Need advice from TV technophiles... 65" TV

Talk about anything that you would like.
Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Need advice from TV technophiles... 65" TV

Postby Sparky » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted people's opinions here as I am sure that there are many TV technophiles here. I am looking to purchase a 65" TV for my gameroom. No bigger. Here is my primary use and conditions:

- standard TV watching, I have a Vidéotron connection
- I Watch Netflix, so a basic smart tv I guess
- I do Watch movies, but I don't care to bring the movie theater experience at home.
- I don't have a 4K receiver but that can be changed
- I don't care for QLED or anything ridiculously priced high-tech shit
- I don't wan't to spend more than 1500$ before taxes
- nothing Sony
- nothing cheapo like RCA or Haier.
- I do have a Costco membership, but asking for TV info there is like asking for a vegan meal at a McDonalds.
- I have an old 5.1 soundsystem already, so no super sound needed from the TV.

I have looked at a shitload of TVs but I honestly cannot tell the difference. Just today, I was at Leon's and they had an LG tv for 1300, and another for 1400. Both 65". Difference? Dunno.

I read that some LG TVs have poor "blackness" compared to a Samsung. And I visited a ratings site that says a Vizio E-Series is good:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio ... size=43%22

Opinions? Thoughts? I do value your input on this.

Thanks!!

Ian
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Re: Need advice from TV technophiles... 65" TV

Postby cap » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:26 pm

Is that old sound system actually a Home Theater Receiver with HDMI switching or we are simply talking about optical input for the sound?
Some TVs are more expensive because they have more inputs. I found you don't need more than 2 HDMI inputs with a Home Theater Receiver.
The YouTube app in my TV is total crap. It never goes to full resolution so I never use the Smart in the Smart TV. That's not a problem because I can use the PS4 or the Bell Receiver for this but I was still very disappointed.
The TV is 2 years old. I'm sure many TVs get this right by now, but it might be worth to try before you buy.
My brother in law saved $400 on a TV at Costco simply because it was last year's model. He couldn't tell the difference and there was no one to explain it. He is not very technical though.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

HPR Pinball
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby HPR Pinball » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Avec tes critères de recherches toutes les tv disponible on des ''poor blackness'', c'est le gros défauts des lcd. Certaine un peu moins pire mais ca reste dans la même ligue de noir grisatre quand tu regarde la tv dans une piece sombre. Pas de noir dans les scènes foncée, tout est grisatre et délavé.

La plus grande différences pour les lcd est le type de panneaux, avec leur qualitées et défauts. Alors choisis le meilleur compromis selon l'utilisation que tu voudrais en faire.
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ips ... ed-2948955
Inventory
Pins: http://www.pinballowners.com/hal-9ooo
Vids: http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=454505
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Don't bother paying for smart tv features. Like Cap said, the Netflix app usually suck in those anyway.

I find Bell Netflix experience to be lacking as well, just 720p and no 5.1 sound.. at least on my wireless Bell receiver.

Here's my advice for Netflix: get an Apple tv. Plays up to 4K if you subscribe to the 4K feed or else will play in 1080p just fine and you will get the 5.1 output.

Also, Netflix is using native refresh rates and fps (frames per second) for everything they have. UK content will not be the same specs as north american stuff and thus will look like ass on your tv (frame skipping etc, if you don't see it then fine for you but it's more than obvious when it happens). With Apple tv, you can turn a setting on to make it sync to the native refresh (it will auto-switch your tv to that frequency, often 24 fps for movies and different fps for other content). For that feature only, it is worth the asking price. And YES, Netflix does a lot of original content in those countries (ex. Black mirror in 25 fps).

See here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208288

Lastly, not sure why you hate Sony but both mines are Sony's and they are working great. You might be surprised to hear that only a few different manufacturers produces lcd screens and that most tvs use the same. The electronic inside is what make it look better or not. Check a few review sites, they usually have reviews for price brackets. Find yours and stick to the models they suggest. Each bracket will have a specific brand being on top and Sony could be it for 1000 and less but not at the 1500 bracket etc.. ;-)
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Bagdad
MAACA Mage

Postby Bagdad » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Dommage que tu dises pas de Sony, car sur Rtings c'est pas mal elles qui dominent le top des mid range TVs… Moi, j'ai acheter la 900E cette année et c'est très bien...
Own: Diner / Hurricane
Looking for : JunkYard / Who Dunnit / Black Knight 2000 / Black Rose

Splitskull
Admins

Postby Splitskull » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:54 pm

dunno about your experience with Sony, but my 46in Sony lcd still good after 8years.

Fifty
MAACA Warrior

Postby Fifty » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:08 pm

I have a 1080p 47" LG LCD from 2008. I paid over $2K for it back then. The same TV today is probably $600-$800. It weights a ton. Maybe they used through-hole components. I don't see any problem with the blacks.

I work as a broadcast technician. My company sells video production switch equipment to companies all over the world. My job is basically a roadie. I do 2 large tradeshows each year where I pretty much personally pack 120-160 televisions in a crate to ship. I have tried all of them. VIZIO, LG, INSIGNIA, SONY, SHARP, SAMSUNG, even PRIMEVIEW. LCD, LED, OLED. I have tried the broadcast version of all of these as well.

My advice? Buy 1080p. Make sure it has at least 2 HDMI inputs. Nothing else really matters. Televisions are basically all the same nowadays unless you are looking are broadcast quality monitors (which you don't need). The 2 things that drive price up are;

1) Thickness. The thinner the screen the more $$$.
2) The bezel. Again, the thinner the frame around the televsion the more $$$.

If you are looking at televisions at Costco, and it looks good to you, and the price is right just buy it. You'll go crazy trying to see which television has blacker blacks.

eh97ac
MAACA Mage

Postby eh97ac » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:24 pm

You aren't asking for much. Get the COSTCO SAMSUNG 65" with Netflix built in. Once it's home....are you going to compare it with something else? If you really aren't happy, COSTCO will take it back and you can buy 60 cans of beer while you are there.
My friend works for Harris, here's the big secret on 4K : the industry just upgrade everything to 1080P....no one is upgrading camera/broadcast equipment to 4K anytime soon!

Steph
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Steph » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:02 pm

My 2 cents ...

Don't bother with a "smart" TV , just a get a "normal" TV.
I don't want my TV to "boot" when I turn it on, and I certainly don't want it connected to the Internet.
Besides, any Apps on your TV today will be obsolete in 5 years.
Get a separate media device for all the crap. It's cheaper and more versatile.

Go for 4K or UHD resolution, don't settle for 1080.
Everything is going 4K or higher, and you don't want to limit yourself
to a technology that's already being phased out...

Sound/Speakers :
All the new TV's today have really crappy speakers, ..facing the back.
This is to minimize the bezel area.
I replaced my 12 year old Panasonic Plasma TV (which had 4 front-facing speakers),
and was shocked to hear how bad the new TV's sounded in the stores.
(...all of them were bad. No bass, no depth, and everything sounded "tinny" )

Everyone "assumes" you'll plug your TV into an stereo system, so the TV speakers don't matter,
but I don't want to power-up my receiver to hear the local news on Dolby 7.1 stereo.
"Most" of my TV watching doesn't require surround sound, so the TV speakers actually DO matter.

I ended-up buying a Samsung 55" UHD for $900 taxes in.

I'm happy with the purchase, but I notice a huge loss of sound quality from my old Panasonic.

Happy hunting,
Steph
2084 : Last Hope for Humanity

Pinball Junkie
MAACA Mage

Postby Pinball Junkie » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:25 am

Maybe, some what over your budget but a friend of mine just bought a Samsung UHD 75" discontinued model at Costco in Ottawa for $1,999.00. (they had 2 left plus a display model) That was $500.00 cheaper than the exact same one at best buy.

It was for his 80 year old mom with bad vision. I was thinking of replacing my old Hitachi 51" projection tv that just won't die with a 65" one day but after seeing the 75" I will go bigger. For sports it's a killer! :)
Collection: SM(Stn),T2,HS2,CFTBL,GZ,WW,EB,EBD x 2,MM
For Sale EBD

Fifty
MAACA Warrior

Postby Fifty » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:04 am

eh97ac wrote:My friend works for Harris, here's the big secret on 4K : the industry just upgrade everything to 1080P....no one is upgrading camera/broadcast equipment to 4K anytime soon!

