THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
JamesSchid
MAACA Silent Type

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Post by JamesSchid »

Approximate no more!

I found the relevant by-law ("règlement", in French) documents on the city of Montreal website. One just had to know the magic combination of options and keywords for the search.

The first two are in French and available in PDF format.

Règlement #2223 : as of May 1st, 1955 pinballs and bagatelle games are illegal in public spaces in Montreal.

Règlement #2229 : adopted May 5, 1955 (a few days) clarifies the definition of "jeux de boules (pin ball machines) et jeux de bagatelle"... the French text is :
"Tout appareil, dispositif ou mécanisme, fonctionnant au moyen de billes ou boules agissant sur des obstacles qui déclanchent un allumage de lampes ou l'apparition de numéros ou qui produisent des effets analogues, utilisé ou destiné à être utilisé pour fins d'amusement ou de récréation, dont la mise en mouvement requiert l'usage de pièces de monnaie ou de jetons quelconques, et dont le maniement, suivant l'habileté de l'opérateur, produit des résultats différents."

which I'll translate to :
"Any device or mechanism, operating by means of marbles or balls acting on obstacles which trigger the lighting of lamps or the appearance of numbers or which produce similar effects, used or intended to be used for amusement or recreation, the setting in motion of which requires the use of any coins or tokens, and the handling of which, depending on the skill of the operator, produces different results."

Règlement #5156 repealed #2223 and #2229 in Sept. 1977, i.e. allows pinballs, but only in amusement halls, which have a particular definition. This document is bilingual. At the federal level, there was Bill C-71.

-- James.

My post on amusement machines spotted in movies during the period when pinball was illegal :
https://pinballspotting.blogspot.com/20 ... treal.html

By-law lookup : http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page ... ema=PORTAL

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Post by R.A.B. »

JamesSchid wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:11 pm
Approximate no more!

I found the relevant by-law ("règlement", in French) documents on the city of Montreal website. One just had to know the magic combination of options and keywords for the search.

The first two are in French and available in PDF format.

Règlement #2223 : as of May 1st, 1955 pinballs and bagatelle games are illegal in public spaces in Montreal.

Règlement #2229 : adopted May 5, 1955 (a few days) clarifies the definition of "jeux de boules (pin ball machines) et jeux de bagatelle"... the French text is :
"Tout appareil, dispositif ou mécanisme, fonctionnant au moyen de billes ou boules agissant sur des obstacles qui déclanchent un allumage de lampes ou l'apparition de numéros ou qui produisent des effets analogues, utilisé ou destiné à être utilisé pour fins d'amusement ou de récréation, dont la mise en mouvement requiert l'usage de pièces de monnaie ou de jetons quelconques, et dont le maniement, suivant l'habileté de l'opérateur, produit des résultats différents."

which I'll translate to :
"Any device or mechanism, operating by means of marbles or balls acting on obstacles which trigger the lighting of lamps or the appearance of numbers or which produce similar effects, used or intended to be used for amusement or recreation, the setting in motion of which requires the use of any coins or tokens, and the handling of which, depending on the skill of the operator, produces different results."

Règlement #5156 repealed #2223 and #2229 in Sept. 1977, i.e. allows pinballs, but only in amusement halls, which have a particular definition. This document is bilingual. At the federal level, there was Bill C-71.

-- James.

My post on amusement machines spotted in movies during the period when pinball was illegal :
https://pinballspotting.blogspot.com/20 ... treal.html

By-law lookup : http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page ... ema=PORTAL

Thanks James for taking the time to dig up the legal dope and the exact dates of these Montreal by-laws.

As always, when more precise info comes to light, new questions are generated. I am not making this shit up, I have questions, but no worries I think I can offer some answers as to why bingo machines especially were still being operated on the island of Montreal during that 20 year span. As well, there were many pinball machines on the Main, usually deep in the back of various stores. I was told that this was common practise in those years, especially when you knew the cops in your hood and had an understanding of what you could offer them as a gratuitie so as to have them look the other way. Apparently, It was just business on the Main.

