Newfoundland Status - Muster Station

Talk about anything that you would like.
Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Re: Newfoundland Status - Muster Station

Post by Chris Silver »

Its confirmed and I'm sitting in the Montreal airport waiting for my 10am.

If anybody would like to get together while I'm down or host a possible meet up with some locals let me know. There are a couple guys I need to run into individually and think it would be great to hook you guys together. :mrgreen:
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

maffew12
MAACA New Contributor

Post by maffew12 »

Chris Silver wrote:Its confirmed and I'm sitting in the Montreal airport waiting for my 10am.

If anybody would like to get together while I'm down or host a possible meet up with some locals let me know. There are a couple guys I need to run into individually and think it would be great to hook you guys together. :mrgreen:
hey welcome back. There was another fella on kijiji trying to round people up. i just directed him here. getting to be a decent amount of people now.

is that South Park still in the mall? we should meet at the Fog City next to the arcade sometime... good burgers

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

The nice thing about this thread is that its easy to find just by typing the word "muster". I lose a lot of material from being absentminded.

I contacted what seemed to be an older gentleman today who's ad I found in a buy and sell magazine. He was looking for a pin and posted a want. I figured it would take a second to direct him to our Newfoundland ad and have him check maaca out.

I've been back on the rock for near a week with a shit ton of horror stories I've been through least of which has been the weather, but that's another day. I'll finally be reunited with my Bally Beat The Clock this weekend. I handed it over to an old friend when I left abruptly after my last contract. I shipped him some parts I picked up at Starburst and walked him through the minor repairs. I'll have a functioning game to play in between beers come Saturday.

Still hunting Newfies with the hope of growing our eastern community. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BTW: Our ad out there has had 1257 views.
Last edited by Chris Silver on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania

maffew12
MAACA New Contributor

Post by maffew12 »

Chris Silver wrote:The nice thing about this thread is that its easy to find just by typing the word "muster". I lose a lot of material from being absentminded.
so absentminded you can't remember the name of the island you're on?? :FP:

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

maffew12 wrote:
Chris Silver wrote:The nice thing about this thread is that its easy to find just by typing the word "muster". I lose a lot of material from being absentminded.
Good point, but I have a few threads with the word newfoundland in it and I'm the only person out of Total posts 132827 | Total topics 14308 | Total members 2064 to ever use the word "muster".

maffew12
MAACA New Contributor

Post by maffew12 »

Chris Silver wrote:
maffew12 wrote:
Good point, but I have a few threads with the word newfoundland in it and I'm the only person out of Total posts 132827 | Total topics 14308 | Total members 2064 to ever use the word "muster".
gosh, I'll never muster up that many posts.

:mrgreen:

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

maffew12 wrote:
Chris Silver wrote:
maffew12 wrote:
gosh, I'll never muster up that many posts.

:mrgreen:

Matt,

You just need to learn from Chris. Follow his lead, and you'll have a bunch of posts before you know it. In fact, Chris is considered a dynamo of sorts in both Quebec and Ontario by now, and he is at it again by laying some pinball muster down on the rock. It is scary in a way, but what ya gonna do ? He is as good an ambassador as one can get for the money we pay him these days, and it really isn't a whole lot to tell you the truth. In fact, he just got out of the Hamilton area recently and I am not sure what kind of ruckus he created there during his recent stay, and I am just starting to hear echos now.

Best regards from Montreal,

Rob
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Linkage
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Linkage »

There is apparently a WPT at Westside Charlies in St Johns / Mt. Perl now too. Not sure which location.

maffew12
MAACA New Contributor

Post by maffew12 »

Linkage wrote:There is apparently a WPT at Westside Charlies in St Johns / Mt. Perl now too. Not sure which location.
Thanks a lot for jogging my memory, man... it's actually at the Dooley's on Water St. Me and Chris checked it out last night. Plays good. I'll add it to the tracker.

SJAACA now in full swing :mrgreen:

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

Going to Dooly's Saturday night after work to play WPT and drink Dominion.

I know Matt gets email notification of the Muster Station thread. Anybody interested in going I'll be there around 8:00pm. Might grab a bite to eat first at Greensleeve's on George.

Dooly's - Pool & Billiards Sports Bar
Address
354 Water Street
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C 1C4
(709) 754-8885

Linkage
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Linkage »

Another multi machine pickup coming next month. Will post pics.

