Canada PinCon 2019 Statement

Talk about anything that you would like.
Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Canada PinCon 2019 Statement

Postby Chris Silver » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:46 pm

I’ve been thinking of Canada PinCon 2019 a lot lately and so far I don’t see how to make it come to fruition.

In the past, Canada PinCon was designed for the collectors by the collectors to get together from near and far to enjoy each other’s company, make new friends and swap out our pinball collecting resources. There has been a lot of work carried out by individuals and companies in the past to make our great event happen and I’ve enjoyed our labour of love. It was designed to let anyone do what they chose and operate to whatever capacity they saw fit.

First, I would like to thank everyone for their help. On our first year we held the Canadian record of 104 machines in one event. The second year, we had the biggest and best Canadian flea market ever seen which some said was even better than Allentown’s (though I have never been and wouldn’t know). It was a fantastic feeling (and unsettling) to know people were flying in, driving for hours and renting hotels just to attend.

I am not a company nor am I an operator. I’ve not held Canada PinCon to profit on a financial level. I do not have the quantity of machines required to sustain a convention of this magnitude alone. There has been so much work from so few volunteers to the point I believe the “fun factor” was washed away for them. The amount of time I take off of work to prepare and dismantle the project outweighs the finances acquired and I return to work feeling like I need a vacation. Canada PinCon 2018 barely pushed 80 machines and that total included the vids. It was a wonderful time, but I don’t feel I can justify the lack of experience to the general public especially if I don’t pull out everything I own again.

Josh Mackay’s Ottawa Pinball and Gameroom Show inspired me and since its conception I’ve brought 1-2 machines every year in support and will continue to do so. The OPGS 2018 looked like it was going to smash the record with 130-140. It was going to be epic. At the very least, our association can focus harder to make Canada’s longest running show the strong international voice of the Canadian collectors.

In conclusion, unless more individuals can commit to bringing 1 pinball machine I won’t be holding Canada PinCon 2019. This isn’t a threat or a call for help it is just a realistic fact. I do not want people to feel they need to drag their entire collections out of their basements to make it work. Our region holds the largest number of collectors in Canada, but unfortunately I don’t believe we have the interest or participation level to support 2 events per year.

At the very least, I will at least continue the Hawkesbury Flea Fair in a smaller “closed from the public” venue and look forward to seeing my friends and the diehard enthusiasts. As always since 2014 it will be the first weekend in June. Let me know what you guys want to do regarding Canada PinCon and we can move forward from there.
Pins: Lightning, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Timeline, Silverball Mania
Vids: Double Dragon 619-1
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip
WTB: Punk!, Black Knight, Spirit, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball, Medusa
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

semicolin
MAACA Barbarian

Re: Canada PinCon 2019 Statement

Postby semicolin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:55 pm

Chris, you've put an incredible amount of effort into this and we're all beyond appreciative of what you've done. No matter what people encourage or discourage you from doing, make sure that the decision that you make is the right one for you.

Thanks for all that you're doing and all that you've done.
Sharing my space with: Stern Meteor, Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Bally Centaur II, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:42 pm

yeah thanks for all the hard work you did Chris, I totally understand. I look forward to a future Hawkesbury Flea Fair if you feel up to it!
Here is to hoping 2019 has less tornadoes.
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: スマートボール (Smart Ball), 1934 PAMCO Contact Master, 1936 Bally Challenger (lent), 1934 Rock-Ola World's Series, 1934 Bally Signal Jr, 1934 Bally Signal Sr (lent), 1950 Culp Bridge Ball, 1964 Daiwa Pachinko, 1972 CC Mini-Baseball (loan), 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Pace Base Ball, 1931 Pace Whiz Ball, 1932 Bally Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:20 am

Thanks guys. So far we're aiming for a larger flea fair back at the bowling alley. I'm looking forward to putting the concept together. Canada PinCon is still a possibility and I can put one together quick enough. It all boils down to a machine count and reserving a couple months before.

The Hawkesbury Flea Fair at the Olympia is fine with me. Win win scenario.
Last edited by Chris Silver on Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pins: Lightning, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Timeline, Silverball Mania
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:16 am

I'll take the blame. I personally let you down because I thought PinCon was a smashing success until the count dropped at last minute and it was too late to participate in a rescue. I felt terribly cheap.
Since then, I bought my own transport and I promise to do better if there is a next time.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:20 am

Can you explain how the flea fair would be different than PinCon?
If the flea fair is closed to the public, how do you decide who can attend?
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

Murphelman
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Murphelman » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:55 am

I have loved the last two but can see how hard it would be to logistically put it together. If it were to continue you can count on me for a contribution of machine(s) and other help needed as well.

If they are no more, thank you for the great shows!

Would love to see the continuation of the CNPO somehow.
Own
Stern: Iron Maiden, Deadpool, Star Wars, T3
Williams: Shadow, Twighlight Zone
Data East: Robocop, Jurassic Park (Babysitting)
Bally: Judge Dredd
Gottlieb: Genie, Deadly Weapon

Wishlist
Baywatch, T3, Transformers, X-Men, Future Spa, Wild Fyre, Paragon, Metallica, GnR

http://www.pinballowners.com/murphelman

:mrgreen:

nostalgiaqc
MAACA Barbarian

Postby nostalgiaqc » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Thx for your great hearted contribution to making all this possible!
We had alot of fun last year !
Count on me to be there again this year if it happens.
Cheers and happy new year !
Yan

tombiosis
MAACA Mage

Postby tombiosis » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:20 pm

I would love to see the sportsplex happen next year to make up for the bummer that was tornado 2018.
I will bring a game and help with set up etc as well if it happens!
Pins: 8BDlx, Stern Elvis, Frontier, Big Buck Hunter, Firepower, Fish Tales.
Gone but not forgotten: 6M$M, Sorcerer, WPT, Centaur II.

WTB: Fathom, TSPP, BSD, GOT.

Quit talking and start chalking!

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:27 pm

My son and I enjoyed Pincon last year. However I underestimated the workload in packing up, hauling, unloading, setup, tear down, hauling and final setup of 5 machines back home. I'd be happy to come again, but I'll probably only bring 1-2 machines.

Thanks Chris for your efforts.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:54 am

I will add my angle to this. I find that too much emphasis is put on "records". I really didn't give a shit about how many games were there. I considered it a massive success. Everyone that attended was smiling. I only had one "off" point that come to mind. One was that I found that the tournament area was WAY too big for being up front, and left people walking in the impression that there was not much there, and they were told waking in "oh no, sorry, you can't play these games. I much rather the "Hawkesbury" format where the tournament area was BEHIND the main game floor. But this is such a minor point and is merely my opinion.

This said, I really didn't care about the amount of machines, nor about the amount of games 6 collectors brought alone (60% of the games there). I get it. Games are hard to move out of basements, and games Worth 800$ 5 years ago are now 3000$+... so collectors are skittish about moving them. I myself spent money just to get games out of my basement quicker and easier, JUST with Pincon in mind.

So, on this, comparing Pincon and OPGS is quite unfair to be honest. Josh and Geoff are operators and own a multitude of machines, so, of course there will be more machines. Also, geographically, it is easier for an Ottawa collector to bring a machine there. Makes sense. I get that two 2hr round trips may be a bit of a pain for the average collector from either Ottawa or Montreal. BUT... I also know that there were A LOT of "roadblocks" put in front of Chris at the last minute that made it complicated to say the least. So with that said, considering how it went, I do consider it a major success.

And regardless what happens, whether it is at a bowling alley and I bring one machine, or at an arena and I rent a truck to bring 15, count me in.

And I will bring beer.
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:47 am

Sparky wrote:I will add my angle to this. I find that too much emphasis is put on "records". I really didn't give a shit about how many games were there. I considered it a massive success. Everyone that attended was smiling.

I second that. I had a blast at last PinCon. I bought some parts. I bought a machine. Played pinball. It was great.

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 am

I bought a machine too, didn't tell my wife (or try to hide it). As soon as I was done unloading she asked which was the one I bought...lol Apparently she looked on the forum to see if anyone had posted pictures before I got home, found the list of games and only counted 4 when I left! She knew before I got home.

