THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Talk about anything that you would like.
Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Re: THE MAACA DAILY NEWS! Your daily read about YOU,the members!

Postby Guard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:12 am

I know how you feel. I was kind of worried when I started reading these forums, with what appeared to be waaaaay too much drama for my liking, but I've found the community anything but that way. There is a guy, from Pin Rev, coming to my place today to have a look at my Target Alpha to see if he can help me out with it as he fixed his up a while ago. This offer came out of the blue not long after I shared some Fire Queen schematics to someone I didn't know via text photos.

I'm enjoying my new hobby immensely.....
PINS- Space Shuttle / Bally Black Jack / Star Trip/ Sinbad/ Target Alpha/ Fire Queen/Space Odyssey/ Supersonic

Slacker
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Slacker » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:29 am

So I also just was reading Uberhare's post and was thinking about everyone I now know thanks to this crazy place. I also met the TCPL guys when I replied to a message on here when Uberhare asked if anyone was in A-town and could grab him a PS Board for blackhole. I replied saying I would pick him one up and hook up once back in Ontario. I had never met him but years later have played at his place a number of times and was even able to play the Blackhole that part helped bring back to life. Cheers Jay
Playing.... SST, Buccaneer, Bally PB, Data East PB, Stern PB, TFTC, ACDC Pro, Hook
Gone. Magnotron, Bally Ticker Tape Bingo, Haunted House, Totem..... My Money and sanity

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:26 pm

uberhare wrote:Steph offered to send me the files I needed, and OTTOgd sent me the actual chips for free! I had never met Kevin before, and after a few PM exchanges I had these ROMs in my hands!

"What goes around ... comes around"

NOW GIMME YER CIRCUS! FAWK!

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Slacker wrote:So I also just was reading Uberhare's post and was thinking about everyone I now know thanks to this crazy place. I also met the TCPL guys when I replied to a message on here when Uberhare asked if anyone was in A-town and could grab him a PS Board for blackhole. I replied saying I would pick him one up and hook up once back in Ontario. I had never met him but years later have played at his place a number of times and was even able to play the Blackhole that part helped bring back to life. Cheers Jay

Ah yes! Much thanks - I thought it was a long shot, but you don't get if you don't ask! You guys are welcome to come play pinball anytime...

Kev - I'd trade you Circus for Spirit :twisted:
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Lucky Ace, Cyclone (on loan, now with a certain screw removed)
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:05 pm

So thanks to 2 strangers I have a working Target Alpha right now.

Jay, who came over and put his skills to work, and Sylvain who gave the advice in my PinRev thread that saved the day.
I would have never guessed something called a "coin unit" would control so much.....
PINS- Space Shuttle / Bally Black Jack / Star Trip/ Sinbad/ Target Alpha/ Fire Queen/Space Odyssey/ Supersonic

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:09 am

Well, my dad is back home from the hospital after a serious health issue. One good thing...

And today I am contemplating selling pins to purchase a van. I saw a couple of good ones for sale locally. I miss being able to haul stuff and not worry about if I can. But the problem is that I rather take a sledgehammer to a pin than sell one.

I will have to see... Decisions, decisions.

(No Sly, I am not selling you Sorcerer. LOL)
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

Sly
MAACA Barbarian

Postby Sly » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 pm

Sparky wrote:Well, my dad is back home from the hospital after a serious health issue. One good thing...

And today I am contemplating selling pins to purchase a van. I saw a couple of good ones for sale locally. I miss being able to haul stuff and not worry about if I can. But the problem is that I rather take a sledgehammer to a pin than sell one.

I will have to see... Decisions, decisions.

(No Sly, I am not selling you Sorcerer. LOL)

Close ... closer
Space Station Williams: RE-DOCK NOW !!!
Bride of Pinbot Williams: My god...She's alive !!!
Demolition Man Williams: Send a maniac to catch a maniac !!!
Terminator 2 Williams: Lock sequence initiated !!!
Elektra Bally: You have been exposed to Elektra's radiation....Will you return?

The best game is ALWAYS the one you dont have.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 pm

One thing I did clearly notice yesterday, is that the general population is tired and frustrated and impatient. Very much expecting instant info and getting use to that as a freakin' standard, when real life demands process.

Helas, I am repeating myself, But I think it needs repetition for most people to really understand that we are not living our real lives. May not matter what we think is real and genuine anymore.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:03 am

I think it's just people tired of winter. February is just fucking pure evil. LOL

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 am

Just contemplating my options after doing a retirement seminar last night. Can go in a little over two years but I'm thinking I have to go 5 more.......still, walking away at 63 isn't too bad. Sell everything and live the RV nomad life like I've always dreamed.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Sparky wrote:I think it's just people tired of winter. February is just fucking pure evil. LOL

February is half way done, but the first half was freakin' cold indeed and everyone at work and in my other entourages were dragging their asses under layers of clothes and somber thoughts. Coats, gloves, boots and all the trimmings were the order each time you went somewhere and again when you left somewhere to get back to where there was some warmth to be had.