According to the pdf of by-law #2229, fines of $100 or 60 days in the icebox was the penalty for getting caught operating a "jeux de boules". And if you paid the fine at anytime after being locked up, you were immediately released, so a good place to take a break if you needed one. Christ, according to a retired amusement machine vet I still know to this day, a bingo machine could take in 1000$ a week in a busy spot. So if they were being operated on the slide in the back rooms of restaurants and corner stores, you can probably still estimate a weekly take of about 500 bones in nickels. An operator who had 10 to 20 of these on the road must have been rolling in it and pretty busy collecting up and down his route making good cash money every single day of the week. The fine at that point I reckon would have been more of an inconvenience than a deterrent, so the real hassle I would venture to say would have been to have your equipment seized and having to find another location. Making a trip to Laniel Amusements on Notre-Dame street was also likely required. In any case, I bet you a lot of those operator fines were paid in nickels.

One should also remember that pinballs and bingos were more than likely still being operated without too many hassles in the Laurentians, Eastern townships all outside Montreal island where there were likely fewer restrictive by laws, if any.

George Dragouniss of Playmore Music was one of my mentors and also a good friend. We met in the late 80's and he died in the mid 90's. We use to go on home service calls together when there was a jukebox (I wasn't any good at fixing some of those, still ain't) and pinball in the same home. He was a master with Seeburgs and mechanical slots.

During those road trips and all the time we spent having coffee and apple pie on the way there and back, he had plenty of time to tell me stories about raids and payola. He just wanted someone to listen, and I did and wrote stuff down when I got back home.

Drapeau wanted to clean up the streets of Montreal, but the police and some of the municipal staff were not all saints within that context. The law they would choose to support depended on the amount of money there was in it. George told me that in the late 40's he operated a large route of slot machines in several south shore hotel bars along the 132 and 134. It was quite the hopping scene and very good money. There was a large trunk in his truck filled with nickels and he said that they just took what they needed and never ever counted the booty to the bottom. He would make it a habit to carry gifts with him for the hotel staff whenever he did collection. When there was going to be a police operation he would get a call from a municipal office worker he knew through that grapevine he carefully nurtured and would start picking up his equipment ahead of the police. Obviously this was a service that was being paid back in one way or another, especially when you were in good with someone who knew what was going to go down where & when. George was a very likable character, I learned an awful lot from him and all he wanted in return was for someone to listen to his stories, he was no longer an operator when we met, but was well respected amongst the collector circles of that time. Oh yeah, he would also smoke my cigarettes whenever I bought him coffee and pie in return for his help in fixing jukes, he never wanted any money from me for his help.

George also told me that when his slot machines did get seized, they would be brought to Bordeaux jail and the press would be called in to see the “booty”. They would take pictures of the police officer raising the sledge hammer and holding it up high so every media photographer could get a good pic for the morning edition. Once the journalists left, the cops would put the sledge hammers down and sell the machines back to the operators who had an agreement and whom had been told to wait near by until the coast was clear. So the whole process would start again. It was like paying tax, but not to the public coffers.

Not sure if the above scenario played out the same way with pins and bingos, probably not. Seen news footage of pins and bingos in the 1960's being plowed into what is now a parking lot in Greenfield park, mayor Steve Olnick hated pinballs. So they were definitely being operated during the ban and seized for good press, there was too much money in that racket to not risk the penalties.

I sold many 1950's refurbished bingos to Montrealer's back in the 1990's, for their homes ofcourse. Each and everyone of those older guys I sold to had stories of playing them for payouts as young men. They could be found in snack bars and back rooms all over the Montreal area, so it is apparent that some operators weighed the price of getting caught against the cashbox and figured that the cashboxes were heavy enough to take a chance.

From the mouth of someone who was there (no not me) http://www.montrealpinball.com/blog/?vi ... &year=2009

Version Francaise - http://www.montrealpinball.com/fr/blogue/
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. Some of us need something to do besides contemplate how important everyone has suddenly become in a world of exaggerated self-promotion upheld by the new dumb.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Trying to get a bit of normalcy these days. My stepdad went into the hospital for emergency surgery. He had cancer 5 months ago and had it removed, along with a kidney. And now he developed another cancer, this time very aggressive in the prostate.

