Welcome to MAACA! Introduce yourself!

Talk about anything that you would like.
redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 143 times

Re: Welcome to MAACA! Introduce yourself!

Post by redketchup »

Hi

I'm Gino aka Redketchup... I have a problem
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

Slacker
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by Slacker »

Sparky Umm maybe you should have introduced yourself as well.
Not everyone has had the pleasure I'm sure, Had beers and burgers in A-town in the parking lot or been here long enough to know why you are the Darl Lord.
As for me I'm the Guy in Hamilton that's not the con. Artist, Has too many Hobbies like most here, knows many but not by name just from shows and events And has been Quoted saying
"If it has Tits, Tires or you have to Winch it up the stairs it going to cause you problem and cost you money! "
Cheers and welcome all. My Sig enplanes the rest.
Cheers
Slacker
Playing.... SST, Buccaneer, Bally PB, Data East PB, Stern PB, TFTC, ACDC Pro, Hook, EATPM
Gone. Magnotron, Bally Ticker Tape Bingo, Haunted House, Totem..... My Money and sanity

DrDude
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by DrDude »

I'm Grant AKA Dr. Dude, and I've been in the Pinball hobby since I moved to Ottawa from Denmark in 2000, starting with my first purchase, a totally basket-case barn-stored (literally cow manure-covered) Meteor. I'm a Classic Stern nut, and specifically a huge fan of Steve Kirk, the designer of Meteor and Nineball. As an Electrical Engineer, I'm quite handy at board-repair, and love helping to diagnose Pinball Problems, though my expertise is largely in the early 80's Bally/Stern electronics.

Obviously, I have a problem, which is that my basement is too small. No sir, it is definitely _not_ that I have too many unrestored games, nor that I have a Wife who you really don't want to get onto the topic of unrestored games, and certainly NEVER want to figure out exactly how many games I actually own..

Attached is my cheat-sheet of Classic Bally/Stern electronic games.
pinball.pdf
(58.74 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Lightning, Nineball, Cheetah, Seawitch, Catacomb
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Balls-a-Poppin, Catacomb slingshot plastics
Lust-worthy: Dragonfist, Solar Fire, Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Just to recapitulate for those who doesn't know me... :mrgreen:

I was MAACA first official member in 2004. I met with JD3, Splitskull and Sparky (back when he was known as the Moonlit Knight !!) because I had bought a machine and didn't know that I could get it inside my basement :lol:

Here's what these cool guys looked like 15 years ago ! Drum rolls :band http://archive.maaca.org/s107351202.onl ... 094179184/

I became MAACA webmaster around 2009 when I did move the site to another host after getting tired of the legendary error 500. Changed the script to phpBB at that time as well, I think we are now running the third iteration of the site.

I became the MAACA owner somewhere around 2013 (I forgot the exact date) after Sparky decided that he needed a break and I am still owning and running it (technically speaking, of course, since he is a way better ambassador than me).

Machines: had way over 200 of them, time has passed and I don't own any anymore other than my grail, Fathom. Just some games loaned by a friend are still in the basement today.

That's it, passing the mic now ...
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

Lowrent
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Lowrent »

I'm Laurent, usually pronounced "Lowrent" by anglophones.

I'm probably the sanest member here, regarding pinball hoarding at least.
For years, I've been satisfied with my modest selection, spanning 3 decades : Centigrade 37 (1977) -> High Speed (1986) -> Medieval Madness (1997) Remake.
No craving for expansion or change.

Had a LOT of fun restoring the HS but have no desire for another playfield swap anytime soon.

ToMMy
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by ToMMy »

Hi,
I'm Brent, have been around this board since shortly after the four founding fathers created this gem.

Been involved in pinball and electronics since the late 70's.
In & out of the pinball hobby several times (not nearly as many times as Sparky whom I'm certain holds the world record for that), created a few custom machines which really burnt me out.
But, I'm recently back in again on an electronics bench-repair basis only... Plan on retiring soon from my full time job after 35+ years so I really needed to find a hobby.
I fix and create all things electronic, it's been in my blood all my life. Occasionally write mpu software for various freelance projects and code FPGA vhdl as well.

