Allentown Pinfest 2017!!!

Talk about anything that you would like.
Chnillapoil
MAACA Warrior

Re: Allentown Pinfest 2017!!!

Postby Chnillapoil » Sun May 07, 2017 5:32 pm

ShootAgain wrote:Came back home with two grail pins and good memories.
Thanks to Julien, Lee and JF for this wonderful journey!
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0914.JPG

I thought I saw middle fingers in place of thumbs, I'm probably hallucinating sorry..... :FP:
HIGH SPEED 1986
PIN*BOT 1986
TAXI 1988
VOLLEY 1976
MAME MARIO BROS 1983
RACER BY MIDWAY 1975
FATHOM 1980
MS PACMAN (cocktail project)

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Sun May 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Congrats Jason !!

We did not pay anything at borders either, there was nobody in line and the border agent seemed like he was having a serious hangover lol

These classic pinball machines are collectables and worth a lot of money aren't they ? ... No .. ah ok, have a nice day ...
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Honey Badger
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Honey Badger » Sun May 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks Sylvain and Cait!
For Trade: HUO Game Of Thrones Premium
For Sale: Gottlieb High Hand
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Iron Maiden, Vampire, Superman

"You're either with us or against us"

"Guilty by association"

"This is Pinburgh...that's how we roll!"

Splitskull
Admins

Postby Splitskull » Sun May 07, 2017 7:12 pm

Awesome event like usual.

Played all the new (for me) pins:
-Dialed in - very good game, shots are nicely lay out, some very interesting features (like controlling the flippers with your OWN personal cell, the Quantum theater looks cool, the phone in game is a nice way to see what to aim for without glancing at the backbox lcd, selfies lol, emoji overload hehe, etc). I loved this game
-Aerosmith - nice lcd animations, but that about it. Nothing impressed me.
-Houdini - looks nice and has a few good features, probably will be better with time (code) and wtf playing 1 person at time at 2 balls only... I found that very annoying.
-AFMR - big lcd with tiny speaker holes looks weird... but loved the game.
-Alien - umm.... looks nice, animations are good, but I feel that is to much stop and go for me. Each time you shoot at something, feels that game stops, gives you a cut scene than releases the ball. For me is a turn off. Also, I'm sure when you get used to look at the display in the field, the tv is the backbox becomes useless.

I'm extremely disappointed with the quality of playfields of all these new pins(not only the one listed above) that came out compared to the old Williams, Bally, Sega era. Scoops are getting destroyed and dimples in the clear coat in a few days compared to the old playfields. I can't believe that in 20+years, no one is capable of producing a playfield that resist better....

Special thanks for whoever got the nice MB to the show. Totally fun pin to play with.

Ramada was ok. No bedbugs. THAT is a MUST for me. :thumbsup

This year, The Baywatch babes followed me back home (and yes, is the one with the color screen)

Hammerhead
MAACA Barbarian

Postby Hammerhead » Sun May 07, 2017 8:32 pm

cooke wrote:Had a great time but will never ever stay at the Comfort Suites again.

We'll never be staying at Comfort Suites again either . . . had a very "eventful" last night there. I'd be interested to know what your experience was.
I am François du Grimm, and I will get medieval on your derriere!

Splitskull
Admins

Postby Splitskull » Sun May 07, 2017 8:47 pm

WTF happened at the Comfort suites this year? Curious...

MCS
MAACA Collaborator

Postby MCS » Sun May 07, 2017 9:31 pm

Splitskull wrote:WTF happened at the Comfort suites this year? Curious...

Serious issues with the assignment of rooms and keys. I'll let others tell their own stories, but we had someone walk into our locked room because they had been given a key and told it was theirs.

Not sure what happened on the last night...

Hammerhead
MAACA Barbarian

Postby Hammerhead » Sun May 07, 2017 10:47 pm

Let's just say the cleanliness of the room after the cleaning staff were finished left A LOT to be desired and leave it at that.
I am François du Grimm, and I will get medieval on your derriere!

Honey Badger
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Honey Badger » Mon May 08, 2017 4:07 am

MCS wrote:I haven't met the kitten yet, so I'd have to say this is the best thing at the show so far...

Yes truly awesome that the women's classic Champion came from Ottawa as well. Congrats!
For Trade: HUO Game Of Thrones Premium
For Sale: Gottlieb High Hand
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Iron Maiden, Vampire, Superman

"You're either with us or against us"

"Guilty by association"

"This is Pinburgh...that's how we roll!"

tombiosis
MAACA Collaborator

Postby tombiosis » Mon May 08, 2017 6:36 am

Nice to see a bunch of great pins coming into Canada!
Congrats Jason and MCS on the big wins! Bravo!
Pins: 8BDlx, 6M$M, Sorcerer, Stern Elvis, World PokerTour

WTB: Fish Tales, Fathom, Centaur, TSPP

Quit talking and start chalking!

tombiosis
MAACA Collaborator

Postby tombiosis » Mon May 08, 2017 7:26 am

I watched the last bit of the tourney...on CENTAUR with authority on the last ball!!!
Nicely done man!
Pins: 8BDlx, 6M$M, Sorcerer, Stern Elvis, World PokerTour

WTB: Fish Tales, Fathom, Centaur, TSPP

Quit talking and start chalking!

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon May 08, 2017 8:17 am

Well, I let the dust settle and enjoyed family time yesterday after getting home around suppertime.

This was probably my most positive Allentown show to date, and for many reasons:

1- got to spend good times with great friends. That is priceless. Especially with the Skull Splitter and the Metro. ;)

2- Many historical mistakes were now corrected. Including this first one... thanks to Cooke, I now have a STERN FREEFALL!!! No more regretting selling my old one.

3- As I entered the show (first in line!!!), I headed for the flea market instantly and found a Williams Sorcerer project for 550$. After changing the power supply, IT PLAYED!! Beat buying the other Sorcerer at the show, listed for 1500$ and it didn't work. LOL

4- I got a cab for peanuts in order to save another pin. BOOM!

5- As we got to the border, the poor customs agent looked like he was on the last minutes of a double shift and really didn't give a flying fuck about what we had. He took a 2 second glance at my green paper for the Freefall, briefly glanced in the back from his seat, asked how much I paid, and gave off a "just go away" vibe with his body language and waved us through. LOL.

6- 3 cases of 30 beers for 39 bucks.

7- 11 pounds of licorice. Eat your heart out, Mrhide. LOL

8- Cracker Barrel lunch on the way back. Oooohhhh yeah...

9- The Ramada was OK. Kinda beat up, but you know what? For 70 bucks a night, the bed was comfy, the room was clean, and the shower was good. Good enough. good restaurants around it too. I will probably book there again next time. Not exactly in a hotspot like Comfort Suites, and the traffic was sometimes heavy going to the Ramada, but whatever... I didn't want to pay 180$US per night for a hotel to have someone else take a crap in my room, and deal with Angie the bartender from hell. LOL

My only negative? Too many pretzel rolls. I am on day 3... still blocked. LOL
Account deactivated

DrDude
MAACA Mage

Postby DrDude » Mon May 08, 2017 8:19 am

So this was the first time I've been back to Allentown in over 10 years (I think the last time I went was 2004 or so), and it has grown in many ways over "the olden days", with changes good and bad.

There were apparently 366 games in the freeplay area this year, and that part was simply amazing. So many titles, including some true rarities, and multiple copies of some games so you could compare the level of restoration/tweaking of a game to find one that actually played well. Prices were all over the map, with some good deals to be had, but a LOT of high-prices. Obviously, negotiating is the key, and everyone I knew who bought a game was able to deal. I do understand how folk will ask good money for a fully working game: Any game which can stand up to 2+ days of freeplay is a solid restoration. Highlights in the freeplay area for me were:
    - Skateball: Very clean, played well, and for whatever reason usually no one playing it, so it got a lot of plays from me
    - Capcom Breakshot: Super clean (as most Capcoms seem to be) and played just perfectly. A very simple game, almost old-school, compared to other titles from that era, but very fun pool-theme, up there with EBD in terms of fun and challenge. I played this one a lot!
    - Blackwater 100: Haven't seen one of these in years. Dead mint (aside from one little piece of trim above the drops that was put on with double-sided tape, and ended up hanging halfway off), Lots of fun, but tough-tough-tough. The chaos of near continuous 3-ball multiball, and the weird over-the-apron shot were a blast!
    - War head-to-head cocktail: Very simple game (no CPU, just 74-series logic gates, so you know it doesn't have a lot of rules!), but fun to play and clean/solid game. The asking price was very reasonable for this rarity, and as it was fully working would have made a good acquisition for someone
    - Freefall: Have never had the chance to play this rarity (1,300 made). Backglass had a missing chunk at the top, but over-all this was in really great shape (asking price was $US 1,600). It played reasonably well, though had some dodgy switches, crucial controlled-lamps were out, and some loose screws on the playfield: I still played it a lot, taking the opportunity knowing I might not see it again for a long time. Sparky ended up buying this for a great price, so it came back to Canada. On the last day, the game died while I was playing it: Flippers went out. Sparky was able to fix it (bad solders, contacts, and blown fuse), but it will still need some love. Game was a lot of fun: Another Harry Williams design, like Flight 2000, and with the same ball-walker lock.
    - Nineball: There were actually two Nineballs, one very clean but not playing so well (including issues like the usual 8-target bank not resetting cleanly), and a dirty one that played very nicely though it had a home-made drop-target in the horse-shoe. Both games exhibited the typical Nineball lock-up during multiball and had to be power-cycled to restore play. Pretty sure there were some dirty/misadjusted switches on both games which contributed to the problems.
    - Classic Stern-o-rama: There were 5 Meteors, 2 Stingrays, and a beautiful beyond-new restoration of F2K. None of the Meteors played well at all: METEOR drops were stuck-down on one, flippers were terrible, roll-overs would not register, etc. It was impossible to enjoy Meteor if you had one at home like I do to know how it _should_ play. The F2K restoration was incredible, with a fully scratch-built cabinet (you could smell the new pine smell when he opened the coin-door) and a playfield re-screen/clearcoat that was literally surreal with the saturation of the colours. It had LEDs everywhere which I'm no fan of, but did work well with the super-bright colours of the playfield. I had to laugh at the boards in the head though: Had Alltek boards, including the lamp-driver (as you would need to have controlled LEDs), but there was a skanky-dirty original ribbon-cable connecting the MPU to the SB-300 sound-board! If you rebuilt the cabinet with new wood and put in new boards, you think you'd pay the $25 to replace the ribbon-cable with new, since this part contributes to reboot and sound issues (or at least sponge off the 40-year-old dust!) Alas, the F2K was not available for play, but _was_ available for sale (asking price was not listed, but the guy said he'd take $6K).

The vendor area was dominated by Mayfair and Marco, but there were no show-deals I could see.
    - Was disappointed in the availability of things like posts and lane-guides, and other playfield basics: Almost nothing!
    - Very little in the way of paper (manuals, pinball magazines, etc.). Lots of flyers, but I don't need anymore of those
    - My good friend Tim Smith was there with his Pinball Parts Plus booth, and he had great prices, undercutting the big guys on basics like bulbs and rubbers, along with stocking some obscure HW that no one else had
    - LEDs and light-up playfield-toys were everywhere: It's clear that people love this kind of stuff, especially for 90's and newer games. Not my cup of tea, but did buy a "fire" LED flasher (show special at $4) to try out in my Meteor pop-bumper, and we'll see how that looks
    - Overall, the vendor area didn't really wow me compared to past years. In particular, Pinball Resource apparently hasn't bothered to show up in Allentown for some years, and this meant a lot of game-specific parts were not available

The parking-lot fleamarket was rained-out, so that may account for the pretty shitty availability of project games, playfields, and boards. The indoor fleamarket area had a number of vendors with project games laid out, but the prices were whacked: In most cases only 10% or 20% cheaper than the same game in the freeplay area. Should be more like half-price! Almost nothing under $US 500.
    - I saw one Canadian scored what I consider to be the only deal-off-a-truck, which was a nice looking Big Game for $US 350
    - There was a reasonable Catacomb, which was the one game I was looking for, but it was $US 2200! It immediately attracted a swarm of people, furiously texting the owner, but they dispersed after a while, presumably having had their offers rejected. It did eventually sell, but alas not to me!
    - Very few junk playfields, less than a dozen in total. I was really hoping for really any classic Stern, as I want some flipper-mechs to replace the Gottlieb crap on my Cheetah. Oh well..
    - No big piles of boards. Half of what was there was video crap. Was hoping to get at least one Stern SB-300, but the only sound-boards I saw were early Bally (AS2518-50). In total, Robi and I scooped up maybe 20 Bally/Stern MPUs, solenoid boards, and lamp-drivers
    - Was looking for a Bally transformer for Dwight's $6Mman, but the only one we saw was a Stern transformer/rectifier-board combo that was on top of a crappy-old Hot Hand project, but he wouldn't sell as it went with the game. Talked the guy into selling it eventually. Then saw he had a working MPU-100, also from the Hot Hand, and tried to buy that. Initially a "no" as well. Got that board in the end, leaving a very sad and empty Hot Hand on the floor. Couldn't happen to a nicer game! Anyways, he got more money for those boards than the remaining carcass was worth, so all were happy with the result.
    - No big piles of playfield parts (posts, screws, solenoid mechs, etc). There were parts here and there, but really slim pickings, and mostly seemed to be EM stuff (score-reels, etc.). I have to think that the guys who normally bring boxes of junk stayed away due to rain, and only the folk who paid extra to be indoors and thus had higher-ticket items like complete games were represented

