OT: Racing Wheels

Talk about anything that you would like.
tom_454
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

OT: Racing Wheels

Post by tom_454 »

Hi guys,

so I decided to buy my son and I a Logitec G920 racing wheel for the XBOX One over Christmas and right now we have it temporarily bolted to a table-bench in front of a chair. We are enjoying Forza 7! So now I am investigating a wheel-stand. I need something that doesn't take up to much room and can easily fold away (so a racing chair is out of the question. I am leaning towards the "Wheel Stand Pro". I know a few of you guys have played with racing sims over the years and I was wondering if you had any suggestions. Yes, budget is an issue - I have an approx. $300 budget (including taxes and shipping).

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Re: OT: Racing Wheels

Post by Azatotht »

I owned a Wheel stand Pro for my Logitech G29 I had.

Technically it is perfect, unfortunately in practice it was not because it was too light. The stand moves as soon as you start hitting the gaz and brakes intensively.

I was planning to build something to put it on with a plywood and some kind of wood piece bolted on it that I could put the stand and a chair on to prevent the movement. If the stand was blocked by something to prevent it to move away from you while you play it would be perfect.

Didn't do it and sold my kit before Allentown last year because I couldn't find enough time to play with it.

By the time I sold it, I was looking into more expensive stands with included seats. Do yourself a favor and check for that before spending the money on a Wheel Stand Pro or think of a way to secure it to the floor while playing.

Pictures of the setup I had in my old for sale thread: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=22665&p=194728
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

tom_454
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by tom_454 »

Thanks Az.

The lack of time is the reason that I don't want to invest too much money on more expensive options. I am sure that after six months the wheel won't get used but it at least would have a chance to get used more if it had a wheel stand that could easily move out of the way. I noticed that you had hard floors whereas I have carpet so do you think that might hold it in place a little more? I could probably figure out how to keep it from sliding on the floor. Does it feel solid (the posts)? Doesn't feel flimsy?
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

The thing was solid enough and adjustable. Didn't feel cheap and was somehow heavy but not enough to prevent the sliding.

There are rubbers under the legs to prevent it to slide but it's not enough. I have the feeling that it will slide more on carpet but did not try it.

In the end, I was using an old belt to hook it to the chair ! Wasn't the greatest option but that's all I came up with at the time.

This will be true with your chair too, it can slide back if your stand is not.. you really want to have both hooked together somehow.

It will feel ok at first but as soon as the action will get serious, they will move away from each other enough to bother you.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Here's what I was looking into to replace mine, not that exact model but that kind of concept.
HTB1qdzLRXXXXXXFXXXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 25704.html

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Did a quick search and this picture explains exactly my point.
20161018_043416.thumb.jpg.82c10336c0deb9cec4e7f5867a4fd46c.jpg