Where to find Triple Thick?

Talk about anything that you would like.
Tansit
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Where to find Triple Thick?

Post by Tansit »

Does anyone know a source to get krylon at decent prices? I’ve found a sculpture supply place in the GTA that has good prices, but shipping more than doubles the cost. I’ll pay it if I have to, but was hoping there may be a better option. I would like to seal the BG on my new Cosmic Gunfight ASAP...

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Re: Where to find Triple Thick?

Post by cait001 »

I buy mine at Michael's near Ikea. I have used the DecoArt Triple Thick as well the Krylon Triple-Thick Clear Glaze
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Rona has it, I guess any similar store in Ottawa would too.

https://www.rona.ca/fr/glacis-triple-th ... t-04605060

Artist places lire Omere Desseres: https://www.deserres.ca/en/cristal-aero ... 340g-clear
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Chris Silver »

Canadian Tire does.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Tansit
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Tansit »

Thanks! I’ve checked out the Canadian Tire and Rona’s websites and they list it as discontinued/out of stock respectively, but it looks like there may be some stock at locations a bit further from me. I’m not far from Michaels though, I’ll check there first.

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

please tell us its not for cosmic gunfight ? :shock:
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

AMX
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by AMX »

No more Krylon products at Canadian Tire and Rona!!!! Même Home Depot ont pas ça.... Michael's is the only place I found Krylon and I think RenoDepot got them too.
Pinball
Pinball Owners.com/amx1
Jukebox
Seeburg DS, Seeburg AY, Seeburg 222, RockOla 418, AMI E-80
Video
Star Wars + ESB, 1942, 1943, Striker 1945, Arkanoid, Arkanoid Revenge Of Doh, Spy Hunter, Aero Fighters
Arcade
Chicago Coin TV Baseball, Midway Haunted House, Chicago Coin Varsity, United Line Up, United Sure Fire, Bally ABC Tournament

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

I'm in Buffalo right now and it's on for $3.47 (US) a can this week at Walmart. Going to grab all they got....
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

singlezero
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by singlezero »

Guard I've found it at Michael's and at curry's another art supply stop. I've never been one for coupon clipping. But. Michael's is right near and I end up using the Michael's app that usually has a 40 - 50 percent off coupon for one item per week

Tansit
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Tansit »

Mrhide wrote:please tell us its not for cosmic gunfight ? :shock:
Yes the idea was to spray my Cosmic Gunfight, but don’t worry - after some more research I’ve decided against it. The BG is in amazing shape, but has a few small areas of bubbling (though the art is completely intact except for a tiny amount of window rub).

I’m going to leave it unmolested, I think I can keep it from progressing with careful attention and proper climate control.

Tansit
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Tansit »

In the spirit of backglass preservation, I am planning on photographing my CG glass and doing a bit of digital restoration so that I have the artwork for future use (possibly even full reproduction). I’m a pro photgrapher by trade, specializing these days in product photography and art reproduction (I shoot for Canada Council and others).

Is there an appetite in the community for this kind of service? If so perhaps I could open a new thread.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

I don't doubt your expertise, but I thought flatbed scanning was better for full reproduction. For example, I heard rumors using pictures can be the reason for a bad cabinet decal kit.
That never stopped retrorefurbs, but don't you need the license to publicly sell your backglass reproduction?
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Tansit
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Tansit »

For sure flatbed is a better solution, though with the proper equipment to minimize distortion you can get great results.

You bring up a good point about copyright, you would definitely need to licence the artwork. My intention wasn’t to start any sort of commercial enterprise or sell anything, my thought was to have the image on hand for things such as repair decals for my machine if it degrades down the line. but now that you’ve mentioned it, I see how problematic even that sort of thing can be.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Tansit wrote:For sure flatbed is a better solution, though with the proper equipment to minimize distortion you can get great results.

You bring up a good point about copyright, you would definitely need to licence the artwork. My intention wasn’t to start any sort of commercial enterprise or sell anything, my thought was to have the image on hand for things such as repair decals for my machine if it degrades down the line. but now that you’ve mentioned it, I see how problematic even that sort of thing can be.
What is problematic in making a scan in case you need a repair decal on your machine later?
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

singlezero wrote:Guard I've found it at Michael's and at curry's another art supply stop. I've never been one for coupon clipping. But. Michael's is right near and I end up using the Michael's app that usually has a 40 - 50 percent off coupon for one item per week
Thanks....bought 11 cans and even with 2 spoken for I'm set for a while I'd imagine. Unless I inherit a whole bunch of time, money, and talent....
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Tansit
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Tansit »

cap wrote:
Tansit wrote:For sure flatbed is a better solution, though with the proper equipment to minimize distortion you can get great results.

What is problematic in making a scan in case you need a repair decal on your machine later?
You could argue fair use in the case of a personal restoration, but copyright law is a huge can of worms that’s probably best not to get tangled in. My earlier (admittedly half-baked) idea about offering to photograph BGs for others would probably do just that. Not enough coffee today I guess :FP:

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

Tansit wrote:In the spirit of backglass preservation, I am planning on photographing my CG glass and doing a bit of digital restoration so that I have the artwork for future use (possibly even full reproduction). I’m a pro photgrapher by trade, specializing these days in product photography and art reproduction (I shoot for Canada Council and others).

Is there an appetite in the community for this kind of service? If so perhaps I could open a new thread.

there is. you could join these fine people : http://www.classicplayfields.com/people.html
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

Tansit
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Tansit »

Mrhide wrote:
Tansit wrote:In the spirit of backglass preservation, I am planning on photographing my CG glass and doing a bit of digital restoration so that I have the artwork for future use (possibly even full reproduction). I’m a pro photgrapher by trade, specializing these days in product photography and art reproduction (I shoot for Canada Council and others).

there is. you could join these fine people : http://www.classicplayfields.com/people.html
That’s really interesting, I’m familiar with cpr’s awesome work but I had no idea they had people from all over the place.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Looks like your wish is granted. CPR will soon accept art work from enthusiasts to print one of a kind projects.
You may even get your print for free if you give them the rights for further reproductions.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... ness-model

Tansit
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Tansit »

That is fantastic, thanks for sharing! I bet there are a lot of people jumping for joy at this news - even if the loss of traditionally screened repros might be a negative to some out there. I can see this leading to a lot of machines that have been collecting dust finally getting the restorations they deserve, I know I will definitely be looking into their submission process.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Tansit wrote:That is fantastic, thanks for sharing! I bet there are a lot of people jumping for joy at this news - even if the loss of traditionally screened repros might be a negative to some out there. I can see this leading to a lot of machines that have been collecting dust finally getting the restorations they deserve, I know I will definitely be looking into their submission process.
They claim their main playfield product line will still be sold in batches and silk screened.
It's the plastics, backglasses and out of stock playfields they will digitally print on demand in batches as small as 1.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

I am so happy about the CPR news. Finally the maker revolution is coming to the pinball mainstream.
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by uberhare »

That's awesome about CPR. Some of the hoarders won't be happy :) I see someone tried to dump a whole bunch on kijiji last week for inflated prices. I bet they heard this was coming.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Supersonic, Moon Flight, Firepower
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

the hoarders had a good run, and there will ALWAYS be demand for pro clearcoat services.
The playfield resale market isn't going to be severely effected for a few years, but it is a joy to see plastics and backglasses become even more available.