Show overall:
    - Great job by the volunteers, and overall infrastructure (power, etc) was good. There were rumours that some games were getting low-power, and many games did seem to have weak flippers, but hard to tell if that was power or the games.
    - Crowds were thick, but not ridiculous. Good attendance, so I'm sure they made money, but not so many people that you couldn't move or get on a game
    - Food in the building is crap, but the Farmer's Market across the parking lot has so much to choose from that this really isn't an issue
    - Toilets were "meh", and I really am not a fan of the old-man-attendant system, but whatever

My biggest complaint is the way they handled entrance for folk accompanying a freeplay/vendor attendee. I understand that you only get one free-entrance per game you bring, but Robi had two games and his girlfriend and kid, and had to fight to bring in the kid! AND they don't allow you even to pay for the extra persons, as for example on Thursday there is only entrance for freeplay/vendor setup. What is he supposed to do with the kid, leave her in the truck in the rain? Dwight and I also had to try to sneak in, as we too arrived on Thursday. There was one security guard who was very diligent in going after everyone's armbands on Thursday, including interrupting people in mid-game play to roll up their sleeves, so we both got caught and kicked out. We would totally have been willing to pay to get in, but that was not an option on Thursday. Robi was able to talk the volunteers into giving us arm-bands (helped when I showed them my bag of tools and multimeter), but it was a big hassle. They really need a way for freeplay/vendors to register a small number of guests for paid early-entrance, at least immediate family members.

Anyways, had a good time, especially putting some faces to MAACA members I only knew electronically! Special shout-out to redketchup/Gino for bringing me some 6/32 carriage-bolts for my Sterns! It was great to meet up with Pinball-friends old and new!
Last edited by DrDude on Mon May 08, 2017 8:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Nineball, Seawitch, Lightning, Cheetah
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Catacomb, Solar Fire, Balls-a-Poppin Seawitch backglass
Lust-worthy: Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

trueno92

Postby trueno92 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:28 am

great review!!!!

i certainly appreciated reading about the show as I had a friend out there and he was texting me in the thick of the action. this really gave it a good visual to go along with the errand texts!

unfortunately it confirms my suspensions to give up on getting a new pin anytime soon.....

pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight

Postby pharoah007 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:44 am

Splitskull wrote:
This year, The Baywatch babes followed me back home (and yes, is the one with the color screen)

That right flipper needs a rebuild ;)
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi

" The Honey Badger wants some bananas"
- Woody

"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes

I am with us.

pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight

Postby pharoah007 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:50 am

Tim Smith at Pinball Parts Plus is a nice dude. Got good deals on parts and sent many other Canucks to him.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

- Allentown produce Nazi

- Woody

"Balsamic please"

I am with us.

DrDude
MAACA Mage

Postby DrDude » Mon May 08, 2017 9:06 am

pharoah007 wrote:Tim Smith at Pinball Parts Plus is a nice dude. Got good deals on parts and sent many other Canucks to him.

Couldn't agree more. Tim is a great guy: I met him at my first pinball show back in 2000 or so. He is always willing to cut you a deal if you buy a bunch of stuff, and although his selection is not exhaustive (he only has one pickup truck to transport his stock), it's certainly eclectic. I ended up getting tested/mint sound- and driver-boards for my Black Hole for $US 50, which was a great deal (I can't trust the boards I have in it now, as they were swapped into a certain person's on-location Devil's Dare).

