THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Postby R.A.B. » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:15 pm

WARLOCK wrote:Interesting. I just introduced my 14 year old son to that song and band yesterday. Still deliberating if that was good parenting or not.

Someone is going to have to fight for their future, and this time around it ain't going to be the senior citizens, they lie mostly in wait.

Change mostly always comes from a youthful energy that understands that their freedom is at stake, a freedom that they feel is slowly eroding.

I agree that something is deeply wrong in this economy and is being conveniently glossed over, but I think some of the young ones know this as well.

Sparky wrote and I agree :
I may be going deep here, but I believe that we are in a deep financial, moral and spiritual depression, but no one knows it. If people are so desperate to sacrifice friends over making a few bucks off their backs, I think that as a species we are in a very dark place. But, we are told by experts (again, them...) that everything is great. So we tread on
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. A man needs something to do besides contemplate how crazy everyone has become in a world of overly exaggerated self-importance upheld and maintained by the new dumb.

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:50 pm

R.A.B. wrote:
WARLOCK wrote:Interesting. I just introduced my 14 year old son to that song and band yesterday. Still deliberating if that was good parenting or not.

Someone is going to have to fight for their future, and this time around it ain't going to be the senior citizens, they lie mostly in wait.

Change mostly always comes from a youthful energy that understands that their freedom is at stake, a freedom that they feel is slowly eroding.

yeah the youth look at the recent develops across North America and it's not looking good for them. :(
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: 1933 Exhibit Supply Select-Em, 2004 Apollo 1 Arepachi (CRアレパチ アポロ1号), Thunder Dragon Z (CRサンダードラゴンZ), 1932 Gottlieb Cloverleaf, 1964 Wulff Rialto (out for repair), 2015 Ranma 1/2 pachinko (CRA羽根らんま1/2R), Sammy Miracle Hustler Arrangeball, Glory Ball Deluxe (out for repair), スマートボール (Smart Ball) (lent), 1934 PAMCO Contact Master, 1936 Bally Challenger (lent), 1934 Rock-Ola World's Series (out for restoration), 1934 Bally Signal Jr, 1950 Culp Bridge Ball, 1964 Daiwa Pachinko, 1972 CC Mini-Baseball (loan), 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Pace Base Ball, 1931 Pace Whiz Ball, 1932 Bally Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround, 1935 Cannon Fire, 1934 Fleet, 1935 Impact, 1935 Spot-Lite
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Cosmic Avenger, Varkon, Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:56 pm

I watched one of the best hockey games ever!

... well, my son was watching and yelled from upstairs for me to turn on the tv and catch some of the game ending hockey conversation. :oops:

... the Leafsters won, right?

They must have, with Don Cherry sporting that suit!!!
Attachments
20190417_213934.jpg

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:30 pm

Rearranged the project shed. .... ..can't wait to get to Jolly Roger and Pat Hand someday.
Attachments
20190418_131752.jpg
20190418_131735.jpg
20190418_123901.jpg
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Buccaneer/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Space Shuttle/Strange Science/Card Whiz/ Genesis/Bally Circus / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco
Projects- Jolly Rodger/Stratoflite/Pat Hand/ Tri Zone
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:12 pm

But first a teardown of Strange Science PF now. Should be interesting judging by this plastic. A wing nut, a bolt, and the 3rd hole has nothing. Like that all over....

Edit. ....Oops, wrong thread. My bad.
Attachments
20190418_154944.jpg
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Buccaneer/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Space Shuttle/Strange Science/Card Whiz/ Genesis/Bally Circus / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:04 pm

I am by far not a big fanboy when it comes to "the rules", but sometimes, especially in these times of dubious clarity, we may still be required or called upon to keep a semblance of order when we can manage some form of it.

You know those new terms like "alternative truths" and "shithouse facebook fiascos" tearing people up and leading to self esteem issues via social media, with bullying and sometimes even suggestive suicide struggles through gen gaps and competitive hatred and judgement instead of the latter being replaced by curiosity as a healthier way of seeing things you don't readily accept or even understand. What a mess. So it is nice to have some order at home, and in real life, now isn't it ?

