Possible revenue generating idea for House Of Targ?

Talk about anything that you would like.
Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Possible revenue generating idea for House Of Targ?

Post by Fifty »

Hi guys,

This idea doesn't necessarily have to be applied to HOT. I've just had too much time to think of late and needed to write things down and get your feedback from them. I'm just going to post them here exactly the way I thought them up without any filtering. Then you guys can pick it apart.

My first idea is a "Pinball For Newbs" course.

The Pinball For Newbs course is a $25/1 hour introductory course on pinball. Classes are limited to 10 spots. The pinball machine will be chosen by the instructor. This course will cover;

- some basic history on the pin, the manufacturer and any unique features of the pin
- explain the terminology of a pin (flippers, slings, pop bumpers, plunger, outlanes, etc.)
- explain some of the shots
- explain how to start a game
- explain how to start a 2 or more person game
- explain how to use the flippers (one at a time)
- explain skill shots (if applicable to pin)
- finish off with a mini tourney (perhaps 1 ball each)

The course would bring in $250 for 1 hour of work. The instructor would pocket $100, and HOT would pocket $150. I don't know how the taxes would work. Plus HOT would get the added side benefit of the pupils buying beer, food and sticking around to play after the course has completed. I envision the course being held on slower days at HOT (if there are any). This of course could also lead to an advance course where the instructor could explain the objectives, and talk strategies for higher scores. The layout of the course would depend on the level of the students.

The nice thing about this is you would have people register in advance. Once you get 10 people you arrange a course. Nothing has to happen until then. I think an hour is fair for $25. Hell I could instruct a course for an hour. I know the majority of people on this forum would have no difficulties talking about pinball for 60 minutes.

Okay... chip away at this idea.

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor

Re: Possible revenue generating idea for House Of Targ?

Post by Fifty »

I have other ideas... I'll post them after this one has gone through a once over. I'm feeling shy today. ;)

SquidVicious
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by SquidVicious »

I think it's a nice idea but I can't see there being any real audience for it ... an alternative might be for HOT during a slow period to hold an ask the expert(s) type event where one or more of the local players could be in attendance to provide pointers and such ... HOT gains by newbs (or more advanced players seeking specific game knowledge) coming out during slow periods ... maybe pay the person in a brew or two most players want to see the game expand.
SM GOT TZ CV TOTAN AFMLE Congo Meteor 2021

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Fifty »

SquidVicious wrote:I think it's a nice idea but I can't see there being any real audience for it ... an alternative might be for HOT during a slow period to hold an ask the expert(s) type event where one or more of the local players could be in attendance to provide pointers and such ... HOT gains by newbs (or more advanced players seeking specific game knowledge) coming out during slow periods ... maybe pay the person in a brew or two most players want to see the game expand.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. 58 views... I was starting to wonder. You're right, there might not be an audience for it. You would have to advertise it and then see if there is any interest. I believe there is an audience out there that is just, well...afraid to try a pinball machine. I've seen kids avoid them. Pinball is a different experience and for those unfamiliar it can be quite daunting. Remember the first time you picked up a PS3 controller or XBOX controller? Button overload, but it wasn't that bad after all. The nice thing about my idea is that there is zero cost other than some flyers posted around HOT (or wherever).

Your idea for advance gameplay was where I was eventually going (you beat me to it). Advance gameplay clinics to get the most out of your game/score and maybe even Operator clinics to help people (new pinball owners) out with basic maintenance like learning to lift the hood and do little things light bulb and rubber changes. I know when I first started I didn't know the difference between a #44 bulb and a #89 bulb. There are a lot of things us pinball folks take for granted.

SquidVicious
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 10 times

Post by SquidVicious »

Now the repair idea is a definite winner and one that you could easily charge decent dough for .. lots of people with basic skills in repair that want to learn more (as well as total newbs that you are right need info to lift the playfield) ... there was a clinic run by a member on Maaca about 4 years ago (maybe 5) it was a 3 or 4 day event that cost 300 or 400 I believe (it was basic+ pinball and video repair ... done by a fellow named Randy if my memory is correct)

Advance play is another maybe idea ... alot of that information gets passed around during tournaments or also in the videos on the PAPA site but maybe there'd be an audience.
SM GOT TZ CV TOTAN AFMLE Congo Meteor 2021

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Dave W. »

SquidVicious wrote:Now the repair idea is a definite winner and one that you could easily charge decent dough for .. lots of people with basic skills in repair that want to learn more (as well as total newbs that you are right need info to lift the playfield) ... there was a clinic run by a member on Maaca about 4 years ago (maybe 5) it was a 3 or 4 day event that cost 300 or 400 I believe (it was basic+ pinball and video repair ... done by a fellow named Randy if my memory is correct)
I'm with you on this one. I've worked on my vids for many years now, and want to finally pick up a first pin, but the idea of servicing/maintaining it is a bit daunting (I've never lifted a playfield :? )

The Evener
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by The Evener »

I like the idea of a Pinball for Newbs course, but I don't think you could really charge for it; it's more of a goodwill/building interest in pinball type of outreach. At $25, I think most people would opt to simply spend it on 30+ pinball games and figure things out that way.

Much of what you're proposing to cover as course content we've all experienced through trial and error, or perhaps from a quick conversation with another player who shared some tips. In many ways, I see the course as an "in person" explanation of the game rules posted on the instruction card, with the value added of pinball history, mini tourney, etc. I've definitely noticed people that could benefit from your proposal at different times at TARG, but I'm not sure we could formally register/gather ten of them on a given time/date?

My own gut says that this kind of outreach would work great at a pinball tournament, especially if you have a B or Kids group as a way to demystify the tournament and getting all newbs on the same footing -- advertise it as a "Pinball Tournament for beginners" with a built-in orientation session before the competition starts.

I think there's more likely to be interest in paying decent cash for a repair course as mentioned earlier.

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!