Welcome to MAACA! Introduce yourself!

Talk about anything that you would like.
Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Welcome to MAACA! Introduce yourself!

Postby Sparky » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:35 am

Well, I think it has been a long time since many have introduced themselves, and there was an old thread on this, so here goes a reboot! LOL

Introduce yourselves! Who are you... where are you from... how badly are you infected with the hobby disease and since when. LOL

Welcome to MAACA, and possibly the hobby!!
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

redketchup
MAACA Death Knight

Re: Welcome to MAACA! Introduce yourself!

Postby redketchup » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:15 am

Hi

I'm Gino aka Redketchup... I have a problem
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

Slacker
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Slacker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 am

Sparky Umm maybe you should have introduced yourself as well.
Not everyone has had the pleasure I'm sure, Had beers and burgers in A-town in the parking lot or been here long enough to know why you are the Darl Lord.
As for me I'm the Guy in Hamilton that's not the con. Artist, Has too many Hobbies like most here, knows many but not by name just from shows and events And has been Quoted saying
"If it has Tits, Tires or you have to Winch it up the stairs it going to cause you problem and cost you money! "
Cheers and welcome all. My Sig enplanes the rest.
Cheers
Slacker
Playing.... SST, Buccaneer, Bally PB, Data East PB, Stern PB, TFTC, ACDC Pro, Hook, EATPM
Gone. Magnotron, Bally Ticker Tape Bingo, Haunted House, Totem..... My Money and sanity

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:43 am

We all have a problem.... lack of space and money. LOL

Hello, I am Ian Fitzpatrick, and it is all my fault. LOL I am one of the four founding idiots ... uh... fathers of MAACA. Married with 3 kids. I have been collecting for almost 20 years (sheesh). I am a mechanical engineer by trade and work for a heavy machinery manufacturer, Wacker Neuson, and was at Caterpillar for over 20 years before that. So yeah... I am more mechanically inclined than computer inclined. LOL

I have been restoring games for years now... it is what I love doing, even more than playing pinball. LOL

Oh, and I have retired from pinball about 58 times. So if something happens and I decide to leave, be aware that I am full of shit... I am just too stupid to realize it. LOL

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:43 am

Slacker wrote:Sparky Umm maybe you should have introduced yourself as well.
Not everyone has had the pleasure I'm sure, Had beers and burgers in A-town in the parking lot or been here long enough to know why you are the Darl Lord.
As for me I'm the Guy in Hamilton that's not the con. Artist, Has too many Hobbies like most here, knows many but not by name just from shows and events And has been Quoted saying
"If it has Tits, Tires or you have to Winch it up the stairs it going to cause you problem and cost you money! "
Cheers and welcome all. My Sig enplanes the rest.
Cheers
Slacker

I talk too much already. I just didn't want to be first. LOL

DrDude
MAACA Mage

Postby DrDude » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:56 am

I'm Grant AKA Dr. Dude, and I've been in the Pinball hobby since I moved to Ottawa from Denmark in 2000, starting with my first purchase, a totally basket-case barn-stored (literally cow manure-covered) Meteor. I'm a Classic Stern nut, and specifically a huge fan of Steve Kirk, the designer of Meteor and Nineball. As an Electrical Engineer, I'm quite handy at board-repair, and love helping to diagnose Pinball Problems, though my expertise is largely in the early 80's Bally/Stern electronics.

Obviously, I have a problem, which is that my basement is too small. No sir, it is definitely _not_ that I have too many unrestored games, nor that I have a Wife who you really don't want to get onto the topic of unrestored games, and certainly NEVER want to figure out exactly how many games I actually own..

Attached is my cheat-sheet of Classic Bally/Stern electronic games.
pinball.pdf
(58.74 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Nineball, Seawitch, Lightning, Cheetah
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Catacomb, Solar Fire, Balls-a-Poppin Seawitch backglass
Lust-worthy: Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:05 am

Just to recapitulate for those who doesn't know me... :mrgreen:

I was MAACA first official member in 2004. I met with JD3, Splitskull and Sparky (back when he was known as the Moonlit Knight !!) because I had bought a machine and didn't know that I could get it inside my basement :lol:

Here's what these cool guys looked like 15 years ago ! Drum rolls :band http://archive.maaca.org/s107351202.onlinehome.us/cgi-bin/Blah/Blahd2be.html?m-1094179184/

I became MAACA webmaster around 2009 when I did move the site to another host after getting tired of the legendary error 500. Changed the script to phpBB at that time as well, I think we are now running the third iteration of the site.