This here thread is named "the MAACA daily news, a daily read about YOU the members" and not just about what you are working on or playing with as far as pinballs and such are concerned, And unless you have a human angle involving some aspect of you (the member) that will hopefully make us think, and at best will read like a good article or story or poem would, otherwise, there is no reason to post in this here thread. There is the "What did you do today in the hobby" thread to accommodate these posts about machines and what you do with them. Let's just try and keep it orderly. Yeah, I know, this here thread (the daily news) can be accused of being a touchy feely, cryptic, coded and too confusing of a thread to be here on a god-dam amusement machine forum and it often just makes no sense to the general population. But that is precisely what I think we need more of in this mostly dry empiricist information age. More touching and feeling and thinking and questioning and exchanging ideas and emotions and get them flowing back and forth before taking action instead of just blowing your indignant wad on facebook and thinking it means something. Studies have shown that this latest lack of social activism is directly related to people feeling like they have actually done something for a cause by posting about it somewhere on the web. Wrong, - that is where they want to keep your anger and your protests, making noise and being harmless and thinking that you may actually have a voice on your own that is heard and considered while we all get railroaded to new heights by "the man". But I digress, once again. So that is what the Daily News is about to me, expressing what the hell is going on with you and in that thing with hair on top of your body that moves you around in the real world and that which may even get others thinking, responding and hopefully doing in respect to ideas.

Back to my original intention for this post, we have another thread for talking about your coin op projects and escapades and such for people who don't care to deal with the ideas and questions in their heads having to do with anything other than amusement games, which is totally fine, so It is appropriately called - What did you do today in the hobby, and it works pretty well in living up to that title. In fact it is the most popular thread ever, and rightly so since this forum is about coin op amusements as a a hobby and not the human condition. Makes sense, no ? I hardly ever post there (the what did you do today in the hobby) since my hobbies have to do with other things than coin op amusement games these days and are likely too perverse to list there, so I touch on them occasionally in the Maaca Daily News - your daily read about us the members, I feel safe here to be who I am. This is where you can give news about what you do besides fix games and set them up and play them and drool over them. Hey, come to think about it, this coin operated hobby is pretty perverse as well. So be it and thank you for your time.

Please do not take offense to this reminder, some on-line comments and explanations can be very touchy to people who are not sure what is being said at base, I am just trying to keep some order, and this may just be another stupid attempt at making sense of things for my own sake, so in that case, forget about it completely and post where the hell you want, just keep it flowing. :lol:

Hugs,

Rab
Last edited by R.A.B. on Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 am, edited 14 times in total.

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. A man needs something to do besides contemplate how crazy everyone has become in a world of overly exaggerated self-importance upheld and maintained by the new dumb.

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:31 pm

Today I did not write any post on maaca. :thinking
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:26 pm

For some reason, (likely because I am working on my book tonight) I was thinking about an old long gone operator and righteous business man, and so I looked up an old post and was glad to find this story from Sept. 2013. Maybe this also came to me because I am in the midst of the next generation of operators these days and thought that maybe they may profit from an icon's words. Yes, the world has changed and so has the way we do business, but one thing you can't change in just a couple of decades is the importance of human contact and negotiation, one that ultimately ends up profiting all the parties involved.

Bill died while still working in his mid 80's and the post below is from over five years ago, so it is fantastic that we have the internet to allow us in remembering and hopefully relearn stuff if we can open our minds enough to grasp the past context and muster the attention it takes to understand what no longer exists.

Bill Delabough is still working, - well, as much as he can these days. Bill is 84 and recovering from prostate cancer. Nowadays, we use the term "recovering", but at 84 your chances of getting your spunk back are slim to none, and I know, that Bill knows that from just talking with him. So he does what a man should and has to do,- he keeps working. One of his sons, or his son in law drives him around in a big old white Cadillac from location to location in the Cornwall area along the 401 where Bill still operates a few pieces of equipment, plush cranes mostly. He wheels and deals product to put in the cranes and goes around wheeling and dealing with his clients and suppliers (myself included) on a regular basis. (Bet ya didn't know that I sell plush toys too ?)