Exactly.

Steph wrote:Go for 4K or UHD resolution, don't settle for 1080.
Everything is going 4K or higher, and you don't want to limit yourself
to a technology that's already being phased out...

The industry is not going to upgrade to 4K for at least 10 years. They don't want to spend the money. The monthly sales incentive I get tells me that. Any TV you buy now will support it down the road, but the content just isn't there yet. So you have 10 years to use any TV you purchase now before you'll ever feel the need to upgrade.

Pinballin'

Postby Pinballin' » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:15 am

I have a co-worker that seems be very happy with his Vizio 65". He wanted something very basic and this is what he researched to be the best bang for his buck.

As for any issues with display quality or poor "blackness", there are a tons of threads online that suggest calibration settings for every make of TV. Maybe they just need to Google their TV and fine tune the settings? Here is an example for a Vizio 65 TV.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio ... 7/settings

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:46 am

There is lots of (near) 4K content if you play video games, otherwise you are basically left with some netflix series and some movies.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

Steph
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Steph » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:54 am

Fifty wrote:The industry is not going to upgrade to 4K for at least 10 years. They don't want to spend the money. The monthly sales incentive I get tells me that. Any TV you buy now will support it down the road, but the content just isn't there yet. So you have 10 years to use any TV you purchase now before you'll ever feel the need to upgrade.

By "industry" I assume you mean domestic broadcasters,
so I totally agree that they are not going 4K anytime soon.
But many specialty channels are (Discovery, HBO, AMC ) and so are most gaming consoles.

Also, watching 1080 content on 4K just seems to "look" better.

Both my wife and I immediately noticed better picture depth when looking at "standard" TV show on 4K.
I can't explain it, but the picture just looks better.

I still stand by my recommendation to go with 4K now.
The price increase from 1080 is marginal, except when 1080 TVs are being sold at discounted price as end of stock.

Steph
2084 : Last Hope for Humanity

paidge
MAACA Priest

Postby paidge » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:43 pm

J’ai 2 smart tv Samsung 4K (55 et 65) achetées les 2 chez Costco et je suis entièrement satisfait. Sur Netflix il y a beaucoup de choix 4K et l’image est incroyable surtout pour les films d’animation pour les enfants. J’avais acheté la 65’’ au dernier Black Friday chez Costco pour moins de 1000$ avant taxes.

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:23 pm

My advice is stay away from LG. They seem to have problems with burning out the LEDs. I've replaced several myself, and my current TV has about 4 bulbs out right now.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Lucky Ace, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

semicolin
MAACA Barbarian

Postby semicolin » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Bought one of these last Christmas to replace a DOA Samsung. Works fantastically well. No complaints: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg ... 20675.aspx?
Sharing my space with: Stern Meteor, Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Bally Centaur II, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Thanks guys! Your input is awesome!
I will keep u posted on my choice soon.

Hoser
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Hoser » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Another vote for the Sony 900E. It kicks ass.

Do you ever game on it. Like video pinball? Pinball Arcade? Though not the fastest in the industy, the input lag when on game-mode is quite good. A majority of the TVs out there suck for input lag. Something to keep in mind.

Also, the Sony is quite versatile. One of the best out there for watching Habs games. They have the motion stuff down.

The dimming zones are also nice. Makes for a great HDR experience.

Don't be concerned with 4K. You'd have to sit super close to your TV to see any difference from 1080p. Where 4K shines is that those TVs often also have HDR. HDR with local dimming zones can be absolutely stunning on HDR content. Sunsets that feel real because they partially blind you (but only if you look at that part of the screen). Look it up. Lasers and other bright effects really pop. More impressive than 3D has ever been.

Good luck on your search. Don't throw out Sony (XBRs). Zero buyers remorse. I made a run across the boarder at sale time. Worked out much cheaper than here, even after paying duties. Best Buy Plattsburgh for the win.
It wasn't just about flashing lights and pinball machines blowing up and things like that. It was about using encores, bringing back the good songs and using techniques that I knew about from rock performance. - Pete Townshend

http://PinballMIX.com (Put Your Music in Your Machine)

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:10 am

Hoser wrote:Another vote for the Sony 900E. It kicks ass.

Do you ever game on it. Like video pinball? Pinball Arcade? Though not the fastest in the industy, the input lag when on game-mode is quite good. A majority of the TVs out there suck for input lag. Something to keep in mind.

Also, the Sony is quite versatile. One of the best out there for watching Habs games. They have the motion stuff down.

The dimming zones are also nice. Makes for a great HDR experience.

Don't be concerned with 4K. You'd have to sit super close to your TV to see any difference from 1080p. Where 4K shines is that those TVs often also have HDR. HDR with local dimming zones can be absolutely stunning on HDR content. Sunsets that feel real because they partially blind you (but only if you look at that part of the screen). Look it up. Lasers and other bright effects really pop. More impressive than 3D has ever been.

Good luck on your search. Don't throw out Sony (XBRs). Zero buyers remorse. I made a run across the boarder at sale time. Worked out much cheaper than here, even after paying duties. Best Buy Plattsburgh for the win.

My main concern with Sony is the connectivity with the internet. I have 2 friends that have Sonys and both either don't connect at all or will randomly drop the net.

Also... a 900F (900E seems discontinued) is around 2600$... way out of my budget.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:18 am

Funny thing... I have had 2 people recommend me a HiSense tv. They have had one for over 2 years and no issues whatsoever. Costco has a 65" HiSense for 850$.... damn.... price is hard to beat.

I may jump on this. Considering that I still Watch my old plasma tv and love the resolution, I don't think this TV will be a problem. I could even afford the extended warranty.

And my 4K Vidéotron box is on it's way. I managed to get one on a rental plan for 10$ a month with a full replacement with a new unit at any time, no questions asked. Almost makes it stupid to buy it for 400$ and only get a 90-day warranty.

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:21 am

Like we said, SmartTV features suck.

Get a streaming box for that, AppleTv, FireTv, Chromecast, whatever.

If you want to stream personal files from your computer, Plex is pretty good, I stream full HD stuff to my AppleTv without a itch.
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:06 am

Azatotht wrote:Like we said, SmartTV features suck.

Get a streaming box for that, AppleTv, FireTv, Chromecast, whatever.

If you want to stream personal files from your computer, Plex is pretty good, I stream full HD stuff to my AppleTv without a itch.

Problem is that most TVs that size are smart TVs...

HPR Pinball
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby HPR Pinball » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Sparky wrote:Funny thing... I have had 2 people recommend me a HiSense tv. They have had one for over 2 years and no issues whatsoever. Costco has a 65" HiSense for 850$.... damn.... price is hard to beat.

I may jump on this. Considering that I still Watch my old plasma tv and love the resolution, I don't think this TV will be a problem. I could even afford the extended warranty.

And my 4K Vidéotron box is on it's way. I managed to get one on a rental plan for 10$ a month with a full replacement with a new unit at any time, no questions asked. Almost makes it stupid to buy it for 400$ and only get a 90-day warranty.

Les marques cheap ne veulent plus rien dire coté fiabilité a long terme.
C'est juste qu'il reprennent des technologie qui date de 2-3 ans qui ne coute plus rien.
J'ai vu des panasonic flanché après 2-3 ans et j'ai encore des moniteurs d'arcade qui fonctionnent no1 après 35 ans :lol: . Dailleur y'a bien des compagnies qui ''programme'' la fin de vie de leur produit.

Dans le bas de gamme les prix sont bien plus fixé selon la perception du produit par les consommateurs.
Les meilleurs deal pendant l'années sont souvent chez Maxi et ensuite c'est au boxing day que tu va voir les meilleur prix sans l'ombre d'un doute.
Inventory
Pins: http://www.pinballowners.com/hal-9ooo
Vids: http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=454505
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

jojob
MAACA Priest

Postby jojob » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:29 pm

moi j ai une vizio 4k 57 pouces de costco,une marque qui m était inconnue,que maxime m avait parler.tres satisfait.
dungeons and dragons de bally
f-14 tomcat de williams

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”