THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Postby R.A.B. » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:10 pm

There are 3 things I want ro say since I have wi-fi access here at the North Star.

1) Gino, j'ai des penses pour toi et ta famille dans cette periode.

2) I am getting internet access installed in my Japanese studio tomorrow night, so things are changing again.

3) I am having trouble these days knowing how to act my age since I have never been this old before. I strongly believe that being an adult is over rated, so being light and responsible without losing passions is recommended in the later and slower phases of life.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Mrhide » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:59 pm

Changes can be a good thing.
LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

WARLOCK
MAACA Goliath

Postby WARLOCK » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:17 pm

Aging is overrated. "I strongly believe that being an adult is over rated, so being light and responsible without losing passions is recommended." 100% agree.
Staying young in mind is key, acting one's age just isn't going to happen... I will "not go gentle into that good night"...
Slowing down is ridiculously difficult... but I see the impending requirement in due course...thanks for leading...

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:02 am

WARLOCK wrote:Slowing down is ridiculously difficult... but I see the impending requirement in due course...thanks for leading...

Indeed my friend. Moving forward is the only direction worth a damn. Regression will come on its own, but until then, I will keep the ball rolling as I promised to Roger Sharpe last spring at the North Star - Machines à Piastres.

There is so much more we can accomplish in providing pinball to the people. It is important to feel that what we do matters, and not just on the personal level.

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

the loafer
MAACA Goliath

Postby the loafer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:48 am

Just popping in to say "hi", will be at the OPGS so hope to see familiar faces there. Thinking of getting back in and noticed the current prices of pins might be conspiring against that lol

Honey Badger
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Honey Badger » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:21 am

the loafer wrote:Just popping in to say "hi", will be at the OPGS so hope to see familiar faces there. Thinking of getting back in and noticed the current prices of pins might be conspiring against that lol

Great to hear from you again Rob. Looking forward to seeing you at the show!
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Iron Maiden, Vampire, Superman

"You're either with us or against us"

"Guilty by association"

"This is Pinburgh...that's how we roll!"

Guard

Postby Guard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Just finished my 5th Tough Mudder.
PINS- Space Shuttle / Bally Black Jack / Star Trip
Coming soon- Sinbad and Target Alpha

Mindstorm88
MAACA Priest

Postby Mindstorm88 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 am

Sadly i'll miss for the first time the Ottawa show :cry: , but for a good reason, my baby girl (25) that i haven t seen for the last 2.5 years arrive home from France this afternoon. :D :D

Chnillapoil
MAACA Warrior

Postby Chnillapoil » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Mindstorm88 wrote:Sadly i'll miss for the first time the Ottawa show :cry: , but for a good reason, my baby girl (25) that i haven t seen for the last 2.5 years arrive home from France this afternoon. :D :D

I won't be there either it's my son's birthday and our wedding anniversary on saturday......

Have a good time Bruno !
HIGH SPEED 1986
PIN*BOT 1986
TAXI 1988
VOLLEY 1976
MAME MARIO BROS 1983
RACER BY MIDWAY 1975
FATHOM 1980
MS PACMAN (cocktail project)

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:54 pm

All things considered, I am feeling OK these days. How 'bout you ?

But first - let me ask you this.

You guys know the Mill ?

The shit mill I mean, yeah you know it ? Sure you do, don't pretend you don't. It is made up of unsatisfied savages bent on twisitng existence much like supermarket magazines do.

Well, the trick is to stay alive long enough to go through it. It stinks yes, and then it goes away leaving its stench in your clothes forever more when you get too close. That is the price of being lured into the shit mill. Don't look at those magazines if you can help yourself.

The only solution to not reacting to the caretakers of the shitmill in a bad way is to become an idiot like them, and you don't want to do that if you think that life is worth living.

Welcome to my nightmare.

(what the hell is he talking about again, well at least it is in the daily news and not in the technical section)

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:23 pm

It's not enough that the shit mill runs 24/7 now is it ?

Come on, let's change the google calendar to make it run longer, let's start with a new and different day.

We are cooked like chickens at the St.Hubert Bar-Bec-que which has been bought by public interests lately. Poor chickens indeed.

WARLOCK
MAACA Goliath

Postby WARLOCK » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Indeed.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:33 pm

I got stood up by my psychologist recently. Wait, this is good news and the story ends well.

She simply didn't show up for our appointment which I had confirmed last week via voicemail on her business line, you know, that phone number on her business card. She said that she didn't get it, and I guess she really doesn't get what it means to be professional. Understood this as a sign that I am OK after all, and that she probably thought to herself that this guy couldn't be helped after I babbled on for an hour straight during our first session while she scrambled to take notes. I think she may have come to the sordid conclusion that some people are better left to work it out on their own, or that she simply didn't have the proper skills to help me due to her own personal shortcomings. I called her on her cell after an hour of sitting like a dumb ass in a sterile waiting room with typically shitting coffee table books and pamphlets about well being. Basically just common words about how to deal with life for dummies

"Nicole, where the hell were you at eight, we had an appointment."

"I am am so sorry, did we have an appointment tonight, I didn't get the confirmation message."

"How do you stay in business with excuses like that ?"

"We should reschedual", she befuddled.

"Sure, I will call you tomorrow, I don't have my agenda with me right now."

Bullshit.

I called her back an hour later and flushed her once I had secured another "professional" through employee services at "hoark" who agreed to take me on as a patient. God bless them, and I just hope that they have some idea of what they are in for. This should be good at worse. Apparently this "jack" has 17 years experience and is a man my age, so maybe he will at least understand something about what I am living these days and will not provide the standard answers to my feeling obsolete.

Again, there is nothing good about growing old no matter what the Reader's Digest says.

Oh well.

So I then decided to stop by my favorite bar and met a 25 year old 3rd year psychology student named Lisa who needed to talk. I listened carefully and admired her youthful disposition, her body language and energy while paying careful attention to what she was saying. She told me about what she wants to be later in life and spoke with real focus about all the wonderful things ahead of her. Of course, this reminded me of all the possibilities of the life which I had accumulated behind me and for which I have made every effort to attend to over time through all the questioning which I still believe is needed in order to live it to the tits via a youthful, open minded context and mindset of being prime and always interested in the things/people/occurrences/magic surrounding us. Seems like crazy shithouse behaviour nowadays for me and likely for some of my older/smarter friends. I think that we need to work harder now in order to maintain the magic of being alive as time marches on past the half century mark which begins to show the very real wear and tear and being torn and frayed by the force of things which we may or may not have understood thus far. Strangely enough, working hard is what we have less energy for after reaching the 50 + milestone, - maudit que c'est mal faite la vie quand qu'on veux autre choses que juste la norme et la paix dans le dernier tirere/the last third.

Best therapy for me that night was to listen, and even though I do not charge 140 bones an hour, (except when fixing pinball machines in people's homes) I felt that I was doing OK as I listened to Lisa's discourse. She then asked me to show her how to play pinball, why not. I explained "body english" to her by demonstrating and making it clear that she is allowed to apply this to the game and her life as well up to when the tilt light goes on and one loses the ball or at worse the whole game. I was once again validated somehow as less than obsolete. Just cost me a couple of wobbly pops to have Lisa yak it up and let loose.

All good and good night I say. Sweet dreams may be all that is left at this juncture.

R.A.B.

WARLOCK
MAACA Goliath

Postby WARLOCK » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:47 am

Discourse... and...
Sweet dreams...All good...

The modern world lacks this finesse... le sigh...
To appropriately give and receive in this; fashion...

And thus we have shrinks, and propaganda and posers... Online and off. Pretending wisdom...

Trying to supply answers they don't know... And can't explain...
Even if they did actually know the truth; it costs...

And so we search for our own answers...
What we already... likely know...

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:16 pm

WARLOCK wrote:Discourse... and...
Sweet dreams...All good...

The modern world lacks this finesse... le sigh...
To appropriately give and receive in this; fashion...

And thus we have shrinks, and propaganda and posers... Online and off. Pretending wisdom...

Trying to supply answers they don't know... And can't explain...
Even if they did actually know the truth; it costs...

And so we search for our own answers...
What we already... likely know...

Appreciate your thought-full-ness Scott, as always.

When it comes to so called "professionals", it is essential for freakin' mindful and driven guys like us who have a good idea of who we are at base to firmly separate the wheat from the chaff. I may tend to trust a little too much vis a vis people with credentials, especially when I am feeling doubtful about my essence. Hell, one must always keep in mind that "they" are also just poor vulnerable humans like us with their own personal problems and challenges and bullshit. So one necessarily needs to take "some", and leave "some" based on the clear and concise goals that we know reside in our gut and also learn to leave behind what is just dumb formulated popular psychological tailored/trendy flavours of the month talk meant to empower all the dummies and lost souls which we are, all floating aimlessly and depressed somewhere/somehow. Then again, the latter may be too judgemental, everyone deserves a chance at happiness and peacefulness and some impression of being content, even if it turns out to be a lie, who cares. It can't hurt the overall social consciousness in the end and I guess that this is why pop psychology is so rampant and seemingly necessary these days. Everybody I know who has been through the mill and has seeked out help from these corporate based help services are now all talking the same way. It makes for very dull exchanges, but we are all happy now aern't we.

Yes, it seems that people in the first world are having serious anxiety problems due to an abundance of information often presented in a catastrophic manner by the medias and are therefore developing confidence issues while trying to get back to a state of normal in order to do their daily tasks. So it goes to follow that the real goal of these hired counselors is to keep the population populating and working at jobs they hate and it has become very necessary to keep things rolling even if they go against our real nature as diverse and creative creatures. Yet real life will continue to deal out painful and joyful issues even when your humanity is reduced to doing the same tasks everyday while having no say in what you are asked to do. Hell, most people have no voice at all as to what they do day in day out, it is like a new slavery. It use to be picking cotton and now it is about entering data and sitting in front of a screen all day clicking and typing in shit. And it seems that this lack of a voice for the majority of us poor schmucks is becoming more and more evident as technology dictates and controls our tasks while the powers that be are so conveniently removed from the general population's grasp while underhandedly allowing us the impression of having a say, but it is only an impression, they don't give a flying fuck what you think. In fact, we have little or no say as individuals in the face of what we have to endure in order to gain something close to a living wage. Being someone else's meal demands a certain resignation I guess, and that is what these aid to employee programs are meant to make you swallow. And that is not something absolutely everyone can tolerate. Some give in and look for small personal pleasures to compensate the pain of having no voice and no effect on their environment, while others continue to demand a voice. They will eventually and necessarily be quieted as they get weaker.

Some of us are born and educated to be "driven", - by what you ask ? I don't really know. But I do understand drive, although I do not always steer like a pro in order to achieve what I think I need to get to. Life remains a god-dam twisted journey and my goals of late have become unclear for some reason, I do not know exactly why. I strongly believe that is really where the problem begins to fester in my case. I know that being content and happy are an essential part of the idea of wanting to stay alive, but it seems that in the later phases of life this can only be maintained by an accepting approach and attitude to all the craziness and bullshit populating one's environment that "they" tell us we can not change. I know that there are many corporate clowns and processional puppets around me, but there are also very smart people who make alot less noise and thus are more difficult to hear and notice. They move contently through life while expressing themselves ever so subtlety and sharing only with those who have the right set of ears. The real danger to me remains in becoming an idiot by accepting things blindly in order to reach that desirable state of happiness. Acceptance should not equal indifference, but as you get older the desire and strength to fight to make things right in your life wanes like all the other characteristics which you embody.

Hence Bukowski was right when he said, "We are almost all born geniuses and buried idiots." we get tired of fighting for being heard through a choir of drunken and persistently loud and dulling song.

