THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
redketchup
MAACA Death Knight

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Postby redketchup » Wed May 04, 2016 7:56 am

So... I think you need vacation... I'm going to wait for you tomorrow night at the confort inn bar!
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Filght 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Iron maiden, Stargazer, Viper, Metallica Pro, Wurlitzer 700, 750e, Rockola 1428, seeburg HF 100R
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Wed May 04, 2016 8:08 am

redketchup wrote:So... I think you need vacation... I'm going to wait for you tomorrow night at the confort inn bar!

Not a fucking chance. Zero money, zero time, zero interest.
Account deactivated

redketchup
MAACA Death Knight

Postby redketchup » Wed May 04, 2016 8:25 am

Sparky wrote:
redketchup wrote:So... I think you need vacation... I'm going to wait for you tomorrow night at the confort inn bar!

Be honest... tu vas t'ennuyer de nous...

P.S. aucune idée comment écrire ça en anglais
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Filght 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Iron maiden, Stargazer, Viper, Metallica Pro, Wurlitzer 700, 750e, Rockola 1428, seeburg HF 100R
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Wed May 04, 2016 8:30 am

redketchup wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Be honest... tu vas t'ennuyer de nous...

P.S. aucune idée comment écrire ça en anglais

Miss the guys? Depends who.

Miss the show? Nope. I just don't "click" with the whole thing anymore. When it comes to the point where I can't justify the prices of machines to MYSELF, let alone my wife, I no longer have any interest.

I am working on getting back games I sold, and that is it.
Account deactivated

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:48 am

My tenant in the basement has officially moved out, and I am almost finished renovating the kitchen. Gotta get stuff finished, and then fix the mess in the basement.

No more tenants. The basement will remain as a gameroom. I made my position very clear with my better half, under the condition that it looks good in the end.

So, games will be set up once again this week, getting them in a better position for repair and restoration.
Account deactivated

WARLOCK
MAACA Goliath

Postby WARLOCK » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:40 pm

Worked my fr*ckin +ss of for the last 3 months. Posted a "." on this thread 2 months ago.
With all due respect to my 3 friends whom collectively posted 9 posts? in the last 60 days tho...

Can you please "merge these threads'' back into what was once a fantastic thread I wanted to read and post in before splitting it up.
Or just "rename the other thread and archive this one" if it is simpler. Philosophy has now all disappeared here. 1 "great thread" please.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:07 pm

WARLOCK wrote:Worked my fr*ckin +ss of for the last 3 months. Posted a "." on this thread 2 months ago.
With all due respect to my 3 friends whom collectively posted 9 posts? in the last 60 days tho...

Can you please "merge these threads'' back into what was once a fantastic thread I wanted to read and post in before splitting it up.
Or just "rename the other thread and archive this one" if it is simpler. Philosophy has now all disappeared here. 1 "great thread" please.

If I remember correctly, a philosophical guy asked us to split the thread in the first place, as there were complaints that technical info was too jumbled with reflections.

I will leave it to the others to decide. Last thing I want is more angry PMs.
Account deactivated

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:36 am

OK... some ramblings now. ...I didn't DO anything in the hobby,and this will be FAR from technical, so I guess it fits here. Enjoy it... I don't like reading long posts, even less writing them.

But... Since it seems that there is a demand for more philosophical content related to the site and hobby, I guess I can throw in a post.

Yup... these are amazing, scary, weird times.

I was thinking of the hobby in general the other night, and kind of went through what has happened in my generation. And this applies to pretty much all things I guess. I find that as much as I had a position of advantageous knowledge in my teens, I find that in a short period of time, you can be overwhelmed by it all.
Kind of like the hobby.

In a period ranging almost 50 years, other than a few mechanical changes, pinball remained the same. Coils, switches, lights... a mechanical brain. Comes along the solid state era, and things start moving fast. And it's even WORSE in the videogame industry. within a generation,we have essentially witnessed the birth, the golden age, and subsequent near death of arcade games. Something else always comes along. In this case, consoles... online gaming... what was once a quick 3-minute balls-to-the-walls action-fest fuelled by a single quarter, has now become a all-nighter walking-around-in-a-virtual-reality online alternate life.
Ironic how we used to have arcades to, as Billy Joel put it in Piano Man, forget about life for a while, and today the games have BECOME life for so many. The face on the other side of the mirror is less and less a reflection, but more and more the source.

Yet, many of us keep fighting for our past... resisting... raging against the dying of the light.