Personally haven't had too bad of a time on the seasonal disorder front as in previous years, so I think I will make it to springtime in one piece. Very excited about the wonderful times ahead sporting shorts and t-shirt.

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:44 pm

Guard wrote:Just contemplating my options after doing a retirement seminar last night. Can go in a little over two years but I'm thinking I have to go 5 more.......still, walking away at 63 isn't too bad. Sell everything and live the RV nomad life like I've always dreamed.

Gonna gut the bedroom in the RV to make a gameroom? LOL

MCS
MAACA Collaborator

Postby MCS » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:29 pm

I’m sitting at the airport in New Orleans waiting for my flight to board after spending Mardi Gras here with some wonderful friends. It was a trip we talked about doing for years, but kept putting off. Then we realized we’d never do it unless we just booked it and made it work. So we did. And has it ever been good for the soul!

Looking forward to getting in some pinball in Toronto before heading back to Ottawa. There was only one place in New Orleans with machines on location worth visiting (which I did while waiting for my friends to arrive) and I met someone who knew about Ottawa Punk Pinball so that was kind of cool.

I’ll do what I can to bring back some of the nice weather. :)

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:41 am

"Temperature risin', the jukebox blowin' a fuse."

Not really, but maybe later tonight. i.e. "Well in the evening when the sun is sinking low, all day I have been waiting for the whistle to blow."

Therefore, working today at the North Star shop with James and two apprentices preparing the next machines for rotation. After lunch, it's the weekly maintenance and line up check up at the North Star, as every Saturday. Looks like new people wanna play, even in the winter, A whole new generation is turning on to real pinball in Montreal, this is a responsibility I take somewhat seriously.

Yabo !

Carry on I say, and make it count, or don't do it at all.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:35 am

Just chillin in Austria for the week, getting some training. Regardless of not sleeping in 36hrs, I took the time yesterday to visit Salzburg. I walked along the Salzach river, visited Mozart's birthplace, listened to an orchestra by the Mozart conseratory, walked along the Katacombes, soaked in the views and the art at the Museum Der Moderne and had a beer at the Augustine monastery.

Not a bad day. LOL

And Wednesday I plan on hitting a pinball joint 2kms away from my hotel, in the hopes of playing some European flipper.

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:43 am

WoW, not a boring job for sure ;-)
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

cdnpinballer
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cdnpinballer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:38 pm

I remember visiting the Augustine Monastery/ Brewery in 2005 and the beer was sensational. Enjoy!

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Guard wrote:Just contemplating my options after doing a retirement seminar last night. Can go in a little over two years but I'm thinking I have to go 5 more.......still, walking away at 63 isn't too bad. Sell everything and live the RV nomad life like I've always dreamed.

I'm sure the maaca crew can make room for your pins, so whenever you pull into a city you'll be able to ring people up and flip them once again! :)
Does the RV lifestyle exist much in Canada, given the months of rougher weather? Or would you travel Southern roads more?
GTB Sure Shot (loan), BLY Goofy, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
WANTED: 1930s bagatelles
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: R-Type (w/ship), Strider, Astro Invader
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Hang on.....I'm still working on the gutting the RV to hold some PINS idea.... :D

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 pm

found a Bad Girls pinball machine hiding behind GG Allin and friends
Attachments
ggallin.jpg
GTB Sure Shot (loan), BLY Goofy, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
WANTED: 1930s bagatelles
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: R-Type (w/ship), Strider, Astro Invader
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 am

Sparky wrote:Just chillin in Austria for the week, getting some training. Regardless of not sleeping in 36hrs, I took the time yesterday to visit Salzburg. I walked along the Salzach river, visited Mozart's birthplace, listened to an orchestra by the Mozart conseratory, walked along the Katacombes, soaked in the views and the art at the Museum Der Moderne and had a beer at the Augustine monastery.

Not a bad day. LOL

And Wednesday I plan on hitting a pinball joint 2kms away from my hotel, in the hopes of playing some European flipper.

Salzburg is very close to the Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden. I believe there is a bus tour from Salzburg. Interesting place of history if you're into that! Beautiful area to visit that you are in.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Lucky Ace, Cyclone (on loan, now with a certain screw removed)
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:09 pm

Yesterday February 24th was another landmark day for spreading pinball sub culture in Montreal.

The North Star successfully installed it's second location in downtown Montreal, this time on Bishop street just below Ste.Catherine.

This bar is a popular & very cool hang out called Pistolero @ 1238 Bishop street amongst a well known strip of established bars. Since this is a themed location we installed machines to match the decor.

GTB "Fast Draw"
GTB "Golden Arrow"
BLY "Dolly Parton"

I was there tonight, and let's just say that this has already made waves on that street. I felt right at home.
Patrons are freaked out at the eclectic feel of these vintage pinballs slowly making a comeback downtown. They are remembering and telling the stories which are inevitably associated to their relationship with pinball. This gives me a fizz.

27892479_1960241954304175_1877828365453361152_n.jpg

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:42 pm

Decided to search for 'pinball' on Netflix for some reasons.

Nothing much to be seen but I did watch the 'Atari: Game Over' documentary. Interesting...
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 pm

Azatotht wrote:Decided to search for 'pinball' on Netflix for some reasons.
Nothing much to be seen but I did watch the 'Atari: Game Over' documentary. Interesting...

I remember watching Tilt: The Battle to Save Pinball the first month netflix was available in Canada.
Today itunes has a couple pinball documentaries for rent and Vimeo has the Spooky pinball documentary https://vimeo.com/170208797
Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight

Postby R.A.B. » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:53 pm

This is going to be a tough post to press the "submit" tab on when I am done editing, but I have rarely been scared of doing things, especially when it comes to expressing ideas. So if my writing gets on your nerves, (you know, that righteous tone I have about fighting for something different than what is the norm) please move on. I no longer care about your ideas and justifications and you likely don't care about mine. There is no need to try to understand eachother right here. We can not change when we are confrontational/righteous angry and/or sport a dumb demeanor. We are who we are and we do not need to spout hurtful judgemental non-sense at eachother. It leads to nothing, and we are certainly and always at our most stupid when we react angrily to something others say or do. I know that there alot of you who will not understand what is below, and you may even get indignant, so be it, and may God bless you on your path. (I use the word God merely as an expression)

WARNING : this will be a long post, and if you are not one of the people I described above, please read on and I strongly recommend that you invest a little time instead of surfing the net when you are looking for answers or entertainment in hopes to quell your disenchantment with your present context. There are very few "answers" to what we are feeling these days in our deep loneliness and desperation in the face of that so common lack of meaning which we are likely living through our jobs, our family lives, our hobbies/interests, an over abudance of information (most of it useless in providing contentment) and in our facing the tribulations which others randomly bring onto your context along with the very real void of happening to finding yourself alive in these times instead of another place or time. You and I just happen to find ourselves in this particular here and now with no say, mainly because there was no you to decide to come into being. If you acknowledge yourself as being among the malcontent humans of these times, you may find an answer of sorts in what is below. I offer this to you in hopes that it may help you through what you may be living during these times. I offer this to you with all my hopes at finding your own voice.

Possibly the best thing I ever wrote on MAACA is quoted below in bold, following an intro which I think needs to preamble it.

And to back up my quote about trusting yourself, I have added a youtube link to a letter one of my favorite authors sent to another man who felt lost much like alot of creative and questioning people often do. After studying the words and thoughts and philosophy of those carefully chosen words in the letter read by its' recipient, my life thus far has begun making more sense to me for now, and I know that I am not crazy in believing that I am free and never obligated in any way to go with the flow of my upbringing, my education or the morals that I have been conditioned to believe as the unwavering truth as a path to a normal and orderly life which is suppose to bring me contentment. I am not part of the norm, and I never was all along, even though I secretly wanted to be as I tried to conform but failed each and every time. Each time I have not followed my gut in the face of a decision, I have paid for it down the line. But that is OK, the norm remains secure for many of us, and you can certainly go with the traffic and be happy, but remember and make sure that you convince yourself that you had no choice. No worries, you will have plenty of company. I think that I am just not part of that group and I have now finally accepted this and can move on. I know that I am part of a group of craziods that swim towards goals and finds no joy or peace in floating with the tide. Albeit, the floating may be useful to me occasionally in order to rest, but I believe that this floating will be useful for much later in my life. So , I believe that I am on my way to sorting out the non-sense of my present context in being true to myself in the deepest sense of what that means.