Great bunch of guys here although I have only met a few of them years ago!

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Chris Silver »

I'm Chris. I have some pinball machines. I like pinball. Time Warp sucks.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

Bruce....I only started a little more then 3 years ago. I always said one day I'd have a pinball machine, as between that and roller skating, that was my childhood.
Never dreamed that the collection would grew this fast....or at all. Presently at 20 working and 6 projects at various stages. Still haven't gone for that high end expensive game yet.....maybe at Allentown this year.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Pinoffski
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Pinoffski »

Hi Everyone,

I'm Dave,
Have just joined this forum so I am a Noob here....LOL

I live in Wollongong , Australia , it is 45mins south of Sydney
Fitter and Turner by trade so i am more mechanically minded than electrical ....

Purchased my first pinball in 1984 i was 17 at the time which unfortunately i sold
Played pinball at pinball arcades into the 90ies...

Got back into pinball in 2011 currently own 12 and 4 are projects + 1 parts machine as i sold the backglass to a friend + 2 more are on hold and coming soon... LOL
Wife and I play in a league once a month that is hosted at players homes.

I am lucky as the wife likes pinball more than me ...LOL

Cheers
Dave

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

Pinoffski wrote:I am lucky as the wife likes pinball more than me ...LOL
A rare prototype. Handle with care.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

eightball
MAACA New Contributor

Post by eightball »

I am Steve. I’ve played pinball my whole life practically, but only started “collecting” (if you can call what I do collecting lol) three years ago when my wife spearheaded an effort to get me a pinball machine for my 50th bday. I am up to 3 now with pre-approval for more! Hit me up if you are looking to sell a machine, one with ramps and multi all cuz my modest collection is currently lacking both.

A couple of points...not only does my wife support my hobby, but she participates fully! Yes, I know how freaking lucky I am.

The other thing I want to say is that we have made many new friends through pinball and for me this has been the most positive aspected of the hobby. Three years ago I would have told you I was the best pinball player I knew. Now I know literally dozens of better players than me! Heck, some days I’m not even the best player in my own household!
Playing: Eight Ball, Sky Jump, Paragon, Dirty Harry, AC/DC pro
Gone but not forgotten: Harlem Globetrotters
Wanted: More space for pinball machines

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

Je suis Mrhide.

J'ai aidé 2 des 4 idiots fondateurs au début de leur maladie :) J'ai vendu sa premiere pin à Sparky: Flash Gordon et j'ai aidé JD 3 pour une de ses premiere shop jobs. Il voulait partir maaca mais je suis resté dans l'ombre ... je pense je suis le 5 ieme membre après eux... J'ai aider un 3ieme idiot a descendre une pin dans sa cave et son escalier de la mort une fois ou deux !

Enfant j'ai jamais eu de console ....j'ai donc grandi dans les arcades. j'ai tout essayer :)

J'aime bien donner mon opinion sur divers sujets. Ceci me vaut plusieurs PM : des bons et des mauvais :D les anglais m'adorent !
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Hi, I'm Kev. And I like the pin ball games!

2014 - Re: The "EPIC" Tales of Pinball!: viewtopic.php?p=139604#p139604

2012 - Re: WHAT WAS YOUR RELATIONSHIP TO COIN OP SAY, - 10 YEARS AGO: viewtopic.php?p=94805#p94805

2011 - Re: How many time are you in the hobby ?: viewtopic.php?p=57133#p57133

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by HPR Pinball »

Au début il n'y avait rien, juste des pinballs mécanique, ma vie était un néan jusqu'a environ l'âge de 10 ans.
La lumière apparue au bout du tunnel car une vision m'est apparue, les premières pinballs électronique avec des display numérique, je jouais a Star Trek et SMDM, j'était super impressionné par ces pinballs moderne. Ensuite viennent les vidz, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Missile Command, Galaxian, Astro Fighter etc ... ca y est ma vie venait de prendre tout son sens :-)

