THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Postby R.A.B. » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:04 am

Friday was "one of those days", and I thought briefly about what that now means in these times as opposed to what it use to mean to my father when he use to say it back in the 70's and 80's.

So before falling into a deep slumber late that night with a smile on my face, I realized that our condition as adult males has improved significantly on many levels as our roles change. It can be confusing, but it can also be liberating. That whole free from leading to free for.

Yes, the world seems to be changing more rapidly these days it seems. May be because we know more about what is happening across the world faster than we ever did. Yet, despite this acute information overload of the changes taking place which I will never totally understand, I was extremely satisfied with what I had accomplished via "one of those days".

I felt purpose and meaning because others reacted positively to my actions. Crazy stuff ahead.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. A man needs something to do besides contemplate how crazy everyone has become in a world of overly exaggerated self-importance upheld and maintained by the new dumb.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Postby Sparky » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Starting week 7 in a row of extensive travelling each week. Mind you, 2 weeks ago was a vacation (took my wife to London and Paris for her 40th birthday), but I miss my own bed and being surrounded by my family and my own things.

It's been hard. Especially lately. But I must agree with Robert. Life is good. Truly... it is. Warlock asked me on Friday as I drove home how I was. And I was sincere when I said awesome, and that life was good.

But lately, I also have been getting messages from the universe that as life may be great, it is also fragile. I lost a friend a month ago, and as I got home this Friday, my mom was home babysitting my kids, and my "radar" went off. 20+ years of playing poker has taught me how to "read" people. My mom fessed up and gave me some terrible news. I will leave it to that as I am not comfortable to discuss it openly, and this forum is not about buzzkills. Negativity breeds negativity. So let's switch it around.

You have one go-around on this mudball. No do-overs. No Mulligans. No 1-Ups. Live life and enjoy it like playing Super Mario on one life and finishing it. Jump those turtles, grab them coins, smash them blocks, run up the stairs and ride the flagpole

uh... yeah, well, just enter the castle and set off fireworks.

This said.... I am not GAME OVER.... but my resolution is. LOL

More on that soon....

But for now, I am in Milwaukee now and off to give a class tomorrow morning for the week.

I got levels to finish.
Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Guard » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:27 pm

I'm always happy because I'm so simple....I wake up take deep breath, check,....do an apendage count, all 5 are there?...check....voila, it's a good day.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Buccaneer/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Pat Hand /Strange Science/Card Whiz/ Genesis/Jolly Roger / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco
Projects- Jacks Open /Stratoflite/ Tri Zone
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Postby R.A.B. » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:14 am

It has been a beautiful couple of days with the weather being more moderate as far as the heat and humidity is concerned.

Been doing research on the pre-flipper era and fixing stuff from that time and letting my imagination run through all that period of time. I realized that it takes time for things to acquire a soul of sorts, and I guess that goes for us as well, it takes time, no two ways about it. Time and a disposition to learning and absorbing what makes us grow beyond what is ordinary and made readily available. I do not feel like new pinballs have a soul yet, they are not old enough to have acquired that "something" about them, they all seem the same. As well, the fact that there seem to be less emphasis on quality these days may have something to do with soul being less prone to develope. I play a new Stern and feel nothing, I play certain DMDs and am starting to feel like they may have something about them that will permit them to grow a soul. Weird, I must be too connected to these things, but so what, I find some people interesting as well and I guess soul makes more sense when you are talking about something that is alive, but then again......who knows.

OK, back to Ancient Greek Philosophy and Fishing on the bored index. :D

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. A man needs something to do besides contemplate how crazy everyone has become in a world of overly exaggerated self-importance upheld and maintained by the new dumb.

mrmikeman
MAACA Motormouth

Postby mrmikeman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:34 am

Sparky wrote:
But lately, I also have been getting messages from the universe that as life may be great, it is also fragile. I lost a friend a month ago, and as I got home this Friday, my mom was home babysitting my kids, and my "radar" went off. 20+ years of playing poker has taught me how to "read" people. My mom fessed up and gave me some terrible news. I will leave it to that as I am not comfortable to discuss it openly, and this forum is not about buzzkills. Negativity breeds negativity. So let's switch it around.

You have one go-around on this mudball. No do-overs. No Mulligans. No 1-Ups. Live life and enjoy it like playing Super Mario on one life and finishing it. Jump those turtles, grab them coins, smash them blocks, run up the stairs and ride the flagpole

I have reached the point where I also have come to the same conclusion. Do the things that make you happy while you can. Life can throw curve balls at you all the time and although most people can adapt to those changes, it's also the time where lots of folks come to the realization that "I should have...done this, that, etc".

I am doing a career "adjustment" in about a month, but my days in this outfit are counted. They have damaged me to the point where I may not meet the required physical levels to keep my job. They certainly are compensating me for that but this is where I am thinking that I should do the fun things now, since there's a good chance that in 5-10 years, my mobility will be hindered significantly and it'll be too late to say "I should have"...

Hence the return to the hobby (and my first NIB on the way). The trip to Disney with my gf. The switch from the Reg Force to Reservist with the associated "double dipping". Do it while you can. I'm not scared of aging, but it does make me sad to notice the changes in myself, and also the ppl around me. Things can deteriorate so fast.. Make the best of what life offers you.

Yesterday my dad came over to play STTNG since he owned one for many years. It was nice to see him smile. It's the little things :)

Have a nice start of the week guys :)

Cheers,
Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - The Captain is back in da houuuuuse
NIB MMr coming 10/2019 (shhhh... It's a secret!) :shock:

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running :D
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... But there were memorable ones such as MB, TZ, LOTR, TSPP, DM, T2, FH, RS, TFTC, HS, and many more...

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Guard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:04 am

That's why I got out after 10 years.....army life wasn't fun anymore, never looked back.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Buccaneer/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Pat Hand /Strange Science/Card Whiz/ Genesis/Jolly Roger / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

mrmikeman
MAACA Motormouth

Postby mrmikeman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:45 am

Guard wrote:That's why I got out after 10 years.....army life wasn't fun anymore, never looked back.

I have reached 30 years in. The annual fitness test is nearly killing me now. Same test whether you are a 20 year old infantry dude or a 50 year old in a desk job. :FP:

Only doing the reservist thing because of the money. Full pay PLUS pension. I'd be stupid not to do it. Hopefully I can get a few years out of my broken old body still.

Cheers,
Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - The Captain is back in da houuuuuse
NIB MMr coming 10/2019 (shhhh... It's a secret!) :shock:

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running :D
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... But there were memorable ones such as MB, TZ, LOTR, TSPP, DM, T2, FH, RS, TFTC, HS, and many more...

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Guard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:25 am

mrmikeman wrote:
Guard wrote:That's why I got out after 10 years.....army life wasn't fun anymore, never looked back.

I have reached 30 years in. The annual fitness test is nearly killing me now. Same test whether you are a 20 year old infantry dude or a 50 year old in a desk job. :FP:

Only doing the reservist thing because of the money. Full pay PLUS pension. I'd be stupid not to do it. Hopefully I can get a few years out of my broken old body still.

Cheers,

I've now got 30 years in Corrections and managed to stay fit enough until last year (hip, now replaced) to still be on the riot squad. I still love doing the Fitness test, and now that I'm fixed back up I'm aching to get back on, but at almost 60 and retirement not far off, it would just be wasting good resources. The kids piss me off though....they should be lining up to take my old spot and push themselves, but nope.... :roll:
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Postby R.A.B. » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:01 am

As more and more of my friends get older, the more I want to hang out with them and just do stuff, like work on things, discuss ideas and ideally make it to the end of the work day with a sense of accomplishment. Turn the fucking devices off and just hang out with the group of apes that we are and happens to populate your life at this time/present period. (Much like a bunch of us here use to do on Pitt street friday evenings, especially in the summer while watching that summer sky over the Mountain and the City.)

So today, tuesday the 13th of August 2019 I am off to change my back shocks on the Camry with my buddy Dan (tonysoprano on MAACA) in Lasalle, then a service call at Ubisoft World in Pointe-Claire, then one in Dorval on a Cyclone,stop by Alouette, then back home to hang out with some of my neighbours on the grass near the water. One of my neighbours who is turning 55 in December recently went through a surgery and is off work for a month, so we are going for walks and talks and sometimes just sit on the ground and say nothing. It is very comforting for her to have someone listen, and I can do that as well.

