Allentown Pinfest 2017!!!

Talk about anything that you would like.
TwilightZone
MAACA Death Knight

Re: Allentown Pinfest 2017!!!

Postby TwilightZone » Mon May 08, 2017 11:16 am

pharoah007 wrote:Twilight zone is brutal at this game and needs to work on his kick forum :FP:

I missed the first kick :-) After that I was gold.

Congrats to Jason and MCS. Great to see Ottawa represented!

Had a great time. Was awesome catching up with folks. I brought back nothing, but a small order of parts. Great to see so many games coming in to Canada.
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Joomla CMS Hosting and Design - Ottawa Joomla Design
http://www.ottawajoomla.com

Lime Survey Hosting - Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

DrDude
MAACA Mage

Postby DrDude » Mon May 08, 2017 11:26 am

MCS wrote:Thanks for the congrats, all! Despite my mixed feelings about there being a women's division, I'm happy to have made the finals both days and come home with a trophy, defeating the PAPA Women's Champion in the process. :)

I'll add my congratulations to the others! It really was great to see you and Jason take top honours, and show some of the PAPA heavyweights that they shouldn't take Canadians for granted: It's not just the War of 1812 that we won!

What I liked about the Tournament:
    - Points based on your Rank on a given game! This is much better than the often used strike-out system, as you are objectively competing against the entire field of players, not just the randomly assigned partner in head-to-head play. Great way to do it.
    - Choosing your own games to play instead of random assignment! I loved this, and it was the main reason I entered. I had no desire/ability to play Indiana Jones, but give me Mata Hari and Centaur and I'm a happy camper.
    - Having a digital leader-board (on your phone, or on the big screen) made it more exciting and easier to follow the results and strategize what game to play next
    - Low cost of entry: Free for two plays, and then $5 for additional games up to a total of 8 (for $30). This way, money came in but didn't prevent those with no money from trying their hands at it

What I wan't so happy about (more words here, but that's just because I care!)?

Players were allowed to "buy in" extra plays to try to improve their standing (fair enough), but there was a cut-off (clock-time) on the last play. At least one highly ranked PAPA heavyweight was seen stalling on his play on Centaur just before the cut-off, holding the ball for 30 seconds or more at a time, obviously trying to run out the clock so that other players wouldn't get the chance to try to improve their scores and out-rank him. I understand the need to prevent the tournament from taking forever, but there are other ways to fix that, such as allowing multiple players to play on each game at once: Since the tournament was purely score-based, not strike-based, this would have been quite doable, and note that this is what they did in the final round, so I don't understand why they went with 1-player at-a-time.

Tournament players were forbidden to practice on the games. Why? I understand not allowing freeplayers to use the games so that they don't break, but registered tournament players should have a shot at getting used to the quirks of each game. This apparently did not extend to tournament organizers who were also in the tournament, as we saw them playing the games in the morning. They said they were just checking to make sure the games were working (fair enough!) but seemed definitely like a conflict of interest.

The biggest issue was that several of the games had flaws/quirks that resulted in problematic experiences. Two notable examples: First the Mata Hari saucer at the top would kickout the ball straight-down-the-middle every time. It didn't do this on day 1, but absolutely every time on day 2. You had to give the game a solid whack on one side to get the ball to go to a flipper, and as shooting the saucer is the key to high scores on Mata Hari, this was "not great" to say the least. Second, Centaur's left flipper was iffy, and it was almost impossible to shoot the right Release lane, and even dropping the ORBS targets was tough (in fact I ended up using the left-inlines to get a Release, probably because there was a ceramic power-ball captive there, and it really flew). There was also something goofy with the one-way gate at the top of the game (guarding the multiplier lanes). This should be a no-thinking plunge shot, but on one of my games the ball slammed into the mis-positioned gate and came screaming backwards down the Release lane and sewered. Probably the mounting screw was loose, but I don't know. In any case, with such a large pool of games to choose from, I would expect the tournament games to be in absolute top-condition, fully dialed-in and solid as a rock. If a game develops an issue (like the Mata Hari did), either fix it or take it out of play. As there were organizers monitoring every game being played, this should have been caught (yeah, I know, sounds like armchair-quarterbacking).