Bill has been in the business since the age of 18, and has over 63 years working for himself on the road and collecting coin. He learned the trade working for Harry Ing of Standard Novelty back in the late 40's. Standard Novelty had one of the largest routes in Eastern Canada. So when Bill got married in 1950, he asked his boss for a 3 dollar a week raise from the 15 he was earning to make ends meet. The answer was a long time coming, and when Bill asked again, Harry said that he couldn't afford it. Harry is the dude in the top left picture of the "mugshot sheet" from a 1950's Canadian Coinbox trade magazine, and I am pretty sure that Harry could have afforded to pay Bill the 12 quarters, or 60 nickels more a week he needed.

Canadian Coin Box operators.jpg
Canadian Coin Box operators.jpg (44.2 KiB) Viewed 574 times

So Bill did what any responsible man from his era would do, he quit and started his own business and used what he learned working for Standard Novelty to build a life for himself. He borrowed $3000 from an old acquaintance he met in a pool hall and told me his name (Jim Melon), but said that I wouldn't know him anyway. He then went and bought a Genco pinball machine, a United bowler and a rifle game from a distributor in Montreal, not Laniel but from a distributor called Roxy Novelty. Bill being quite young and new at this, said that he overpaid for his first machines. By the 1960's Bill had put his old boss pretty much out of business and built up a huge route along the 401 from Oshawa to Montreal, operating all types of coin op amusements and vending machines in all the locally owned rest areas, motels and truck stops. He ran his operations under Morrisburg Music, a company he started and built as a young family man and ran the business until he turned 70. Bill is more than well off, and has been for a long time, and a few times over after that, but he keeps making money everyday, because that is what he always did.

Today at the parts counter Bill was tired, more than usual, and confided in me that he has been having a tough time lately. Saying that some days are much worse than others. He had called me earlier in the week to tell me that he was coming to Montreal on Thursday, and would I be in the office that day. I said yes, and then he asked if I had received some new stock of plush toys and if I had a special type of fluorescent lamp that goes into the 42" Pinnical crane machines from ICE. Yes.

At a certain point in our conversation he asked about Gerry O'Rielly, and if I had seen him recently.

Bill had done tons of business with the O'Riellys over the years.

"Not since his wife's funeral", I answered, - then Bill said, "Is he still doing business ?"

"As far as I know", I answered.

"What's happening with the court case ?"

"I don't know Bill, but I am sure Gerry can drag this thing out if need be, he's got the lawyers."

"Yeah he isn't going to run out of money any time soon that's for sure, but you know what," pause - "why would you want all that trouble with the law ? And what a pack of trouble for all the money he made, - to hell with it, you can't really do anything with it at our age anyways, and you certainly can't take it with you when you die, - it is of absolutely no use where we are going."

"I know Bill, but don't you take comfort in the fact that you worked hard all your life, never had too much trouble with the law and now you are surrounded by friends and family who obviously care for you ?"

"Yeah, that's for sure, but I sure as hell wish I wasn't so tired all the time and could do more."

"Everyman has to wind it down Bill at some point if he isn't stopped by something drastic, and maybe you just need to keep working like you do in order to feel happiness at this stage of your life."

"Guess so, - and remember, don't forget about me Robert if I don't see you again."

"I won't Bill, you are an inspiration."

I can imagine Bill as a young man working long late hours on the old and lonely Trans-Canada highway, and probably old highway 2 as well. Stopping in to see established and new clients and making deals here and there, installing new equipment and doing service calls and PR late at night. And I can also see why he built such a huge and profitable route, he is still a sharp and likeable guy, always willing to work a deal that benefits both parties. That hasn't changed with age, but what has changed is that he is no longer a young dynamo of an operator who identified opportunity all along the roads he traveled on.

I took a moment today at work to write this, because it seemed alot more real than what I was doing. All this purchasing and selling I do daily by e-mails with people I will likely never meet. Sometimes I feel that I am working in a dream by the new virtue and wonder of not having to talk to anybody while making a living anymore, and not really living my life through what I do daily. Bill reminds me that it wasn't like that not so long ago, and that things have changed radically in a very short time.