I need to think about this and come to another answer than what "the professionals" want me to be in order for me to stay at my post.

Still struggling to find my way.

Rob

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:48 am

R.A.B. wrote:...

Rob

I use Google Maps! Who doesn't???

I vaguely remember a time when I wasn't dependent of a cellphone and could still find my way around! Must be dreaming. Maybe it was the brain tumour.

Game on!

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:01 pm

OTTOgd wrote:

Rob

I vaguely remember a time when I wasn't dependent of a cellphone and could still find my way around! Must be dreaming. Maybe it was the brain tumour.

Game on!

I think that I am screwed as well Kev as far as my growing dependency on the WWW is concerned. Instead of talking to new people about fixing my furnace I now watch a youtube video alone and remain speechless in front of a screen. Guys who know how to fix furnaces have alot of good stories about housewives you know.

Hell, I couldn't find the beer store in Ontario without a GPS or a friend. Friends are what I will depend on when I have lost my way, I know they won't crap out on me or mislead me and they usually do not run on batteries.

P.S. This post was inspired by Chnillapoil and a recent converstion we had about how the information age has made us less dependant on eachother and reduced direct human interaction. It has created distance in a way via the conveinience & ease of access to anyonnomously authored information. The latter is good for people who harbour disdain for other humans.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 10 times in total.

uberhare
MAACA Mage

Postby uberhare » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:08 pm

OTTOgd wrote:

Rob

Game on!

One of the hardest parts about learning to fly was navigation without a GPS! We had to do it old school by maps, instructor would get me lost and hand over the map to figure where we were!
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, F2K, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Lucky Ace, RCT, Cyclone (on loan, now with a certain screw removed)
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Slacker
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Slacker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:48 pm

'Instead of talking to new people about fixing my furnace I now watch a youtube video alone and remain speechless in front of a screen. Guys who know how to fix furnaces have alot of good stories about housewives you know."
I feel the same Rob, for those who have paid attention over the years I am a car guy at heart I use to stop by a buddies shop when I needed help or had a question. You-tube almost answers all my questions now. So just like you guys making your way down to the Church a few weeks back for a swap meet I make an effort to drive by my buddies shop see if the lights are on and stop by. It's up to us to make the trip sit back have a beer and enjoy the company. I go to Ottawa shows when I can, Allantown and hitch a ride from the bar back to the hotel with "other pinball people" , hit a league night if they will let me in and read this place and others daily when I can.
But hey what do I know I'm in pinball for the social aspect not the points. :-)
Cheers!
Playing.... SST, Buccaneer, Bally PB, Data East PB, Stern PB, TFTC, ACDC Pro, Hook, Totem
Gone. Magnotron, Bally Ticker Tape Bingo, Haunted House..... My Money and sanity

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:14 pm

@ slacker & uberhare - You guys "get it", but I am afraid that most of us in our mid forties and up are (as well as I) doomed dinosaurs. We are not part of the future, unless we want to put aside something we knew was important to our development. Same goes for the kids going forward with screens in hand, this is their tool and resource for development, and understandably the result is quite different than it was with us. There are major differences in social skill development and in the ways we communicate mainly.

Hugs from a different time and place where life was tangible and the augmented reality of late was just a cool idea that we believed would change things for the better. Goes to show you never really can tell, at least not yet.

R.A.B

uberhare
MAACA Mage

Postby uberhare » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:33 pm

R.A.B. wrote:@ slacker & uberhare - You guys "get it", but I am afraid that most of us in our mid forties and up are (as well as I) doomed dinosaurs. We are not part of the future, unless we want to put aside something we knew was important to our development. Same goes for the kids going forward with screens in hand, this is their tool and resource for development, and understandably the result is quite different than it was with us. There are major differences in social skill development and in the ways we communicate mainly.

Hugs from a different time and place where life was tangible and the augmented reality of late was just a cool idea that we believed would change things for the better. Goes to show you never really can tell, at least not yet.

