What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
tom_454
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by tom_454 »

My Xmen finally went to a new home yesterday so I had room to set up my last remaining folded pin - TFTC. Set it up today and despite being folded since May 2020 it played like a clock. First game I got to Crypt Jam and I have only ever done it twice before! It must have missed me. Played 2 more games and they sucked. Great game, looking forward to playing more as the fall sets in.
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by mrmikeman »

tom_454 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:26 pm My Xmen finally went to a new home yesterday so I had room to set up my last remaining folded pin - TFTC. Set it up today and despite being folded since May 2020 it played like a clock. First game I got to Crypt Jam and I have only ever done it twice before! It must have missed me. Played 2 more games and they sucked. Great game, looking forward to playing more as the fall sets in.
Games are like that sometimes lol. My MMr which I play every GD day has been handing me my ass for months now. 3 days ago I walk downstairs after supper, decided to warm up with MMR as my games tend to be very short on this thing. The warm up game lasted about 45 mins. Not only did I win BFTK (1st time since Feb) but almost started it a second time on the same game. Go figure…

I just walked away after that - done for the day lol. Might as well end on a high note!
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 226 times

Post by semicolin »

Having an open door to my workshop didn’t fit the look of the arcade, so I dusted off the sewing machine and banged out some Japanese-style noren curtains.
5ABA3C4A-2021-478E-9260-D1FC0DC5D930.jpeg
38A5B067-0182-4EF1-A380-78BCF539C6CF.jpeg
9A6E0669-7428-4268-AB7A-29F05B5B12A2.jpeg

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Finally finished installing the blacklight projectors and getting the other finishing touches in place. I think the arcade is finally done enough to give you all the video tour:

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

semicolin wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:01 pm Finally finished installing the blacklight projectors and getting the other finishing touches in place. I think the arcade is finally done enough to give you all the video tour:
BAO!
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

Hey can you tell us more about the centaur art you got on the back wall?
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

Hey can you tell us more about the centaur art you got on the back wall?
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Paul Faris signed a set of prints of his Centaur and Xenon concept art a few years back and I picked them up!

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Wel, I finally put most of the finishing touches on a work colleague's 1979 Star Trek today. Everything is 100% except for a tricky stand-up switch gap and a display with a wonky "d" segment. Those new transistors from Marco finally arrived to replace the counterfeit ones I had. Display seems to work at home, so I'll see how things go at the other end.

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Not too bad at all. It just needs a couple of reflows and it will be perfect…
ED934BC9-4EC0-4E90-95AB-9AD17C1F9163.jpeg

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

someone's been snacking on the green Smarties.

What game/system is that from? Gameplan?
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Game Plan Star Trip cocktail. Needs some love. A lot of it.

dr.nybble
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by dr.nybble »

Working on the Bullseye Baseball repaint, finishing up the cabinet before the weather says no.

Painted with laser cut MDF stencils.
Attachments
7AE27C43-F345-4599-9994-54B2B1A4DF68.jpeg
97CD8AE9-C56D-4ADA-A9BF-18BEAD9D9DCE.jpeg
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

Honey Badger
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Honey Badger »

Looks great Sean!
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

Finished repairing this rotten game plan mpu board. Tomorrow I rebuild the power supply and we'll see if it will boot up.
F4F2B6E3-59FC-41E0-9712-140F4F6DCEA9.jpeg

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

I got this amazing print from a Japanese print maker and historian that I have been working with
http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2021/ ... iyama.html

And I collected a 1923 series of articles on carnival game scs work
http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2021/ ... re-of.html

semicolin
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by semicolin »

it's alive!!!

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

I sat beside a lonely donkey; all the day long today, my friends.
And, I realized that this donkey: was more clever than ah me.
What he did was weighted and so true. Oh pooh, and boo.
He is far smarter than I gave him credit to, woo & hoo.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

My apologies for the rusty prose.
I am out of practice I suppose.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Trying to figure out how to make some early 80's Williams to behave.
And comply; so we can play them once again. Cheers. Salut.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by WARLOCK »

Still working on games daily.
No other real things to report.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

discovered they made an Akira pinball machine for a photoshoot by laying artwork on top of Buck Rogers and it's amazing
https://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2021 ... nball.html

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

Kaaaanneeeedaaaa!!

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

I don't usually post on this thread since I am not really in the hobby anymore, but rather preside in the coin operated amusement business and occasionally in some select philosophical cigar parlours. Forget that, sometimes my job is great fun, and sometimes it gets ugly, but hell, everyone has to earn a living somehow. In the end, it has been a cool way to do that barring a few wrong turns I took at Albuquerque.

I found myself doing stuff last night that could be an indication that the hobby and I are still on speaking terms. I decided that my 1936 Bally Bumper (which was given to me by a didactic no nonsense senior years ago) needed a topper. You see, Bally had a sort of red wooden oval cube (if I can put it that way) as the original topper, maybe a way to mark out the machine on location. But since mine has not been on location for at best the past 80 years, the original topper has gone missing. Knowing this, I permitted myself to connect the dots to the past sort of speak.

First, I placed an old & heavy mantle piece ornamental lamp (circa 1930's) that my grandfather had purchased new and which somehow ended up with me on top of Bumper's small backbox, (not me, the lamp). I was thinking that it would make a cool topper next to my other hobby artifacts, - smoking and writing, one of those I have given up for the time being, I will let you guess which one. Read on. :D

Bumper's Toppers
Bumper's Toppers

When a nickel is insert into Bumper's pushslide, the machine resets the digital counter and lights up the score for a 5 ball game. A little after the game has ended, a timer in the machine turns off the AC at the source in order to save electricity, a “good night Nellie” sort of thang. I decided that my grandparents old lamp should follow suit since the Nellie on top of the lamp is holding on to some weird ornamental flower vine or snake or combination thereof, regardless, I wired her likeness into Lady Bumper, that's how Don Shepherd would call her.

Big Snake & Flowers
Big Snake & Flowers

Then I decided that the technologies we have used in the past 100 years or so needed to be displayed via the objects I happen to find around me. I may have had too many cocktails last night.

Don Shepherd's B-day card
Don Shepherd's B-day card

Found a Stern game rom circuit board in my junk and symbolically “wired it” to a Gottlieb relay bank that I like very much.

Beast of a Relay Bank
Beast of a Relay Bank

Roms to Bank
Roms to Bank

Put that whole contraption under Bumper and saw the jones connector going nowhere..

Under Bumper
Under Bumper

So I decided to send that connector stemming from that beast of a relay bank up to the backbox of Bumper in order to just have it hang there symbolically, as if the jump from Bumper to the 1950's was a great leap, I guess it was.

Up to Lady Bumper's backbox
Up to Lady Bumper's backbox

Nothing like a worldwide war or crisis to make technologies leap ahead and build a new reality for folks to keep up with. It is a good thing that most of us don't live past hundred, because it is getting tougher to hold on to all our marbles as time marches on, derailing many via an accelerated pace.

Game Over Lady Bumper
Game Over Lady Bumper

Rabble Babble
Last edited by R.A.B. on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

I played a Stern Godzilla LE tonight and it was awesome. Excellent fun and flow, imho. I'm a connected Stern Insider now too. I want more. :oops:
Attachments
20211019_221038.jpg