Xenon, Space Invaders, Flash Gordon, EBD, Centaur, Fathom, Firepower, Black Knight, autant de beauté venais illuminer mes journée mois après mois. Robotron, Defender, Millipede, Stargate, Dragon's Lair, Joust, Ms Pac-Man, Omega Race, Moon Patrol, Time Pilot et etc ..... des tonnes de vidz apparaissaient presque semaine après semaines, c'est une orgie de nouveautée. Ca y est, je regardais les arcades et je voulait passé ma vie dans ses murs :-)

Après 1983 les arcades disparaissent peu a peu mais je vais encore visité régulièrement les dernieres arcades survivantes jusqu'en 1995 environ. Ensuites viennent les jours sombres ou seul ma mémoire et mes rêves continuent d'alimenté cette passion disparue de la surface du globe.

L'an 2000 j'ai accès a internet. Après 2-3 mois, j'ai une drôle d'idée de voir s'il n'y aurait pas de l'informations sur les jeux video disparus des années 80 (et tant détesté de la société) c'est alors que je découvre qque chose de nouveau, Ebay !

Avec étonnement je vois qu'on peut acheter des video d'arcade et des pinballs, mon coeur s'est remis a battre, la lumière s'est rallumé a l'intérieur de moi.

Premier achat des usa, Robotron 1000$US avec un taux de change a 60%
Deuxième achat 1 semaine avant les attentats des tours jumelles, Tempest et a ce moment la game n'était pas arrivé et j'ai eu bien peur qu'elle reste coincé qque part. Premières pinballs, Firepower, Xenon !
Toutes mes premières games sont venu des usa et ensuite est venu maaca et j'ai pu commencé a faire des achats local mais j'ai constaté que le Quebec est devenu le desert des jeux video classique alors mes achats vidz ont quand même continuer aux usa. Même la plupart de mes pinballs proviennent de l'éxtérieur du Quebec a cause de la rareté des titres que je désiraient.

C'est un petit résumé de mon histoire d'arcade qui a commencé en 1977 et se termineras a mon dernier souffle très certainement.

ps: pour mes détracteurs qui espèrent voir des histoires humaines, des noms de personnes et expériences interpersonnelles, j'en met presque pas en public et c'est exprès. Regardez-vous dans un miroir et posez-vous vos propres questions et critiques a vous-mêmes, votre vie et la société s'en porteras beaucoup mieux.
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Today, I am looking at this forum and this hobby with a new perspective.
I am a "brand new" and "wet under the ears" participant here me thinks.

I think this is a very good way for me to look at this hobby.
I have some new ways to relate to some very old stories.

gmaranda
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by gmaranda »

HI!

I am Gilles. I was very active for a few years and then I became a lurker......just watching what is going on. I am not as involved with pinballs/arcade games but I like to keep in touch.

I am a fixer so I get off finding a problem and correcting it. I compensate for not being good by being persistent......once it took me a year to find one problem but what a thrill!!!

I have a 1000 different projects of all kinds and none close to being finished. I guess I find satisfaction in the journey!!!

Yes, pinball is a disease but you can control it (not)

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

Hi! I'm Colin! I got into the hobby because I had room in my basement and Cait001 had too many machines. Now I own too many of my own.

I'm an electrician by trade but my primary day job is teaching- I'm an instructor, and I teach apprentices work site safety, math, as well as electrical and building code. My background was construction and service, but my career has taken me everywhere from industrial control systems to thermography. I'm just as interested in repairing machines as playing them, and my electronics workshop takes up nearly as much room as the games themselves.

