What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by cait001 »

did a new "arcade exploration" post, this time for the 1966 film い賭博師 悪魔の左手 aka Kuroi Tobakushi: Akuma no Hidarite aka Black Gambler: Devil's Left Hand
http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2021/ ... kushi.html
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Last edited by WARLOCK on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

Captain Fantastic took a turn for the worse two weeks ago and wouldn’t start a game. I didn’t have time to do much except poke around blindly until this evening.

The game wouldn’t start. I could manually lock in the game over relay, and only certain items would score. The reset relay did nothing, but things that scored 300/500 would get it going. Alright, armed with this information and the schematics I could track it down.
4EE474EF-60A3-4168-A89B-81E4ADA65B13.jpeg
Alright, so 300 and 500 power the score motor just fine, and there’s nothing between them and ground. On the other hand, the NO contact on the reset relay needs to go through two of the NC contacts on the 2nd and 3rd coin chute switches…
B217A22A-0B36-4D26-9436-AC861CC19F84.jpeg
A visual inspection of the switches shows no problem, but when I stick my wiggy on it to see if there’s continuity, it falls off. Grabbed the shop iron, two minutes later, and we’ve got a game running, just in time for the retiree Christmas dinner in a few days.

Someone once said that good wine and free time are the keys to happiness. I don’t disagree, but patience and good documentation are a close second.
F0CA82D8-2DEB-424B-AC28-CEB0DAAF9141.jpeg

Craig
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Craig »

What did I do in the hobby today?

After a six month search to track down the artwork, gave sign-off on a proof for a custom sign in preparation for the new games rooms.

Hope to have y’all over soon.

Who was at the Bank and Alta Vista location with me from 1980 to 86?

After all…. “It is a Family Affair”
Attachments
6B09851B-2D9C-4952-A777-F75A64ED1494.jpeg
Bally: Paragon, Bobby Orr Power Play, Harlem Globetrotters, Hotdoggin, Fathom, Eight Ball Deluxe,
Classic Stern: Stars, Big Game, Nine Ball, Seawitch, Freefall, Star Gazer
Williams: Space Shuttle
Gottlieb: Volley, Atlantis, Count Down
Stern: Demolition Man, Metallica Premium, Iron Maiden Premium, Elvira's House of Horrors Premium, Stranger Things Pro, Godzilla Premium

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by Chris Silver »

Today I did some desperately needed ground mods on Timeline and Black Hole. Because of Covid I’ve been away from home frequently and my arcade has been acting finicky.
Attachments
1B2DC355-441C-4A5A-A53B-B2A4196F2110.jpeg
2B316015-6084-4FD7-B400-8FEBFCDA94F2.jpeg
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Replaced this:
05D1AF07-FCF7-42BF-8A68-BFFCDFE55759.jpeg
With this:
F3D24B14-BBFF-4E56-9749-14B48B58BFD8.jpeg
The very early Rottendog up top is laid out incorrectly: if you put in a bridge rectifier the way the PCB is keyed, you'll blow your CPU. Very cool. The way the PCB is laid out, DC is on one side and AC is on the other… but bridge rectifiers are laid out diagonally. Whoever assembled this kit had to rotate the rectifiers and cross two of the legs.… not to mention they subbed in a bunch of parts from their original board and left others out entirely.

Easier to just rebuild it from scratch with something better.

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by redketchup »

Nice little project, complete LED set for my F2K, easy, nice instructions and beautiful display, i will do it agaim
Attachments
9285CF0B-9044-4A61-A1DC-94775B61435E.jpeg
DEF68B83-1B7B-4BD7-83F2-4D6AF3319C93.jpeg
222B2D9A-5C40-48DE-9D2B-B74550474AC9.jpeg
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

targetlaf
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 23 times

Post by targetlaf »

Quoi de mieux pour décrocher de la covid que de refaire les "flipper"sur une Gottlieb El Dorado. Sa prend du power 😄
Attachments
20211227_191106.jpg
Paragon, Evel knievel,Xenon , Cleopatra (em), Barracora, Fathom (project) Cab. Taito/Qix , Defender cocktail and rock ola jukebox

Gone: Arena, Nugent, Pharaoh, Freefall, Catacomb, Flight 2000, Embryon, PIN-BOT, Disco Fever, Time Warp, Flash Gordon, Vulcan, Hit The Deck, Elvira, Spectrum, Amazing Spiderman, Circus, Pink Panther, Night Rider, Old Chicago, Target Alpha, Big Hit, Card Whiz, Blackout, Cue ball Wizard, Space invaders,Andromeda, Devil's Dare,Black knight, Centigrade 37, Asteroid annie and the aliens, El Dorado,Surfer

bjm-maxx
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 16 times

Eight Ball Plus - Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by bjm-maxx »

I guess this qualifies as something I did in the hobby. I have been working with the Bally Stern Operating System to create an update to my Bally Eight Ball. I have always wanted to take a crack at modifying the rule set. I have been working on this as a project since about April. I now have a very playable game I am calling Eight Ball Plus. The game now has goals to achieve that build up to a 15 ball wizard mode. If anyone has an Eight Ball you might be interested in trying this out. I will put a video together to show it off soon.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

You are doing this in assembler? You are more courageous than I am.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

I assessed & (collected)10 years of something something.
10 years that I myself (plus Wong's help) took to complete.

