Ottawa Tonight

Talk about anything that you would like.
Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Re: Ottawa Tonight

Post by Fifty »

Maybe the dude playing GB was just trying to even out the ghosting on the playfield inserts?

Colin I had that exact same thing happen to me with a 'next game' coin. This guy was older, but he still walked away with it. WTF is wrong with people? The fuck are parents teaching their kids nowadays? Screw the minimum wage increase, teach your kids what the basics.

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

Honey Badger wrote:The games get the piss beat out of them at TARG on free play night. I have seen it everytime I have gone.
There's always a few aggro pinball dudes there that have watched too many online tournament videos, sadly. The general Targ population seem to treat the games with respect and consideration. It's always certain pinball heads that use it as an opportunity to get away with things that they should know better about, like throwing the machines or starting multi-player games for themselves.
If it wasn't so loud in there, I would approach those people to settle down, because every time I'm there it just seems like a few bad apples making a scene.
(ymmv)
WANTED: 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1984 Taito Zeke's Peak, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

pinhead
MAACA Wacko

Post by pinhead »

semicolin wrote:
Honey Badger wrote:The games get the piss beat out of them at TARG on free play night. I have seen it everytime I have gone.
When is pinhead's birthday? I'm going to get him a cattle prod.
I don't need toys, I just want respect for my games?

If you like to play with cattle prods, you can have fun with them Colin!
Ottawa pinball operator and game technician.
For sale video games, manuals, boards, ask what you need and I might be able to get it for you.

Ottawa pinball repair service is limited.

http://www.pinhead.ca/

MadTitan
MAACA Millennial

Post by MadTitan »

Strangely enough we already have a cattle prod at targ.

Freeplay Sundays make for long Mondays!
90% of the negative comments we get about the games are on Sunday nights. Like Geoff said, we try our best to keep them going. For example, after 12-13 hours working on games for the show at the annex, I get the standard TARG report of broken games and an oddly late deficiency report from Cait at around 2am, I stop in on my way home at about 2:45am. The games are beer soaked, and much effort is needed to remove the lockdown bars off of the cloudy glass. The playfields are hot to the touch, and look like they haven't been cleaned in months (they had been....on Friday). Handles snapped off of the Fire Escape, broken plastics jammed into outlane switch on Iron Man, left flipper toasted on Skateball, Switch matrix ground fault on Star Wars, mini playfield kickout coils dead on Doctor Who, whole myriad of SPIKE system complications..... etc. etc. 9am games are returned to duty, need cleaning before opening time wednesday. Get home. Coffee. Shower. Harass Randy for show art (Everything exceptional, cant wait to see the banners). Meet Pinhead at the junior annex. Load 2 trucks full of games and set up an impressive temporary arcade for the upcoming greekfest. Short beer break. Pinhead heads to shop more games for the show, I head back to the Annex. Fold and load newly completed rarity for Augusts Obscure Summer Series entry at targ, Load ICB and parts/supplies to complete the arcade at Greekfest tomorrow morning. Unload for the night at home. Writing this now.....

We get called lazy and are accused of not maintaining the games by people who won't drop a coin all week but will absolutely shit on us if there's a weak flipper ruining their free play experience. For the record I'm not talking about anybody on this thread or on here specifically, I don't know where I was even going with this..... I gotta go to bed

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Post by Fifty »

Wait, wait, wait... hold the phone.

There's going to be an arcade at Greekfest? Are you telling me I can have lamb skewers AND play pinball?

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Post by semicolin »

pinhead wrote:If you like to play with cattle prods, you can have fun with them Colin!
:lol: I've been told never to start a fight unless I'm willing to finish it. So I don't start many!

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Post by R.A.B. »

MadTitan wrote:Strangely enough we already have a cattle prod at targ.

Freeplay Sundays make for long Mondays!
90% of the negative comments we get about the games are on Sunday nights. Like Geoff said, we try our best to keep them going. For example, after 12-13 hours working on games for the show at the annex, I get the standard TARG report of broken games and an oddly late deficiency report from Cait at around 2am, I stop in on my way home at about 2:45am. The games are beer soaked, and much effort is needed to remove the lockdown bars off of the cloudy glass. The playfields are hot to the touch, and look like they haven't been cleaned in months (they had been....on Friday). Handles snapped off of the Fire Escape, broken plastics jammed into outlane switch on Iron Man, left flipper toasted on Skateball, Switch matrix ground fault on Star Wars, mini playfield kickout coils dead on Doctor Who, whole myriad of SPIKE system complications..... etc. etc. 9am games are returned to duty, need cleaning before opening time wednesday. Get home. Coffee. Shower. Harass Randy for show art (Everything exceptional, cant wait to see the banners). Meet Pinhead at the junior annex. Load 2 trucks full of games and set up an impressive temporary arcade for the upcoming greekfest. Short beer break. Pinhead heads to shop more games for the show, I head back to the Annex. Fold and load newly completed rarity for Augusts Obscure Summer Series entry at targ, Load ICB and parts/supplies to complete the arcade at Greekfest tomorrow morning. Unload for the night at home. Writing this now.....

We get called lazy and are accused of not maintaining the games by people who won't drop a coin all week but will absolutely shit on us if there's a weak flipper ruining their free play experience. For the record I'm not talking about anybody on this thread or on here specifically, I don't know where I was even going with this..... I gotta go to bed
What Josh wrote above is what few on this forum will ever know or even begin to understand. Thank you Josh for describing what it takes to keep things going out there on the road, very clear writing. This is not a job for the faint of heart by any means, even though many people here may think it is a dream job. Working with coin operated equipment takes a strong sense of organization, countless hours and energy, effort and more effort and lots of muscle to back up all those freakin' efforts. Not to mention keeping a sharp mind and being more than resourceful in a variety of circumstances.There are no two ways about it. It is an old profession and it has just gotten more demanding for less money than most people think.

Hats off to Josh and Geoff. You men have my respect. And much like you guys, I know this industry in my gut and I could never quite explain the complexities of it properly to people in this new era, even though I have tried countless times on this forum and elsewhere. I think that one just has to go on the road for a long time and live it in order to understand it, it is very real. In fact, it is where the rubber meets the pavement and not where the rubber meets the air, the latter often being comments from people who have not lived what we are talking about.

The link below is as close as I can get to describing how things have changed and evolved and will likely become for those who want to take on this old profession in a new age.

http://www.montrealpinball.com/blog/?view=plink&id=118

Peace out and play. And if you can, respect the efforts it takes to provide this kind of very special entertainment at House of Targ, North Star and many more places to come.

R.A.B.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. Some of us need something to do besides contemplate how important everyone has suddenly become in a world of exaggerated self-promotion upheld by the new dumb.

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

MadTitan wrote:I get the standard TARG report of broken games and an oddly late deficiency report from Cait at around 2am
I wasn't there that late, it was just in the middle of the night I remembered to press send on the email I had drafted on my phone. :)
WANTED: 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1984 Taito Zeke's Peak, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

MadTitan
MAACA Millennial

Post by MadTitan »

Fifty wrote:Wait, wait, wait... hold the phone.

There's going to be an arcade at Greekfest? Are you telling me I can have lamb skewers AND play pinball?
Thats exactly what I'm telling you!

MadTitan
MAACA Millennial

Post by MadTitan »

Great article R.A.B.

Not enough can be said about the dedication and perseverance of the old schoolers like Geoff, Tim in vegas and yourself. I'm constantly humbled in the presents of you vets, and there's nothing more motivating than realizing you don't know shit.

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

Back to the topic of these Yum Yum's abusing the machines, I never really knew where to draw the line.

On my own machines I definitely slap the buttons. I'll shake the machine a bit but not enough to move the legs or start to turn it into a bobble head.

I have seen people abuse the machines and just can't fathom why.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Panthera, Baby Pac Man
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon
WTB: Black Knight, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

DrDude
MAACA Half-ling

Post by DrDude »

Chris Silver wrote:Back to the topic of these Yum Yum's abusing the machines, I never really knew where to draw the line.

On my own machines I definitely slap the buttons. I'll shake the machine a bit but not enough to move the legs or start to turn it into a bobble head.

I have seen people abuse the machines and just can't fathom why.
There's "playing pinball" and there's "pinball as anger-management"! Pinballs were designed to be played, even played-hard, but include tilt and slam switches to detect abuse. Pick-up-and-drop on a machine should trigger a properly setup slam-tilt, as would shoving a machine hard into the wall, etc., and result in loss-of-game. That being said, overly aggressive players generally are easy to spot, and need to be warned and then banned by the management of an arcade, which takes monitoring by staff. Sounds like Targ was hopping on Sunday, and with the crowding, lineups, and noise, no doubt the staff had all they could do to simply service the customers. At that point, you're reduced to giving abusive players dirty looks or saying "Hey! Stop that!".
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Lightning, Nineball, Cheetah, Seawitch, Catacomb
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Balls-a-Poppin, Catacomb slingshot plastics
Lust-worthy: Dragonfist, Solar Fire, Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Post by Fifty »

I just don't understand how people can get so vicious with the pins. The last time I was at TARG I drained a ball and went to slap the sides of the machine but my hands landed on the glass instead and the sound was loud. I instantly turned around to see if Daisy was watching me from the bar but instead Geoff was off to one side and I ended up finding Josh leaning against the bar. I felt like I had just gotten back a math test with 20% correct on it. Shit.