Anyways, none of these quibbles is to take away from the hard work of the organizers who did a beyond-excellent job of keeping on top of the chaos of nearly one hundred entrants on so many games: They were attentive and friendly. And aside from the one PAPA guy, all the players were polite and happy to help each other out, giving advice on what was wonky with each game. It's surely not easy to run such a large Tournament, and I think the results speak for themselves. Congrats again to our Canadian participants and winners!
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Nineball, Seawitch, Lightning, Cheetah
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Catacomb, Solar Fire, Balls-a-Poppin Seawitch backglass
Lust-worthy: Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

DrDude
MAACA Mage

Postby DrDude » Mon May 08, 2017 12:42 pm

One final entry on my Allentown debrief: The new games. The show was quite amazing in that regard, with many examples of all the latest Sterns as well as new games and even prototypes from the Alternative Manufacturers.

I didn't try the Dialed In (not a fan of the theme) or the AFMr (the original was there with no lineup, so I went for it instead). I did wait through the 30min lineup on Alien, since I love that movie. Great looking game, with VERY solid and quality-looking playfield HW: The ramps looked like they were forged-steel. I really liked the way they did the Outer Door toy, which was layers of etched glass with LED under-lighting: Looked great, and likely to last forever. The metal-framed cabinet with plastic transparencies on the sides was cool, but the backlighting on that didn't seem to be working when I saw it. The BG screen was mostly just echoing the playfield screen, so I don't really see the point of that (could have just gone with a traditional translight/score area). The sound-samples from the movies were excellent, with things like the MU/TH/UR computer effect, the sound of the iris-vents closing in the ducts, and the egg-squishy noises all bang on and really bringing you back to the film. The playfield didn't flow that well for me, but I'm not a great technical player, so maybe not the game's problem. I did find that the huge delay to show "here's what you need to shoot for" at the start of each mode was a bit much. There were some obvious software glitches, but this is a prototype. The up-kicker failed several times during my time in line, often taking 15 or more times to get the ball out of the scoop. Was kind of pathetic watching the ball hop up and fall down like an anxious puppy, but I suppose that is just a small HW problem. Over all, I would play this game over most of the New Sterns, just due to the theme and sounds.

Batman 66 (OK, this is a Stern) was a game I really wanted to like. Looked totally retro, and the sounds were again simply excellent, bringing back lots of memories from watching the show as a kid. All the classic villains are represented by their own mode, and feature sound-clips and graphics to match. I really liked the Penguin mode with the crane: Unique and fun. I found the bat-phone/TV toy a bit lame: would rather have had just a cool bat-phone where you could maybe knock the handset off the cradle or something. The game _was_ a lot of fun, and I came back for more, but the cabinet was so light that just pushing the flipper buttons seemed to move the game, and it was constantly tilt-warning even when I was VERY careful not to nudge, so I came away with an impression that the game was cheap. I don't think this game would stand up to much on-location play.

The best of the new games there was Houdini. Game looked great, with Houdini's eyes staring at you out of the playfield, changing colour and attempting to mesmerize you. Probably because they didn't have to pay an exorbitant licensing-fee, the game has a lot of bang for your buck with cool toys that really impress. The reverse-hands mode was super-original (edit: OK, TSPP had it, so not so super-original!). It was a bit weird how they only allowed 1-player at a time for 2-balls: I guess that was to keep the line moving.. Robi and his girlfriend Any both achieved Grand Champion on the game at the very end of they show (we had just torn down our games and loaded the truck, so this was after 7pm Saturday). The company rep was staring at them google-eyed as they proceeded to whip that sucker for over 20 minutes! Here's a picture of the smiling couple in front of the machine (Robi put in Any's name for his score because he's a gentleman -- sorry I didn't get a picture of Any's 2nd place score, but I believe it was about 270,000):
IMG_20170506_200334.jpg
Last edited by DrDude on Mon May 08, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Grant Goodes

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:04 pm

While certainly Aerosmith is nothing to sneeze at, all of these great reviews of Dialed In, Aliens, and Houdini should really be giving Stern some pause.
This all sounds great.
Was Total (Nuclear) Annihilation at the show?
BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan), DE Jurassic Park (loan)
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Centigrade 37, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: R-Type (w/ship), Strider, Astro Invader
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

Chris Silver
MAACA Goliath

Postby Chris Silver » Mon May 08, 2017 1:20 pm

MCS wrote:Thanks for the congrats, all! Despite my mixed feelings about there being a women's division, I'm happy to have made the finals both days and come home with a trophy, defeating the PAPA Women's Champion in the process. :)

I don't really see a purpose in there being a women's division. It's not like weightlifting. Though it might actually attract women to play if they feel less intimidated by arrogant pricks.

