Collector Quirks

Talk about anything that you would like.
Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Collector Quirks

Post by Chris Silver »

You might not believe it but we all fall into at least one of these catagories to some extent. Which ones do you honestly believe you are?

The Hoarder: The collector who can't seem to let a single pin go.

The Showman: The collector who only buys what are deemed to be the best name pins on the planet not necessarily because he likes them, but because he wants to impress.

The Displayer: He's the guy who sets his machines up, but nobody is allowed to play because he doesn't want to increase the game count.

The Perfectionist: The Perfectionist goes over a pin with a fine tooth comb looking for any minor flaws including a fish eye in the clearcoat hiding under the plastics or microscratches on the teflon slides.

The Purist: I met one of these guys once. He had to only buy machines with the original parts in it. All the boards and displays had to be from that game at birth.

The Originalist: They believe an incandescent game must remain incandescent. They might sway from original rubbers to superbands, but won't put repro plastics or a cpr backglass on their machine.

The Upgrader: He's basically the opposite of the Originalist. The Upgrader will load a pin full of LEDs, hit Walmart and stuff any toy that fits, powdercoat the legs, throw in mirror blades, add toppers and the list goes on.

The Black Hole: Similar to the Hoarder, The Black Hole would gobble up all the pins they can find at a reasonable price, put them in storage and you'll not see them again. To each their own, but its kind of a drag for the general community.

The "True" Collector: Any pin, any playable condition is perfectly fine. He will buy a worn out playfield without giving a rats ass because the game plays good. The cabinet can be scratched to hell and the patina might even be appealing.

The Flipper: A questionable sort depending the circumstances. The Flipper might find a $2500 pin for $500 and sell it accordingly or maybe buy a $3500 pin and relist it next the next day for $3750.

The Destroyer: These guys are the worst. They won't clean or wax the playfield. They might even store/transport a pin in an unfavorable environment. This might be out of ignorance or because they are just plain cheap.

The Parter: The Parter would buy a machine and evaluate that its worth more to sell it piece by piece.

The Artist: That's the ass hat that keeps painting cabinets white or black because its old or doesn't match the décor.

Bally Row: Nothing wrong with the Bally Row guy. He might not like a game in particular, but will buy it because its the same size and shape of all the other pins in the lineup. There's also the Gottlieb Guy and Mr. Williams.

The Themer: Only collects games that are space related, horror, sports and so on.

The Piecekeeper: The Piecekeeper just can't throw anything out. He might need that worn out sleeve or cracked flipper one day.

The MacGuyver: He can repair a machine with a paperclip and hot glue. The MacGyver might have redesigned the laws of physics as he somehow rewired a pin as well.

The Regretter: He's bought the same game 2 or even 3 times because he regrets selling it in the first place.

The Detailer: Prints labels and wraps coils as per original. ;)

The 1990s Guy: He just can't get over the fact that a DMD is not worth $600 anymore.

Captain Clueless: He lives across the street from the 1990's guy and believes his EM is worth $3700 on KIJIJI.

Mr. Indifferent: He's just happy to play whatever is in front of his credit pushing finger.

The Loaner: Lends out pins to buddies especially to hide them from his wife.

The Loner: The guy who doesn't associate with anybody and has an unknown amount of pins.

The Rotator: The guy whose lineup changes more than his underwear.

Any way you look at it, in one way or another we all fit in one or more of these demographics to some extent. Some of them have good qualities and some not so favorable. I'm just putting a name to most of the quirks. Can you think of any others?
Last edited by Chris Silver on Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Collector Quirks

Post by Guard »

Can't Stop Man - he's got no room, and very little cash left, but "OMG, LOOK WHAT JUST CAME UP ON KIJIJI ".
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

chumpchange
MAACA New Contributor

Post by chumpchange »

Chris you nailed it with this list !
Here are a couple:
The Monopoliser : Holds on to multiples of same title in hopes of creating a market shortage.
The Profiteer : This works well with the monopoliser that creates a shortage of a title then demands outrageous prices.
I think it's safe to say we all want that special pinball machine not because it always plays great or has a great title or even a "limited" run but for the feeling of being young again and remembering it from our youth.
Not sure what the next generation will have a chance but pinball was always good to me.

steamfitter
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by steamfitter »

What about
The Doctor ; the guy that looks for machines that need work , has to sell a machine to make room for his new patient
Pins: Black Hole , Lightning , Future Spa, Pink Panther
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Arcade: hang on , space invaders 412 in 1
Projects : seeburg LPC-1 , Excalibur

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

Murphelman
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Murphelman »

The Rotator: The guy whose lineup changes more than his underwear. (Might be me)
Own
Stern: , Iron Maiden, Godzilla, TMNT., Foo Fighters, Rush, Meteor
Bally/Williams:Dr. Who, Jack*Bot, Demo Man,
Data East: Nothing
Gottlieb: Strange World
Bally: 8 Ball Deluxe
Williams:
JJP: N/A
Wishlist
Baywatch, Starship Troopers, Taxi
:mrgreen:

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

I am The Owner ... of this crazy forum... :lol:

And I probably fit both The 1990s Guy and Mr. Indifferent now :FP: :mrgreen:
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

butch
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by butch »

Murphelman wrote:The Rotator: The guy whose lineup changes more than his underwear. (Might be me)
think im in your categorie.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Nicely stated thread everyone...
I am currently NOT properly definable...

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Excelsior!

YellowMustard
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by YellowMustard »

upgrader, detailer, regretter for me... funny list!!!
Pins:SpaceStation, :FP: :FP: :FP:

gone but not forgotten: EFTLW, Secret Service, Gorgar, Elektra, Medusa, CENTAUR, FIREPOWER, ANDROMEDA(2), HS II The getaway, BSD(2), THE SHADOW, SPACE SHUTTLE, SM, X-MEN (shakered), GRAND PRIX (Italian reimport), Tales From The crypt, BSD(2), Nitro Ground Shaker, Harlem Globetrotters, INDY500, THE SHADOW (2), Twilightzone, RESCUE 911, Stern Playboy, BOP, Roadshow, highspeed, DrWho, Starwars DE

Vids: Outrun2 SP twin, mini outrun upright,mini monaco gP, MAME Xbox powered
Gone: MAME in NBA cab (sold)

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

How about:

The Loaner: Lends out pins to buddies especially to hide them from his wife.
And
The Loner: The guy who doesn't associate with anybody and has an unknown amount of pins.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

I added a couple of new ones from the replies. Some of the others are funny, but can be cross defined from existing titles or just not feasible/common enough on a scale to fit a minority.

This list was a lot of fun. I figure I am:

The "True" Collector
The Flipper (I won't pass up a $2200 pin for $650)
The Piecekeeper
Mr. Indifferent
The Loaner