Are we just fighting a futile battle against progress? Or... are we fighting the skewed DEFINITION of what many call progress... Ahhh... IMHO, that is where the key is.

Webster has this definition of progress: the process of improving or developing something over a period of time.

I believe this is a narrow definition. There lacks a bit of refinement. I see it in this way: the process of improving or developing something over a period of time, WITHOUT CAUSING REGRESSION ON SOMETHING ELSE.

I guess there lies my view of modern consoles... they have made leaps and bounds in the quality of graphics and gameplay... yet... how many people do you know make social events out of it? I don't mean Leeroy-Jenkins-type microphone chatter between guys that haven't left their couch other than to get food or finish processing it. I mean face to face conversation. Meeting in a social environment, playing a short game, and enjoying other's company. I rather a beer and a slice of pizza with friends than a pizza pocket and a Mountain Dew in the company of my TV...

I guess that's why I also have somewhat of a problem with modern pinball machines. The games are too long... too much going on. Yes... I sound like an antequated relic. Sure. I accept that. But I believe that the industry has gone off course. It makes no sense to me that a person can play an excess of 20 minutes on a single game. I remember playing No Good Gofers with 3 buddies during a tournament... it took us 50 minutes to finish our game. FUUUUCK. Too long. I rather quicker ball times, in-your-face ball flow and less waiting for your turn. LOL Game over? Time for a beer!

Now don't get me wrong... I am not advocating for the woodrail era, with a less-than-a-minute game with gobble holes galore. The machines were cash-grabbers then. But I miss the years of the arcades with early SS machines with a perfect balance of technology with great sounds and lights, balanced short games, giving the player the desire to improve, all the while giving an operator the chance of making some money, hence keeping the ball rolling. Pun intended. And the classic videogames, were only the true masters would shine on a marathon game... acquiring the status of legend.

So... where are we going with it all today. Funny how we, the princes of progress have become the guardians of garbage, as my wife calls me. LOL. All this, in only 20 years or so. We have become our fathers... "why change it, if it works..." I SO see my father fiddling with his vinyl records. LOL

So here I am in my basement... surrounded by "THE shit" or "JUST shit" depending on your views and perspectives. Feeling the burden of all that I have to do to keep these machines alive. Pondering on if it's worth it.

The switch is flicked... the lights turn on... the target banks reset, the attract sounds come on and the displays show nothing but a couple of zeros... tempting me to make those numbers progress... I reluctantly press the start button, and lay my hands on the corners of the lockdown bar. Feeling the hum through my fingers as I touch the flipper buttons. I hear the flippers clacking.

I am home.

Yes. It is worth it.

For me, gone are the weekend romps at the arcades... but the atmosphere lives on. For those of you that still have the opportunity to have an arcade hangout, hold on to it and support it as much as you can.

Indeed it is... but isn't that what makes it interesting?
Account deactivated

WARLOCK
MAACA Goliath

Postby WARLOCK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 pm

Keep up the thread then my friends.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:01 pm

Well, my kitchen renovation is slowly winding down... Cabinets are essentially all done. I just have to tile the island top and backsplash. To give you an idea:

- took 80sq.ft in the garage, raised the floor flush with the kitchen and built a pantry
- took part of that space and made a space for the fridge, now in the wall and surrounded by cabinets
- knocked down the wall between the kitchen and living room with the fireplace, now one big space
- rewired everything, new lights
- new plumbing everywhere
- new tile throughout BY NOSTALGIAQC (Does GREAT work... call him!!)
- new sheetrock, insulation
- new cabinets, sink
- removed the old built-in oven on the wall between the kitchen and living room, and installed a new standard range on outer wall
- installed cabinet mounted microwave and made the vent hole in the brick wall outside

Happy wife, sad wallet. LOL

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG
Account deactivated

pinhead
MAACA Goliath

Postby pinhead » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Nice kitchen Sparky!
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:31 am

Putting everything together for Sunday... gotta find a trailer. Seems like a hot commodity these days in rental stores... I will seriously look into buying one, or better yet, another Econoline like I had, but in better shape. My goal for 2017. LOL Minivan will be paid for, but I rather use that just for my hauling my own ass.
Account deactivated

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:30 pm

Choo-choo!!!!

image.jpeg
Account deactivated

HPR Pinball
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby HPR Pinball » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:42 pm

Happy Sparky train ride !!!
I miss my deal but i'm happy for those who get the ticket for the train.

