What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 39 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by R.A.B. »

I really don't know if this qualifies as hobby related, but here goes. I think it is more likely to be perceived as industry/groupie impulse craziness related. I don't think we have a thread/forum for that sort of non-sense

Last week I called 102 year old Wayne Neyens who worked at Gottlieb for the majority of his amazing productive life. 159 of his game designs went into production at Gottlieb during the golden age of pinball for Gottlieb from the late 40's to the 60's. That was when they grew by leaps and bounds here and overseas, they even opened a hospital for kids in Chicago because the money had to go somewhere. So when Harry Mabs ( the guy who came up with the flipper in 1947) left Gottlieb for Williams, Wayne had a chance to make his mark as a designer and he did.

I was basically calling him to thank him for the 1952 Gottlieb "Queen of Hearts " that lives in my studio and that my 17 year-old noticed was exceptionally well designed since it always gives you the sense that you are about to win big, but you rarely do. When I mentioned these observations to Mr. Neyens coming from my 17 year old son making a remark about the brilliance of the playfield layout, he laughed out loud and said that this "Queen" was definitely his favorite design out of all the games he drew.

The man was as sharp as a knife but was being served his lunch in the following minutes so I did not want to bother him with puppy love excitement and babbler. I did not have the time to ask him the questions I really wanted to ask. I will try again this weekend. Steve Young of the Pinball Resource gave me Mr.Neyens home number and said that I should call and thank him for the "Queen of Hearts" for starters.

As well as thanking him I wanted to ask him if he possibly remembers the Tremblay brothers from Montreal getting a full tour of the factory on Kostner avenue in 1947 before starting the North Star Coin Machine Company in 1949, or what he knows about the Canadian distributor Laniel Amusements who picked up the Gottlieb line in 1952 when Romeo Laniel and Jean Coutu (VP of sales) drove down to Chicago in a big black Cadillac to make the connection with Gottlieb for the Canadian distributorship and then grew as a company to became the biggest most important Canadian distributor of coin operated equipment for well over 50 years.

Hell, I still get a fizz out of these old stories because the present is so disappointing to me as far from real break throughs in design and originality. We sell themes now, not game designs, and as far as the amusement coin operated business is concerned, it seems to be limping to an end at least in creativity and innovations. So, I continue to work in and with what remains of it, - I am watching closely for all the possible outcomes and will report accordingly for those who give a shit about what brought all of this on and altered our essentially meaningless lives.

" Ah hell Rowbear, - speak for yourself."

Robert (rab)
Last edited by R.A.B. on Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Gottlieb 1973 "Hot Shot" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza" - Gottlieb 1977 "Golden Arrow"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the last stages of life.

I always preferred the exceptional qualities quietly lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. But now, our meaningless day to day is promoted into the realm of the extraordinary via a world wide web of self-promotion mostly fueled by the new dumb. Add to that a saturation of information rendering the ability of the masses to react, think & follow through with real action even more unlikely.

"Some things are too hot to touch, the human mind can only stand so much - you can't win with a losing hand. " - Zimmy

"Ah...., you god damn writers, never a good word for anything. No one really knows what you will say or do next since all the truth in the world just adds up to one big lie from where you spew out your madness." My Alter Ego.

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Mrhide »

R.A.B. wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:25 pm
I really don't know if this qualifies as hobby related, but here goes. I think it is more likely to be perceived as industry/groupie impulse craziness related. I don't think we have a thread/forum for that sort of non-sense

it's called the pinexpo in chicago. And you get to meet them ( the designers, the artists, the programmers, etc.) in person and they are all really generous and nice.

Do yourself a favor and plan a trip if you never did. it is worth it.

Pinexpo02-09.jpg
DSCF2216.JPG
DSCF0060.JPG
LF: Original Taito VewLix, GrooveCoaster, shmups or any PCB, let me know what you have!

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

ps: RAB don't say a word and props to the first one who names the 4 legends in the first picture
LF: Original Taito VewLix, GrooveCoaster, shmups or any PCB, let me know what you have!

paidge
MAACA Millennial
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Post by paidge »

Mrhide wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:56 am
ps: RAB don't say a word and props to the first one who names the 4 legends in the first picture
Boom Boom Geoffrion, Doug Harvey, Jacques Plante et Dickie Moore.

cait001
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by cait001 »

R.A.B. wrote:
Last week I called 102 year old Wayne Neyens
well that's lovely to hear, thank you for sharing.
WANTED: Jezzard Mini Cascade, 21 by Duval / Klix by Groetchen etc, Steeple Chase (Kaye, Irving & Co) / Skill Horses / Skill Jump (Groetchen)
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

frosken
MAACA Buck
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by frosken »

Last week I called 102 year old Wayne Neyens who worked at Gottlieb for the majority of his amazing productive life. 159 of his game designs went into production at Gottlieb during the golden age of pinball from the late 40's to the 60's. That was when Gottlieb grew by leaps and bounds here and overseas, they even opened a hospital for kids in Chicago because the money had to go somewhere. So when Harry Mabs ( the guy who came up with the flipper in 1947) left Gottlieb for Williams in the early 50's, Wayne had a chance to make his mark as a designer.
While he was one of the pioneers, many of these designers are credited with a huge amount of designs, but I always found it misleading...

Although not Wayne's game but from another "pioneer" on the picture, a perfect example is this:

Playfield was produced by Gottlieb as a 1 player replay version called 'El Dorado', an Add-A-Ball version called 'Gold Strike', an Add-A-Ball version for Italy called 'Lucky Strike', a 4 player replay called 'Target Alpha', a 4 player replay game made only for France called 'Canada Dry', and a 2 player replay called 'Solar City'.

The designer is credited for 6 machines, but it's the same design, just different themes.
Hell, I still get a fizz out of these old stories because the present is so disappointing to me as far from real break throughs in design and originality. We sell themes now, not game designs, and as far as the amusement coin operated business is concerned, it seems to be limping to an end at least in creativity and innovations. So, I continue to work in and with what remains of it, - I am watching closely for all the possible outcomes and will report accordingly for those who give a shit about what brought all of this on and altered our essentially meaningless lives.
[/quote]

I tend to disagree on this. Yes, the pinball machine has evolved over time and licensing is a huge thing nowadays. The Pioneers brought some great innovations in the golden age of pinball, and the electronic boards brought them to another level. It's like cars, there are many classics for style, design and horsepower (at the time), newer cars may not have the eclectic designs of yesteryear, but they are faster, more stable and, for the most part, more reliable. Let's not bash the modern pinball machine (1990-today) for poor designs due to licensing....to each his own. :)

it's called the pinexpo in chicago. And you get to meet them ( the designers, the artists, the programmers, etc.) in person and they are all really generous and nice.

Do yourself a favor and plan a trip if you never did. it is worth it.
I second this statement. Awesome time and the all-nighter hall are well worth it....as long as you don't fall asleep. :lol:
As the picture was probably taken when I met mrhide for the first time, I will refrain from answering. :)

Keep in mind that most of the people on these pics have passed away... :( Glad to hear that Wayne is still around...at 102...wow!
+++++++++++++++++
Welcome to...Frosken Pinball!

Current working Pinball Machines: ONE...err...TWO!!! :rock :rock (Bally Black Jack SS, Capcom Flipper Football #2)

Current Arcade1UP Machine: Final Fight (pending pickup...down South)

After a 8-year hiatus, I'm back in the hobby...but with a thinner wallet. :lol:

Wanted: The impossible... (i.e.: a 1990-2020 pinball machine priced like they were in 2005-2010...) :FP: :FP: :FP:

Gone but (mostly) not forgotten:
- Bally: Nitro Ground Shaker, City Slicker
- Bally/Williams: Black Rose, BS Dracula (x2), CFTBL, Dirty Harry, Getaway(HS2), Indy500, Judge Dredd, Shadow, Slugfest
- Capcom: Breakshot, Flipper Football
- Gottlieb: El Dorado, Big Shot, Bounty Hunter (project), Gold Wings (Project)
- Stern: Big Game, Cheetah, Meteor (x 1.5)
- Williams: Big Guns, F-14 Tomcat, Fire!
- Misc.: Hit The Ice non-dedicated, Hyper Olympics non-dedicated cocktail, Chexx Bubble Hockey

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 26 times

Post by mrmikeman »

R.A.B. wrote:

Hell, I still get a fizz out of these old stories because the present is so disappointing to me as far from real break throughs in design and originality. We sell themes now, not game designs, and as far as the amusement coin operated business is concerned, it seems to be limping to an end at least in creativity and innovations.

