Installing Pop Bumpers lights in Hurricane

Talk about anything that you would like.
Bagdad
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Installing Pop Bumpers lights in Hurricane

Post by Bagdad »

Is this something a beginner can do?

I want to buy the "soft" lamp sockets and plug them into the GI.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/24-8776-1

Similar to this link but into the GI instead of the matrix...

http://www.flippers.be/hurricane_poplamps.html
Own:Who Dunnit / Black Knight SOR premium / Baywatch / Junk Yard / Houdini / Bram Stoker's Dracula
Looking for: Black Rose
Gone: Diner / Hurricane

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Installing Pop Bumpers lights in Hurricane

Post by cap »

I'm a beginner too and this is something I would consider to do. The instructions are very detailed and easy to follow.
It would be a shame to just plug the bumpers into the GI when they tell you exactly what to do to plug them into the switch matrix for much better results.
Make sure you use the shrinking tube as isolation where they mention it in the instructions.

I assume you are willing to learn how to solder. Soldering takes practice. Luckily soldering wires is a lot easier than soldering on a board.
I found this tutorial helpful http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/soli ... g-tutorial
Watch out for solder splash. Protect the parts below on the playfield and the bottom of the cabinet.
You don't want to burn a hole in the bass speaker.

Using good equipment makes a huge difference. In particular, a bezeled tip is much better than conic.
A manual desoldering pump might be handy too.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

ben oui ... go for it ! ...

et merci pour le lien!
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

algrande
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by algrande »

Bagdad
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Bagdad »

Honnestly, I prefer in the GI (Like my Diner), I saw the result on the matrix and I think it does'nt look good...

Not sure about the Solid Wire sockets, It look easier with the Soft wire, it's like the plastic tubing method, but already done for you.

So now for the real question : How to connect with the GI ? Do I just connect the bumper wires to any of the the GI light socket on the board? Can it work on on/off inserts Or does it need to be one that is always on?

Any examples or drawing would be appreciated.
Own:Who Dunnit / Black Knight SOR premium / Baywatch / Junk Yard / Houdini / Bram Stoker's Dracula

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Bagdad wrote:Not sure about the Solid Wire sockets, It look easier with the Soft wire, it's like the plastic tubing method, but already done for you.
Normally you don't put any isolation on the pop bumper lamp wires. They are flat because they are stappled to the playfield.
You see it very clearly in the switch matrix instructions. This is not a hack, that's how it is normally done.
Last edited by cap on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Bagdad wrote:Honnestly, I prefer in the GI (Like my Diner), I saw the result on the matrix and I think it does'nt look good...
So now for the real question : How to connect with the GI ? Do I just connect the bumper wires to any of the the GI light socket on the board? Can it work on on/off inserts Or does it need to be one that is always on?
For the GI, you can connect in parallel to any of the sockets that are always on. You don't need a diode and there is no direction for the socket wires.

The inserts are part of the lamp matrix. I guess you could connect in parallel after the diode.
That would give you a pop that would flash the same way as an insert.
That's a hack compared to hooking up the pops to their rightful place in the lamp matrix like the video was showing.
The beauty of that video is to show the pop lamps are supposed to be unused but the software is handling them fine.
Anyway, you already said you don't like when the pops are flashing.

Bagdad
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Bagdad »

Donc si j'ai bien compris, ca doit ressembler à ca?

La direction des fils n'a pas d'importance et je choisie un GI toujours allumé...
piffpaff.jpg

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Bagdad wrote:Donc si j'ai bien compris, ca doit ressembler à ca?
La direction des fils n'a pas d'importance et je choisie un GI toujours allumé...
Oui mais pas tout a fait. Tu as oublie de dessiner les brins de la lampe du bumper.
Dans ta photo, on dirait que tu vas souder sur le pop bumper directement.
Comme on disait, les brins de la lampe vont etre agraphes directement a plat sur le bois.
Tes nouveaux fils aussi devront etre agraphes pres de la soudure.
Je ne souderais pas 3 nouveaux fils a la meme lampe GI.
Tu pourrais prendre 3 lampes differentes, mais c'est probablement mieux de faire un split comme dans les instructions du lamp matrix avec un oeillet visse dans le bois.
Last edited by cap on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

En fait, je ne sais pas si cette lampe fait partie du GI. C'est a toi de verifier.

Bagdad
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Bagdad »

cap wrote: Oui mais pas tout a fait. Tu as oublie de dessiner les brins de la lampe du bumper.
Dans ta photo, on dirait que tu vas souder sur le pop bumper directement.
Comme on disait, les brins de la lampe vont etre agraphes directement a plat sur le bois.
Tes nouveaux fils aussi devront etre agraphes pres de la soudure.
Je ne souderais pas 3 nouveaux fils a la meme lampe GI.
Tu pourrais prendre 3 lampes differentes, mais c'est probablement mieux de faire un split comme dans les instructions du lamp matrix avec un oeillet visse dans le bois.
N'oublions pas que je vais prendre le model de socket avec fil "mou"...Donc c'est les fils "rose" qui vont être brochés. (Dailleur, la photo que j'ai pris est un exemple de CFTBL avec un socket mou branché sur la matrix...)

Je pensais effectivement prendre 3 lampes différentes, donc 2 fils par lampes, soudés comme sur ma photo? right?

P.s: faut pas viré fou avec l'image, c'est juste un exemple, je veux juste savoir comment/ou plugger les fils...

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Bagdad wrote:N'oublions pas que je vais prendre le model de socket avec fil "mou"...Donc c'est les fils "rose" qui vont être brochés.
Tu fais ce que tu veux, mais si les manufacturier prennent la peine de creer un autre socket, c'est qu'il doit y avoir une raison.
Moi je pense que les vibrations du bumper vont venir a bout de tes fils ou ta soudure si tu prends le mauvais socket.
Aussi, moi je brocherais les fils des 2 cotes de la soudure.

ShootAgain
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by ShootAgain »

Tu es 100% sur la bonne voie Bagdad.
Ceci est la bonne façon de rajouter des sockets au pop bumber qui n’en n’ont pas.

Tu pourrais utiliser une pince alligator pour connecter au GI si tu veux pas que ce soit permanent ou simplement souder sur le socket pour une modif permanente.

Il n’y aucun problème avec le fil mou. Il est utiliser dans les Sterns et je l’ai aussi vu dans quelques Bally/ Williams. J’utilise habituelement ce socket quand je reconstruit des pop bumpers.
It's only Pinball! Carry on, BUCKO!

Bagdad
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Bagdad »

ShootAgain wrote:Tu es 100% sur la bonne voie Bagdad.
Ceci est la bonne façon de rajouter des sockets au pop bumber qui n’en n’ont pas.

Tu pourrais utiliser une pince alligator pour connecter au GI si tu veux pas que ce soit permanent ou simplement souder sur le socket pour une modif permanente.

Il n’y aucun problème avec le fil mou. Il est utiliser dans les Sterns et je l’ai aussi vu dans quelques Bally/ Williams. J’utilise habituelement ce socket quand je reconstruit des pop bumpers.
Merci, c'est ça que je voulais lire!! :lol:

J'y pensais pour les pinces alligator, c'est ça qu'il font avec les spotlights kits que je vais installer justement...Je vais philosopher la dessu...