So I am throwing myself in work. No choice. Trying not to think about the bad shit. Saturday night helped with a small get-together in my yard. Was nice to chat about bullshit other than disease.

So tomorrow? Sanding bondo. Might even paint this weekend.

Normalcy.
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

I'm so sorry, Ian :(
I feel that dread in my bones.
WANTED: Stern Jurassic Park Pro, 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

It was a good day. I took the opportunity to have some always enlightening conversation with RAB. Otherwise, just getting ready for a roadtrip tomorrow. It will be a long day.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Sparky wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:54 pm
It was a good day. I took the opportunity to have some always enlightening conversation with RAB. Otherwise, just getting ready for a roadtrip tomorrow. It will be a long day.
Good to see you Ian, and I am glad you saw the big boss man walk by the parts counter and took a moment to say hello. Looks good for his mid 80's, don't you think ? I plan on being just like him when I grow up. :? 66 years running his own business and no intention of letting that fade away or ever retiring by choice. I as well have no intention of letting this gig fade away as long as I am here or there or anywhere. I know now with great certainty that whatever this business happens to mutate into in the years to come, I got my end of it covered. Being off work for two months felt like retirement in a way, and I want no part of that, even though I was keeping busy, I still felt an emptiness and a lack of purpose and especially a void of meaning in doing whatever I wanted based on my moods and desires. You need that contrast between difficult days and easy days in order for them (and your life) to have any meaning at all. It is like a rough day on the road and then tasting the reward of the refuge that comes at the end of that day when the work is all done.

DaveW texted me after you left with your parts which I don't believe you really needed, maybe that power supply was legit, but pretty certain you have leg bolts (p/n 4322-01125-40) in your stash somewhere along with lots of other goodies. :lol: Again, good to shoot the shit with you, - mask, plexi separator and all.

But back to Dave's text.

He asked if he could have an extra Alouette plastic bag as a souvenir before they run out or shut the place down. Been using them alot for parts now that this dept. is running at much higher volume than it has in the last decade or so and especially since it has been brought back to life in the last two years after almost totally closing around 2012. Texted Dave that I had a couple of cases of Alouette bags upstairs (500 per) and he can certainly have a case if he likes. A case would even be enough to line his cats litter box for a while or for me to sell him more parts for the next 5 years before plastic bags become illegal, - he didn't text back. LOL.