I admit to being very close to being happy as February winds down, and this did not come without years of pain and work. Hence, I feel a certain obligation as a human being to give back to some of the members on MAACA who have followed, listened and read my depressive ramblings of what I have written here over the past 7 years or so. I know that many of you are afraid to post back in accordance or disapproval, but I know deep inside me that many of us are living similar difficult things and are painfully questioning a course of action. We are never really alone even in our darkest hours, we just feel that we are and often feel shame and/or fear in admitting to being lost. We just need to talk to someone we trust when we feel shitty, it seems to help for some reason I will not discuss here. Yes, these are weird times, (for men especially, as the world changes much like women do in the later phases of their lives) and it may be for the better. Men are taking a beating for remaining the goal oriented beasts that we are at base - regardless, and as much as we try to make the world a better and more caring place, we can not change 10,000 generations in 50 years right now, no matter what the new age opinions and speculations on the www says. The song remains the same and an individual will always have a need to matter while freedom remains the most important aspect of our existence which we need to preserve and defend, for men and women. The real goal is to not hurt eachother in order to gain a sense of power over one another. We indeed need to care about more than ourselves, so I post this in hopes that it will bring you something more than what I have attempted to communicate thus far.

Margeret Atwood summed it up best in her quote,

‘Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.’

In other words, leave and/or exercise & practice respect in all situations. We are all at our dumbest when we are angry, we have seen this on MAACA and in our real life many many times.

When it comes to so called "professionals", it is essential for freakin' mindful and driven guys like us who have a good idea of who we are at base to firmly separate the wheat from the chaff. I may tend to trust a little too much vis a vis people with credentials, especially when I am feeling doubtful about my essence. Hell, one must always keep in mind that "they" are also just poor vulnerable humans like us with their own personal problems and challenges and bullshit. So one necessarily needs to take "some", and leave "some" based on the clear and concise goals that we know reside in our gut and also learn to leave behind what is just dumb formulated popular psychological tailored/trendy flavours of the month talk meant to empower all the dummies and lost souls which we are, all floating aimlessly and depressed somewhere/somehow. Then again, the latter may be too judgmental, everyone deserves a chance at happiness and peacefulness and some impression of being content, even if it turns out to be a lie, who cares. It can't hurt the overall social consciousness in the end and I guess that this is why pop psychology is so rampant and seemingly necessary these days. Everybody I know who has been through the mill and has seeked out help from these corporate based help services are now all talking the same way. It makes for very dull exchanges, but we are all happy now aren't we ? 

Yes, it seems that people in the first world are having serious anxiety problems due to an abundance of information often presented in a catastrophic manner by the medias and are therefore developing confidence issues while trying to get back to a state of normal in order to do their daily tasks. So it goes to follow that the real goal of these hired counselors is to keep the population populating and working at jobs they hate and it has become very necessary to keep things rolling even if they go against our real nature as diverse and creative creatures. Yet real life will continue to deal out painful and joyful issues even when your humanity is reduced to doing the same tasks everyday while having no say in what you are asked to do. Hell, most people have no voice at all as to what they do day in day out, it is like a new slavery. It use to be picking cotton and now it is about entering data and sitting in front of a screen all day clicking and typing in shit. And it seems that this lack of a voice for the majority of us poor schmucks is becoming more and more evident as technology dictates and controls our tasks while the powers that be are so conveniently removed from the general population's grasp while underhandedly allowing us the impression of having a say, but it is only an impression, they don't give a flying fuck what you think. In fact, we have little or no say as individuals in the face of what we have to endure in order to gain something close to a living wage. Being someone else's meal demands a certain resignation I guess, and that is what these aid to employee programs are meant to make you swallow. And that is not something absolutely everyone can tolerate. Some give in and look for small personal pleasures to compensate the pain of having no voice and no effect on their environment, while others continue to demand a voice. They will eventually and necessarily be quieted as they get weaker.

Some of us are born and educated to be "driven", - by what you ask ? I don't really know. But I do understand drive, although I do not always steer like a pro in order to achieve what I think I need to get to. Life remains a god-dam twisted journey and my goals of late have become unclear for some reason, I do not know exactly why. I strongly believe that is really where the problem begins to fester in my case. I know that being content and happy are an essential part of the idea of wanting to stay alive, but it seems that in the later phases of life this can only be maintained by an accepting approach and attitude to all the craziness and bullshit populating one's environment that "they" tell us we can not change. I know that there are many corporate clowns and processional puppets around me, but there are also very smart people who make alot less noise and thus are more difficult to hear and notice. They move contently through life while expressing themselves ever so subtlety and sharing only with those who have the right set of ears. The real danger to me remains in becoming an idiot by accepting things blindly in order to reach that desirable state of happiness. Acceptance should not equal indifference, but as you get older the desire and strength to fight to make things right in your life wanes like all the other characteristics which you embody. 

Hence Bukowski was right when he said, "We are almost all born geniuses and buried idiots." we get tired of fighting for being heard through a choir of drunken and persistently loud and dulling song.

I need to think about this and come to another answer than what "the professionals" want me to be in order for me to stay at my post.

Finally, hugs -

R.A.B.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”