Writing about pinball at creditdotpinball.com

Talk about anything that you would like.
spiroagnew
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Writing about pinball at creditdotpinball.com

Post by spiroagnew »

Thought I'd share this new project with the enthusiasts here too.

Against my better judgement, I’ve decided to start a blog. “Blog” is kind of a dirty word and it probably doesn’t describe what I’m attempting. I needed a way to post long-form, opinion-oriented, essay-style writing about pinball in an easy-to-read format. I think long-form writing is a void that isn’t currently filled in the pinball arena. The Pingame Journal isn’t very relevant anymore and the Pinball Magazine only gets released once per year. Other than those publications and a few ‘Zines, there isn’t much writing about pinball period...most commentary is communicated in two or three sentences on a message board or in a podcast. Maybe there is a reason for that...maybe nobody wants to read about pinball anymore. Oh well, I’m giving it a go regardless, and you are welcome to follow along. Guest columnists are welcome if you feel the itch to write an “article” length piece and express your creative voice.

Please visit http://creditdotpinball.com and watch the train wreck unfold.

Thanks everyone,
Rob/Rod/Spiroagnew
Rob
creditdotpinball.com

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Writing about pinball at creditdotpinball.com

Post by WARLOCK »

All the best with the endeavour Rob.

Movingpictures
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Movingpictures »

Good stuff, keep it up!

"I didn’t get a chance to have a single game on America’s Most Haunted. It was down. Every time I went by to try to play it."

AMH was down for at least half the show.
I was able to play a ball and enjoyed it.

Definitely some kinks to work out, I observed the following:
- The entrance to the hellavator can trap the ball between parts of the ramp.
- The left orbit shot can make the ball disappear - only to be shot out the scoop SDTM a good 10 seconds later while the player was investigating the playfield. I saw it happen twice and neither player had any clue what had happened until the bonus countdown.

All in all a promising game when dialed in.
I'm excited to play it again.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

I like long form game reviews a lot, will be adding this yo my RSS reader for sure.
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

I think it'd be great if you double-dipped and posted your blog entries in a dedicated thread here on MAACA as well. Then we wouldn't have to go ALLLLLL the way over to www.creditdotpinball.com too. :D

Pinball.Customs
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Pinball.Customs »

WAY less depressing than some other pinball blogs. :)
http://www.pinballcustoms.com

CHECK OUT MY BLOG! PB Customs' Whacky Mod Hacktorium!

Maker of hand-made pinball mods since 2008!

Gis
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Gis »

That was a pretty nice article, we need more with this kind of writing.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

Pinball.Customs wrote:WAY less depressing than some other pinball blogs. :)
Ha, depressing blogs? :)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

spiroagnew
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by spiroagnew »

Thanks for the kind words guys. Looking at my stats, MAACA is the top referral site thus far, which is odd, because I rarely post here. Your support humbles me.

Again, I hasten to call myself a "blog" per-se, I just needed a forum to organize my writing and get my thoughts stored somewhere. I hate to say it, but most blogs are just a big circle jerk, written to appease only the blog writer and get free stuff. I guess its a good sign that I have not been invited to any of these circle jerks yet.

OttoGD - I did have the notion to just post what I wrote on message boards, but I don't think message boards are built for this kind of thing. Places like MAACA and PBRev are more about freeform, quick and dirty posts, rather than in-depth reads and borderline manifestos. Whenever I did try to write something longer and submit it as a board post, it was met with a collective shrug...no sign that people were reading...no comments. At least with a blog, I can track if there are visits and thus judge if its worth putting forth the effort.

If people continue to read, I'll keep it up. Again, thanks everyone.

R
Rob
creditdotpinball.com

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

spiroagnew wrote:I did have the notion to just post what I wrote on message boards, but I don't think message boards are built for this kind of thing. Places like MAACA and PBRev are more about freeform, quick and dirty posts, rather than in-depth reads and borderline manifestos.
I disagree. Have you read RAB'S MOSTLY PHILOSOPHICAL HOME PINBALL REPAIR JOURNAL?: http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14426

... or Scott's "Tales of Pinball Adventures": http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10989

Good, chunky reads.
spiroagnew wrote:At least with a blog, I can track if there are visits and thus judge if its worth putting forth the effort.
Okay, how about you just post the opening paragraph or two and leave the readers hanging with a "... continue reading here ..." with a link to your blog. Then you can still track the refs and less chance we'll forget about your efforts.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

BTW if anyone laments the death of Google reader still, I use inoreader for RSS now. It is great for subscribing to all of the pinball blogs, setting up notifications from pinside, and tracking RSS feed searches from Kijiji.
Obviously not for everyone, but now this is in my pin group and I won't miss a post. :)

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Rob,
Keep it up.
We are reading.
Cheers.
Scott

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

spiroagnew wrote:Thought I'd share this new project with the enthusiasts here too.

Please visit http://creditdotpinball.com and watch the train wreck unfold.

Thanks everyone,
Rob/Rod/Spiroagnew
No trainwreck here, at least none that I can detect via my mindset.

Particularily enjoyed the most recent one, on moms, - not mods, not really my bag of tricks, although those texts are well written indeed, never losing the attention of the mod oriented reader.

Keep up the hard work, it is indeed hard work, as well as risky and rewarding laying all this stuff out.

And finally, can I call you Rob ?

Rob
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

spiroagnew
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by spiroagnew »

R.A.B. wrote: No trainwreck here, at least none that I can detect via my mindset.

Particularily enjoyed the most recent one, on moms, - not mods, not really my bag of tricks, although those texts are well written indeed, never losing the attention of the mod oriented reader.

Keep up the hard work, it is indeed hard work, as well as risky and rewarding laying all this stuff out.

And finally, can I call you Rob ?

Rob
Thanks for the kind words. My approach to the site is less about what happens, pin-related, in my day to day life (which YOUR thread captures beautifully) because, honestly, not much does lately with a full time job, a two-year-old and one more in the oven...and I'm afraid it would be short and not very entertaining. Its fitting that you'd pick up on the one very "personal" post I did put up (you being the bard of the philosophical journal and all)...it just felt right putting that up for Mothers Day. As the site grows, maybe there will be more room for that kind of stuff but for now, it will just attempt to connect the dots in the pin community.

I seem to go by many names...pick whichever one suits me best!
Rob
creditdotpinball.com