I became the MAACA owner somewhere around 2013 (I forgot the exact date) after Sparky decided that he needed a break and I am still owning and running it (technically speaking, of course, since he is a way better ambassador than me).

Machines: had way over 200 of them, time has passed and I don't own any anymore other than my grail, Fathom. Just some games loaned by a friend are still in the basement today.

That's it, passing the mic now ...
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Lowrent
MAACA Barbarian

Postby Lowrent » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:07 am

I'm Laurent, usually pronounced "Lowrent" by anglophones.

I'm probably the sanest member here, regarding pinball hoarding at least.
For years, I've been satisfied with my modest selection, spanning 3 decades : Centigrade 37 (1977) -> High Speed (1986) -> Medieval Madness (1997) Remake.
No craving for expansion or change.

Had a LOT of fun restoring the HS but have no desire for another playfield swap anytime soon.

ToMMy

Postby ToMMy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 am

Hi,
I'm Brent, have been around this board since shortly after the four founding fathers created this gem.

Been involved in pinball and electronics since the late 70's.
In & out of the pinball hobby several times (not nearly as many times as Sparky whom I'm certain holds the world record for that), created a few custom machines which really burnt me out.
But, I'm recently back in again on an electronics bench-repair basis only... Plan on retiring soon from my full time job after 35+ years so I really needed to find a hobby.
I fix and create all things electronic, it's been in my blood all my life. Occasionally write mpu software for various freelance projects and code FPGA vhdl as well.

Great bunch of guys here although I have only met a few of them years ago!

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm Chris. I have some pinball machines. I like pinball. Time Warp sucks.
Pins: Lightning, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Timeline, Silverball Mania
Vids: Double Dragon 619-1
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip
WTB: Punk!, Black Knight, Spirit, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball, Medusa
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Bruce....I only started a little more then 3 years ago. I always said one day I'd have a pinball machine, as between that and roller skating, that was my childhood.
Never dreamed that the collection would grew this fast....or at all. Presently at 20 working and 6 projects at various stages. Still haven't gone for that high end expensive game yet.....maybe at Allentown this year.
PINS- Target Alpha/ Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Space Shuttle/Strange Science/Far Out/ Genesis/Bally Circus / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Pinoffski

Postby Pinoffski » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm Dave,
Have just joined this forum so I am a Noob here....LOL

I live in Wollongong , Australia , it is 45mins south of Sydney
Fitter and Turner by trade so i am more mechanically minded than electrical ....

Purchased my first pinball in 1984 i was 17 at the time which unfortunately i sold
Played pinball at pinball arcades into the 90ies...

Got back into pinball in 2011 currently own 12 and 4 are projects + 1 parts machine as i sold the backglass to a friend + 2 more are on hold and coming soon... LOL
Wife and I play in a league once a month that is hosted at players homes.

I am lucky as the wife likes pinball more than me ...LOL

Cheers
Dave

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Pinoffski wrote:I am lucky as the wife likes pinball more than me ...LOL

A rare prototype. Handle with care.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

eightball
MAACA Collaborator

Postby eightball » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:14 pm

I am Steve. I’ve played pinball my whole life practically, but only started “collecting” (if you can call what I do collecting lol) three years ago when my wife spearheaded an effort to get me a pinball machine for my 50th bday. I am up to 3 now with pre-approval for more! Hit me up if you are looking to sell a machine, one with ramps and multi all cuz my modest collection is currently lacking both.

A couple of points...not only does my wife support my hobby, but she participates fully! Yes, I know how freaking lucky I am.

The other thing I want to say is that we have made many new friends through pinball and for me this has been the most positive aspected of the hobby. Three years ago I would have told you I was the best pinball player I knew. Now I know literally dozens of better players than me! Heck, some days I’m not even the best player in my own household!