If I lived closer I would haul more and even give Chris a hand with setup. But the 8 hour drive kills it for me.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Ricardo

Postby Ricardo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:41 pm

All I know is this - and on a selfish note... PINCON at the arena In Hawkesbury last summer was maybe my greatest day of the year. I found out about it the day before, and I went by myself from Montreal. I would literally pay +50$ next time for the treat that was playing all those amazing games, and being in that environment. I know it's not about money for you guys that worked so hard, and brought out all the gear. I know lots of my friends will be coming back next year if you guys hold it in 2019.

So again, from one lone soul that loves Pinball, I thank all those that took time out and made it happen - totally grateful to you all. I hope you will find the desire again to make it happen, it really was the greatest day! :)
Ricardo

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:39 pm

Ricardo wrote:PINCON at the arena In Hawkesbury last summer was maybe my greatest day of the year. I found out about it the day before, and I went by myself from Montreal. I would literally pay +50$ next time for the treat that was playing all those amazing games, and being in that environment.

And that's really it for me. the environment created is so damn special. I spent all of my time at the pin history booth introducing kids of all ages to the oldest coinop games and loved every moment of it. If you could bottle the joy and satisfaction of those walking around, you would make millions.

Sparky wrote:games Worth 800$ 5 years ago are now 3000$+... so collectors are skittish about moving them.

That is something that kind of just slowly snuck up on me, I barely even realized that factor. Like think of the market value of the first OPGS vs the last one.
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: スマートボール (Smart Ball), 1934 PAMCO Contact Master, 1936 Bally Challenger (lent), 1934 Rock-Ola World's Series, 1934 Bally Signal Jr, 1934 Bally Signal Sr (lent), 1950 Culp Bridge Ball, 1964 Daiwa Pachinko, 1972 CC Mini-Baseball (loan), 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Pace Base Ball, 1931 Pace Whiz Ball, 1932 Bally Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround

Woody
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Woody » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:56 am

I'm sorry to read these lines but i understand perfecly why. Whatever happens with the Pincon in 2019, i will gladly volunteer for setup and dismantle ad i did before and of course, i will bring a machine with me. There is a special mood at the Pincon and Chris, you can be proud of you because without you the Pincon would have never been born. i will stay tuned for following details and wishing the best for Pincon 2019

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:13 am

Woody wrote:I'm sorry to read these lines but i understand perfecly why. Whatever happens with the Pincon in 2019, i will gladly volunteer for setup and dismantle ad i did before and of course, i will bring a machine with me. There is a special mood at the Pincon and Chris, you can be proud of you because without you the Pincon would have never been born. i will stay tuned for following details and wishing the best for Pincon 2019

Thanks Woody but it's all good. You can't milk a dead horse. Simply, unless something odd happens and we can gain a minimum of 80 machines we will revert back to the early days of the flea fair at the Olympia bowl. It will be a fantastic time in a more intimate setting.

cdnpinballer
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cdnpinballer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:44 pm

Chris you are a legend and pinball hero in my books.

Might as well reserve my room at Stephanie's Inn because you know where I will be the first weekend of June. Pinball show or not I know the weekend will mean great times with friends playing pinball and of course the annual trip to Beau's Brewery for some free samples and a BBQ.

Dave W.
MAACA Mage

Postby Dave W. » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Whatever you decide to do, you can count me in for a game or two. There is something nice about the idea of just bringing a single game and having a smaller event... even though this will exclude P1AG bringing their full lineup of new games and people offering up a huge NOS and used parts area.

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:14 pm

What about we rent a continuous row of rooms at Stephanie's then set up a pinball machine or two in each? :)

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:35 pm

cait001 wrote:What about we rent a continuous row of rooms at Stephanie's then set up a pinball machine or two in each? :)

Lol. I used to think about doing that when I worked and lived in hotels. I used to bring a machine or two on work tours. Before the flea fair I thought of us meeting Toronto in the middle in Kingston and renting rooms to do just that. I figured I was the only crazy person with that kind of thinking. ;)

If North Star brought their trailer that would possibly assist in saving the concept of PinCon. We could park that puppy smack dab in the middle of the arcade.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”