THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
Splitskull
Admins
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Post by Splitskull »

Sparky wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:16 am
This should have been better in the scam thread hehehe

Sparky
MAACA OG
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Sparky »

Splitskull wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:17 am

This should have been better in the scam thread hehehe
It just reflected my frustration. LOL
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Guard »

One hour to a month off...…..going to be some rearranging of the man cave so I can move around, and hopefully 4 or 5 nice EM's for sale at the end. [could include Volley, Fire Queen, Spanish Eyes, Sure Shot, Capt Card]
I need space.....

EDIT: unless I just float in the pool and drink all month.
PINS- Hit The Deck/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/Spirit of 76/Card Whiz/ Genesis / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/ Stern POTC/Genie/ Victory/Countdown/Shaq Attaq
Projects- Jacks Open /Stratoflite/ Jolly Roger/ Hang Glider
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

cait001
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 3 times

Post by cait001 »

The other night JF came over and with masks on he gave me a tutorial in cleaning steppers and now my Regatta is playing excellent once again!
It's amazing how so many types of grease don't have the longevity of whatever they used back then, even the PBR grease.

Regatta is such an amazing wood rail. But it also reminds me that it was almost a year ago I bought it at OPGS which like every other pinball show is not happening due to the pandemic.
To 2021!
WANTED: 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Guard »

Guard wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:37 pm
One hour to a month off...…..going to be some rearranging of the man cave so I can move around, and hopefully 4 or 5 nice EM's for sale at the end. [could include Volley, Fire Queen, Spanish Eyes, Sure Shot, Capt Card]
I need space.....

So that took less then 2 hours to buy another pin..
PINS- Hit The Deck/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/Spirit of 76/Card Whiz/ Genesis / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/ Stern POTC/Genie/ Victory/Countdown/Shaq Attaq
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder
Has liked: 13 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

Guard wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:42 pm
Guard wrote:
I need space.....

Lol, and now you can move around? what did you get?

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Guard »

Hollywood Heat off of Sparky....
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder

Guard wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:12 pm
Hollywood Heat off of Sparky....
That's what I figured, good for you! That's one easy transaction! Now, next step is to make some room..lol :D

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mrmikeman »

Kinda like Guard, I have a month to go on my 6 week break from work. So far I have dismantled the home theatre room and put everything on Kijiji/FB. This is the biggest room in the house and is now my gameroom. Moved all the pins in there. Started decorating. Waiting for some lit frames for translites. Going to make one for my amazing Star Race BG. Waiting on mods for my WOZ and MMr. Taped some cheapo Amazon battery powered xmas lights to the back of the spare Dr Who playfield. Works for me! https://youtu.be/Fj4WBtANQJU

Also making room in the house so my gf can move in. Dirt bikes up for sale. Rockola juke up for sale. Lots to do. Still need to move the pinball parts and tools to the new gameroom.

Dr Who shop out and cabinet re-decaling will probably be next week as I still need to make room in the garage. Need to go dump a bunch of electronics as well as the guts from the Seeburg juke.

Gameroom progress so far.
Attachments
5DA114F6-F4C0-46FA-8367-FA81818D05B0.jpeg
EBF08F73-D547-4882-873D-CCFF1C1C5DFC.jpeg
Current Lineup:

PINS:
Medieval Madness Royal Edition - Mods: Merlin, Troll lighting
Stern Jurassic Park LE - Pinstadiums, Stern topper, stern amber shooter, mods: signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE - Mods: Pinstadiums, witch, tornado, castle, crystal ball, emerald city, flaming pots, hot air balloon lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD
Doctor Who - Alt Translite, moving Dalek, full LED, Pinsound & shaker, LED&GI OCD, ColorDMD
Revenge from Mars - Running custom v2.22 on original hardware, Mods: saucer LEDs, 6-ball trough, knocker, shaker

Looking for:
Stern SW Prem/LE
Willy Wonka
LOTR

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running. Listed on Kijiji/FB.
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel.

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder

mrmikeman wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:50 pm
Moved all the pins in there. Started decorating. Waiting for some lit frames for translites.
Also making room in the house so my gf can move in.
Lol, pins first before making room for the gf, yup, you've got this in the right order! :D :D

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

World_of_Warships wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:34 pm

Lol, pins first before making room for the gf, yup, you've got this in the right order! :D :D
Dude... She LOVES playing pinball... making a bigger gameroom is part of the plan to get her to move in ;)

Also.. The room the pins were in is going to be her office... the whole work from home thing...
Current Lineup:

PINS:
Stern Jurassic Park LE - Pinstadiums, Stern topper, stern amber shooter, mods: signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE - Mods: Pinstadiums, witch, tornado, castle, crystal ball, emerald city, flaming pots, hot air balloon lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD
Doctor Who - Alt Translite, moving Dalek, full LED, Pinsound & shaker, LED&GI OCD, ColorDMD
Revenge from Mars - Running custom v2.22 on original hardware, Mods: saucer LEDs, 6-ball trough, knocker, shaker

Looking for:
Stern SW Prem/LE
Willy Wonka
LOTR

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel.