Alot of people seem to believe that Alouette has run out of steam and can't seem to reinvent itself fast enough to maintain relevance and that they will be closing this year. If that is the case, (and it is not if I have anything to do with it) I strongly suggest that if you have never been here, make the pilgrimage, because it is worth it. This location is something else. Alouette has been in this building since 1969 when is housed 100 plus employees. We are now down to seven employees if that, and the size of this cool building doesn't make sense anymore in lieu of the changes we all need to face this year.
"Don't hit the machines" (just the employees)
"Don't hit the machines" (just the employees)
Too many square feet for so few employees
Too many square feet for so few employees
Case in point, I had a new client from the Ottawa region come in with mbudman when pinheadpat was at the counter bringing me two Bally boards to test for him over the weekend (life and business mixing it up again, and I am totally ok with that by now) and buy some parts for his latest acquisition. The new guy (Victor) was obviously freaked out at the place, with the showroom and conference room looking like something out of the 80's, it seemed to have thrown him off a bit, nice guy though.
Showroom from inside
Showroom from inside
Conference room
Conference room
Service dept. 20-06-05
Service dept. 20-06-05
Showroom pinball row
Showroom pinball row
I didn't show him the rest of the building because of that covid thing, but I would have liked to, he is a Gottlieb dude and so am I. He did buy Gottlieb chime grommets and asked me a technical question about the reset target bank coil firing at the wrong time on his Card Whiz. I needed the schematic in order to show him what to look for. So, the Gottlieb EM paper packages he needed came out of an adjacent office for consultation.
Filling cabinets- manuals
Filling cabinets- manuals
Had one full package envelope for Jumping Jack, and one schematic for Card Whiz and Vic was happy to buy them both and was also blown away at how fast those came out of that room filled with manuals and diagrams. I usually classify the Gottlieb paper first out of all the other brands since I think Gottlieb is the Cadillac of pinball, a sort of pinball prejudice I have for things that are well built. There are over 1000 original manuals here (arcade games, bingos, pinballs and video games of all sorts) in four different parts of the building ranging from the 50's to the early 00's. Not many new Stern docs, and that is just baller with me, can't deal with them anymore or consider them anything close to my idea of quality after seeing them each day for 8 years at P1AG. We are definitely in a different age than when Gottlieb was a 160,000 square foot factory with 1000 employees a day building pinballs that are still running strong to this day. American workmanship took a major drop coming into the 21st century.
165 W. Lake, Northlake, Il.jpg
You guys need to know that this place (although it may be elsewhere later on this year) will make it to 70 one way or another. I am definitely where I am suppose to be to help this happen and right in the vortex of what the amusement industry is to me. I am a bit of a goofball historian philosopher repair guy who gets off on part numbers and the romantic side/nature of a colourful past that has now reached another period of major change. Glad that I am still here to see this happen and that I can still have an influence. Simply happy to be able to make a difference in the business, the hobby and most importantly, people's enjoyment of this leisure activity.
Gottlieb & parts display
Gottlieb & parts display
All this to say that I hope this covid thing gets knocked off the planet along with that trump troglodyte and that you folks can make it to Alouette before it changes too much while in the process of getting updated to serve what the industry and home businesses have become. We are at the end of another era.
Entrance
Entrance
Last edited by R.A.B. on Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:06 am, edited 12 times in total.

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. Some of us need something to do besides contemplate how important everyone has suddenly become in a world of exaggerated self-promotion upheld by the new dumb.

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Post by WARLOCK »

Great stuff Robert. I will greet: and; (in a socially distant manner) "hug" Sparky across the room at Bluffs later this afternoon.
He is on several missions today; (which is his story to tell) but includes at least picking up a grail at Bluffs from Dave Astill.

I bought my first 53' pinhauler today to more effectively and efficiently move things around the planet...
Enjoy the sunshine and the changes in front of us. May be a bumpy road, but a fascinating one ahead.

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

WARLOCK wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 am
I bought my first 53' pinhauler today
:o
THAT'S A LOT OF FEET
WANTED: Stern Jurassic Park Pro, 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

WARLOCK wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 am
Great stuff Robert. I will greet: and; (in a socially distant manner) "hug" Sparky across the room at Bluffs later this afternoon.
He is on several missions today; (which is his story to tell) but includes at least picking up a grail at Bluffs from Dave Astill.

I bought my first 53' pinhauler today to more effectively and efficiently move things around the planet...
Enjoy the sunshine and the changes in front of us. May be a bumpy road, but a fascinating one ahead.
That's what I appreciate most about both you crazoids, the will to move stuff around and getting it done, just done.

Good luck with the big project in this month of June Scotty, I think it is a good decision.

And yes, we are headed for big changes and bumps in the road for sure.

dos.reboot
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by dos.reboot »

Big thanks to Sparky!! Delivered the Viking today.

:ty
LF: more space :geek:

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Four score and 1380kms ago my father brought forth on this continent, a new idiot, conceived in spring, and dedicated to the proposition that all Sparkys are created equally insane.

LOL

Yup... it was a loooong day yesterday. But it HAD to be done. It was a MULTIPLE GRAIL quest. Dos Reboot with Viking, me and Frontier, and Josh with a grail theme, Nascar.

So, I loaded up Viking in the back seat of the truck Friday night (REALLY bad thunderstorms... best not to leave it in the pickup bed, even with the cover), and left Saint-Lazarus (where pinballs come back to life) at 5am on a Saturday morning with snacks, drinks, masks, hand sanitizer and my porta-potty. LOL

I got to Delhi around 12:30pm, and chatted with BMZhouse while loading up Nascar in the back. Always fun to meet new faces.

Next stop, parking lot in Woodstock. I met up with Dos Reboot to drop off her grail pin, Viking! I had picked it up a couple of weeks ago in Granby and I took the opportunity to tweak it a bit in the meantime. Machine was beautiful but the vent grill in the backbox neck was loose. So... I sandblasted it, repainted it (since it was off), and restapled it. Gwen seemed happy about it! So, all is good so far.

Next, off to Scarberia to pick up Frontier!!!

But... just before arriving to Bluffs, I witnessed something funny yet disturbing that just shows what can happen to people when pressure is on a society. LOL. So I am stopped at a light, I turn to look at my right, and there, in broad daylight, standing in a glass bus stop enclosure, was a man holding his junk all the way out, peeing in the glass box, looking straight at me. He managed to slur in an obvious drunken state "what.... there are no bathrooms open anywhere... fuck off". There must have been 50 people in proximity... none reacted. I just turned my head away in disbelief. I guess peeing against a building is not a thing anymore. Hilarious, yet sad. Welcome to Toronto. LOL

I then met up with Warlock, ensuring proper social fucking distancing and masks (I hate this shit), and picked up the game. SO happy. I did play one single game while there, Firepower, and did manage 810000 on a 3-ball game. I guess I am not rusty. LOL. Warlock and I chatted about plans (they are afoot), but alas, time is short as usual. I gotta get home. Damn it... we never seem to get time to chat properly. But I am clear on the plans now. Let's do this. Balls to the wall... or bus enclosure. Whatever gets you off... sheesh...

I was expecting to be tired real bad on the way home, but the impending feeling of doom with large storm clouds in the sky (Nascar is too high for me to close the tonneau cover over it... but I got lucky) and being amped about completing such a mission had me driving with a shit-eating grin all the way back home at 11pm.

And today I deliver Nascar to it's happy new owner.

So... all good, if you ask me. Long overdue pin-grimage.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

I find myself in nostalgia land today with the vids in the house... and I am suddenly craving candy I used to chew down and drinks I guzzled when I was a kid playing Pacman...

Koo Koo Taffy. Christ, I ate this stuff by the case. I haven't seen this stuff in decades. I have seen McCraw's Taffy which is the same manufacturer, but I don't care about berry or banana flavor. I want neapolitan.

Bottle Caps.... root beer flavor. Oh yeah......

Maple Leaf gumballs. 5 for 5 cents. I was always leaning g towards Strawberry Ice.

Nectar soft drink. I still don't understand it. I am sure I can find this at my local grocery store.

I am hungry.... fak... lol

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

Sparky wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:52 pm
I find myself in nostalgia land today with the vids in the house... and I am suddenly craving candy I used to chew down and drinks I guzzled when I was a kid playing Pacman...

Koo Koo Taffy. Christ, I ate this stuff by the case. I haven't seen this stuff in decades. I have seen McCraw's Taffy which is the same manufacturer, but I don't care about berry or banana flavor. I want neapolitan.

Bottle Caps.... root beer flavor. Oh yeah......

Maple Leaf gumballs. 5 for 5 cents. I was always leaning g towards Strawberry Ice.

Nectar soft drink. I still don't understand it. I am sure I can find this at my local grocery store.

I am hungry.... fak... lol
After finding the video of you on DDR I got nostalgic too and started searching pics from the Allentown shows from almost 20 years ago!

Got my first DMD there in 2003. Royal Rumble.

Also saw pics from 2005 when I had Pinbot, TFTC, and Laser War for sale at Allentown. 975$, 1500$, and 700$ or 800$ for laser war.. Times sure have changed!
Current Lineup:

PINS:
Medieval Madness Royal Edition - Mods: Merlin, Troll lighting
Stern Jurassic Park LE - Pinstadiums, Stern topper, mods: signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE - Mods: witch, tornado, castle, crystal ball, emerald city, flaming pots, hot air balloon lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD
Doctor Who - Alt Translite, moving Dalek, full LED, Pinsound & shaker, LED&GI OCD, ColorDMD
Revenge from Mars - Running custom v2.21 on original hardware, Mods: saucer LEDs, 6-ball trough, knocker, shaker

Looking for:
Stern SW Prem/LE
Willy Wonka
LOTR

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running. Listed on Kijiji/FB.
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel.