Below are some words from whom is quickly becoming my favorite blogger. He seems to be able to put my recent thoughts into words quite well.
His name is David Cain. raptitude.com

My whole life, no matter where I’ve lived, what my job was, or what I was preoccupied with, one consistent source of comfort and peace has been idly hanging around with other people at the end of the day.

I’ve always appreciated the calming effect of slow evening hangouts with friends or family. But recently I’ve come to think of it as something essential to our health.

The location doesn’t matter really. A back porch. A coffee place. A front step. A bench facing some kind of water. You just need to be with one or more people you like, and you need it to be the latter hours of the day.

It doesn’t work if the sun’s too high. The sky should be kind of lazy-looking. All people present need to be done work for the day, both physically and mentally, for that soothing late-day mood to happen.

I remember many days that went badly—bombing exams, getting dumped, losing something—ending with a measure of peace because they ended in a nice sit-around with some friends, or my folks, on a deck or in a park somewhere.

As far as I know, this sort of quiet, casual gathering is something that happens every evening, everywhere in the world—on porches, patios, and verandas, in pubs, teahouses, living rooms, and basements, around truck tailgates or circles of haybales, in tenement courtyards, common rooms, and hotel lobbies, on concrete stoops and sandy beaches, around public fountains and chess tables in the park.

Everywhere people live, when the “doing” part of the day is over, people gravitate towards these kinds of spaces, and each other, to just kind of be rather than do. By then, everyone’s done a whole day’s worth of stuff and they don’t want to do much else, except maybe enjoy each other’s company in the wake of it all.

You have no duties at the idle late-day gathering. It’s okay to chat, and okay not to. You can talk about your day, or something else entirely.

Because it’s getting on, the sky is often gorgeous. Maybe there are some long, pink clouds, or just that clear-sky glowing horizon effect. The soundscape is softer too. Rush hour is over, and everyone who’s moving is moving slower.

Everyone knows this distinct feeling of ending the day alongside others. It’s a nameless human institution. It isn’t particular to any class or culture. It serves us all, and we did it long before there were cities, careers, or news cycles.

And I think that’s exactly why it’s so compelling. It must be deep in our blood. Our pre-agrarian ancestors probably would have gathered like this most nights. It would be inevitable—as soon as someone builds an evening fire, people can’t help but gather around it. That’s where the food is, where the light is, where the company is. No matter what was on your mind, you’d just find yourself going over there.

So it’s no wonder we feel that aura of comfort and ease at these casual, end-of-day sit-arounds, even while we’re still aware of our big-picture troubles. There, around the fire, might be the only place every basic human need can be satisfied: security, warmth, food, intimacy, and the sense that you’re being included, and maybe even understood, by the other humans.

You can see how getting together like this would have helped us stay sane and healthy. Listening to the stories and opinions of others would help each person put their own concerns and troubles in context. You’d learn how more experienced people think about what you’re thinking about. You’d learn what’s a big deal and what isn’t.

In a sense, nature trained us, over eons, to congregate at the end of the day. It feels good to us because it fulfills so many of our fundamental needs. It’s like a human-development multivitamin. So of course it feels like an oasis when we get together like that—for most of human history it was as indispensable as potable water.

Like so many natural and healthy things, we’re now in danger of getting away from it. We can get our utilitarian communications done without actually seeing anybody. We can placate our worried minds with screens. We can Google solutions to our dilemmas instead of bringing them before our peers.

These days I’m including late-day hanging out on the same short list as vegetables, exercise, and certain other vital health supports that get easily neglected in our strange, convenience-focused, entropy-inducing modern environment. It’s probably not possible to do it every day, but a couple of times a week? Yes.

Given all the other mind-and-body-warping effects of modern life—our industrialized diets, jobs that barely require our bodies, handheld devices engineered to preoccupy us—we definitely can’t afford to stop getting all the social and spiritual vitamins we used to get almost every time the sun went down.

All you need are a nice sky and some nice people, and most of a day behind you.

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Guard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:56 pm

About to head to Pinbar in Calgary.
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”