It is: and it was: an extra-ordinary feat of collectivitae bravado!
Now that it is complete, it hardly matters. Time to pass it on soon.

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

WARLOCK wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:23 am I assessed & (collected)10 years of something something.
10 years that I myself (plus Wong's help) took to complete.

It is: and it was: an extra-ordinary feat of collectivitae bravado!
Now that it is complete, it hardly matters. Time to pass it on soon.
Say what? Lol

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

I have collected most of what I set out to do in pinball in the last 10 years.
It is now time to start thinning the herd to a manageable and reasonable size.

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

WARLOCK wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:58 pm I have collected most of what I set out to do in pinball in the last 10 years.
Ahh, gotcha! Wanting to shed if you have too many games is not such a bad problem to have! :D
And I'm sure we can help you with that, lol

bjm-maxx
MAACA New Contributor

Post by bjm-maxx »

cap wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:12 pm You are doing this in assembler? You are more courageous than I am.
BSOS is what its creator called it. The link has way more info but in a nutshell an arduino is connected onto the J5 diagnostic connector on a Bally or Stern MPU. The CPU is told to halt, the Arduino drives the hardware instead. Completely reversible, just plugs on, a little switch lets you go back and forth. Since it is an Arduino, the code is written in C++.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic ... an-arduino

I duplicated the original game, then added new rules on top of them, there are now 5 goals to be achieved before getting to what I call 15 ball mode.

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 30 times

Post by cap »

I heard of the Arduino Pinball Controller but this looks different. How many lines of code did it take?
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

bjm-maxx
MAACA New Contributor

Post by bjm-maxx »

The OS proper is on its own tab and is about 2000 lines. The game logic is about 3000 lines of which about 500 lines are pre-existing state machine code to make the game cycle through attract, initialize game play, initialize new ball, normal game play, bonus countdown, then match mode. I wrote about 2500 lines plus some definition files for what lamps, switches, solenoids are in the game. Doing a second game is waaay faster.

I created a thread in the Projects area. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27552

I got my game video done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37BMJt-EjWI

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Awesome! I did the BSOS Meteor conversion and it's really, really good.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

WARLOCK wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:58 pm I have collected most of what I set out to do in pinball in the last 10 years.
oooo I feel this. I'm now at a very happy spot where I've got almost every grail I sought out, and so the hunt has slowed way down. (mind you, my net was catching way more things than pinball, but you know that)
like at this point I have a line on a 9-hole bagatelle, and once that happens I'll be looking for an exemplary 19th century toy bagatelle, a specific 1930s prototype I have my sights on, and that's mostly it. After that it's mostly just fixing what's here, and/or replacing them with better condition copies.
Mind you, that thinking doesn't even touch pinball, which feels so far out of my reach. I still want to eventually sell Regatta and replace it with a new machine like DP or GZ, but that kind of money is a long way away.
I'm quite content with my setup, and 3 pinballs (+ the rest of the galley of machines) is perfect for me.
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by mrmikeman »

I know what you are feeling about achieving the goal. Difference is I didn't really have specific games in mind other than have a full lineup (in this case I have 6 spots) of games that I can't easily beat and/or the theme just clicks with me.

Been here for a while now and honestly it's strange - quite the opposite of when I was collecting 10+ years ago. I follow releases and stuff but nothing is really grabbing me. No space at the inn and it's just too risky to get rid of a game I like for a game I know nothing about. It's almost like I am bored of pinball except I play every singly day. I just like what's here.

The only game that will leave "soonish" is LOTR. I thought it was a keeper because I never got to the end when I owned it years ago. However I've beat it within a few weeks of owning it again and a few times after that. Doesn't make me want to play again. Weird that on MMr I can get to the end mode fairly regularly yet I still want to keep playing. I think it's because beating MMr takes about 30 mins. I've had 90 min games on LOTR. It gets boring playing 1 game for that long.

In any case I will need a spot for an incoming game but not right away. I intend to take STTNG out of the lineup for a full restore and once that is done I will sell LOTR. Always keeping 6 working games that I like is the goal.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

tom_454
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by tom_454 »

I sold my Shadow yesterday. It lasted less than 24 hours. I thought it would take months like my Xmen did. I also got my TZ back up and running over the holidays. It had issues and was out of commission for quite a while. I was considering selling TZ and keeping Shadow but every time I play TZ … we’ll I just can’t do it. I have now owned that beast for over 14 years.
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

I enabled somebody......and picked myself up a very nice pinball dolly at a great price.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

set an alarm so I can bid in a UK auction that begins at 5am EST Friday...

Mindstorm88
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Mindstorm88 »

Received it for the next gameroom
20220108_161331.jpg
Yes it s really her that bought it :D :D

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

I have a new article up, published in the Nikkei Voice
http://nikkeivoice.ca/arcade-origins-in ... rn-gaming/

Also have pics of the physical paper on my blog
http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2022/ ... gashi.html