Bally Boy
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Bally Boy »

R.A.B. wrote:He is as good an ambassador as one can get for the money we pay him these days, and it really isn't a whole lot to tell you the truth. In fact, he just got out of the Hamilton area recently and I am not sure what kind of ruckus he created there during his recent stay, and I am just starting to hear echos now.

Best regards from Montreal,

Rob
Rob, he didn't really create any ruckus down here....... we've been causing our own ruckus for years now.... we welcome ruckus and general mayhem!

It was a pleasure to meet Chris in person, he is a true pinball enthusiast, but he really does have a knack of flushing out pinball where ever he goes! The fact that he posts his adventures is a breath of fresh air. Keep the posts coming.

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

Thanks for the words guys.

Unfortunately I must declare Newfoundland a dead zone for pinball. Short of Linkage and Maffew12 there are no open arms or doors on the island. Its too bad linkage is on the other side of the rock. It would have been great to see his acquisitions. Matt is a fantastic guy alone with the passion on the Avalon Peninsula. We got together a couple times but work and life gets in the way. I have met a couple other "collectors", but they are people who own pins not pinball enthusiasts. According to Sparky Labrador is worse off.

Since I first came in September and posted the MAACA ad on kijiji I have received almost 1600 views with little to no activity. Individuals have contacted me by email looking for repair advice and I tried redirecting them here through the link in the post. They have no interest in community. My ad mildly increased results when searching for pinball, but the increase is due to a couple people generating want ads.

On the commercial side there are 4 known machines across the entire province (great thanks to the pinball tracker). The two operating in St. John's are in definite need of repair.

In closing I don't really know what to say. Different people and different cultures have different interests. Out here recreational boating is slim to none and having beers out in the shed is the popular past time. We all have different hobbies. If everything was the same everywhere life would be monotonous. Its a beautiful province with friendly people, great culture and fantastic food just don't come looking to play a four player game.

I fly home on Sunday after a long difficult stretch. I look forward to swinging by R.A.B.'s before Pitt St. is gone forever then heading home to be with my family. I might even head downstairs and push a button. ;)

maffew12
MAACA New Contributor

Post by maffew12 »

i agree buddy it's a tough spot for this...

"other Chris", if you ever read this, we're very disappointed in you :mrgreen:

Anyhow glad you enjoyed things here overall. Was it some other thread on here that I read about loads of pins going back to operators based on the mainland when things got unprofitable? I think it's just a forgotten thing here. I can only remember back to the early '90s 'boom' and being robbed of my few dollars really fast. It's great to have a pin now (one without so many damn rules, too!) and try to actually get good at it. Which it looks like I will have some more time soon for playing and (posting about) tinkering.

On another note... I'm about to piss off to Europe for a bit. Barcelona's about the only place I'll have a little while to catch my breath. Anyone know where I could begin to find info on some pins to play there?

bonne nuit!

Linkage
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Linkage »

Sparky you ever have any luck in Walbush? I'm here for a couple months now. Reached out to a couple contacts who used to operate forty years ago and see if they knew any anyone who did in the area.

Linkage
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Linkage »

Sad.

tom_454
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by tom_454 »

You won't find anything in Labrador City or Wabush. I grew up there and the last (arcade) operators were located in Quebec so all their inventory was routed in from the Quebec North Shore area. Once the last arcade closed down (early 90's I believe) everything left with the operator. I still have friends and family there and none of them know of anyone in the area with a pinball machine. I have tried for years to convince my sister and brother-in-law that they need one for their basement - but no luck.
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

tom_454
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by tom_454 »

Just buy yourself a snowmobile and enjoy the outdoors. Little early yet - winters used to start earlier when I was a kid. There used to be a municipal bylaw that forbid the usage of snowmobiles within town limits before November 1st (because kids would tear up the neighbours lawns if there wasn't quite enough snow). Full disclosure - I might have been one of those kids but don't tell my dad. ;-)
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

I've seen a couple new Newfies join Maaca over the last year so I figured I'd bump this thread.

Linkage
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Linkage »

I think Mike joined, he took the plunge pretty deep. Not sure who else. I sold a much of first machines to guys recently,so there's more and more collectors. Still fragmented though.

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

Linkage wrote:I think Mike joined, he took the plunge pretty deep. Not sure who else. I sold a much of first machines to guys recently,so there's more and more collectors. Still fragmented though.
You're in charge of uniting the province Ralph. ;)

It's in your best interests.