Robert (rab)
Hey Robert,

Usually love your rambles/rants but I have to respectfully agree to disagree with the above statement. While we are seeing so much focus on theme I do believe we are still seeing tons of innovation but most folks are blind to it because they don't like the theme.

Let's keep in mind there is a limit to what a designer can envision. It has to remain within the confines of the machine. Just like in the good old days. There was a lot of experimenting of course with 2,3,4 flippers at the bottom, different bottom layouts. We don't see those anymore because they don't really work.

Designers are pushing the envelope with the technology of the times, just as the old designers were pushing designs with the technology of THAT time. Also, it's not always about getting/designing a new mech. Layout can be ingenious too. Coding as well. Software is an integral part of designing games. If they had had software back then they would have found original ways to program games. We ignore it as matter of fact but really coding is a major contributing factor of games of the 21st century

Some interesting features just in my lineup:
Dynamic captive balls (in different ways with control room and raptor pit)- JP
Animated projection onto ramps and targets that change to represent what you are shooting at and where you are at - Stranger things
Outlanes that afford you the opportunity to win your ball back (not a ball save, you have to work for it) - WOZ
A flying monkey that captures your ball and takes it to the castle - WOZ
4 ramps on a playfield that has NONE blocking the view of the player - JP
A toy trex that places itself on a ramp, gobbles up your ball, then flings it anywhere in the game (probably most interactive toy yet in a pinball) - JP
A vertical magnetic lock - never been done before - Stranger Things
Using color changing lights to represent different things on same inserts on the pf

These are just some cool innovative features on my games. I know there are many more!!

I do believe that non licensed themes are pretty much dead but that doesn't mean that innovation is too. The re-hashing of the same tired stories and themes is a reality of today's society, not just in pinball.
Last edited by mrmikeman on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
PINS:
Medieval Madness Royal Edition - Stern HD Glass, Mods: Merlin
Jurassic Park LE (#449) - Pinstadiums, Stern topper & amber shooter, mods: realistic Trex skin, signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE (#612) - mods: witch, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, ramp sign, Munchkin huts, lit drop target, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades, Gouveia witch 2.0 (coming soon)
Stranger Things LE (#016) - Stern topper, shooter & UV kit
Star Wars Prem (Arriving very soon) - Stern Topper, Shaker, HD Glass, Mods: Mirror Blades, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing, speaker upgrade, SW Armor (Yoda)
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD

Looking for:
Vewlix cab

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel.
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke - Hooked up to the Seeburg Entertainer speakers.

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

cap
MAACA Millennial
Been liked: 2 times

Post by cap »

Multimorphic proposes the most innovation and is not proving to be that popular because of theme and price. The crane in Heist is also a contender for the most interactive toy yet.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

Multimorphic is so damn cool I hope more people get into it.
WANTED: Jezzard Mini Cascade, 21 by Duval / Klix by Groetchen etc, Steeple Chase (Kaye, Irving & Co) / Skill Horses / Skill Jump (Groetchen)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

paidge wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:33 am
Mrhide wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:56 am
Boom Boom Geoffrion, Doug Harvey, Jacques Plante et Dickie Moore.

HAHAHAHA !! :prayer :bienvenue :tescon

semicolin
MAACA Millennial
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by semicolin »

Finishing touches on the apron.

Meteor originally had these PAA decals, and they were attached with solvent-based adhesive. Woe befell anyone who ever removed one, as the distinctive Stern 'swirl' would come up with it. In my case, it was an ugly smear.

I bought a waterslide decal to redo the whole apron a couple of years ago, but the project sat in the corner. A helpful pinsider reproduced the PAA decal last year and I jumped on the chance. Now I can keep the original apron without completely refinishing it.

If anyone in Ottawa needs an orange Stern apron decal, let me know.
1C56978E-C7F6-46F2-B722-5C0156C89E25.jpeg

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

frosken wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:24 am
As the picture was probably taken when I met mrhide for the first time, I will refrain from answering. :)
la première peut-être mais pas la deuxième avec Python ... my favorite Expo moment was playing with Koi @ Bride of pinbot with Python watching us and slapping Koi silly when he missed the big shot...