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

frosken
MAACA Silent Type

Post by frosken »

Gang, you want nostalgia???

Look what I just found!

The group picture of the first ever MAACA meeting!

Name the year and try to name everyone on the pic... some are still around...some have left the hobby...some haven't changed a bit!
Attachments
maaca 003.jpg
+++++++++++++++++
Welcome to...Frosken Pinball!

Current Working Machines: err...NONE!!! :FP:
***NEW***: Current non-working machines: Have 2! more to come soon!

After a 8-year hiatus, looking to slowly come back in the hobby.

Gone but (mostly) not forgotten: Flipper Football, Shadow, Indy500, Black Rose, Judge Dredd, BS Dracula (x2), Getaway, CFTBL, Breakshot, Fire!, F-14 Tomcat, Big Guns, Meteor (x1.5), Big Game, Dirty Harry, Nitro Groundbreaker, El Dorado, Big Shot, City Slicker, Cheetah, Slugfest, Chexx bubble hockey.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Yikes !!

I see ghosts, and that's normal these days. This present sucks and in most cases we are still adjusting to the new ways of doing day to day stuff. Such a different future that lies ahead and which is looking more & more difficult to navigate, at least until it becomes routine and we act within its boundaries in a thoughtless/automatic way which will make it easier to manage. Then what ? Does normal ever come back ? Yes it does, and it seems to be when a certain cycle of repetition & routine installs itself in our lives.

So this is what happens in the mean-time. (one of my favorite words these days)

We look to the past and often get nostalgic, OK, it is a form of regret for something that will never come back the same way. And when the present becomes fantastic again, (during a renaissance let's say) we will stop being nostalgic because there will be that rare period when the present will be unbeatable, an existential state of mind that is usually easier to achieve by the younger members of the tribe who own the present and have less past. But you know what, the past sure looks more comfy than the present to many of us older folks right now. Add to this the fact that our collective future appears more unstable/unknowable than in the pre-covid times, so ....... this is a time for looking back to the past for a sense of stability. Paradoxically It helps us to move forward after we are done lurking there. Yes, I have found myself there many times, and when I begin to feel better because of a memory, a picture, a clip, a work of art or phrase capturing something long gone, I think about how long life really is and what a wild and wondrous state we are in (no, I do not mean Arizona) and know that the only constant has always been change and that is really what we need to learn to live with and hopefully adapt to some extent. Adapting in order not to become out of whack. Being out of whack in these times seems to be an easier course of action than adaptation for more people than usual these days. Yikes again.

Fawk, good morning everyone.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

AMEN Robert

Frosken, the year is most likely 2005 and from left to right:

Mindstorm88, Steph, Sylvain, Frosken, Spacecadet, ?, Sparky aka The Moonlit Knight, Splitskull, Macphreak, AMX, MrMikeman in the back, JD3, a kid probably old enough by now to own his own house and gameroom, a young Azatotht, Richard (Rickards ?? ), not sure on the last one.
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

Azatotht wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:50 am
AMEN Robert

Mindstorm88, Steph, Sylvain, Frosken, Spacecadet, ?, Sparky aka The Moonlit Knight, Splitskull, Macphreak, AMX, MrMikeman in the back, JD3, a kid probably old enough by now to own his own house and gameroom, a young Azatotht, Richard (Rickards ?? ), not sure on the last one.
The kid is my son Alex lol. He doesn't have a gameroom yet but I'm sure it's in his plans. He loves coming over to play pinball when he can - he currently lives in Chicoutimi. All grown up!
Attachments
Alex2.jpg
Current Lineup:

PINS:
Medieval Madness Royal Edition - Mods: Merlin, Troll lighting
Stern Jurassic Park LE - Pinstadiums, Stern topper, mods: signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE - Mods: witch, tornado, castle, crystal ball, emerald city, flaming pots, hot air balloon lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD
Doctor Who - Alt Translite, moving Dalek, full LED, Pinsound & shaker, LED&GI OCD, ColorDMD
Revenge from Mars - Running custom v2.21 on original hardware, Mods: saucer LEDs, 6-ball trough, knocker, shaker

Looking for:
Stern SW Prem/LE
Willy Wonka
LOTR

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running. Listed on Kijiji/FB.
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel.