Rob

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:46 pm

Everyman; has to wind down, eventually.
But our time; is not even close yet my friend.

Perhaps we are no longer the young dynamo's we once were. We lament this more than most.
But; we are certainly quite far from the finish line that we ourselves require and others expect of us.

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:10 pm

New hip! New hip! !
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Guard wrote:New hip! New hip! !

hip hip hooray :bananadance
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:43 pm

Guard wrote:New hip! New hip! !

Awesome news, congrats.

And The Hip were awesome too.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Wed May 01, 2019 6:55 am

Congrats on the new hip Gaurd. Lots of those getting replaced these days.

With the majority of the guys and gals on MAACA leaving for Allentown, we are surely close to spring via this yearly 4 day migration. Here's to wishing everyone heading down there a great trip.

Word of warning : Bank-Coil and mbudman will be at the show, they asked me to ride with them, but for my own sanity I politely declined. Each one of those members on his own is something to be reckoned with and I can usually handle that pretty well, but together that is something else all together. Best to give them space when you see them coming. Luckily, they will be spending the majority of their time at the aquarium and museums and touristy sights in Philidelphia, but when they are at the show it is good advice to be on you guard. :D This is all tounge and cheek really, but you may find yourself in left field faster than you can say WTF, despite your best intentions. So here is wishing everyone a good time.

Rob

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Mon May 06, 2019 11:19 pm

Spring has sprung south of the border...finally...
It is warm, the leaves are out and the flowers are blooming.

Springtime is approaching and winter does end quite soon my friends...

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Mon May 06, 2019 11:54 pm

So much to post and report in the last 12 months or more.
I need to head to Montreal soon and speak with my older brother.
Then have my younger brother join us or go and speak to him in St. Laz.
Then head west and pick up two further siblings in Hawkesbury and Ottawa.

Head under the stars in Gatineau with a fantastic uncle and perhaps a few other close relatives.
I am not sure I can make coherent sense of this world anymore. But, I certainly know whom to talk to and to try...

Thank you my friends. Cheers. Salut. I owe you all so much more than I can articulate or possibly convey. More soon. Universe willing...

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Tue May 07, 2019 7:03 pm

WARLOCK wrote:So much to post and report in the last 12 months or more.
I need to head to Montreal soon and speak with my older brother.
Then have my younger brother join us or go and speak to him in St. Laz.
Then head west and pick up two further siblings in Hawkesbury and Ottawa.

Head under the stars in Gatineau with a fantastic uncle and perhaps a few other close relatives.
I am not sure I can make coherent sense of this world anymore. But, I certainly know whom to talk to and to try...

Thank you my friends. Cheers. Salut. I owe you all so much more than I can articulate or possibly convey. More soon. Universe willing...

You are always welcome in MTL Scott, as I know I am always welcome in T.O. This is a powerful privilege we have acquired through our responsibility in being honest and good and straight up in the hobby, and now we can move that towards the business side of it all with that acumen acquired through the hobby and apply it to operating cool unordinary games and in making them available to the youth of our times. That is our statement. We have to stand out from the crowd and from what is mainstream. We must always look for what is cooler than what is just commonplace and repetitive. So we must work together again and build something that is solid and seriously out of the ordinary, and since we have done this before, we will do it again. This idea is not only about money, making money is simple and one-dimensional and anyone can follow trends to earn some - that is not who we are. So we will need to build something amazing again before we give up our ghosts, agreed ? There may be enough time if my calculations are correct. :shock:

There are many people that think that being in business means they can lie and cheat and spew non-sense when in the face of the obvious and that it is all ok to respond to logic without thinking first and simply regurgitate something or other they heard. It is never OK in my book to not think and question, and I try very hard to minimize contact with people who do not think for themselves and who will make commonplace choices instead of taking a shot at the extraordinary. I know that the world has changed and the next generation of followers is gearing up to take the helm, so I will have to work with people of similar persuations in a way that stands up for knowledge gained through experience. I will not change the world, and I certainly won't let it change me so much that I have to accept its most recent fly by night non-sense, I like myself enough to be honest and true, and I respect my own trajectory enough to follow through to the end. I am fortunate to have so many friends and people and clients and backers who are willing to help in any way they can to prove that the real essence of life is not about being a follower and unimaginative, it is about giving other human beings who are trapped in the shackles of one dimensional thinking something they may have never thought about before.