It appears they should have had a special Canadian division. ;)
Pins: Lightning, Af-Tor, Embryon, Stellar Wars, Beat The Clock, 8 Ball Deluxe LE
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire!, Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle
WTB: Punk!, Spirit, Elektra, Mars god of War, Cosmic Gunfight, Barracora, Centaur, Centaur II, Medusa, Buck Rogers
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Mon May 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Personally, I liked Dialed In a lot more than any others. Fast flowing game, lot's of fun ! If I was to save my money for any of the new games, this would be my only target.

The best sounds ever were probably going out of the Hobbit speakers, wow the sounds rocks on that game. But that's about it, played for half an hour on first ball until the guy who was playing with me left to play something else :FP: :lol: Multiball after multiball, it's almost impossible to lose your ball.. to the point that I did not even finish my game, I got bored and let a kid finish it (and probably write Grand Champion initials) ;-)

Alien.. I wanted to like it but I didn't like how it plays. Scratched this from my want list. I found the lockdown bar/flipper buttons layout weird, did not feel comfortable at all ( I have small hands). Just for that I would not own it.. it's stupid I know, but makes a huge difference.

Ghostbusters/Aerosmith/Batman66/Whatever all new Sterns plays the same... they are ok but not great. The lcd screen resolution is very good.

Houdini I liked. Had all kind of issues when I played it and the guy had to restart it 3 times. First lost a ball.. then cpu crashed... but it's a prototype so it was to be expected. Display looked good, sounds were good too, a game I would like to spend more time on once finished. Most shots were tight.
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

TwilightZone
MAACA Death Knight

Postby TwilightZone » Mon May 08, 2017 1:32 pm

I'll add my reviews for the curious :-) and list my order of preference. I'll add, none of the new games screamed "You must own me". Given the prices, I just don't feel any of them offer game play that makes me want to pay the big bucks and own one.

Sadly I couldn't hear any of them. The place was either too loud or the volume too low. I know the music, sound effects make a big impact, so my opinion could change if I played them under better conditions.

Dialed In
This was a massive surprise and my favourite of the new pins. The flow was incredible. The ball moved like butter. Game seemed solid and there were a ton of great features. I liked the selfie mode. Catches some very funny pictures. Of the new games, it seemed the most solid. Definitely seemed like the best build quality. I'm not a huge fan of the theme and the game play won me over.

One of the modes puts emojis all over the screen. I'm on the fence on that. I think it will work on location and might grab some kids. Not sure I like it, though. Doesn't really matter as I was focused on the playfield anyhow :-)

Aliens
If I had the cash, I'd wait and see how this one plays out after a while. We noticed there was chipping at the scoop and noticed some of the particle board cabinet was chipped as well. Plus we experienced some mechanical issues that need to be addressed. The kicker often had trouble kicking the ball out of the hole. The ball got caught on the wire frame and we needed a tech to adjust the switch so it wouldn't happen again. The drop targets often only went halfway down -- not sure if this is a feature or a problem. Ramps looked kinda rough for a production game - you could see weld marks and imperfections. Perhaps they are still being finalized? Playfield quality was a question mark. We could see the outlines of the inserts.

The game played nice, though. I liked the flow and rules seemed well thought out. I played about 2 or 3 times (line up was long at times) and didn't really figure out the rules. I'd say the game has potential, but I'd hold out and see how it goes in a year.

Houdini
It's ok. Really if you like magic, I think Theatre of Magic is just as good. There was nothing about the game play that scream "new" -- they even ripped the reverse flipper thing from TSPP. They added a bit of a twist, but it's nothing earth shattering new. We've seen the layout before. It was fun, but not $7.5K USD fun. I'd pay a $1 to play it on location, but don't see a need to have it in the game room. Now the code is in infancy stage. Perhaps it will get better. I did like some of the shots.

Aerosmith
I got the high score on this one :-), but didn't fall in love with it. I like the art and the band. Took a few flips to line up the shot to the right ramp (hit the post a bit LOL). It's steep. Once I had that figured out, I had a very long game. Felt bad for the folks waiting behind me.

The sounds would probably really help. As it was, I couldn't really hear them. I like the Jack in the Box toy and the start to multiball, but the game felt very same same. Been there and done it. It's a pretty straight forward layout.