Mrhide
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Mrhide » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:42 pm

Je suis Mrhide.

J'ai aidé 2 des 4 idiots fondateurs au début de leur maladie :) J'ai vendu sa premiere pin à Sparky: Flash Gordon et j'ai aidé JD 3 pour une de ses premiere shop jobs. Il voulait partir maaca mais je suis resté dans l'ombre ... je pense je suis le 5 ieme membre après eux... J'ai aider un 3ieme idiot a descendre une pin dans sa cave et son escalier de la mort une fois ou deux !

Enfant j'ai jamais eu de console ....j'ai donc grandi dans les arcades. j'ai tout essayer :)

J'aime bien donner mon opinion sur divers sujets. Ceci me vaut plusieurs PM : des bons et des mauvais :D les anglais m'adorent !
LF: EGRET 2 *FOUND!* + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi, I'm Kev. And I like the pin ball games!

2014 - Re: The "EPIC" Tales of Pinball!: viewtopic.php?p=139604#p139604

2012 - Re: WHAT WAS YOUR RELATIONSHIP TO COIN OP SAY, - 10 YEARS AGO: viewtopic.php?p=94805#p94805

2011 - Re: How many time are you in the hobby ?: viewtopic.php?p=57133#p57133

HPR Pinball
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby HPR Pinball » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Au début il n'y avait rien, juste des pinballs mécanique, ma vie était un néan jusqu'a environ l'âge de 10 ans.
La lumière apparue au bout du tunnel car une vision m'est apparue, les premières pinballs électronique avec des display numérique, je jouais a Star Trek et SMDM, j'était super impressionné par ces pinballs moderne. Ensuite viennent les vidz, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Missile Command, Galaxian, Astro Fighter etc ... ca y est ma vie venait de prendre tout son sens :-)

Xenon, Space Invaders, Flash Gordon, EBD, Centaur, Fathom, Firepower, Black Knight, autant de beauté venais illuminer mes journée mois après mois. Robotron, Defender, Millipede, Stargate, Dragon's Lair, Joust, Ms Pac-Man, Omega Race, Moon Patrol, Time Pilot et etc ..... des tonnes de vidz apparaissaient presque semaine après semaines, c'est une orgie de nouveautée. Ca y est, je regardais les arcades et je voulait passé ma vie dans ses murs :-)

Après 1983 les arcades disparaissent peu a peu mais je vais encore visité régulièrement les dernieres arcades survivantes jusqu'en 1995 environ. Ensuites viennent les jours sombres ou seul ma mémoire et mes rêves continuent d'alimenté cette passion disparue de la surface du globe.

L'an 2000 j'ai accès a internet. Après 2-3 mois, j'ai une drôle d'idée de voir s'il n'y aurait pas de l'informations sur les jeux video disparus des années 80 (et tant détesté de la société) c'est alors que je découvre qque chose de nouveau, Ebay !

Avec étonnement je vois qu'on peut acheter des video d'arcade et des pinballs, mon coeur s'est remis a battre, la lumière s'est rallumé a l'intérieur de moi.

Premier achat des usa, Robotron 1000$US avec un taux de change a 60%
Deuxième achat 1 semaine avant les attentats des tours jumelles, Tempest et a ce moment la game n'était pas arrivé et j'ai eu bien peur qu'elle reste coincé qque part. Premières pinballs, Firepower, Xenon !
Toutes mes premières games sont venu des usa et ensuite est venu maaca et j'ai pu commencé a faire des achats local mais j'ai constaté que le Quebec est devenu le desert des jeux video classique alors mes achats vidz ont quand même continuer aux usa. Même la plupart de mes pinballs proviennent de l'éxtérieur du Quebec a cause de la rareté des titres que je désiraient.