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Wed May 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Agreed. Amen my brother.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 am

I took some time away from my parts dept. duties this morning to put the correct length/style legs on a few of the pinball machines in the large front showroom. Some were too high and some were too low, it all worked out to factory in the end.

There are 13 working pinballs along the wall below illuminated classic backglasses in frames. There are some drivers, arcade games, and other stuff when you enter this old building through the front door and past the receptionist area where no one sits anymore. Some of the coin operated equipment on display is archaic and that is quite alright with me. This place is plain weird and very cool at the same time, so I feel right at home here doing what I do. i.e. selling parts, fixing em's and helping Pierre straighten this place out occasionally like I did this morning. Baby steps are allowed here, no radical changes permitted in order not to throw away what was and could be again. And again, that is totally alright with me.

Those of you who have been in the big boss man's office and listened to him tell stories know what I mean. His office is the most wonderful place filled with meaningful artifacts, framed documents, old bar equipment and many more cool objects that speak to his almost 7 decades in the business. Objects from as far back as the turn of the 19th to 20th century. Yes, times have changed, but this place hasn't so much. Hell, I am the youngest employee here, (go figure) and believe it or not, I am the one showing them stuff on the crt screens of the computers that are still managing to function.

Then it occured to me that many MAACA members from outside the greater Montreal area probably have never seen this old time operator/distributor's shop, showroom, attics, offices, conference room and other dark corners in this Town of Mount Royal industrial building near the railroad tracks. So I started carrying my phone around and began taking pictures when I walk past stuff that is more or less normal to me, but which I believe would spark some of your imaginations in turn. I started doing this last week because I have recently taken a liking to photo compilations on youtube much more than watching videos. I believe that photo essays leave more to the viewers imagination than narrated/spoken video clips which feed you another person's perception via moving pictures, words and sounds that I believe somewhat limit the use of your own imagination. You are sort of force fed and subjected to the flow of consciousness of someone else's idea of what they see. Often when watching these we do not even know the people posting them, yet we trust them with our time and consciousness. Photo essays do this as well, but to a lesser extent, leaving more wiggle room for your own thoughts to unfold from the images floating by. I like that.

But back to amusements, I have the intention of putting together a photo essay before this place changes too much or disappears altogether and then post it here so you can see what I see daily, well, sort of, I have an imagination as well you know. Historically this place gives me a fizz, and I find that feeling to be exceptional these days. And that something other than a woman's springtime smile can still give me a fizz I believe is a very good sign, a sign that there is still a good chunk of life left in me regardless of being use to living and waking up each morning.

Let's face it, the coin operated amusements business was always "cowboyish" and not really suited to corporate culture, especially at the operating and distributor levels. Manufacturing however was often incorporated by the necessity of managing large size production, assets and running an efficient large organization as well as having rules and meetings to deal with the shareholders and the unions. Below the supply chain of corporate manufacturers were distributors and operators. They were smaller, usually family run and needed to be flexible by the very nature of their activities. Being flexible on a dime is a real quality when you are working at street level. Flexibility is not so common and quick to happen in the corporate world, and again, it is absolutely necessary when you work on the road and operate equipment in various businesses often run by a wide variety of characters. In my book, that road on which coin operated amusements ride can not be easily saddled or tamed. It would mean losing a certain saavy for quick and sharp turns. Card swipes are so dry compared to dropping a coin for which the client knows the exact value. And that is the best analogy I can think of when comparing corporate practises to entrepreneurship with street sense. The business acumen of real leaders depends not only on what they know, but on what they learn to anticipate simply by knowing what their business does everyday. From their service vehicles tires on the road at all hours to the accountant's pen on the ledger. So it makes sense that I fit in here and would want to share it with people's imagination, call me a romantic - I do not google my answers, I learn them. May take longer, but makes for talking to more people. Put a filter on the latter by choosing your entourage of people. Choose the people who are thinking and/or questioning for themselves instead of repeating what majority said, makes for a more interesting life process.