Arcade forever :-)
Inventory
Pins: http://www.pinballowners.com/hal-9ooo
Vids: http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=454505
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

WARLOCK
MAACA Goliath

Postby WARLOCK » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:29 pm

Glad to see that you guys are back "in the hunt" and working together.
All the best with the journey my friends. I will meet you when you roll through Ian.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:43 pm

Holy cow... what a Sunday. where to begin... OK... simple. Chronologically I guess. LOL

I must admit, I was NOT looking forward to the trip yesterday... Things have changed since 2004. I kept trying to find excuses not to do it I guess... But oddly, for once, things just kept falling into place.

I searched for a trailer on Friday, and after a few calls to local independent renters that wanted practically more than what the trailer was worth as a deposit, I found a new local U-Haul dealder that had a couple of open trailers... I was apprehensive, due to being at the mercy of the weather, but I gave them a shot.

Wow, such great service from them. They are essentially a small business that kinda get a few extra bucks by doing U-Haul rentals. But contrary to so many other places, this guy MAINTAINED his equipment. He actually power-washed the trailer before me taking it!!! LOL (Check out JS Maintenance on Cité-des-Jeunes in Vaudreuil... top notch!!!). So off I go with a 5x9 trailer, with a loading ramp! Sweet! And no deposit needed. Cost me 70$ with the insurance! Double-sweet!

So Sunday morning... the alarm clock rings at 5am... and I am feeling good! I jumped in the van and off I went.

18C... clear skies... nice road... good music.

Chicken soup for the soul.

With the crazy shit going on at work... this was a welcome feeling. I arrived in Hamilton Around 11:30am, but it felt like a 2-hr drive. I know traffic in Toronto can be a pain... but I had no predetermined time to get there... so I leaned back, soaked in the sun and cool Lake Ontario breeze, and attentively listened to Emerson Lake and Palmer chant out to me:

"You see it's all clear.... you were meant to be here........... from the beginning..."

CLICK. The pieces just keep falling together.

So I get to SB's place, and was welcomed with a big smile and firm handshake. He told me someone else was coming, and the machines I was interested in were at his other storage area... No problem. Just happy to be here. So I soaked in the pure history... Mania Challenge... Satan's Hollow... Tapper... man, I could go on, but you can all just go see his list. LOL. I was there... just feeling the control panels... smelling the arcade scent... admiring the art...

It's 1981 again.

CLICK.

Shortly after, I head for the storage area, and meet up with SB and an American fellow with a funny "NOT HILLARY in 2016" bumper sticker. LOL... The lesser of 2 evils, I say. But again, here we are... 3 guys, just chatting away on videogames. I loaded up the 2 games I got (Simpsons and Double Dragon). GOD KNOWS I wanted more... but for once cooler heads prevailed. I promised Mrhide I would pick up a game for him.

Off I go to Mississauga to pick up a Japanese plastic Tampax-box with a 29" screen in it. LOL. 2 funny coincidences... 1- machine was located 2 blocks away from Drano's place. and 2- the machine fit PERFECTLY beside the Double Dragon in the trailer, and it was in a garage... so no hauling out of the house.

CLICK.

Of course, no trip is perfect... LOL

I did text Warlock and Brewmanager to see if they were free. Both were with family and out of the house, but I was offered to go to the BPL HQ. I decided not to. I didn't text Drano as well as I assumed he was also busy. I didn't want to be the weird guy that Some regret... but I did manage to get home at a great time. Next time my friends. We will have some quality time very soon, I promise. I look forward to shopping some pins and chewing the fat.

Other hiccup, which could have been WAYYYY worse... someone jammed the brakes in front of me on the 401. Luckily, I had a safe distance... not my first rodeo with a trailer... But in my rear view, an F150 hit his brakes VERY late... and stopped about 12 inches from the trailer. Fucker wasn't paying much attention... it could have been disastrous for everyone... but it wasn't... until karma hit him in the form of a VW Jetta on his rear bumper. LOL By that time, I was already off. WHEW...

MAJOR CLICK.

So home I go. I was actually surprised to see I wasn't nodding off near the end... I was still enjoying my run. And for the first time ever on a pinball run, when I got home, my wife was super happy to see me so early at 9pm. LOL

CLICK.

I even unloaded Phil's game and the Double Dragon. I played a game on DD for the first time since 1989... Awesome.

CLICK. The lights go off as I put my head on the pillow. I should thank everyone for such a great day in the Thanksgiving thread...

Thank you life...

And that's a wrap.