I only played the one game and afterwards didn't want to play it again. I really think hearing the music will make a big difference. As it is, I think it's decent, but I actually like Kiss better. I've played Kiss quite a bit, though, so I'd want more time on Aerosmith to make a definite call.

Batman 66
Also ok. Nothing spectacular. They improved BDK, but it's kind of meh. Nothing exciting at all. Decent to play and I'm sure I'd enjoy it on location, but it was a disappointment to me.

Keep in mind, I only played each game once to three times. These are my initial impressions, so my opinion could change.

With the exception of Dialed In and Aliens, though, they just didn't grab me. Compare this to games like LOTR, Transformers and Ripley's. The first time I played those games at a show, I really enjoyed them and wanted to play them again and again. Only Dialed In and Aliens made me want to play more.
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Mon May 08, 2017 1:40 pm

TwilightZone wrote:Dialed In
This was a massive surprise and my favourite of the new pins. The flow was incredible. The ball moved like butter. Game seemed solid and there were a ton of great features. I liked the selfie mode. Catches some very funny pictures. Of the new games, it seemed the most solid. Definitely seemed like the best build quality. I'm not a huge fan of the theme and the game play won me over.

Exactly :mrgreen:

TwilightZone
MAACA Death Knight

Postby TwilightZone » Mon May 08, 2017 2:06 pm

Azatotht wrote:... I found the lockdown bar/flipper buttons layout weird, did not feel comfortable at all ( I have small hands). Just for that I would not own it.. it's stupid I know, but makes a huge difference.

Forgot to mention that! All three of us (4Eyes, Pinball Junkie, and myself) found the lock down bar uncomfortable. The edges aren't rounded well. It's quite square with round on top, but not sides. This makes it uncomfortable. Might not be an issue for a game or two, but more games might become an issue. They need to address this. That and the crap particle board game makes me wonder about the durability of the cab.

Also forgot to mention, Stern clear is getting worse. 4Eyes noticed defects in the clear on Aerosmith. He also said the clear was quite thin even compared to other recent Sterns. Not sure if this was a one off and maybe other games are good.

novaguy
MAACA Barbarian

Postby novaguy » Mon May 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Chris Silver wrote:

I don't really see a purpose in there being a women's division. It's not like weightlifting. Though it might actually attract women to play if they feel less intimidated by arrogant pricks.

Don't laugh but before long there will be a muslim division.

Splitskull
Admins

Postby Splitskull » Mon May 08, 2017 5:35 pm

novaguy wrote:Don't laugh but before long there will be a muslim division.

LOL

cyclone
MAACA Collaborator

Postby cyclone » Mon May 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Congrats Jason!!! ... we'll hit my cottage next month to celebrate!

HPR Pinball
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby HPR Pinball » Mon May 08, 2017 8:13 pm

Sparky wrote:Well, I let the dust settle and enjoyed family time yesterday after getting home around suppertime.

This was probably my most positive Allentown show to date, and for many reasons:

1- got to spend good times with great friends. That is priceless. Especially with the Skull Splitter and the Metro. ;)

2- Many historical mistakes were now corrected. Including this first one... thanks to Cooke, I now have a STERN FREEFALL!!! No more regretting selling my old one.

1600$US for Stern Freefall, right ???? :shock:
Inventory
Pins: http://www.pinballowners.com/hal-9ooo
Vids: http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=454505
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

DrDude
MAACA Mage

Postby DrDude » Mon May 08, 2017 8:37 pm

HPR Pinball wrote:1600$US for Stern Freefall, right ???? :shock:

That was the asking price, and the (Canadian) seller was hoping to get some $US back up North. Prices for games on the Freeplay-floor are always open to negotiation, and a Canuck selling to another Canuck will always cut you a good deal.
Grant Goodes

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Tue May 09, 2017 5:02 am

DrDude wrote:That was the asking price, and the (Canadian) seller was hoping to get some $US back up North. Prices for games on the Freeplay-floor are always open to negotiation, and a Canuck selling to another Canuck will always cut you a good deal.

Exactly :mrgreen:

Asking prices should NEVER be used to assume a title's value.

cooke
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cooke » Tue May 09, 2017 8:01 am

DrDude wrote:

That was the asking price, and the (Canadian) seller was hoping to get some $US back up North. Prices for games on the Freeplay-floor are always open to negotiation, and a Canuck selling to another Canuck will always cut you a good deal.

I was fishing hardcore on that. I was motivated to sell it though, especially considering the condition. I think Sparky was happy with the deal.

A transistor shorted on it during the show which locked on a coil and blew the fuse. Fortunately I had my parts and tools on hand and had it back up and running in no time. Nothing worse than bringing a game to a show and having it go down.

DrDude
MAACA Mage

Postby DrDude » Tue May 09, 2017 8:16 am

cooke wrote:
DrDude wrote:

I was fishing hardcore on that. I was motivated to sell it though, especially considering the condition. I think Sparky was happy with the deal.

A transistor shorted on it during the show which locked on a coil and blew the fuse. Fortunately I had my parts and tools on hand and had it back up and running in no time. Nothing worse than bringing a game to a show and having it go down.

Fish away, buddy! Can't hurt to try, especially with a (relatively) rare title. Note that the Catacomb in the fleamarket area which never even got assembled (thus probably not working) was asking $US 2200. And as for your eventual sale, I would have bought it for sure, but the truck I came down in was already full (unless we had had been able to sell the Vulcan or Dixieland, which didn't happen).

And I'm glad you were able to get the game going again: It died while I was playing it (first symptom was loss of flippers during a ball, which I thought was a tilt or something, but was clearly not!) Still, it played a LOT better than most of the 5 Meteors that were at the show (none of which had decently tuned flippers).
Grant Goodes

monkeybug
MAACA Death Knight

Postby monkeybug » Tue May 09, 2017 8:56 am

novaguy wrote:
Chris Silver wrote:

Don't laugh but before long there will be a muslim division.

First the Catholics...then the Muslims..... :roll:

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Tue May 09, 2017 12:51 pm

cooke wrote:
DrDude wrote:

More like FUCKING ECSTATIC!!! And shit breaks. No big deal. Cooke was a class act to come change the transistor. But at the end of the show, the old driver started showing it's age. Quite normal. In fact, I was surprised it held up so long. It was played A LOT. I will rebuild a solenoid driver for it and it will be as good as new. It will have a complete go-over for Pincon.

And the Sorcerer was the cherry on the sundae. 700$ in and it worked! Which is more than I can say about the one on the floor for 1500$, thet DIDN'T work. LOL

And to top it off, I grabbed a large bin of "free" parts for 10 bucks (essentially paid for a nice acrylic bin)... well, after sifting through it all, I ended up with A LOT of NEW flipper rubber rings that were merely dirty (washed them in Dawn, and presto), over 100 rubber posts, over 200 plastic posts in great shape, 12 sets of Magic Slider casters for pinball levelers, 8 levelers almost new, a dozen WMS flipper bats that just needed cleaning, good Data East drop targets, well over a dozen WMS flipper linkages in good shape, 6 good coils, a few cabinet buttons that were just dirty, 6 good bumper caps (blue and red), and a ton of plastics (most broken but some are good spares for Fish Tales, CFTBL, Theatre of Magic...), and A LOT of new light bulbs. There must be over 400$ in parts. Honestly, it looked like a dumping bin for guys upgrading to new parts on high-end machines, even though the old parts were just fine, and some new parts that got dirty and they didn't want to bother cleaning them.

Their loss, my gain.
Account deactivated

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Sparky wrote:Honestly, it looked like a dumping bin for guys upgrading to new parts on high-end machines, even though the old parts were just fine, and some new parts that got dirty and they didn't want to bother cleaning them.
Their loss, my gain.

I can see that. I plan on bringing some parts like that to PinCon to just clean up my room a bit. If you know you can't use them? Pass them to your neighbourhood Sparky! :)
Working on a small pile of stuff that Desmond can liquidate for cheap at the communal for-sale table, and he can keep it all.
BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan), DE Jurassic Park (loan)
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Centigrade 37, Fire Queen, Dimension, 2001, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: R-Type (w/ship), Strider, Astro Invader
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Tue May 09, 2017 1:16 pm

cait001 wrote:
Sparky wrote:Honestly, it looked like a dumping bin for guys upgrading to new parts on high-end machines, even though the old parts were just fine, and some new parts that got dirty and they didn't want to bother cleaning them.
Their loss, my gain.

I can see that. I plan on bringing some parts like that to PinCon to just clean up my room a bit. If you know you can't use them? Pass them to your neighbourhood Sparky! :)
Working on a small pile of stuff that Desmond can liquidate for cheap at the communal for-sale table, and he can keep it all.

