Ottawa pinball show update.

Talk about anything that you would like.
MadTitan
MAACA Millennial

Ottawa pinball show update.

Post by MadTitan »

Over the course of the last 6 months I have been searching for a new venue for the show. As I've stated in the past, I wanted to find a "home" for the annual show. Every venue we have had has been troublesome in many different ways,  mostly power distribution,  but other issues like accessibility,  parking, licensing..... the list goes on and on.

I am very adamant on resolving these things before I invest thousands of dollars in hosting the show. What I've let slide in previous years had had its impact over time and I'm just not willing to spend the whole weekend diving under rows of games running cables and having a dozen or more games shut down repeatedly.

With this in mind I can only say that finding such a place has been extremely difficult. If the place had all the requirements it either cost twice what the show averages each year or didn't want anything to do with the show (scratched floors being the main argument). I've searched high and low, extending my search to vacant stores in strip malls, churches, community centres, etc. It's been a God damn nightmare to be honest.

During my search I did manage to find a place that would literally be perfect and should prove to be a great home for the show. Unfortunately,  they don't have a full Friday through Sunday available for the rest of the year. I have postponed commenting on the state of the show up until now as I have still been clinging to the hope that a decent spot will appear. That doesn't seem to be the case.

It being mid July,  I have decided to throw in the towel for 2016 and continue to build a relationship with the potential new venue for the 2017 show. There is very little time left to solidify a venue and still have time to promote and organize the show.

I apologize to everyone looking forward to the show this year, and appreciate all the suggestions for locations and general support from you guys.

With all this being said, please note that I am not slouching on the planning for 2017. I am keeping an open line of communication with the new place, and making sure that as soon as their cut off date of advanced booking approaches, I will be there to book it and begin advertising in all the pinball show listing etc.

My vision for the next show will be a huge leap in presentation and quality. Having the venue booked by the end of this fall will be a huge time saver and allow me to focus on promotion and logistics. Missing this year is a bit of a hiccup,  but I believe it's the right decision to make rather than pull of a half assed, low quality show that could be a disaster.

Thanks everyone.

cbeaupre
MAACA Silent Type

Re: Ottawa pinball show update.

Post by cbeaupre »

I am heartbroken, but optimistic. :)
Self-diagnosed pinball addict since 2005. Ottawa Pinball and Game Room Show attendee since 2011.

Owns: (Bally) Flash Gordon
Wants: Something late 40s to mid 80s.

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Fifty »

Disheartening for sure. If I had know I would have made the effort to attend the Hawksbury Flea Market, but I understand that sometimes the timing just doesn't work out.

I'm glad to hear it is not dead. This will give me more time to get my pins back together so I thank you for that! :)

I have every confidence you tried your hardest to make this happen and I have no doubts that the show will return in 2017.

Thank you Josh!

monty
MAACA Half-ling

Post by monty »

it's absolutely better to wait than to rush things and settle for a sub-par venue which would no doubt cause many headaches, and even worse, potentially put your money/investment at risk.

thank you for your continued hard work organizing this. looking forward to 2017!

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

That sucks severely. The Ottawa Pinball Show is what got me into Maaca and launched me deep into my previously small hobby.

I hope something could casually materialize and still offer this year a slight possibility. I only need 24 hours notice to pack a pin or two. There has to be something.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Panthera, Baby Pac Man, Blackout, Alien Poker
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars
WTB: Black Knight, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by steamfitter »

maybe something like Chris Silver did in hawksbury could be done in Ottawa region to compensate .
Pins: Black Hole , Flash Gordon , Meteor , Star Trek
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , star trek , Black Jack , SEGA Space attack , meteorites

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

Esteban
MAACA Silent Type

Post by Esteban »

My son and I were looking for the 'save the date'. We loved our experience last year. This is really sad and I sincerely hope that you'll find a solution. Thank you for your putting this great event together and looking forward for the 2017...actually let's say the 2016 edition ;)
Pins:
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Space Shuttle
Superman
The Amazing Spiderman

Wishlist: Twilight Zone, DE Star Wars, Batman 66 Premium, Williams Indiana Jones

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

steamfitter wrote:maybe something like Chris Silver did in hawksbury could be done in Ottawa region to compensate .
The Hawkesbury Flea Fair was a totally different animal. The venue and license was free with the focus on the flea market and our collector society. The general public weren't invited but they were welcome. In total it cost me $100 and a lot of work (full sympathy to Josh. I see the workload). I have a new location and intend to go massive next spring. It will operate completely different and encompass the full aspect of our hobby and more. I'll be explaining that in the near future.

I just had an idea for the Ottawa Show. What large indoor licensed areas are full during the week but empty on weekends? How about large resto bars in business parks. They make money all week and shut down on weekends due to nobody being in the area.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Panthera, Baby Pac Man, Blackout, Alien Poker
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars

flashinstinct
MAACA Half-ling

Post by flashinstinct »

List of places that could still potentially work, donèt know where you have looked but if everyone pulled together and lent a hand we might make this reality. I was waiting for this event all year.

MIFO in orleans might have been a good place? Small yet conveniently placed (http://mifo.ca/)
R.J. Kennedy Community Centre and Arena (They have a farmers market on Saturday's)
shenkman centre Orleans

Josh if you need help printing promo I could definitely help
Last edited by flashinstinct on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanted: Blackwater 100
In the shuffle: Transformers LE, TWD Pro, Lord of the Rings

flashinstinct
MAACA Half-ling

Post by flashinstinct »

Wanted: Blackwater 100
In the shuffle: Transformers LE, TWD Pro, Lord of the Rings

quarter grabber
MAACA Half-ling

Post by quarter grabber »

If the upfront capital is the issue maybe we could crowd fund this as a community? I can donate $100, then the next guy can donate $100, and the next guy $50 and so on. We might be able to get enough together to rent a nice venue quick? Just a thought.

Sparky
MAACA OG
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Sparky »

Josh, don't you EVER be sorry. Do you even realize what you have accomplished so far?

So what if 2016 is off the schedule. There is always next year. And as for this year? What is stopping us from just making a big BBQ get-together??
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Post by pinhead »

Sparky wrote:Josh, don't you EVER be sorry. Do you even realize what you have accomplished so far?

So what if 2016 is off the schedule. There is always next year. And as for this year? What is stopping us from just making a big BBQ get-together??
Kudos Ian!

Josh you have moved mountains and I am proud of what you have brought to the community. Next year will be awesome!

I will have some games to bring also.

2017 here we come!
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

PinMeds
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by PinMeds »

After 5 straight years this really is just a hiccup. 2017 will be awesome I have no doubt.

Save me a wall...:)
https://www.pinballmedics.ca

Canada Pinball and Classic Arcade Historical Archive: https://pinballmedics.ca/ottawa-pinball-archive/

The Evener
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by The Evener »

Sparky wrote:Josh, don't you EVER be sorry. Do you even realize what you have accomplished so far?

What he said!

Probably only way to make something happen would be a gathering based on the Hawkesbury model or even a more informal BBQ.

MadTitan
MAACA Millennial

Post by MadTitan »

quarter grabber wrote:If the upfront capital is the issue maybe we could crowd fund this as a community? I can donate $100, then the next guy can donate $100, and the next guy $50 and so on. We might be able to get enough together to rent a nice venue quick? Just a thought.
The issue is really finding a venue for 3 full days that doesn't have anything booked. most places have 2 or 3 events booked per weekend. In my attempts to find the perfect venue to use for all future shows, they got booked up. I found the place, but they booked up ages ago. so, I'll be booking it for next year asap.

quarter grabber
MAACA Half-ling

Post by quarter grabber »

MadTitan wrote:
quarter grabber wrote:If the upfront capital is the issue maybe we could crowd fund this as a community? I can donate $100, then the next guy can donate $100, and the next guy $50 and so on. We might be able to get enough together to rent a nice venue quick? Just a thought.
The issue is really finding a venue for 3 full days that doesn't have anything booked. most places have 2 or 3 events booked per weekend. In my attempts to find the perfect venue to use for all future shows, they got booked up. I found the place, but they booked up ages ago. so, I'll be booking it for next year asap.
Ah I see. That makes sense. Thanks so much for doing this each year for us Josh! Can't wait till 2017 :D

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

I was doing prices for the flea fair. You can get an 80'x100' circus style tent 3 days fully set up and insured for $4000. That's nuts. It can be placed outside a decent bar/pub with a liquor license and food. Golf courses have the square footage and outlying bars. For me it's cheaper to get a whole arena for the weekend where I'm at.

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Post by Fifty »

Chris Silver wrote:I was doing prices for the flea fair. You can get an 80'x100' circus style tent 3 days fully set up and insured for $4000. That's nuts. It can be placed outside a decent bar/pub with a liquor license and food. Golf courses have the square footage and outlying bars. For me it's cheaper to get a whole arena for the weekend where I'm at.
Golf courses crossed my mind as well. Pretty much all of them have some sort of Hall. Unfortunately August/September are very popular months for weddings and they were all booked solid.

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

Fifty wrote:
Chris Silver wrote:I was doing prices for the flea fair. You can get an 80'x100' circus style tent 3 days fully set up and insured for $4000. That's nuts. It can be placed outside a decent bar/pub with a liquor license and food. Golf courses have the square footage and outlying bars. For me it's cheaper to get a whole arena for the weekend where I'm at.
Golf courses crossed my mind as well. Pretty much all of them have some sort of Hall. Unfortunately August/September are very popular months for weddings and they were all booked solid.
We just need the square footage outdoors for the circus tent. You can drink anywhere on a course. The tent can be place on pavement in the lot. The price includes the tent rentals being set up and torn down. We would just need power run.

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

It can also be placed on fairgrounds or where they hold blues fest.

cait001
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by cait001 »

quarter grabber wrote:
MadTitan wrote:
Ah I see. That makes sense. Thanks so much for doing this each year for us Josh! Can't wait till 2017 :D
Agreed, looking forward to it, despite the wait. Thanks for the perseverance, Josh.
That means 2016 should be dedicated to celebrating the public pinball we do have going on in this city, with 3 great locations. (Targ, Neighborhood Pub, Lowertown)
WANTED: 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

MaskedVillianPinball
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by MaskedVillianPinball »

Just throwing this out there but I work at a HUGE catering hall in Perth (about 1hr west of Ottawa) and I know come Jan-March the hall is dead and can be rented cheap. Now, this is a ways out (not much farther then Hawkesbury from Ottawa) especially for Mtl people but it is an option. The hall could easily hold I would guess 50 machines if not more (it holds 300 ppl seated).

Just thought I would mention this :-D

Hope we can get something together for 2017 and maybe some smaller local event until then :-D
MaskedVillianPinball
https://www.twitch.tv/maskedvillianpinball
Live Pinball streaming!

Pins: Stern Magic 1979
Gone: Bally Night Rider EM, Gottlieb Airport EM

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Post by Fifty »

I know for me that January, February and March are not good times to have a show of any kind. January and February tend to be the months everyone flies south for winter vacation. March is much of the same but you have multiple March Break weeks thrown in there as well.

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

It's cancelled. That is all.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”