What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by semicolin »

pharoah007 wrote:Had a chance to play one of my pins for more than 5 min and the tube started to go on/off.

Could a different "starter" possibly be needed?
Ooh! I get to give electrical advice!

For many of these types of LED tubes to work properly you actually have to bypass the starter/ballast inside your pinball game and wire the ends of the tube up to 120V/line voltage directly per the instructions. No different (or any) starter required.

If you just swapped it in directly without rewiring your game you may have cooked the tube or the original ballast.

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by redketchup »

Hi try one in my metallica and i doesnt light up... i just order a LED starter for it... IT's a direct circuit with a fused... I'm currently waitinfg to my order show up, will keep you informed

Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

Battlezoneman
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by Battlezoneman »

I finally got one of these again.
roadblasters.jpg
I regretted selling my other one years ago, and was very happy when I found this one for sale.

Has a couple issues (monitor cuts out after a while, some loud static in music and missing the curved pieces), but it does work. Seller was a really nice guy.

Seen a couple uprights, but didn't think I would ever find one in a cockpit again.
Roadblasters Cockpit
Monaco GP Cockpit
Centipede Upright
Defender Upright
Missle Command Cabaret
Tons of game PCB's

Blackghost4
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Blackghost4 »

Just picked up in my travels today this Williams Hayburners II project.
Attachments
20200115_151448.jpg
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980), Gottlieb Robo-War (1988), Gottlieb Deadly Weapon (1990), Gottlieb Class of 1812 (1991), Gottlieb Counterforce (1980), Gottlieb Sinbad (1978), Gottlieb Operation Thunder (1992), Gottlieb Diamond Lady (1988), Gottlieb Vulcan (1977), Fascination Circa 1933 (1979 cocktail pinball), Bally World Cup Soccer 94 (1994), Bally Black Belt (1986), Gottlieb Gold Wings (1986)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968),Gottlieb Big Shot (1974)

Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along, Gottlieb Genesis, Gottlieb Force II, Gottlieb Card Whiz, Gottlieb Sinbad, Gottlieb Fun Land, Bally Future Spa, Gottlieb Buccaneer, Gottlieb Dancing Dolls, Gottlieb Striker, Gottlieb Bad Girls, Gottlieb Jacks To Open, Gottlieb Pro Football, Gottlieb Incredible Hulk

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

Battlezoneman wrote:I finally got one of these again.

roadblasters.jpg

I regretted selling my other one years ago, and was very happy when I found this one for sale.

Has a couple issues (monitor cuts out after a while, some loud static in music and missing the curved pieces), but it does work. Seller was a really nice guy.

Seen a couple uprights, but didn't think I would ever find one in a cockpit again.
I use to play the shit out of this when I was a kid! Loved the cockpit version! Congrats on finding one!

Battlezoneman
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by Battlezoneman »

Fifty wrote:I use to play the shit out of this when I was a kid! Loved the cockpit version! Congrats on finding one!
Thanks. Been looking for years and never thought I would find one again.

Started taking the Roadblasters apart today to do maintenance and look at the issues with the machine. Took out all the boards and the monitor. Was surprised to find out that the machine is all original. All serials numbers match (two main boards, two sound boards, power supply, monitor).

Monitor has a decent amount of burn in, but since the monitor sits way back in the machine (has a magnifier to make it look bigger) you don't see the burn in when sitting in the machine with the game off. Looking at ordering a cap kit for the monitor.

Audio boards look fine, so I am thinking it might be the speakers that are fried and giving me all the static. As when I adjusted the sound level, the static stayed consistent when it was turned up and down. Will pull them out and check them. Probably just spend the $20 and buy a nice new set.
Roadblasters Cockpit
Monaco GP Cockpit
Centipede Upright
Defender Upright
Missle Command Cabaret
Tons of game PCB's

steamfitter
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by steamfitter »

Blackghost4 wrote:Just picked up in my travels today this Williams Hayburners II project.
Nice to see your going to bring an other em to life .
Pins: Black Hole , Lightning , Future Spa, Pink Panther
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Arcade: hang on , space invaders 412 in 1
Projects : seeburg LPC-1 , Excalibur

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Reorganized the electronics workbench!
096D767E-2E38-4353-BC6F-F7A715C4082B.jpeg

pharoah007

Post by pharoah007 »

Who can guess what I am up to?

Image2020-01-18_10-41-33 by Z R, on Flickr

redketchup
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by redketchup »

Metallica sparky protector!
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Flight 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Stargazer, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Wurlitzer 41, 700, 750e, 1100, 1900, 1700, Rockola 1428, tempo 1, seeburg HF 100R, VL 200, Ami I
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

pharoah007

Post by pharoah007 »

redketchup wrote:Metallica sparky protector!
Winner winner chicken dinner!

shane
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by shane »

Got a call from a " older" lady this afternoon asking me if I fix pinball machines. I live in a tiny town of 8000 and lots of folks know I'm a pinhead so someone must of given her my name.

Over the phone she told me her late husband bought the game for the kids in 79 or so,

kool dad!

She also told the game stopped working about 25 years ago! Yep 25. They just left it on legs in basement and that was that... She had called a few service people over the years but nobody ever did show up.

I wasn't sure what I was in for, all she could tell me that it was a D. Gottlieb machine.

Sooo, volt meter, sockets and both tool kits as who knows and I went to take a look on a dark frozen Renfrew night.

Her basement was a time machine !
1977 everywhere . Vinyl bar and stools, Mint, brown shag, fake rock walls ! ping pong, air hockey, table hockey. All vintage. All minty conditions.
I thought I heard the Rockford files theme song.

Over against the wall was a 4 player Bronco, not the most desirable em out there but man o man did it look like it belonged in that basement. Standing in the same spot for over 3 decades.

I opened the back of the head and had the biggest sniff of nostalgia I could. ( y'all know that smell :)?( I faakn love that smell. Tell me I'm not alone)?
I can still smell it.

We powered it up and with more than a little encouragement at the score reels and basically everywhere else it plays fine, just fine. 25+ years of neglect,dirt and grime but otherwise so original less one pop cap.
It was 1978 again.

Some reading may say so what? It's a Bronco, not a
" .......... " machine.
You're right.
Some may say I find basements etc. like that all the time.
You're right too.

I don't find stuff like this often enough for it not too make me stop, smile and feel 12 years old.

I love this " hobby " for stuff just like this.
You can find nostalgia sometimes.
I'm gonna bring it up the stairs and home this weekend, shop it out and give it the isopropyl scrub. Then its going right back where it belongs so the grandkids ,12 to 17 can time travel. I'll charge her for the novus/ wax and parts, that's it. Maybe I'll test play it for a couple winter nights....
I think kool dad would approve.
Attachments
20200120_185926.jpg
Shane. "Just because I love pinball doesn't mean I'm any good".

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Fifty »

That backglass looks pretty minty!

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

good on you, and oh yes I love that smell
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

shane
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by shane »

Fifty wrote:That backglass looks pretty minty!
The backglass was almost perfect. Maybe a 9.9
Cabinet too, like 9.5.
Pf had some insert issues and flipper scars but otherwise beautiful.
Shane. "Just because I love pinball doesn't mean I'm any good".

tombiosis
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by tombiosis »

Very cool! Nice that you are helping her out!
Pinball karma coming your way Shane!
Pins: 8BDlx, Rush Pro, The Walking Dead Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Deadpool Pro, Tommy.
Gone but not forgotten: 6M$M, Fish Tales, Sorcerer, WPT, Elvis, Centaur II, Sure Shot, Firepower, Big Buck Hunter Pro, JP pro, EBD1984.

WTB: Fathom, TSPP, BSD, GOT.

Quit talking and start chalking!

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

My custom PCBs are here!
B6A563A9-F5BC-40BD-A1E3-E3784955B25B.jpeg
When this is populated, it can be configured as an adapter to connect any configuration of DIP package to an EPROM burner. Makes it easy to rip the data on old custom mask ROMs out of any pinball or arcade machine.

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Fifty »

Very cool Colin!

eh97ac
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by eh97ac »

semicolin wrote:My custom PCBs are here!B6A563A9-F5BC-40BD-A1E3-E3784955B25B.jpeg

When this is populated, it can be configured as an adapter to connect any configuration of DIP package to an EPROM burner. Makes it easy to rip the data on old custom mask ROMs out of any pinball or arcade machine.
Could you read/write NVRAM?

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

eh97ac wrote:
semicolin wrote:My custom PCBs are here!B6A563A9-F5BC-40BD-A1E3-E3784955B25B.jpeg

Could you read/write NVRAM?
Provided the burner and software supports it, sure. Essentially, a lot of those NVRAM adapter boards just convince our games that the modern NVRAM chip is actually a PCD5101 SRAM.

This is a pinout adapter... most burners don't support mask roms natively, but you can adjust jumpers to make them think you have a 2732 EPROM installed. That means all those old games that have data on rapidly decaying mask ROMs can be read and reburnt onto newer memory chips.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

today I made a post about the penny arcade scene from the 1953 Fred Astaire film The Band Wagon http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2020/ ... wagon.html

also starting up a new series on niche coin-op collections in case any of you have some cool stuff to show off... http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2020/ ... ction.html
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Busy day today.
DF9800A8-D505-4164-AAEE-E948E4B06AE1.jpeg
Bought some dead-stock logic chips cheap from overseas. Had to test them before putting them in my parts drawers. 1 bad out of 10 isn't too shabby.

81D8515F-ECD8-4BEC-849B-18C19F3EAFCC.jpeg
At the same time I bought two Motorola MC6800P CPUs that I thought were old stock. They sent me these instead, and they definitely weren't a match for the pictures in the ad. It was so new looking that at first I thought it was counterfeit- surely nobody was still manufacturing this forty year old microprocessor? Turns out I received a new one made in 2016 by Rochester Electronics under license from Motorola/Freescale. Not too shabby for under $5, and they work perfectly. This guy did a full teardown on the same part: https://vintageteardown.com/die-photo/m ... -6800-mcu/

B0B42D67-E40A-4DBE-A9DD-0DF316FDC6AF.jpeg
Lastly, I finally got around to burning a Freeplay ROM for Tag Team, thanks to Flipp: https://www.flipprojets.fr/Freeplay_EN.php (NSFW!)

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by mrmikeman »

2F226AE1-250F-4110-B537-658B8A34857A.jpeg
The complete house repaint is in progress. Finally was able to move the pins from their temporary spot to my “new” gameroom - which happens to be where my “old” gameroom was in my previous collecting life lol. Now I have space for my MMR that’s coming in the next few weeks :D

Need to set things up. Probably on the weekend...
388C4888-FEB5-4429-A87C-2D65D1092E6C.jpeg
And for nostalgic purposes:
7EB2D1B4-E893-43E8-9669-817EAC37250D.jpeg
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

pharoah007

Post by pharoah007 »

redketchup wrote:Hi try one in my metallica and i doesnt light up... i just order a LED starter for it... IT's a direct circuit with a fused... I'm currently waitinfg to my order show up, will keep you informed

Update?

steamfitter
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by steamfitter »

I cleaned and waxed my Meteor playfield, parts in the ultrasonic cleaner .
Attachments
20200209_140746.jpg
Pins: Black Hole , Lightning , Future Spa, Pink Panther
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Arcade: hang on , space invaders 412 in 1
Projects : seeburg LPC-1 , Excalibur

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter