Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Talk about anything that you would like.
User avatar
Azatotht
Admins
Posts: 8730
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm
Location: Anjou (Montreal)
Contact:

Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Azatotht » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:01 am

Hey all, here's a question for those playing on PC these days (or with kids doing so..).

Since the fun/$ factor on pinball machines is now way too high for me, I am considering buying a gaming PC for my oldest (14) with my hobby money instead.

He wants to move from PS4 to PC since apparently, the 'real' gamers are on PC and he is now looking into competitions and such.

To make a long story short, I once been well aware of which hardware I needed to buy in order to play all the latest games at full details but I'm now lost.

For those in the know, could you please suggest which hardware I would need to play the latest games properly at 1080p ?

I don't want to overspend on a brand name, I want the best possible hardware for my money without paying twice the value. I know Alienware once was good.. but has since then been bought by Dell so I'm not sure of the price/value anymore.

Could be a specific model or an online store that does build what you want, I need the place and specs please :mrgreen:

I DON'T CARE ABOUT COLOR LEDS ON THE CASE OR TRANSPARENT SHIT WITH CHRISTMAS LIGHTS INSIDE, it is just a Pc and I won't decorate the room with it ;-)

Looks like I need an nVidia GTX 1080 for the videocard from what I have read, so do I really need the Ti version or the regular would be just fine ? Or something else ?

What kind of fps are we trying to achieve these days ? Once been 60... seems much higher today ?

I want it to be Occulus Rift compatible too.

Here's where the problem is, you have a budget of +/- 2200$ before tax.. what would you do with it ? Thanks :P (don't need monitor, just the PC)
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

User avatar
OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard
Posts: 6281
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:45 pm
Location: Brampton, Jewel of the Golden Horseshoe

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby OTTOgd » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:14 am

I'd say $2200 is too much!

... but buying the most current computer equipment is always over-priced, imho.

It has been a while since I bought a new desktop but I believe CC has fair prices: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=7_1203

User avatar
Azatotht
Admins
Posts: 8730
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm
Location: Anjou (Montreal)
Contact:

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Azatotht » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 am

OTTOgd wrote:I'd say $2200 is too much!

... but buying the most current computer equipment is always over-priced, imho.


I know but that was not the question ;-)

Did not say I wanted to spend all the money.. could be less, I'd be more than happy.

But the thing is that, as soon as you pay less, you're gonna have either only a core i5 or a 1060 videocard which is only mid-range.

Where should I spend the most and which part can be less ? the cpu ? The videocard ? Ram ? Hard-disk (flash boot drive is cool but is it really needed) ?

That's what you get with computers, if you pay less, there is a cheaper part somewhere inside and I want to identify which is important and which is not.. See what I mean ?

You can spend as much as you want on the extra latest new 100 cores CPU, if you have a crappy videocard, it is useless..
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

User avatar
mattnb
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:53 am
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby mattnb » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:17 am

Good for you for helping your son get into a new hobby! I built my first PC at his age and I learned a lot! In my opinion, you don't want to buy a pre-built machine. It's more expensive, you get stuff you don't want/need, and there's no fun in it!

I don't have part recommendations because I've been out of the loop, but I can point you to the /r/buildapc folks on Reddit. They're super friendly and have all kinds of help guides to do just what you and your son want to do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

And here's a great beginner's guide— https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/beginnersguide


User avatar
Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 11113
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: Laval

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Mrhide » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 am

i7 8700 unlocked
SD drive
Geforce GTX 1070
Z370-E gaming Asus motherboard

You should be good for a while :)
LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!
Image

User avatar
cap
MAACA Barbarian
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:19 pm
Location: Laval

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby cap » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:34 am

Is high end gaming on the PC already at 4K like the latest XBox One X?
Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

User avatar
Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 11113
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: Laval

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Mrhide » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:18 pm

LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!
Image

User avatar
Azatotht
Admins
Posts: 8730
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm
Location: Anjou (Montreal)
Contact:

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Azatotht » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:25 pm

Mrhide wrote:i7 8700 unlocked
SD drive
Geforce GTX 1070
Z370-E gaming Asus motherboard

You should be good for a while :)


How much RAM is good these days ? 16GB ?
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

User avatar
Bagdad
MAACA Collaborator
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:08 am
Location: Montréal

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Bagdad » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Alienware... :twisted:

Freaking expansive but will last forever... My laptop is still running games in good quality even if it's 6 years old...
Own: Diner / Hurricane
Looking for : Who Dunnit / Black Rose / Black Knight 2000 / Swords of Fury / JunkYard

User avatar
Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 11113
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: Laval

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Mrhide » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Azatotht wrote:
Mrhide wrote:i7 8700 unlocked
SD drive
Geforce GTX 1070
Z370-E gaming Asus motherboard

You should be good for a while :)


How much RAM is good these days ? 16GB ?


oui c'est en masse ... 32 tu pourrais rouler keke vms en plus ! :lol:
LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!
Image

