games without slings

Talk about anything that you would like.
cait001
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times

games without slings

Post by cait001 »

I have a Gottlieb Sinbad and a Williams Kick Off and love them both. They have really great staying power as machines because they really reward experience with the angles. Both games have no slingshots, so the overall randomization is limited. Each has 4 flippers and so 5 ways to drain, but that means few good feeds and lots of reading the ball's movement 2 bounces ahead of time.
I always liken them to the pinball equivalent of snooker. You have to know the bounces instinctively, and chances are if you drain it's going to be your fault, not just a ball dumped in there by the slings.
Gameplay is constant drop pass, bounce pass, or playing on the fly.

Does anyone know any other games with no slings?

If you get a chance to go for these games (or the Sinbad EM equivalent, Eye Of The tiger, or the other themed Kick Off: Quarterback) I highly recommend picking them up. Of all the machines I've bought over the years, these two are probably the top values of plays vs cost.
There is a lack of cruelness in that there's no harsh sling drains, but extra cruelness in knowing that when you drain it's your own damn fault. That really amps up their "one more game" factor. And if they ever start feeling easy to you, just ramp up the steepness.
Attachments
IMG_20160909_224553b.jpg
IMG_20140913_201146b.jpg
WANTED: 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Re: games without slings

Post by pinhead »

Stern Galaxy, that was our outdoor summer game for a couple of years. We kept it strapped to the dolly in the garage and rolled it out when we were outside.

Great game!
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

pinhead wrote:Stern Galaxy, that was our outdoor summer game for a couple of years. We kept it strapped to the dolly in the garage and rolled it out when we were outside.

Great game!
oooo looks fun! And the lane posts are mercifully tapered downwards so the ball won't just skip along the tops and in to the outlane (like, say, Ghostbusters!)
Attachments
stern galaxy.jpg
WANTED: 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)

spiroagnew
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by spiroagnew »

C37 and Abra Ca Dabra come to mind (they sit side by side in my gameroom). Also, there's Quick Draw/Fast Draw, Vulcan/Fire Queen, Bronco/Mustang, Jacks Open, Old Chicago and Volley. Volley looks like it should have slings under the tri-sided plastics, but there are scoring switches only!

As for solid states, I can only think of Incredible Hulk and Bally's Grand Slam.

Laser Cue has one sling on the left. Nothing on the right. Makes for some weird action.
Rob
creditdotpinball.com

quarter grabber
MAACA Half-ling

Post by quarter grabber »

Baby pac-man has slings but they don't work.

ALJO
MAACA Motormouth

Post by ALJO »

Flipper Football has slings but they don't work either.
Haunted House is one game I Iike that does'nt have slings, game play is quite diffrent without slings.
Last edited by ALJO on Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by semicolin »

Pokerino has slings but they're not aggressive angles and it has that same double flipper setup that you like. HoneyBadger has one for sale, I think.

Drano
MAACA Millennial
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Drano »

Lots of EMs for sure. Several System 1 Gottliebs had none. COUNTDOWN is one I've owned with no slings. It looks like they are there but they are passive. There are also a lot of great layouts with combinations of one sling and either a passive one opposite it or none at all. JOKER POKER is a great example of this

Interflip DRAGON is another. It has multiple in-lanes that award various rollover values, so it has a bit of a bagatelle/plinko quality to it.

brewmanager
MAACA Half-ling

Post by brewmanager »

We had a Sinbad at Bluffs early in the year - was surprised how much I enjoyed it, great game.

On my radar to own personally, as Warlock didn't enjoy it as much I don't think he'll be hunting another one.
HS, RS, WW, JB, MGOW, MET, AC/DC, JO, TWD (all pro), HGT

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

Haunted House is a great example.
As is Dragon. I love games where the slings aren't there so the nudging is paramount. The inactive-slings are a bit less fun imho. I appreciate designs that exclude the standard sling design.
The single sling games, like Joker Poker, Alien Poker, Laser Cue, are also pretty fun for me.

Manu2
MAACA Buck

Post by Manu2 »

You have Bally's X's & O's and Spectrum with no active slingshots. Severall spanish electronic pinballs from Playmatic do not have slingshots at all, or only one slingshot.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”