Contemplating Canada PinCon 2018

Talk about anything that you would like.
uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Re: Contemplating Canada PinCon 2018

Postby uberhare » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:24 pm

If you build it, they will come!

For me the timing isn't great, but would love to come. There's always lots on go with both my other hobbies that time of year.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Lucky Ace, Cyclone (on loan, now with a certain screw removed)
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:20 pm

I am going to look into some dates to avoid conflicting with the IFPA world championships. I'll post some options and take a poll from you all.
Pins: Lightning, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Timeline, Silverball Mania
Vids: Double Dragon 619-1
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip
WTB: Punk!, Black Knight, Spirit, Cosmic Gunfight, Barracora, Medusa
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:15 pm

June 8-10 is already out for me.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Lucky Ace, Cyclone (on loan, now with a certain screw removed)
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 pm

Chris Silver wrote:I am going to look into some dates to avoid conflicting with the IFPA world championships. I'll post some options and take a poll from you all.

Just dive in and don't do a poll! Research other major events that might be concurrent, but if we all start listing our booked vacations there is going to be winners and losers. Leave it to chance, but with enough time for us to potentially adapt.
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot (loan), BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Paces Base Ball, 1931 Paces Whiz Ball, 1932 BLY Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: 1930s bagatelles, スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

Pinballin'

Postby Pinballin' » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:45 am

My friend and I went last year. We actually didn't know anything about it until the night before. We were at the Targ and leafing through their flyer and saw the ad for it. Next morning, we were on the road to Hawksbury. :)

shovelhed
MAACA Barbarian

Postby shovelhed » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm

I'd like to bring a couple arcade games out to this but without a Cube van to move them in, it's hard. They're all mint and putting them in and out of a normal van on their backs runs too much risk of beating them up. Do any of the Ottawa people have access to a van? I'd really like to share my arcade games with people at the show but want to avoid as much hacking and chipping as possible.

Sean

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:05 pm

shovelhed wrote:I'd like to bring a couple arcade games out to this but without a Cube van to move them in, it's hard. They're all mint and putting them in and out of a normal van on their backs runs too much risk of beating them up. Do any of the Ottawa people have access to a van? I'd really like to share my arcade games with people at the show but want to avoid as much hacking and chipping as possible.

Sean

If someone else is doing the work, I would chip in for a shipping truck rental.
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot (loan), BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Paces Base Ball, 1931 Paces Whiz Ball, 1932 BLY Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: 1930s bagatelles, スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade

Xylog
MAACA Mage

Postby Xylog » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:12 pm

I'll have space available in my truck for people needing transport to/from the show, as long as people don't mind dropping off/picking up their machines at my place beforehand/afterhand. :)
Flash Gordon,Spy Hunter (Pinball),Pinbot,Kick Off
RollerGames,Black Knight,Black Knight 2000,Atlantis (Bally)
Civic Center,Jungle Lord,Granny & The Gators, Expressway

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 am

Due to the IFPA World Championships coming to Canada in 2018 I am preparing to lock-in the dates of May 26-27.

It will be the week before the event giving people one last chance to boost their points as well as the fact it's one week after the Victoria Day long weekend.

This gives some of us a "get out of jail free card". We would have already done something with the wife and kids and now can do whatever the hell we want the week after.

Unless something else is going on I will be solidifying this date in the near future.
Pins: Lightning, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Timeline, Silverball Mania
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:34 am

If that date is confirmed, it might be a good idea to reschedule or cancel the MPL meeting on May 25.
Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

MCS
MAACA Collaborator

Postby MCS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:33 am

I know there's at least one IFPA15 Pre-Event already scheduled for that weekend: https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments ... p?t=22969#

Not sure how many others are in the works or if that will draw people away from PinCon. Maybe some of the GTA folks can weigh in?

(Bumping up points isn't going to be a concern because qualification for the World Championships is based on results as of 1/1/2018.)

Vengeance
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby Vengeance » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:20 pm

In recent years IFPA has always done a week of pre-events before the world champs, this year will be no exception:

https://www.ifpapinball.com/ifpa15/ifpa-15-pre-events/

That being said at some point overlap is going to happen if not with these events then something else. So Josh my best suggestion would be to work with whatever dates work best for you and the venue. It's too bad this wasn't closer in proximity it would have been great to make PinCon an official Pre-event tournament, it would have boosted attendance and international participation for sure.
Adam B.

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Vengeance wrote:In recent years IFPA has always done a week of pre-events before the world champs, this year will be no exception:

https://www.ifpapinball.com/ifpa15/ifpa-15-pre-events/

That being said at some point overlap is going to happen if not with these events then something else. So Josh my best suggestion would be to work with whatever dates work best for you and the venue. It's too bad this wasn't closer in proximity it would have been great to make PinCon an official Pre-event tournament, it would have boosted attendance and international participation for sure.

I figure I might as well stay with the original date in that case. Since 2014 the Hawkesbury Flea Fair has operated on the first weekend in June. I'd like to keep the stability. I would consider holding off until the second week in June if that would bring in more of the Toronto crowd but I figure you guys will be pinballed out.

The one thing I know is I can't please everybody.

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:01 pm

Chris,

We were just discussing these events last evening among a few of us.
May 25 and 26 will be a "pump and dump" pre-world tournament run by Bluff's.
May 27 and 28 will be a "match play" pre-world tournament at Eddie's in Durham.
The third event is likely downtown Toronto prior to the World's event at Adam's in Keswick.

I suspect you will get much of your crowd for Pincon from Montreal and Ottawa regardless of when you hold it other than perhaps the top competitors who want to compete in the world's pre-events, or at world's.
All the best with whatever your decision is. Unfortunately, myself, Walt and the Bluffs crew are unavailable the week prior as we have been committed to the world's events for years leading up to Adam hosting this event for Canada.

Scott

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:06 pm

The thing is I'm pretty easy-going. I'm not in it for the money and don't expect to lose this year. I want to get a bunch of us together and have a great time on the public dollar.

I'm trying to do something cool and keep it stable for the pinball community.

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:19 pm

Chris Silver wrote:The thing is I'm pretty easy-going. I'm not in it for the money and don't expect to lose this year. I want to get a bunch of us together and have a great time on the public dollar.

I think your endeavor is fantastic. It is just a shame that I have been unable to attend it yet my friend.
Having said that, most people we know are not eligible or participating when World's is actually happening at Adam's.

Top 64 in the world only. Between 4 to 6 Canadians playing at most.

ALJO
MAACA Goliath

Postby ALJO » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:37 pm

WARLOCK wrote:
Chris Silver wrote:The thing is I'm pretty easy-going. I'm not in it for the money and don't expect to lose this year. I want to get a bunch of us together and have a great time on the public dollar.

I think your endeavor is fantastic. It is just a shame that I have been unable to attend it yet my friend.
Having said that, most people we know are not eligible or participating when World's is actually happening at Adam's.

Top 64 in the world only.

Were'nt you at Pincon last year?
You posted some time after Pincon that you loved playing with Williams Rat Race, that it was ashamed that you did'nt have the money to buy the game when it was for sale.
http://www.pinballrevolution.com/thread ... race.6137/

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Aljo,
I played Rat Race at the Ottawa Show when you brought it a few years ago. Loved it.
Scott

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

ALJO
MAACA Goliath

Postby ALJO » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:23 pm

WARLOCK wrote:Aljo,
I played Rat Race at the Ottawa Show when you brought it a few years ago. Loved it.
Scott

OH! OK, got it.....

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:48 am

Just wanted to jump in and say that I too am contemplating Canada PinCon 2018 and was wondering if there were any locked-down dates I could add to my calendar?

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 pm

cait001 wrote:Just wanted to jump in and say that I too am contemplating Canada PinCon 2018 and was wondering if there were any locked-down dates I could add to my calendar?

I am still negotiating prices but as always since 2014 the Hawkesbury Flea Fair will operate the first weekend in June without deviation as so will Canada PinCon.

nostalgiaqc
MAACA Mage

Postby nostalgiaqc » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm

I vote for the first week end of june as well.
Rock on!!
Yan

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:22 pm

JUNE 2ND AND 3RD LOCKED IN

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:29 am

Aaaaargh......June 1st floor seats by the stage for Peter Frampton/Journey/ Def Leppard.
PINS- Target Alpha/ Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Sonic Butterfly/ Combat/ Flash Gordon
Saving- Space Shuttle/ Black Jack/ Space Odyssey / Beat The Clock / Strange Science/ Disco 79/ Sky Kings

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”