User avatar
Azatotht
Admins
Posts: 8730
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm
Location: Anjou (Montreal)
Contact:

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Azatotht » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:57 pm

Mrhide wrote:
oui c'est en masse ... 32 tu pourrais rouler keke vms en plus ! :lol:


Pas bête ça LOL

J’ai checké pour ta suggestion et mettons que t’as pas mal optimisé mon budget ;) Good stuff indeed !
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

User avatar
Coitusmysterioso
MAACA Collaborator
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:06 pm
Location: Shelburne, Ontario

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Coitusmysterioso » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:20 pm

.
Last edited by Coitusmysterioso on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 11113
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: Laval

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Mrhide » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Azatotht wrote:
Mrhide wrote:
oui c'est en masse ... 32 tu pourrais rouler keke vms en plus ! :lol:


Pas bête ça LOL

J’ai checké pour ta suggestion et mettons que t’as pas mal optimisé mon budget ;) Good stuff indeed !


j'vais t'envoyer un pm pour où l'acheter ... c'est prêt de chez vous en plus !
LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!
Image

User avatar
OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard
Posts: 6281
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:45 pm
Location: Brampton, Jewel of the Golden Horseshoe

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby OTTOgd » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:33 pm

Here's the forum I joined in 2006 for when I was curious what was currently the best PC parts combo for a custom build:

https://hardforum.com/

Good luck!

User avatar
HPR Pinball
MAACA Grand Wizard
Posts: 6905
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:53 pm
Location: St-Rose, Laval

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby HPR Pinball » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Salut, j'ai seulement lu les deux premières lignes de ton messages car je manque un peu de temps, et tu le sais peut-être déjà mais un pc ''gamers'' ca vaut environ 1500-2500$ et dans 5 ans ca va valoir 250$ car la puissance des PC double a tout les deux ans.

Coté pinballs, oui l'investissement est plus élevé mais en fesant les bon choix et en cherchant bien, tu va faire plus d'argent que avec tes REER avec les reventes. Personnellement, ma Star Wars Premium que j'ai payé ''cher'' ne m'as en réalité rien couter et c'est le cas de beaucoup de personne dans ce hobby.
Inventory
Pins: http://www.pinballowners.com/hal-9ooo
Vids: http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=454505
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

User avatar
Azatotht
Admins
Posts: 8730
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm
Location: Anjou (Montreal)
Contact:

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Azatotht » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Je suis sans mots :?
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

User avatar
Azatotht
Admins
Posts: 8730
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm
Location: Anjou (Montreal)
Contact:

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Azatotht » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:46 pm

Mrhide wrote:
j'vais t'envoyer un pm pour où l'acheter ... c'est prêt de chez vous en plus !


Merci :-)
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

User avatar
Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 22168
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm
Location: Saint-Lazare, west of MTL

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Sparky » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:52 pm

HPR Pinball wrote:Salut, j'ai seulement lu les deux premières lignes de ton messages car je manque un peu de temps, et tu le sais peut-être déjà mais un pc ''gamers'' ca vaut environ 1500-2500$ et dans 5 ans ca va valoir 250$ car la puissance des PC double a tout les deux ans.

Coté pinballs, oui l'investissement est plus élevé mais en fesant les bon choix et en cherchant bien, tu va faire plus d'argent que avec tes REER avec les reventes. Personnellement, ma Star Wars Premium que j'ai payé ''cher'' ne m'as en réalité rien couter et c'est le cas de beaucoup de personne dans ce hobby.


1-Il demande des infos sur un PC pour son fils, pas des conseils d'investissement.

2- il y a des pinballs chez lui et ses enfants s'en calissent.

3- Si tu avais 8-9000$ d'argent de lousse pour l'achat initial, fantastique pour toi. Mais c'est pas le cas pour la plupart des gens.

4- Quand tu auras 3 enfants, tu comprendras. Lol

Lol. Débat clos.
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

User avatar
HPR Pinball
MAACA Grand Wizard
Posts: 6905
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:53 pm
Location: St-Rose, Laval

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby HPR Pinball » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Sparky wrote:
HPR Pinball wrote:Salut, j'ai seulement lu les deux premières lignes de ton messages car je manque un peu de temps, et tu le sais peut-être déjà mais un pc ''gamers'' ca vaut environ 1500-2500$ et dans 5 ans ca va valoir 250$ car la puissance des PC double a tout les deux ans.

Coté pinballs, oui l'investissement est plus élevé mais en fesant les bon choix et en cherchant bien, tu va faire plus d'argent que avec tes REER avec les reventes. Personnellement, ma Star Wars Premium que j'ai payé ''cher'' ne m'as en réalité rien couter et c'est le cas de beaucoup de personne dans ce hobby.


1-Il demande des infos sur un PC pour son fils, pas des conseils d'investissement.

2- il y a des pinballs chez lui et ses enfants s'en calissent.

