Super-bands and Feelings

Talk about anything that you would like.
Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Super-bands and Feelings

Postby Chris Silver » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:41 am

Now that superbands have been around for a few years what are your feelings towards them?

Personally, I love them on my flippers of any pin from any era. I will even stray from basic red to fit a SS that would appreciate the change in colour. I also like the mini post 27/64 inch OD white if strategically located (above the top lanes - not in the outlanes). The mini post superbands are a necessity for games like Embryon with the centre playfield captive ball. Normal rubbers keep degrading and eventually the captive ball falls into play. I however am not a fan (yet) of replacing all of the standard rubber rings on a pin with the superbands. Maybe this concept would look cool on a new Stern or a custom pin, but for me it seems out of place on older machines.

I find the superband flipper rubbers grip the ball better and give a better reaction when grazing the tip of the flipper. Judging by the statement below I figure I'm incorrect.

This statement below I did a copy/paste from Marco Specialties which inspired me to write this little tid bit.

Direct quote from Marco website:
Super-Bands™ are modern polyurethane rings for pinball machines that play better and last longer than traditional pinball rubber. Tested by professional pinball players and commercial operators, Super-Bands™ are proven to reduce maintenance and increase playability in all pinball machines. Super-Bands™ are carefully engineered to maintain the same rebound, or bounce, of traditional soft 45-durometer rubber that pinball designers and professional players prefer.
Super-Bands™ have many advantages over traditional rubber O rings:

More Durable: Advanced customized polyurethane compound is more resistant to abrasion, ozone, and ultraviolet light than traditional rubber.
Better Control: Super-Bands™ have equal to or better tactile response than standard rubber and allow for great ball control by any skill level player
Vibrant Colors: High-gloss surface with deep translucent colors look great on any game.
Lower Maintenance: Super-Bands™ are less porous and wipe clean with a cloth. They don’t absorb dirt like traditional rubber.

How do you feel about superbands?
Pins: Lightning, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Timeline, Silverball Mania
Vids: Double Dragon 619-1
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip
WTB: Punk!, Black Knight, Spirit, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball, Medusa
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Murphelman
MAACA Mage

Re: Super-bands and Feelings

Postby Murphelman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:15 am

I love them too. I think they are much better than the older rubber. I even have them on most of my slingshots and posts as well.

They are so much easier to clean and last longer. You get better control of the ball and all the different colors are great too if you want to match them to the games colour.

Slingshots and posts rubbers behave the same so there is no game play difference there.

I did do my Genie entirely in purple and it looks amazing.

Definately going to continue using those. Twilight Zone is next. Just figuring out whay colour to use.
Own
Stern: Iron Maiden, Deadpool, Star Wars, T3
Williams: Shadow (on loan), Twighlight Zone
Data East: Robocop,
Bally: Nothing at the moment
Gottlieb: Genie, Deadly Weapon

Wishlist
Baywatch, Transformers, X-Men, Stern Star Trek, Future Spa, Paragon, Metallica, GnR, Walking Dead, GoT

http://www.pinballowners.com/murphelman

:mrgreen:

Bagdad
MAACA Mage

Postby Bagdad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:37 am

For my next game I've ordered superbands for flippers, post sleeves and mini post. For the rings, I've ordered Titan silicone rings. (first time I'm trying thoses)

In my last game I've got superbands for flippers and posts and I think they look really good.
Own: Diner / Hurricane / Who Dunnit
Looking for : JunkYard / Black Knight 2000 / Black Rose

semicolin
MAACA Barbarian

Postby semicolin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 am

Are there differences between different band sources? Marco vs Titan, etc? Which are polyurethane, silicone, etc?

I like them too because they look nicer and they're easier to maintain, but they do have an effect on gameplay: I have had new ones from Marco that are so grippy that a ball rolling down the playfield won't dead-flip... it'll grab the new flipper rubber and pull itself right over the stationary flipper. Also, shots that were previously easy with an regular rubber, like backhanding a held ball back up the inlane, are next to impossible for me now.
Sharing my space with: Stern Meteor, Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Bally Centaur II, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames

Murphelman
MAACA Mage

Postby Murphelman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:45 pm

semicolin wrote:Are there differences between different band sources? Marco vs Titan, etc? Which are polyurethane, silicone, etc?.