R.A.B

Yup, you nailed it. We need to have a beer sometime....
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, F2K, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Lucky Ace, RCT, Cyclone (on loan, now with a certain screw removed)
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:57 pm

uberhare wrote:
R.A.B. wrote:@ slacker & uberhare - You guys "get it", but I am afraid that most of us in our mid forties and up are (as well as I) doomed dinosaurs. We are not part of the future, unless we want to put aside something we knew was important to our development. Same goes for the kids going forward with screens in hand, this is their tool and resource for development, and understandably the result is quite different than it was with us. There are major differences in social skill development and in the ways we communicate mainly.

R.A.B

Yup, you nailed it. We need to have a beer sometime....

@uberhare - Will do dude.

Always up for some talk with what conscious self-aware people are thinking. Hell, I certainly could do better incorporating different points of views into my equation these days, 'cause I seem to be stuck in loop with this old brain of mine. Gonna have to break free from the thinking that brought me here and soon, I think that I have taken it as far as I can go with this mindset. Time for a new life once again.

Bank-Coil

Postby Bank-Coil » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:45 am

When we are young life enthralls us with possibilities. It is not knowing what we can and can't accomplish that gives us optimism. It is the other end of ignorance is bliss. We can not know what we don't even know we don't know. As we make choices we inevitably need to give up other possibilities, as we shed possibilities, it happens slowly and quietly. We don't have time to come to terms with the lost optimism and the related energy which comes with them. It is easy to forget at times that the voyage itself exposes new possibilities, ones linked with appreciation, perception and wisdom. Along the way we can learn what we did not know that we did not know early on. Often we can discern that there was no end game in any case or sometimes options that we thought were amazing in youth were either misguided or too obscure to be obtainable. We now have the ability to understand where we came from, the pleasure and growth along the path and the new skills and understanding we have acquired along the way. It might seem in our revisionist minds that we always had these skills as they were acquired slowly and over a long time, but that is not the case. As I have always said our perspective creates our perception and our perception is our reality. It is only through our struggles, successes and experiences so far that we have such a broad perspective. Coming full circle I challenge you that we have more opportunities and more hope now than ever if we choose to, because our perception is broader, deeper and more discerning. What we may have lost in youthful intensity we have regained a multitude of times in our ability to sustain our emotions, have more meaningful experiences and to savor the gifts we have the privilege of having. Appreciation is not to be undervalued.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:24 am

Bank-Coil wrote:As I have always said our perspective creates our perception and our perception is our reality. It is only through our struggles, successes and experiences so far that we have such a broad perspective. Coming full circle I challenge you that we have more opportunities and more hope now than ever if we choose to, because our perception is broader, deeper and more discerning. What we may have lost in youthful intensity we have regained a multitude of times in our ability to sustain our emotions, have more meaningful experiences and to savor the gifts we have the privilege of having. Appreciation is not to be undervalued.

I agree with the above Bank-Coil. As exciting as youth can be (mainly because of growth hormones) young people usually do not yet have the ability to absorb experience the same way as older self-aware experience conscious adults. As we know, being distracted by the senses can consume alot of energy and that is OK when you are young because it makes reproduction more probable/successful in the earlier years of life and we all know that the show must go on. (to what end, I don't know) So the difference between how experiences influences perception in young and older differ via age and emotuional intelligence. Again, and as the senses dull other things develop, mainly thought process and emotional maturity. All I may be having trouble with these days is acting my age and balancing youthful energy with emotional stability. It is important not to lose the fun of being alive, yet it is also important to keep that energy in check later in life. Because let's face it, youth can also kill you after a certain age and maybe that is a good thing and part of the natural order of things. Not totally sure about that latter statement yet, but I thought I would throw it into the mix.

Yabo !

So the Reader's Digest may be right after all my friend. See you at the North Star tonight where young and old mix well.

Bank-Coil

Postby Bank-Coil » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:40 pm

I still play ice hockey in my middle years so I can vouch that youth can kill you after a certain age...... or at least the recovery becomes longer and more painful.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”