3- Si tu avais 8-9000$ d'argent de lousse pour l'achat initial, fantastique pour toi. Mais c'est pas le cas pour la plupart des gens.

4- Quand tu auras 3 enfants, tu comprendras. Lol

Lol. Débat clos.



Amen ;)
Je vais faire ma prière ce soir et je vais bien dormir:

Seigneur Jésus Fils du Dieu vivant, viens me recouvrir de ton Précieux Sang ; viens recouvrir ces lieux et toutes les personnes présentes ici et dans mon coeur.
Au nom de Jésus-Christ, j’interdis à tout esprit maléfique d’attaquer qui que ce soit et quoi que ce soit.
Au nom de Jésus et par la puissance de son Esprit, détruis l’effet de toute parole qu’on aurait pu prononcer contre moi ; je détruis et j’annule l’effet de tout geste, de toute parole et de toute cérémonie pouvant susciter une méchanceté en moi.
Au nom de Jésus, Fils de Marie, je me relève de toute parole, de tout geste, toute cérémonie, capables de provoquer une angoisse, un trouble, une oppression, une maladie et une malédiction quelconque.
Au nom de Jésus, je coupe tous les liens négatifs qui existent entre moi et tous mes ennemis, entre moi et tous mes ancêtres.
Au nom de Jésus de Nazareth, je retourne en Bénédiction à mes ennemis tout le mal qu’on a pu me faire.

Esprit de Bénédiction, viens en mon intelligence, mon imagination, dans ma mémoire, mon cerveau et détruis toutes les causes de troubles.
Esprit de Bénédiction, viens en ma volonté et détruis toutes les causes de blocages. Viens dans mon coeur et guéris toutes blessures et fais disparaître tous les sentiments qui ne viennent pas de toi.
Esprit de Bénédiction, viens dans mon corps, dans mes organes internes, mon système nerveux, circulatoire, respiratoire, glandulaire, hormonal, musculaire et osseux.
Vierge Marie, retire de moi tout ce qui ne vient pas de ton Fils Jésus, afin qu’il me purifie totalement. Enveloppe-moi, Marie, de ton manteau maternel et protège-moi ainsi que tous ceux qui sont dans mon coeur.
Dépose de manière définitive l’esprit de Bénédiction en moi, sur ma famille et sur le monde.
Amen.
Inventory
Pins: http://www.pinballowners.com/hal-9ooo
Vids: http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=454505
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

User avatar
Pinball Junkie
MAACA Mage
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:20 am
Location: Kanata, Ottawa.

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Pinball Junkie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 am

Collection: SM(Stn),T2,HS2,CFTBL,GZ,WW,EB,8BD,MM

Pinballin'
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:38 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Pinballin' » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:21 pm

If you go to the ncix.com website and go to their gaming PC area, you can customize one of their existing gaming PC's to fit your $2200 budget. This will give you a rough ideal on what to shop for.

User avatar
Pinball Junkie
MAACA Mage
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:20 am
Location: Kanata, Ottawa.

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Pinball Junkie » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:32 am



$200 less now until January 18!! $1499.99
Collection: SM(Stn),T2,HS2,CFTBL,GZ,WW,EB,8BD,MM

User avatar
Azatotht
Admins
Posts: 8730
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm
Location: Anjou (Montreal)
Contact:

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Azatotht » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:52 am

I knew there was no shortcuts but I tried to be lazy.. I once knew it all about gaming and pcs but this was a long time ago.

Restarted reading articles and stuff, thanks for all your comments, keep them coming.

That Pc you pointed out seems perfect for 1080p which is what I am targeting. My only concern would be the 1060 over a 1070, any opinion ? Reviews are not too good either..
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

User avatar
Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord
Posts: 11113
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm
Location: Laval

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Mrhide » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:03 am

Azatotht wrote:I knew there was no shortcuts but I tried to be lazy.. I once knew it all about gaming and pcs but this was a long time ago.

Restarted reading articles and stuff, thanks for all your comments, keep them coming.

That Pc you pointed out seems perfect for 1080p which is what I am targeting. My only concern would be the 1060 over a 1070, any opinion ? Reviews are not too good either..



...et dans le temps, aurais tu acheter un PC chez Future shop?! ... non han?! ben STAY away from Best buy ! :lol:
LF: EGRET 2 or 3 + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!
Image

User avatar
Azatotht
Admins
Posts: 8730
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm
Location: Anjou (Montreal)
Contact:

Re: Gaming PC, what should I buy ?

Postby Azatotht » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:12 am

Mrhide wrote:...et dans le temps, aurais tu acheter un PC chez Future shop?! ... non han?! ben STAY away from Best buy ! :lol:


En effet.. mais pour être vraiment honnête, le PC que je remplace est un vieux Quadcore que j'avais acheté chez Futureshop y'a VRAIEMENT longtemps, tellement que je me souviens plus quand ! J'avais changé la carte vidéo seulement.. mais bon, je comprends ton point ;-)
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)



Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests