Why are motors so rare in pinballs?

Talk about anything that you would like.
cap
MAACA Barbarian

Why are motors so rare in pinballs?

Postby cap » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:00 pm

I have 5 machines with over 100 coils in them but only 3 motors total.
Granted, I don't expect a motor to drive a slingshot,
but even if the coils remain the majority, why don't we see more motors with cool effects?
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

HPR Pinball
MAACA Grand Wizard

Re: Why are motors so rare in pinballs?

Postby HPR Pinball » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:04 pm

cap wrote:I have 5 machines with over 100 coils in them but only 3 motors total.
Granted, I don't expect a motor to drive a slingshot,
but even if the coils remain the majority, why don't we see more motors with cool effects?

I assume a motor is more complex to drive and they cannot be use for fast action
Inventory
Pins: http://www.pinballowners.com/hal-9ooo
Vids: http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/me ... _id=454505
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Atari used motors for their flippers early on. It sucked bigtime, and not really repairable.

Also, I find that regardless what people say, no one really wants change in pinball. Case in point, the lower third of a playfield has rarely changed in ages.

And I agree 100% with Max here. Motors can be used to deflect, like the soccer ball in WCS, but cannot really be used for anything quick.

Other items I recall that were very quick on a playfield with a motor are the spinning bumpers in Orbitor1, and discs like in Whirlwhild and Fireball.
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

cait001
MAACA Death Knight

Postby cait001 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:04 pm

sell your solid state games and go for EMs! A motor in every machine.
PINS: GTB Super Soccer (lent), GTB Sure Shot, BLY Mousin' Around, WMS No Good Gofers, WMS Triple Strike (loan)
COUNTERTOP: スマートボール (Smart Ball), 1934 PAMCO Contact Master, 1936 Bally Challenger (lent), 1934 Rock-Ola World's Series, 1934 Bally Signal Jr, 1934 Bally Signal Sr (lent), 1950 Culp Bridge Ball, 1964 Daiwa Pachinko, 1972 CC Mini-Baseball (loan), 1975 Satomi Arrangeball, 1930 Fields Five Jacks, 1931 Pace Base Ball, 1931 Pace Whiz Ball, 1932 Bally Goofy, 1978 Haiwa Pachinko
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround, 1935 Par Golf, 1960s Bingolette
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship)
Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:24 pm

cait001 wrote:sell your solid state games and go for EMs! A motor in every machine.

Ha ha, but that would still be at most one per game.
I guess the magic squares in a bingo machines are motors, so that would be the machine with the most motors I can think of.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:32 pm

HPR Pinball wrote:I assume a motor is more complex to drive and they cannot be use for fast action

I don't see the issue with fast action. Sure motors suck for flippers, but you can get pretty cool effects with motors elsewhere.
Maybe someone with more electronic background can tell us how difficult it is to drive a motor compared to an actuator?

Dave Astill
MAACA Mage

Postby Dave Astill » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:32 pm

they break a lot and are expensive.
Providing hard to find pinball i.c.s. eprom service and more

DrSmooth
MAACA Collaborator

Postby DrSmooth » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:37 am

From my experience,
If not continually spinning, they are slow to react. They are not instant. They need to build up speed like you car. The electronics aren't that complicated, but if they get dirty or wear, it will certainly affect the speed and momentum.
The history of it in pinball ( to me) seems like the noise is a huge dealbreaker.
Certain motors are really expensive and some of the same size and complexity are not (supply and demand?). I'm not sure why that is.
Maintenance is more complex and can be dangerous, like Dr.Who.
Other than spinning wheels of doom, or black hole backgglass, what were you hoping to see?
That's my 2 cents
Dr.Who, World Cup Soccer, Space Shuttle, Hardbody, D&D, Demolition Man, Lizard, Revenge From Mars, Gorgar, Special Force, Baywatch
Gone: Judge Dredd, Spring Break, Elektra, Big Guns, Rocky and Bullwinkle

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”