

She looked at me squarely as if those regurgitated ramblings had made some sense for her as well. Or maybe she had just run out of words, don't know, but after a longer than usual pause she just nodded. I knew that she had caught a glimpse of the absurdity of our empty culture, this unsustainable culture of consumerism being upheld, and promoted/sold as a "way of life" by those who underhandedly profit most while all and any consequences be damned. It is very much like celebrating and selling the American dream to the masses, one has to be asleep to believe in it.

“You are an inconsistent man”, was all she managed to come up with while walking down the Main towards the McGill metro.

“Hell, I am not much on consistency when it comes to dealing with shysters and liars, have to stay ahead of them. I was just thinking out loud back there, and I don't do that very often, but I sure as shit know that I am no longer going to accept all this nonsense of going with the traffic and hoping for good things to happen as my life blood gets sucked out of me daily by some asshole acting conciliatory and concerned for my well being, not in life, but in relation to my position in their corporation, - scary shit those employee aid programs. How stupid do they want us to be ? I simply can't live that way anymore, not the way I understand things of late and the babble of those lying bastards and where they want us. Sitting at a desk in front of a screen working while being monitored, it is sickening. But the real tragedy is letting our lives slip by until we are done for and we are forced to say, “well, is that all there was to it, was that really my life ?”. Hell, I can be useless on my own instead of being subjected to their bullshit and working for a corporation peddling whatever they decide we have to shove down the public's throat. Bullshit ! Add to this the knowledge that I don't want anything that they are peddling and you have a pretty bad marriage, - so I think that I have got to go, feel like a free radical, a sort of cancer in that corporate culture equation of conformity, and they have a cure for people like me who question too much as you claim my dear. I will go before they administer it."

Another pause. And now a look of sadness as some understanding came through her expressions.

“Anyway, they need to sell their crap, and the act of selling has always been repulsive to me somehow. I harbour a secret desire to punch a salesman in the throat when they start bullshitting me as they work themselves into a frenzy of believing that they are letting me in on some straight goods/dope. I know that this manipulative prick is trying to sell me some shit, and I don't take well to that these days, and again, I really do not want anything at all. Where does this buffet of lies end ? I am already surrounded by too much stuff and I don't feel any need to live large as they say. In fact, I don't want much except to be at peace with what remains essential to our being alive, aware, awake and happy. Certainly do not identify a sense of higher importance via the usual status symbols the dumb dumbs use as gauges for success, stuff likes cars, clothing, oversized properties and shinny possessions. I have no interest or desire to impress anyone, especially the other dumb dumbs which have managed to get indoctrinated into some competitive run around circle jerk happening of a cock & tail party. Keep those pinons striving, make them believe that they are special and important and have real purpose, it's just too horrible to watch. I do not belong here, it feels like another dead end for our humanity.”

She squeezed my hand as we sat in the metro car. I paused and looked out the window which was reflecting our faces zipping by to the backdrop of the dark tunnel's walls. Pulling into Square Victoria station I realized that I still had more to say. Maybe I no longer cared what took place later on between us.

“I didn't tell you, but I also spent all day yesterday thinking, and I came to the conclusion that I should eventually leave here, but I need to figure out what I should do with what I have accidently built by doing what I am about within this commercial wasteland. I prefer that it not go to waste because some of it went deeper than just making money which many believe is the end all goal and some measure of success. I believe in living and not so much in owning lots of crap, so I have to figure out what to do with this money, it has become a burden somehow. I know now that being wealthy is not about having lots and lots of possessions, it is more about having few wants.”

“Where would you go ?”, she asked.

“I don't know,” I answered, “one place or another now seems pretty much the same. The self is key to our perceptions. If I could make myself buy into this system and walk the streets looking wantonly at display windows and screens for answers it would be easy, and I could put aside what keeps telling me that things aren't what they appear to be. Then I wondered why I would want to go anywhere at all except where I am right now, don't I have a hand in this context somehow, a voice maybe ? I want to be present and play within this cause and effect reality, not the new one they have coming up on those screens everywhere. Orwell was right, this could get ugly if we stop thinking for too long.”

“Why not let yourself be distracted,” she asked, “since you are not planning on disappearing.”