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder

mrmikeman wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:49 pm
World_of_Warships wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:34 pm

Dude... She LOVES playing pinball... making a bigger gameroom is part of the plan to get her to move in ;)

Also.. The room the pins were in is going to be her office... the whole work from home thing...
I guess we're both lucky then! Gf not only loves arcade but pins as well. I barely have to hide from her how much those toys cost, lol.. and, yeah, the work from home thing.. we're both spending more work hours than ever. 4 monitors, keyboards, mice, sit-stand tables, ergo chairs.. now we need to work on a routine to cut the cord and keep to a schedule, we just don't seem to be able to!!

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder

mrmikeman wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:50 pm
Gameroom progress so far.
Very, very nice lineup!

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

World_of_Warships wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:46 am

I guess we're both lucky then! Gf not only loves arcade but pins as well. I barely have to hide from her how much those toys cost, lol.. and, yeah, the work from home thing.. we're both spending more work hours than ever. 4 monitors, keyboards, mice, sit-stand tables, ergo chairs.. now we need to work on a routine to cut the cord and keep to a schedule, we just don't seem to be able to!!
Yeah she knows how much I paid for the toys. There's always a bit of a shock (especially the NIB) but wears off quickly because the games are so much fun lol..

We both will have our own office space. She's very much "business work hours" because of what she does. I'm more task oriented and get things done but not necessarily between 8-4. For example on my 6 weeks vacation I am actually working about 1 hour/day 3 days/week. Just checking emails and responding to things only I can action. That totally doesn't bother me. Not like I have big travel plans. Being military I don't count hours like public servants would.
Current Lineup:

PINS:

Looking for:
Stern SW Prem/LE
Willy Wonka
LOTR

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

mrmikeman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:52 am

Yeah she knows how much I paid for the toys.
download.png

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

Nah. It's more like "ohhh.. $16,000 for MMr? Wow that would be a nice downpayment on a house... Or a hell of an engagement ring..." lol

My response is always: "Why yes, it would".

Then we both laugh our asses off and go play pinball...
Current Lineup:

PINS:

Looking for:
Stern SW Prem/LE
Willy Wonka
LOTR

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder

mrmikeman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:52 am
World_of_Warships wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:46 am

Yeah she knows how much I paid for the toys. There's always a bit of a shock (especially the NIB) but wears off quickly because the games are so much fun lol..

We both will have our own office space. She's very much "business work hours" because of what she does. I'm more task oriented and get things done but not necessarily between 8-4. For example on my 6 weeks vacation I am actually working about 1 hour/day 3 days/week. Just checking emails and responding to things only I can action. That totally doesn't bother me. Not like I have big travel plans. Being military I don't count hours like public servants would.
Those games are fun!! My gf is totally into the few pins we have, I swear she argues with Hulk! Her game is Pac-Man, thou. That game will never leave.. and we don't count hours, lol, that's the issue! Btw, thank you for your service! We don't have enough military and you clearly don't have the equipment a professional military deserves, unfortunately..

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Guard »

Guard wrote:
Guard wrote:
I need space.....

And 2 days to buy another one. Very clean for its age.
Attachments
20200805_180608.jpg
20200805_180702.jpg
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder

Guard wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:22 pm
Guard wrote:
Guard wrote:
I need space.....

Lol, you need help! :D

sylvain
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 1 time

Post by sylvain »

Guard wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:22 pm
Guard wrote:
Guard wrote:
I need space.....

Nice!
I fixed and shopped one of those for a local MAACA member in early 2015.
Time flies.

Cheers,
-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

dr.nybble
MAACA QuarterPounder
Been liked: 1 time

Post by dr.nybble »

I got an Iwata LPH-80 spray gun and painted the Gay 90s cab with latex. Worked well, I had to thin the latex with water. Then applied silver splatter with my airbrush. Next up painting with stencils I had cut at sculpteo.com — no free laser cutting at the library. If this goes on too long I might have to buy a CNC :FP:

I feel better spraying latex than using rattle cans. Also bought a Nix colour matcher so the paint store mixed the right colours for me, easy-peasy.

Bought a spray gun cleaning kit, they actually sent me another LPH-80 which is a $300 gun. We’ll see if they want me to send it back!
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 10 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Once again, I simply have too much to say these days as life keeps making me stretch out straight in ways I did not think were possible anymore, and hence I find that I am simply beside myself. I know, that this may look weird when you get a glimpse of my being standing next to a higher looking shadow, but that is the way the cookie will eventually crumble as it is starting to do for an old friend of mine.

I have to say one thing about the WWW that made my week extraordinary. It allowed me to track down my main coin-op mentor from 28 years ago, and at least in this case I am quite thankful for the webs incredible reach. He had just turned 80 on the 26th of this month and I found out that he is living in Clarkson, Washington with his fourth wife. Last time I had been in touch with him was when he settled in San Rafael, CA in the early 90's after leaving Montreal. I had written him a letter and complained about Brian Mulroney being Canada's Nixon and I think I may have gotten a letter back, but that was it.

So three days ago I called him a day after his 80th birthday. His wife Daydra answered and knew of me through Al's stories and immediately proceeded to send me pictures of Al's prize pieces and their home via e-mails. She asked if I was on facebook and I said that my name was on facebook, but its representation is a black soldier in Kenya, she laughed. She said that Al would be back at 3:30 pm their time and will be thrilled and besides himself to touch base with me again after well over two decades. Indeed, it was a very emotional and amazing conversation. We had lost touch as I said soon after he moved back to the states in 92. While he was in Canada we had taken many road trips together into the northern part of Quebec where I acted as his translator as we dug up old slots and trade simulators. Also I remember a week long trip to the Maritimes picking up old slots and pinball junk and also often going down the east coast of the states where we had our share of fun with the border guards as Al messed them up each time we crossed. Al was a pro at bending people's minds and sometimes it made me uneasy, but he was always in control of the stuations. He was living with his third wife up here when we met through a classified ad in the Montreal Gazette. He taught me so much about how to wheel and deal and make money in a time where it was easy to double your money simply by calling one of your clients after you found a machine or even a barnful of machines you weren't interested in, there was a sucker born every minute according to Al. I sat back and watched this guy make deals for stuff he found or that I had got stuck with somehow from inexperience.

Alfred liked pre-war slots and thought that pinball machines were basically just junk you just threw in to close a jukebox or slot machine deal. We had tons of fun, going into small towns and twisting the locals brains and buying stuff from various old time locations, picking through warehouses full of junk looking for that one gem, back room of diners and old time bars. I was 27 and he was 50 and Al was the best hustling deal maker and teacher I have ever known. In 1989 one of my ex girlfriends taped over something that was important to me. She recorded a dumb ass soap opera over my only copy on VHS of an old TV segment we did back in 89. I never said a word to her about this, but it hurt me like hell. Recently, I managed to reach out to someone in the CBC archives I had gone to university with and get a copy of this and other pinball segments via some god dam file transferring tool. Thanks to the WWW again I quess. Seeing these reminded me of the time & period I spent collecting coin op curiosities with Alfred Malicki.

Al was a Chicago native who retired at 49 and then moved to Montreal since he was now engaged to be married again. He had done tons of stuff in his life but I remember him telling me that he had been a building inspector in his early years for a big insurance company and worked his way up to become the vice president of the latter before retiring. Throughout his life he always collected and sometimes sold curiosities and objects that had weight and prescence. But now in 2020, the hour was getting late and he does not want to burden his 71 year old wife with all this memorabilia weight, even though Daydra is still to this day very supportive of Al's collecting and restoring spirit. In fact they bought and converted an old general store in Clarkson dating from the mid 20th century and made it their home. But now, all of Al's big ticket items are going to auction before this foul year closes. I asked him if he was OK with that and he said that he had enjoyed the hunt, the pains and joys of making the deals and the lengthy restores of these gems, and now it was time to let go. I love it, -ah life ! what a teacher. All I can say is that the human connections we make are the most important asset of living a full rich and happy life, the rest is man made and means little at the end of the line.

the Ben Hur slot wheel on the left we found in the St.Jerome, Qc area. The other one on the right is from St.Louis Missouri.
the Ben Hur slot wheel on the left we found in the St.Jerome, Qc area. The other one on the right is from St.Louis Missouri.
That model 44 Coca Cola machine I had found for next to nothing in a Longueuil apartment block storage locker.
That model 44 Coca Cola machine I had found for next to nothing in a Longueuil apartment block storage locker.
IMG_9701.jpg
IMG_9682.jpg
This is a Mills slot/gum vendor from 1946. first electric slot machine I think. We found it in Sydney, Nova Scotia and restored it in Montreal
This is a Mills slot/gum vendor from 1946. first electric slot machine I think. We found it in Sydney, Nova Scotia and restored it in Montreal
IMG_9462.jpg
IMG_9935.jpg
Below is a link to my friend Al's statement and newspapaer article for his grandkids to remember their grandparents and their story.

https://lmtribune.com/northwest/he-cant ... 6a70c.html
Last edited by R.A.B. on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:47 am, edited 14 times in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

And yes, some of us need something to do besides contemplate how important everyone has suddenly become in a world of self-promotion upheld by the new dumb.

"Ah, you god damn writers, never a good word for anything. Hell, you never really know what they will do or say." My Alter Ego

cait001
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 3 times

Post by cait001 »

Wow, what a story!
And those are some stunning pieces in his collection. That floor console slot that plays music is one of the blue-chip collector pieces. download/file.php?id=47621&mode=view
myself, I want one of those far-cheaper blue cherry ones: download/file.php?id=47625&mode=view
WANTED: 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Crazy week.... A trip scheduled for work which was almost cancelled could have kyboshed my dastardly plans. So I delivered (with a sad heart) Hollywood Heat.... but by doing so I corrected a wrong I did years ago when I sold a grail.

Now... it's back.

Possibly the only pin that is louder and more abnoxious than I am.

Enter....

HEAVY

METAL

MELTDOWN!!!
Metal.jpeg
guitar.jpg
... one more off the list...
bucket list.jpg

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Guard »

Awesome
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”