...and I pass them on to whoever needs them. I check the Parts Wanted ads regularly. I have enough used parts here to make Steve Young jealous. LOL
Account deactivated

DrDude
MAACA Mage

Postby DrDude » Tue May 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Sparky wrote:And to top it off, I grabbed a large bin of "free" parts for 10 bucks (essentially paid for a nice acrylic bin)... well, after sifting through it all, I ended up with A LOT of NEW flipper rubber rings that were merely dirty (washed them in Dawn, and presto), over 100 rubber posts, over 200 plastic posts in great shape, 12 sets of Magic Slider casters for pinball levelers, 8 levelers almost new, a dozen WMS flipper bats that just needed cleaning, good Data East drop targets, well over a dozen WMS flipper linkages in good shape, 6 good coils, a few cabinet buttons that were just dirty, 6 good bumper caps (blue and red), and a ton of plastics (most broken but some are good spares for Fish Tales, CFTBL, Theatre of Magic...), and A LOT of new light bulbs. There must be over 400$ in parts. Honestly, it looked like a dumping bin for guys upgrading to new parts on high-end machines, even though the old parts were just fine, and some new parts that got dirty and they didn't want to bother cleaning them.

So that's where all the junk-parts missing from the fleamarket ended up!

My primary complaint about the show (compared to say 10 years ago) was the almost complete absence of boxes of junk-parts to sort through. Along with buying junker playfields, parts-boxes at shows was typically how I found various bits-and-bobs I needed for restorations. Sounds like you scored (again, you lucky bastard!)
Grant Goodes

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Tue May 09, 2017 1:51 pm

DrDude wrote:
Sparky wrote:And to top it off, I grabbed a large bin of "free" parts for 10 bucks (essentially paid for a nice acrylic bin)... well, after sifting through it all, I ended up with A LOT of NEW flipper rubber rings that were merely dirty (washed them in Dawn, and presto), over 100 rubber posts, over 200 plastic posts in great shape, 12 sets of Magic Slider casters for pinball levelers, 8 levelers almost new, a dozen WMS flipper bats that just needed cleaning, good Data East drop targets, well over a dozen WMS flipper linkages in good shape, 6 good coils, a few cabinet buttons that were just dirty, 6 good bumper caps (blue and red), and a ton of plastics (most broken but some are good spares for Fish Tales, CFTBL, Theatre of Magic...), and A LOT of new light bulbs. There must be over 400$ in parts. Honestly, it looked like a dumping bin for guys upgrading to new parts on high-end machines, even though the old parts were just fine, and some new parts that got dirty and they didn't want to bother cleaning them.

So that's where all the junk-parts missing from the fleamarket ended up!

My primary complaint about the show (compared to say 10 years ago) was the almost complete absence of boxes of junk-parts to sort through. Along with buying junker playfields, parts-boxes at shows was typically how I found various bits-and-bobs I needed for restorations. Sounds like you scored (again, you lucky bastard!)

Correction... WE scored. I never ask a penny for any used parts I get for free or dirt cheap.
Account deactivated

DrDude
MAACA Mage

Postby DrDude » Tue May 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Sparky wrote:Correction... WE scored. I never ask a penny for any used parts I get for free or dirt cheap.

No worries, Sparky, I know you to be generous and helpful. Was more thinking of how much fun it would have been to go through a big box of junk and look for gold. Honestly, that to me is what made the fleamarket so much fun in the past: In those days, almost every table had boxes of crap parts, paper/manuals and boards. I'm just jealous that you found the buried treasure that I sought (along with Freefall), but it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Grant Goodes

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Tue May 09, 2017 2:54 pm

DrDude wrote:
Sparky wrote:Correction... WE scored. I never ask a penny for any used parts I get for free or dirt cheap.

No worries, Sparky, I know you to be generous and helpful. Was more thinking of how much fun it would have been to go through a big box of junk and look for gold. Honestly, that to me is what made the fleamarket so much fun in the past: In those days, almost every table had boxes of crap parts, paper/manuals and boards. I'm just jealous that you found the buried treasure that I sought (along with Freefall), but it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Yeah, agreed. Not many true flea market stands. But I suspect that the rain had something to do with it, as well as the price for a table (185$US, I heard!!!).

I would love to bring some cheap parts to Pincon and do the flea market shuffle, but I can't be everywhere at once, working the flea market set-up, the tournament and the Tech Pit.
Account deactivated

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”