I am always well mannered when it comes to pinball. I make a bad move and it's me that ends up dancing around yelling "Damnit, damnit, damnit!" looking the fool, but the pins are never on the receiving end of my mistakes. Except when Josh and Geoff are both directly behind me it seems. :? :oops:

Pinballin'
MAACA Silent Type

Post by Pinballin' »

A couple weekends ago, I went for the free play Sunday at the Targ for the first time and I can confirm that a lot of players hitting and dry humping the machines. Having been to Ottawa Pinball Arcade a few days earlier, it threw me off as I was quite surprised how different the crowd was.

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Post by semicolin »

Punk rock vs classic rock. Different generations of players enjoy different generations of machines. Targ is definitely a place to really let loose - (it's encouraged, they have the dent that gets you bent) - and TNP is a place where you'll find people that played Surf Champ when it was new. It's a different audience. Pinheads will play anywhere we can find the games we like, but different strokes for different folks. Put a dozen EMs in at Targ and they'll lose customers. It's not what people go there for.

I've seen people beat the shit out of machines at both venues. We can't lay that at the feet of only Targ's patrons. If there is a universal constant, it's assholes. You'll find them everywhere.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Post by R.A.B. »

MadTitan wrote: I'm constantly humbled in the presents of you vets, and there's nothing more motivating than realizing you don't know shit.
You are right dude, I don't know shit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I as well am humbled as I watch and follow younger operator/guys like you do what I use to do in the late 80's and early 90's, but without the tools of the day.

You Josh, are the best example thus far of what I was and aspired to be back then. Keep going man, but always keep your eye on the ball and watch your back by turning 360 degrees casually as if you lost something. If you don't you will end up like me before I saw the light. Hell, I had resorted to thanking the Gods that I came back to some sort of normal back in the mid 90's after one terribly sad morning in a cheap hotel room with Edith a crazy junkie waitress from Terrasse Soleil (a sexy waitress breakfast place) on Ste.Foy boulevard in Longueuil where I operated poker machines with her in kahootz.

My cell phone, my pager and that tough as nails 1987 Ford Ranger were all I had to do the do with and I was living it to the tits. And remember, back then, a cell phone was just a phone, - but wait it could knock out a coked out bar owner if I had to get ugly about collection reports, so it was also a good weapon. :shock: Is there an app for that now ?

Sincerely, your friend Rob.

And as John Lennon had said back in '68, - "Ah, those were the days I want to hold ya man." (but you were not there)
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. Some of us need something to do besides contemplate how important everyone has suddenly become in a world of exaggerated self-promotion upheld by the new dumb.

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Post by semicolin »

Are you writing a book? You should write a book.

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

R.A.B. wrote:
MadTitan wrote: I'm constantly humbled in the presents of you vets, and there's nothing more motivating than realizing you don't know shit.
You are right dude, I don't know shit. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh you guys all know you're shit and humble you are. :P

I would have loved to be where Rob was or Josh is. Making a career out of the hobby I love was my target as a teen.

Sitting as a kid in the 80's watching the Saturday Supercade on TV with the ICS home schooling infomercials on the tube, I dreamed of becoming a pinball tech. Unfortunately, I was exactly old enough to watch the crash and end of an era. I moved on.

One horrific burden to bare is the thought of your hobby turning into a job and your job into a burden. You guys are the jewels of the industry. One might be jaded and the other a diamond in the rough but precious gems nonetheless. Done let your heart turn to stone.

I'll tell you without hesitation I don't know shit. You can't know everything. I fix a variety of aircraft and its impossible to know it all. At best you can become an expert on certain aspects of the greater machine and rely on the other gears for advice. I bother many pinball buddies for advice all the time.

The least I can say is that I've dabbled in the "ethnology" of pinball and floated throughout its subcategories. Oddly I've held a convention, flea fairs, been an operator on the fly and played in one IFPA sanctioned tournament. I've fixed some pins and flipped a couple as well and can guarantee you - shit I know not. lol

Give yourselves a little credit guys. Your keeping the gears of this hobby together and moving.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Panthera, Baby Pac Man
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon
WTB: Black Knight, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

MadTitan
MAACA Millennial

Post by MadTitan »

R.A.B. wrote:
You are right dude, I don't know shit. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

This was meant to read "I" don't know shit when I talk to you vets.....

You cranky old timers can't even take a compliment :lol:

Chris, I can bitch about this job till I'm blue in the face but in reality I count my blessings every single day. If I were to boast about how amazing it is it would inspire others to organize shows and operate games ;) It isn't rocket surgery

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Post by cap »

MadTitan wrote:It isn't rocket surgery
nor brain science :-)
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”