Tim is trying to bring in some new items for his next show, including newly manufactured metal lift-channels for both 3/16" and 1/8" backglasses, backglass plastic trim protectors, carriage-bolts for coin-doors and side-rails, and all manner of other 80's pinball HW that currently require you to scrounge in the parted-out-games piles. If you see Tim's booth at a show, buy with confidence and say "hi" from Grant!
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Nineball, Seawitch, Lightning, Cheetah
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Catacomb, Solar Fire, Balls-a-Poppin Seawitch backglass
Lust-worthy: Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon May 08, 2017 9:14 am

DrDude wrote:- Freefall: Have never had the chance to play this rarity (1,300 made). Backglass had a missing chunk at the top, but over-all this was in really great shape (asking price was $US 1,600). It played reasonably well, though had some dodgy switches, crucial controlled-lamps were out, and some loose screws on the playfield: I still played it a lot, taking the opportunity knowing I might not see it again for a long time.

...It will be at the Canada Pincon. ;) You will play it again. And it will be all fixed and shopped.
Account deactivated

pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight

Postby pharoah007 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:16 am

Anyone who hangs out with me at Allentown knows I spend more time outside than inside ;)

This years game was "crush and kick" A few of us here played in 2 different locations.

Twilight zone is brutal at this game and needs to work on his kick forum :FP:

Pic for those who know....if you look closely you can see evidence ;)

-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

- Allentown produce Nazi

- Woody

"Balsamic please"

I am with us.

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Mon May 08, 2017 9:17 am

Yeah, great Allentown reviews/reads!

... especially for those who missed yet another adventure, darnit.

Sparky wrote:Well, I let the dust settle and enjoyed family time yesterday after getting home around suppertime.

This was probably my most positive Allentown show to date, and for many reasons:

DrDude wrote:So this was the first time I've been back to Allentown in over 10 years (I think the last time I went was 2004 or so), and it has grown in many ways over "the olden days", with changes good and bad.

Last edited by OTTOgd on Mon May 08, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

eh97ac
MAACA Mage

Postby eh97ac » Mon May 08, 2017 9:20 am

DrDude wrote:Tim is trying to bring in some new items for his next show, including newly manufactured metal lift-channels for both 3/16" and 1/8" backglasses, backglass plastic trim protectors, carriage-bolts for coin-doors and side-rails, and all manner of other 80's pinball HW that currently require you to scrounge in the parted-out-games piles. If you see Tim's booth at a show, buy with confidence and say "hi" from Grant!

Already done for a few years now, hit up GATECRASHER on Pinsde

Drumheadz
MAACA Mage

Postby Drumheadz » Mon May 08, 2017 9:38 am

ShootAgain "securing'' the shipment... :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_0888.JPG

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:12 am

Sparky wrote:
DrDude wrote:- Freefall: Have never had the chance to play this rarity (1,300 made). Backglass had a missing chunk at the top, but over-all this was in really great shape (asking price was $US 1,600). It played reasonably well, though had some dodgy switches, crucial controlled-lamps were out, and some loose screws on the playfield: I still played it a lot, taking the opportunity knowing I might not see it again for a long time.

...It will be at the Canada Pincon. ;) You will play it again. And it will be all fixed and shopped.

Hurray!
BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan), DE Jurassic Park (loan)
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Centigrade 37, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: R-Type (w/ship), Strider, Astro Invader
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

MCS
MAACA Collaborator

Postby MCS » Mon May 08, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks for the congrats, all! Despite my mixed feelings about there being a women's division, I'm happy to have made the finals both days and come home with a trophy, defeating the PAPA Women's Champion in the process. :)

Next year I think I'll spend more time exploring and less time focusing on the tournament, but this was my first year there and a bit of a recce mission. As Grant said, it was great putting faces to names and meeting a bunch of wonderful people in real life! Looking forward to seeing a lot of you again at PinCon.
"What's romano?"
"It's a cheese."
"And why do I care about it?"
- Best exchange I ever heard at Carrabba's

4eyes
MAACA Collaborator

Postby 4eyes » Mon May 08, 2017 11:05 am

I had to take a Pic of these guys....

IMG_2733.JPG
AFM, STTNG, TZ, TOM, FH, WW, TAF, JP, DH, EBD

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”