In my mindset, reality is so much more interesting than the fabricated hype we usually see on websites for companies that choose to reflect an impression of what isn't really happening, it is just meant to look impressive. The "ooh-ha" factor is powerful. Still, I believe that reality still rules and it is good to know it, and that is why I want to do a photo essay and not a walk through video with my babbling influencing your imagination. I rather let people with an interest in coin-operated games imagine and trust themselves instead of having an augmented reality thrown at them declaring truth through information as its primary goal and noble purpose. Many of today's youth are starting to believe what they see on their screens more than what they hear, see or learn directly through experience. Looking at your cell phone while walking in the streets is more common than ever and speaks volumes about putting a shade over reality & process in order to feel immediately informed. Controlling information has never been so profitable than it is now in this new age. Corporations have learned to treat the consumer as a product instead of an individual with a capacity to choose, this reversal of roles between the product and the consumer has proved more profitable than when it was the other way around. Leaving choice to the consumer is not good for profit, but paradoxically allowing them to believe that they are a unique individual with personal tastes is. Granted, businesses have always known how and to what extent they could bullshit and manipulate those who are not questioning much, but the tools they now have at their marketing disposal are so much more effective. Signals coming off an LCD screen right through one's optical nerves transmitted directly into a brain inches behind the eyes. The info, whatever it is, is quick, fast paced, compact and slammed into our heads everywhere that there is a screen. Very little time to filter, let alone question when the images and sounds speed into that already overloaded biological and anxious hard drive most of us have in our heads leaving very little chance at imagination to take root. And that is why I still like still pictures, allows time for my mind to react.

What about you, had time to think and adjust things in your reality recently ?
Last edited by R.A.B. on Sun May 19, 2019 9:13 am, edited 6 times in total.

Dave W.
MAACA Mage

Postby Dave W. » Fri May 17, 2019 2:20 pm

R.A.B. wrote: Yes, times have changed, but this place hasn't so much.

Then it occured to me that many MAACA members from outside the greater Montreal area proabaly have never seen this old time operator/distributor's shop, showroom, attics, offices, conference room and other dark corners in this Town of Mount Royal industrial building

I get a kick out visiting Alouette!
It really is a time capsule from the 80s, or earlier in some areas. Since you're there now, we get to actually visit the boneyard upstairs and the warehouse area... pretty damn cool!
See you in a couple of weeks RAB

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Sun May 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Excellent post Robert. Thinking hard these days.
Will be adjusting my reality to compensate for the new "reality".

It will take some time and considerable effort. Spring has barely sprung here...
Stopped and took a photo of a blooming tree in our hood that seems to know something...

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Sat May 25, 2019 11:26 am

Tied my own shoe for the first time in 4 months...no going out in the snow in slippers next winter. 4 weeks since the new hip and now it just feels like a sports injury that's getting better everyday.
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Sat May 25, 2019 11:29 am

Tied my own shoe for the first time in 4 months...no going out in the snow in slippers next winter. 4 weeks since the new hip and now it just feels like a sports injury that's getting better everyday. Time to head out and putter on Pat Hand.....30 years sitting in a barn. Made some progress yesterday just to make sure its worth it but today is clean/tighten every switch and Jones plug.
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:14 am

These quick changes in the weather have got me reeling for meaning. Full moon two days ago, hence lots of nervous, anxious and vocal characters populating the context during the past little while. A bit nerve racking, but nothing too big to handle. What is growing is what has got me keeping my eyes and mind peeled to the ground.

Oh well, what you gonna do. Really just going along my business and looking out for trouble. Not really interested in stirring things up too much, certainly don't want to create a semblance of something going on, or take on too much more if I can help it. Yet, there is certainly a kind of quiet here and there, just like before something actually happens. Kinda liking and enjoying the quiet, for now.

Resting, pondering and planning the next thing I want to contribute to the world of pinball and philosophy and literature and leisure playfulness.

Keep a good thought folks, I believe this is a time for change.

Sincerely,

R.A.B.

20190620_101203.jpg

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:02 pm

Say no more - repetition rules.

20190529_191225.jpg

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”