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Awesome ! :P
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

frosken
MAACA Silent Type

Post by frosken »

Azatotht wrote:
AMEN Robert

Pretty good!

I actually wrote the names on the pic... ;)
Attachments
group-names.jpg
+++++++++++++++++
Welcome to...Frosken Pinball!

Current Working Machines: err...NONE!!! :FP:
***NEW***: Current non-working machines: Have 2! more to come soon!

After a 8-year hiatus, looking to slowly come back in the hobby.

Gone but (mostly) not forgotten: Flipper Football, Shadow, Indy500, Black Rose, Judge Dredd, BS Dracula (x2), Getaway, CFTBL, Breakshot, Fire!, F-14 Tomcat, Big Guns, Meteor (x1.5), Big Game, Dirty Harry, Nitro Groundbreaker, El Dorado, Big Shot, City Slicker, Cheetah, Slugfest, Chexx bubble hockey.

Chnillapoil
MAACA Chatterbox

Post by Chnillapoil »

frosken wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:00 pm
Azatotht wrote:
AMEN Robert

Pretty good!

Wow thanks for sharing this !
HIGH SPEED 1986
PIN*BOT 1986
TAXI 1988
:rifle OLD CHICAGO 1976
MAME MARIO BROS 1983
EIGHT BALL DELUXE LE 1982
FATHOM 1980
MS PACMAN (cocktail project)
GTB GENESIS (project)

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

That was a fantastic day.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

frosken wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:00 pm
Wow ! The past sure feels good these days on MAACA, mainly 'cause the present sort of sucks, especially lately. :(

Hey Forsken - I appreciate the name references, and I did manage to guess a few handles from this present perspective.

Hell, 15 years ago things were seriously different. But, then again you shouldn't have printed the names on the actual photograph with a white paint pen, even if you have a real talent for printing font so clearly, l hope you still have the negative :lol:

To all the crazoids, present and past and future, have a banner day !!

Rab

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Well, I did something today that I rarely do... turned the switch off. Lol. I finished my pool deck a couple of days ago and I lounged most of the day today. Beer in the cooler, ass in the lounge chair or sometimes in the pool.

Tomorrow, back in the grind. 12+hr drive to Sept-Iles. I am looking forward to it. I never really drove past Quebec City on the north shore of the St-Lawrence. Uncharted territory. Looking forward to drive through Charlevoix, Azatotht's old stomping grounds. Driving back home Friday. I will try to leave early and maybe do a pitstop in Anjou to see that crazy fucker. Lol. Been too long.

Always look forward to a journey. You might discover new things.

World_of_Warships
MAACA Buck

Post by World_of_Warships »

Sparky wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:48 pm
Well, I did something today that I rarely do... turned the switch off. Lol. I finished my pool deck a couple of days ago and I lounged most of the day today. Beer in the cooler, ass in the lounge chair or sometimes in the pool.

Tomorrow, back in the grind. 12+hr drive to Sept-Iles. I am looking forward to it. I never really drove past Quebec City on the north shore of the St-Lawrence. Uncharted territory. Looking forward to drive through Charlevoix, Azatotht's old stomping grounds. Driving back home Friday. I will try to leave early and maybe do a pitstop in Anjou to see that crazy fucker. Lol. Been too long.

Always look forward to a journey. You might discover new things.
Charlevoix is fantastic, I remember little places such as Port-au-Persil or Cap-à-l'Aigle.. just make certain your brakes are 100%! Lots of up and down!
Already made it to Stage 2, I don't know if I should be looking forward to Stage 3! More information on pinball 'stages'

Btw, I also drive a Tier X Yamato in World of Warships (online gaming)

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”