Other than that, I'm a homebrewer and I love to travel and cook. I'm a humanist, don't read nearly as much as I want to, and am a passionate trade unionist. (Any other electricians or apprentices here who would like to have a proper pension someday should discretely drop me a line. I can help.)

steamfitter
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by steamfitter »

Salut , mon non est Denis . j aimais beaucoup les machine a boule et les jeux video quand j etait jeune . Come beaucoup d autre en 2012 ma premiere pin Gottlieb Pinball Pool . Je l ai jouer a toute les jours pendand des hrs et des mois :FP: Avec les annee j ai decouvert que sais une maladie dangereuse et contagieuse ( sa fas des annee que j ai pas ecris en francais ) :FP:

I am a licences plumber , steamfitter and gas fitter . Being in the union gives me the opportunity to travel to other locals for work , i've worked in many different cities and worked in refineries , power plants , potash plants , steel plants . Basically i chase jobs with lots of hrs ( 6 to 7 days a week for a couple of months )then i'm off till i find the next one .

i've been off since November and been working on pins almost every day :party
Pins: Black Hole , Lightning , Future Spa, Pink Panther
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Arcade: hang on , space invaders 412 in 1
Projects : seeburg LPC-1 , Excalibur

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

I'm Caitlyn. Got into pinball when my daughter arrived and I no longer had time to run events.
Turns out I'm not that great at the mechanical OR electrical sides, but ended up with a knack for finding rarities and helping coordinate their new homes behind-the-scenes, for myself and many other collectors. Then I beg for help for my own machines. So I can't really fix, but am a good "Fixer".
I organize Pinball Women Ottawa and have been focusing on the history of pinball and early coin-op games from around the world to exhibit to the public. I am passionate about social justice, refugees, parenting, and small silver balls.
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Gramma
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Gramma »

Hi everyone, my name is Donna and I am truly a newbie. I just joined this forum 9 days ago.

I played pinball in my teen years and had no idea that it really existed anymore since you rarely see them and I don't know the last time I saw an arcade. Then a year ago, my co-worker told me there were leagues and tournaments and got me hooked. I love playing and have met so many wonderful people because of this.

I got my first pin 2 days ago. It was given to me sight unseen and a couple of the guys from league picked it up for me and unfortunately found it was in rough shape and not in working order. They checked it out and told me that it would be quite a project to restore it and since I have no ability to do so, I sold it the next day. So keeping my eye out for my first actually owned and playable pin.

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Welcome aboard Donna :P

A bit sad that the free game was too rough but I'm sure that you will find a first one soon enough.

Good luck in your quest and don't forget to post pics, we love pics ! :mrgreen:

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

Gramma wrote:Hi everyone, my name is Donna and I am truly a newbie. I just joined this forum 9 days ago.

I played pinball in my teen years and had no idea that it really existed anymore since you rarely see them and I don't know the last time I saw an arcade. Then a year ago, my co-worker told me there were leagues and tournaments and got me hooked. I love playing and have met so many wonderful people because of this.

I got my first pin 2 days ago. It was given to me sight unseen and a couple of the guys from league picked it up for me and unfortunately found it was in rough shape and not in working order. They checked it out and told me that it would be quite a project to restore it and since I have no ability to do so, I sold it the next day. So keeping my eye out for my first actually owned and playable pin.
welcome! Do you have an idea what you're looking for? MAACA is pretty good at helping newbies find their first proper machine. :)
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

RacingMat
MAACA New Contributor

Post by RacingMat »

Hi there!

I'm Mat from France! I got the virus back now that I'm in my forties and now I have 2 pinball machines: Ice Fever - Gottlieb sys80 and Nitro Ground Shaker - Bally 1980
i'm currently developping my own arduino system to build a pinball from scratch.

Mat

Azatotht
Admins

Post by Azatotht »

Welcome around RacingMat !

J'ai vraiment hâte de suivre ton projet, j'espère que tu vas nous publier beaucoup de photos :D

RacingMat
MAACA New Contributor

Post by RacingMat »

Merci pour l'accueil Azatotht !
j'ai édité une petite vidéo pour la partie électronique :)
Dans quelle rubrique dois-je poster mon projet arduino STP ?