I don't know about the rest of the rubbers (Slings, posts, etc.) but the Titan flipper rubbers feel exactly the same as the old red, white, or yellow rubbers from the older classic games. They are very bouncy and feel exactly the same to me.

Superbands are harder, have less bounce, and give you more control.
Last edited by Murphelman on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own
Stern: Iron Maiden, Deadpool, Star Wars, T3
Williams: Shadow (on loan), Twighlight Zone
Data East: Robocop,
Bally: Nothing at the moment
Gottlieb: Genie, Deadly Weapon

Wishlist
Baywatch, Transformers, X-Men, Stern Star Trek, Future Spa, Paragon, Metallica, GnR, Walking Dead, GoT

http://www.pinballowners.com/murphelman

:mrgreen:

nostalgiaqc
MAACA Barbarian

Postby nostalgiaqc » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:27 pm

I love em too , you have to get used to them tho!
I have them on all my flippers.
Im not sure what type they are,I got them at the Patstore.
They Give it a little extra kick,for steep ramps !
Thx for sharing Chris!
Yan

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:21 pm

I don 't like them. Maybe I'm just old and crusty and have been playing the same machines at home for too long!
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Maken

Postby Maken » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:26 pm

They are garbage. Even worse than titan/perfect plays.

Polyurethane does not have as much bounce as rubber. Bounce passing becomes more difficult. They also grip better than regular rubber, so catching becomes easier. Creates bad habits if you are a competitive player.

Fifty
MAACA Warrior

Postby Fifty » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:21 pm

I like them. Colours are a plus. Old rubbers look and feel old. They do play differently on the flippers but only a purist is ever going to notice the difference.

bjm-maxx
MAACA Collaborator

Postby bjm-maxx » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:37 pm

I have started using Titan rings. Although I prefer the feeling of super bands and Titan over the gum rubber style nothing bounces like the old ones.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:53 am

As far as super bands are concerned they simply last longer than regular rubber and are thus a little more expensive. We use them at The North Star because of the amount of play they can stand without significantly wearing out or plain out busting. Perosnally I don't mind how they react to play, not enough of a difference to make any useful noise about, and anyway after a couple of games you simply adjust.

Pinball rubber rings have changed quite a bit over time as far as quality is concened. The ones sold by Pinball Life, Marco and PBR's, differ slightly and there is no way you will ever get the original rubbers ever again when it comes to machines older than the ones made currently, or in other words, you can not have the same bounce as when you were younger in the early 90's and before.

Now that I am done with Super bands, here are my real Feelings - :lol:

I picked up faith, hope, charity, all three clinging together.
"Without us you will surely die." they said.
"With you I'm going nuts, goodbye." I answered.

Then beauty, ... ah beauty.
As I led her to the window I told her,
"You I loved best in life...but you are a killer, beauty kills."
Not really meaning to drop her I immediately ran downstairs just in time to catch her.
'You saved me !", she cried.
I put her down and told her - "Move on"

Went back up those six flights to get money, but there was no money to throw out.

The only thing left in the room was death hiding beneath the kitchen sink.
"I am not real !" it cried. " I am just a rumour spread by life."
Laughing I threw it out, kitchen sink and all and suddenly realized that humour was all that was left,
and what could I do with humour ? - out the window with the window.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:10 am

That's deep. I had to read it twice to grasp it all. It almost sounds like Oscar Wilde.
Pins: Lightning, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Timeline, Silverball Mania
Vids: Double Dragon 619-1
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip
WTB: Punk!, Black Knight, Spirit, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball, Medusa
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:19 am

Above poem by :
Gregory Corso (one of the original beat poets from the mid 20th century)

Just lost another friend two days ago as you know Chris, so I especially like the part about death being a rumour started by life.

Rob
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

Dave W.
MAACA Mage

Postby Dave W. » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Maken wrote:They also grip better than regular rubber, so catching becomes easier. Creates bad habits if you are a competitive player.

Not that I compete, but totally agree. Can't catch a ball for shit most of the time, but seem to do it pretty often on my games with super bands

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”