C'est un petit résumé de mon histoire d'arcade qui a commencé en 1977 et se termineras a mon dernier souffle très certainement.

ps: pour mes détracteurs qui espèrent voir des histoires humaines, des noms de personnes et expériences interpersonnelles, j'en met presque pas en public et c'est exprès. Regardez-vous dans un miroir et posez-vous vos propres questions et critiques a vous-mêmes, votre vie et la société s'en porteras beaucoup mieux.
Inventory
Pins: http://www.pinballowners.com/hal-9ooo
Vids: http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=454505
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 pm

Today, I am looking at this forum and this hobby with a new perspective.
I am a "brand new" and "wet under the ears" participant here me thinks.

I think this is a very good way for me to look at this hobby.
I have some new ways to relate to some very old stories.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:42 am

Mrhide wrote:...J'ai vendu sa premiere pin à Sparky: Flash Gordon ...!

Second machine. Not the first. Lol

My first was an Ebay purchase feom Helge Dirschoweit. A Mr.andMrs.Pacman.

gmaranda
MAACA Warrior

Postby gmaranda » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:28 pm

HI!

I am Gilles. I was very active for a few years and then I became a lurker......just watching what is going on. I am not as involved with pinballs/arcade games but I like to keep in touch.

I am a fixer so I get off finding a problem and correcting it. I compensate for not being good by being persistent......once it took me a year to find one problem but what a thrill!!!

I have a 1000 different projects of all kinds and none close to being finished. I guess I find satisfaction in the journey!!!

Yes, pinball is a disease but you can control it (not)

semicolin
MAACA Barbarian

Postby semicolin » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:27 am

Hi! I'm Colin! I got into the hobby because I had room in my basement and Cait001 had too many machines. Now I own too many of my own.

I'm an electrician by trade but my primary day job is teaching- I'm an instructor, and I teach apprentices work site safety, math, as well as electrical and building code. My background was construction and service, but my career has taken me everywhere from industrial control systems to thermography. I'm just as interested in repairing machines as playing them, and my electronics workshop takes up nearly as much room as the games themselves.

Other than that, I'm a homebrewer and I love to travel and cook. I'm a humanist, don't read nearly as much as I want to, and am a passionate trade unionist. (Any other electricians or apprentices here who would like to have a proper pension someday should discretely drop me a line. I can help.)
Sharing my space with: Stern Meteor, Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Bally Centaur II, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames

steamfitter
MAACA Barbarian

Postby steamfitter » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:12 am

Salut , mon non est Denis . j aimais beaucoup les machine a boule et les jeux video quand j etait jeune . Come beaucoup d autre en 2012 ma premiere pin Gottlieb Pinball Pool . Je l ai jouer a toute les jours pendand des hrs et des mois :FP: Avec les annee j ai decouvert que sais une maladie dangereuse et contagieuse ( sa fas des annee que j ai pas ecris en francais ) :FP:

I am a licences plumber , steamfitter and gas fitter . Being in the union gives me the opportunity to travel to other locals for work , i've worked in many different cities and worked in refineries , power plants , potash plants , steel plants . Basically i chase jobs with lots of hrs ( 6 to 7 days a week for a couple of months )then i'm off till i find the next one .

i've been off since November and been working on pins almost every day :party
Pins: Mars God of War , Black Hole , bally star trek ,Devil's Dare , Police Force
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Projects : Sinbad , rapid fire , fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:54 am

I'm Caitlyn. Got into pinball when my daughter arrived and I no longer had time to run events.
Turns out I'm not that great at the mechanical OR electrical sides, but ended up with a knack for finding rarities and helping coordinate their new homes behind-the-scenes, for myself and many other collectors. Then I beg for help for my own machines. So I can't really fix, but am a good "Fixer".
I organize Pinball Women Ottawa and have been focusing on the history of pinball and early coin-op games from around the world to exhibit to the public. I am passionate about social justice, refugees, parenting, and small silver balls.
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: スマートボール (Smart Ball), 1934 PAMCO Contact Master, 1936 Bally Challenger (lent), 1934 Rock-Ola World's Series, 1934 Bally Signal Jr, 1934 Bally Signal Sr (lent), 1950 Culp Bridge Ball, 1964 Daiwa Pachinko, 1972 CC Mini-Baseball (loan), 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Pace Base Ball, 1931 Pace Whiz Ball, 1932 Bally Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround, 1935 Par Golf, 1960s Bingolette
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”