“Maybe I am planning on disappearing rather than being on vacation and/or being distracted like so many.” I said, “but I will not go back to where I came from. I think that that is where the real trouble started, just before the amusement industry went corporate because it became aware of the amounts of cash being dropped into coinboxes a quarter at a time, then later one Lonnie at a time, and that amounted to tons of cash. I loved that street business back then, being on the QT, the lam and all its' characters, petty crimes, youthful late night craziness and stories. I lived it and enjoyed it immensely until they began asking me to whore for them, that is when it lost all its romance. I was thinking about my past the other day and realized that I may still be on the wrong track even though I tried to be smart in finding another way to navigate through this coin operated life.”

“How's that ?”, she asked.

“Not sure, but I am getting the feeling that whatever I come up with eventually ends up following a path that someone else laid out a long time ago and that I may have a bunch of silent company on whatever road I choose. You are the same way I told her, we are all going to the same place doing the same damn things that people have been doing for generations and we keep waiting for something different to happen. You know, I left the beaten path, I am different and special, so where is my reward? There is no reward and there never was. So we end up settling for something less extraordinary than what life itself was probably able to provide if we had been less scared of thinking for ourselves and ofcourse had the courage to question and then act on the real answers we heard inside ourselves later in life but ignored in our youth because it would mean rethinking what we were conditioned to believe while we were open to the world. That is when they get you, your upbringing which you didn't choose because there was no real you yet to choose it marks how you will see and understand the world. We just accepted it as the truth because we hadn't learn to question yet and had no experiences to consider our thinking as possibly valid. So now most people in this empty culture are basically striving for their “fuck you” money so badly that they can't feel what they knew before they got fucked by attempting to achieve what is being sold to them as “the good life”. It is a lie like all the other things they want you to work towards, like retirement and being protected from life and death by insurance companies. It makes for a fearful and shitty way to live, and it has been going on for a very long time, I don't know that we can change this in time for us to recover from the deep damage it has done to the majority of people, might be time for a fresh start. All I found as a way of life now is to not want anything they want me to have.”

“What are you implying^”, she asked with a suspicious, almost fearful look.

“We are just lost, souls stuck in a culture and way of life that has no deep meaning as we continue to serve the absurdity of it all to some end we will never fulfill. Consume and be consumed is the best way to put it. Each of us are just tools for the continuation of this lengthy & absurd story, or for as long as it will sustain us before we blow it all up. I may as well go live in some little town and be a fireman until this ends, there is really no point anyway, so what the hell, might as well put out fires until we can no longer stop these cycles of decline and growth always ending in enormous losses without a long enough lasting lesson to improve our world for very long. And yes, if the bible is right the world will explode.”

Hope you are still here, and if you are not, well that is OK too. Once again, all that is written above is a conglomeration of pre-pandemic journals written a couple of weeks of so before leaving the corporate world in the spring of 2018 and making a conscious effort in gradually ridding my life of the other remaining screwballs I knew who had also become cures for happiness. Anxiety, stupidity, paranoia, assumptions without narrative and manipulative behaviours are the “skills” which unhealthy, unimaginative toxic people use in hopes that the results from their methods will somehow justify their own loss of humanity.

What ya gonna do ?
What ya gonna do ?
All my hopes that we come to our senses this winter, there may no longer be much of a chance for a wider awakening, hell, we know too much and at the same time are not smart enough to know it. A pandemic in the information age has given us this world and we are keeping it, at least until too much division takes place and ignites more conflict and greater destruction and greed in order to make room for that new age which is afoot, it will need lots of breathing room to grow.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:47 am, edited 8 times in total.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

“Anyway, the act of selling has always been repulsive to me, I harbour a secret desire to punch a salesman in the throat »

Love it ! 😂

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

R.A.B. wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:53 pm ... cash being dropped into coinboxes a quarter at a time, then later one Lonnie at a time, ...
it's spelt LOONIE. fawk. you owes me a tonnie, Row-bear.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

If a tonnie were a ton of toonies that would be moemonnie.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

On the first part only: upon reading the intro. (2 minutes or less) ... post

RAB;
What is written below was all I could come up with after massaging the kinks out of an idea I flirted with in view of a new writing project. In hopes that the execution of the idea will limber up a few looming winter minds, - yes, mine included. Personally, I am feeling more and more like a kilgore trout when I prod myself to post here on maaca, or maybe like a George Constansa, but that latter comparison is so blatantly lacking in originality that it could only come from a victim of popular culture.

And yes, even now at the tail ass end of 2022, so many things continue to happen in a day, and not many of us seem to recognize the opportunity in recounting stories as an educational tool for the upcoming generations growing up in this latest wasteland the screwheads are cultivating to a tee before abandoning ship once again. Just even being able to appreciate day to day stories is key, even if they harbour an occasional inflammatory nature they may just end up being didactic for those who are actually listening. Sometimes the stories are the same for the sake of repetition & hammering the point home, and sometimes they waver in a more subtle manner for the sake of creativity. Regardless, it is always a gamble to express oneself within these nervous times. There are so many nay sayers out there in this shameless, loud and stupid culture of resentment & petty jealousy, that even telling a story is like playing russian roulette with more ideas than the empty available chambers. Judgement has replaced questioning and information is replacing truth for the many who feel that they are "in the know". And since it is so much easier to judge than to be curious, why bother with thinking since we understand everything so immediately now.

WARLOCK:
1:) One can only be in the literal "slaughterhouse" when such literary ideas come to an end. 2:) Tabarnoche Costansa...
3:) Obsolescence didactic. 4:) "Chick" : "Chick" ; Load the chamber. Think and hope for results. THEY/WE : Are what we really are.
Last edited by WARLOCK on Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

More soon once I actually read this post in due course with some time spent.
All the best my friends as usual. (further response later) And see you all soon en route.

RAB (Robert) and myself (Warlock) ((Scott)) are re-emerging and bantering once again online; uninhibited "me-hopes".
We are "playing" with ideas that we hope are "ok", and in general; we are selling parts and moving pinball machines about.

Anything we "say" or "state" that may not be understood, it is merely and sincerely meant only for the other; or close friends.
We have to keep this interesting to sell these parts; deliver pins, and do service calls as well as host more pinball events yearly.

Cheers. Salut. And all the very best...
I do hope that we are back, free of encumbrances...

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

@ OTTOgd, ok, ok a toonie it is next time we cross paths Kev. :lol: Hell, I won't even correct the spelling until my debt is paid.

I missed that lonnie thing completely, so if you picked up on that it reassures me to know that some members are reading long posts.

Rab

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

So many service calls lately that some moments are bound to repeat, hence all I can do is "rake" in the best moments. I just dig life these days, I just wish that the world wasn't falling apart. Live existentially as an answer to the what lays ahead, best I can come up with. So the past service weekends were "nuttsy" and non stop and will likely be that way until this foul year expires, may be able to get some rest then.

We started off in N.D.G. a while back fixing Gottlieb EMs. Good coffee and dirty contacts were at the rendez-vous. Joanna was aces working on stuff I told her to troubleshoot while I fixed other stuff the client wanted to improve upon in his line up. The details of the match replay on El Dorado not displaying accurately and things like that. Lovely stuff that FS relay detailing. Jojo fixed stuff the client hadn't noticed but that obviously wasn't quite right. I realized once a again a lesson I learned from doing so many weekly line up checks at North Star before this filthy pandemic hit, the details which are catered to will shine mostly via the amount of maintenance we dedicate to regular repair tasks when it comes to pinball machines. But now, post pandemic, we care less and less about details, the world is accelerating towards some kind of end right now. Don't know what this ending is exactly, but something definitely is on its last leg. Maybe this goes for other stuff as well, like many relationships of all sorts. Just make sure you do not run out of details or stop paying attention to them in whatever you take on. Create an environment through your routines that leaves some room for attention to details, or resign yourself to being ordinary which may well be a form of security in this new age.

The next call after lunch was even more suited to finding out how the detailing of a pinball machine affects the pleasure one can derive from playing, but hell we know this, even though I don't play much anymore. I was just happy to see that the client, (who is mostly a player) beginning to see the difference in his games and how they played when we had the luxury of time to tune a few things up. It is generally difficult to attend to all the details of having a pinball machine play well on a service call. You repair what you are called in for, and if you can swing a tweak or two in between, you do it because you think it matters even if the client doesn't notice that this "something" wasn't quite right. I love that, but time is always the measure for the depth of your life and work. It (time) can be like a life sentence with a jail guard at the gate, or it is like a guy idly leaning on a post smoking a cigarette who quietly reminds you under his breath to stay alert and look around you. I have become that guy now.

Wacka wacka

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

Will it take poetry or math (as discussed with the Warlock over these past few days) in order to describe these pinball weeks of late filled with machines, people, thoughtful encounters, service calls and art. There is no other place I want to be, simply because I am doing what I should be doing.

But since I can't write verse to save my life, and that I am not much for math as the final answer & count as things get closer to being divulged (not that I don't understand how it works) it leaves prose as my most viable option to relay the experiences of this past little while. Life is pretty much where I want it now.

In time, (need to make some and stop letting the context dictate the speed) - I will recount this week and so many others of non stop pinball people. It is Christmas, and I have time for so many more other things than just pinball now.
20211019_102724.jpg
Rab

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

I am not above some poetry,
And I certainly do love math.
Prose is where the brain plays,
When the physics rule the class.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Division ignites conflict.
Destruction comes from greed.
Room for the new age.
To solve the same old disease.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

RAB's comments and observations certainly make me think...
And please don't worry too much about analyzing my poetry or prose.

I will leave you with this intriguing thought about the near future though.
Our/My brand new adult children no longer want what we have and don't need it.

It is fascinating to now see what they think and feel is important.

They certainly don't want the messes that history gives them.

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

WARLOCK wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:56 pm I will leave you with this intriguing thought about the near future though.
Our/My brand new adult children no longer want what we have and don't need it.

It is fascinating to now see what they think and feel is important.

They certainly don't want the messes that history gives them.
Agreed my friend, - placing all my hopes in their world (the youth), - not ours.

And all I can muster and will find in my power to do in order to make things better for them, I will do without hesitation, including fighting the scoundrels, the assholes, the greedheads and especially the bastards of this world. However, the real impetuous and courage to deconstruct and build anew in conjunction with the massive changes ahead will have to come from younger people, especially from those who actually know and realize what time this is in history.

For now, simply hoping that this next new year will be better than the last. (Counting Crows)

Enough !!

At the office now wrapping up some of the details having a bearing on this year which is ending. In retrospect it was one of the fullest years in recent memory assessing it from here, - my current context. Even feels like it was 5 years ago since we had that fucked up climate of a covid curfew in Québec, but it actually went into effect just a few days after the New Years "celebrations" that led us into 2021. That was a difficult year to say the least, but as for 2022, I have too much to say right now. So I will chew on it for a while yet and maybe post some thoughts tonight before going to hang out with some of my neighbours who want to get together and see if there is anything to celebrate, maybe wait for January to babble about it. Don't know. If anything can be said with some certainty, is that we are in a climate of uncertainty and we need to get use to it.

Hugs from a parts and service perspective since that is from where we understand eachother (hopefully) while playing along with a personal disposition of well being in a world that seems on the verge of something major.

Yikes !!

Rab
IMG_20221231_174132.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by R.A.B. »

On this January 2nd, 2023. Some thoughts.

Let us work and hope for good things to take root in 2023, hell that is the best way to lay it down right now. And this is said with caution I must reluctantly admit.

I spent new years eve at a house party and left before midnight because I was exhausted. Would love to hear how other MAACA members greeted 2023 while maybe thinking about 2022. Post your new year events/observations/thoughts etc. here if you dare.

Unfortunately I did not feel what I was hoping to feel that night, but that is not really important. What mattered more was that the others in attendance felt that the year which was ending was not a very good one and that the new year that was now starting should be greeted with fanfare ofcourse, but maybe less enthusiastically celebrated in case it turns out to be another dud.

We are into another year, that is all we know for sure. Carry on. All my hopes for better times.

Rab

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

2022 was far better than it's 2 predecessors.
2020 was terrible and 2021 was quite bleak.

This is from my own unique viewpoint only.
However, I am quite glad that 2022 is done.