Click.
Account deactivated

novaguy
MAACA Barbarian

Postby novaguy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:15 pm

We held our youngest daughters 16th B Day party on Saturday.great day with lots of kids in the pool and the tub and then a campfire at night with smores and a wenie roast.oh ya ,and lots of beer for the adults.
Attachments
IMG_2578.JPG

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:24 pm

Spent the day at Canada's Wonderland with the wife-n-kids. Good fun. Really dig the Behemoth!

One of the arcades had a WWE pin but I didn't have time to try it out. Never played the pin before. Sorry, Trudeau. :oops: :oops: :oops: And the crap Galaga redemption game.

... and almost got eaten. phew.
Attachments
20160719_132740.jpg
20160719_132835.jpg
20160719_155648.jpg

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:50 pm

Seems I see so many hit Canada's Wonderland... but... someone explain something to me...

CANADA's WONDERLAND:
Adult, or 48" and over: 42.99$ online
Kids under 48": 36.99$

So my family would cost 208.95$ plus On taxes

LA RONDE:
Adult, or 54" and over: 56.99$
Kids under 54": 38.99$

So my family would cost 266.95$ plus insane QC taxes.

... and La Ronde ain't no Canada's Wonderland.

Fuck this... I am moving to Toronto. LOL
Account deactivated

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:25 pm

Strike that last comment. I just checked the prices of homes in the Toronto area... LOL Some of you may have homes... but your kids are fucked. LOL. NO WAY can you afford to buy a home there anymore.

Case in point:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/04/16 ... 48448.html

Fuck that. I'll stay in my peaceful little corner.
Account deactivated

Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Mrhide » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:59 pm

Sparky: la ronde check these out: https://www.laronde.com/fr/larondefr/st ... son-passes

LA RONDE:
Adult, or 54" and over: 56.99$
season-passes: 68.99$ ...
WTF!!

and I just saw the " Japanese plastic Tampax-box with a 29" screen in it " ... :lol: :cop ... you're invited to play it ;) ...
LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:42 pm

Mrhide wrote:and I just saw the " Japanese plastic Tampax-box with a 29" screen in it " ... :lol: :cop ... you're invited to play it ;) ...

Dodontampaxchi?
Account deactivated

Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Mrhide » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Sparky wrote:Dodontampaxchi?

L O L !!! EXACTEMENT!! :lol:
LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:52 am

Hmm... been a while since we have had news here... I have had some interesting and funny things happen as of late. I thought it would be great to write them down.

First off, I have felt a great sense of pride to be part of this community lately, with all the generous people contributing to the Make-A-Wish charity for my bike run. I will make DAMN sure that MAACA gets full visibility on my part. I will go out there and bike my ass off not only for the kids, but for all of you. I am truly grateful and blessed to be part of this great site and hobby, and to have such great friends.

"Your wealth is where your friends are." - Plautus

... Now, on the funnier side of things. I went for a 2nd interview for a job at a rival company. But to put things in perspective, let me rewind the tape a bit... In 2012, while working for our rental division as a fleet manager and being totally abused by my then boss for 2 years, driven to near suicide (I am not kidding...), I saw a job opening as a service manager at the same branch I worked out of. I applied and got an interview.

The branch manager (one spot above in the hierarchy) at the time was on his way out as he got promoted, but he did the interview along side the new incoming manager. And it was brutal.

The new manager didn't say a fucking word... but the out-bound manager proceeded to rip into me as he considered me a threat to his own position. 2 hours of belittling, essentially telling me I was worthless and not even good enough to become a measly service coordinator (2 ranks down... lower than what I was 6 years before when I was shop foreman). So... I left the rental division at the time, but never forgot that interview.

Fast-forward to yesterday. I arrive at a restaurant at 4pm with the guys from a rival manufacturer for a second interview. They arrive in full regalia. As we get in, who do I see? You got it... the dick manager. who has since fallen from grace and is now nothing more than a representative now... but he sees me with these guys, and knows what job they are filling. This manufacturer supplies stuff to our rental branches, so they are known.

The interviewers noticed the rental guy and asked me if it would be a problem. I said not at all... I was off the clock since 2:30pm so I can do what I want and talk to whoever I choose to. Him, on the otherhand, was STILL on the clock, and drinking beer at a restaurant with other rental employees ON the clock...

LOL... so karma is sending me a message... "See Ian? You are good enough... and he is an ass."

Interview went great and was mostly great chitchat for 5 hours. The official offer will come in in a few days.

Good times!!!
Account deactivated

Fifty
MAACA Warrior

Postby Fifty » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:56 pm

I hope you get it Sparky!

Karma is a bitch. She always gets even with the dicks out there! You should have reported him for DUI as you left the restaurant. Ha!

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”