RIP Python.

frosken
MAACA Buck

Post by frosken »

Mrhide wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:18 am
frosken wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:24 am
la première peut-être mais pas la deuxième avec Python ... my favorite Expo moment was playing with Koi @ Bride of pinbot with Python watching us and slapping Koi silly when he missed the big shot...

RIP Python.
...which explains why Koi walks like "that"... :lol:

Took the time at my last Chicago Expo (2008) to meet Python and get my Flipper Football flyer signed. No, he didn't mention Zingy Bingy and he looked surprised that someone liked FF...

I miss that show...maybe time to plan on attending the next one. It will never match the shows that were at the Ramada Inn next to the airport with the "Pageants" and the rundown hotel rooms (hotel has since been demolished), but it's an awesome time! :)

Do you still have all your pics mrhide? :)
+++++++++++++++++

Current working Pinball Machines: ONE...err...TWO!!! :rock :rock (Bally Black Jack SS, Capcom Flipper Football #2)

Wanted: The impossible... (i.e.: a 1990-2020 pinball machine priced like they were in 2005-2010...) :FP: :FP: :FP:

- Bally/Williams: Black Rose, BS Dracula (x2), CFTBL, Dirty Harry, Getaway(HS2), Indy500, Judge Dredd, Shadow, Slugfest
- Misc.: Hit The Ice non-dedicated, Hyper Olympics non-dedicated cocktail, Chexx Bubble Hockey

frosken
MAACA Buck

Post by frosken »

...and since nobody answered, the 1st pic:

To the best of my knowledge (not 100% sure with the first one), left to right:

Edward Krynski, Wayne Neyens, Norm Clark, Steve Kordek
+++++++++++++++++

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

we have a wiener! (and yes all pics)

frosken
MAACA Buck

Post by frosken »

:bananadance
+++++++++++++++++

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 39 times

Post by R.A.B. »

I didn’t think that a simple & casual mid evening post on my part would generate such extensive and carefully written detailed responses.

And, no, I am not referring to you MrHide. :lol: Crazy Phil with his pictures of rock stars. :roll:

At Pinball Expo 88 I heard Richard Bueschel call Donald Hooker the rock band, and then told him that we were the groupies. Mr.Hooker who was nearing 90 had no idea what we were talking about, and so yes MrHide, the song remains the same.

Back to the OP and its responses.

The brothers make good points about the evolution of innovation and how the changing technologies have opened up new possibilities, and yes, I agree that the drive to innovate is essentially the same regardless of the technologies available. That is what I wanted to explore by asking myself what makes a 17 year old latch on to an old game with obsolete technology and no commercial theme except for a pretty lady on the backglass and a "play it again Sam" playfield design.

20200910_173343.jpg

And the fact that he keeps wanting to try “one more game” of Wayne Neyens personal favorite makes me wonder what is the essential quality that captivated this youth’s attention for so long as well as that of a man of 102 who talks affectionately about that very same game to this day. WTF

The previous weekend Louis and I were at the North Star where he played Led Zeppelin, Ninja Turtles and Guns and Roses while I fixed similar era pinball machines. He then was asked to rate them in order of preference and Led Zeppelin was third, Guns & Roses second and you guessed it, the theme he liked the most made his number one choice. That is fine and in tune with his time and he will forget about Led Zeppelin by next week, yet the Queen of Hearts is now being talked about to his friends at school because it isn’t like anything he has ever played before, and neither was Led Zeppelin for that matter, so go figure what sticks regardless of technologies, - fun matters. My son has had pinballs in his room since the age of 2-1/2, and again contrary to me, he can figure out any rule set rapidly which proves once again that you can not overload youth.

I may have gone slightly off the rails at the very end of my original post. I tend to do that before bed in order to get the bugs out of my brain after dealing with so many new pinball experts at work, forgive me, it makes for better sleep, and we all need better sleep to be nice people. I work hard daily at being nice. Regardless, my type of “on the ledge” statements will incite more conversations and laughs on the forum than posts about high resolution scorecards, augmented resolution and digitally remastered print outs of other people's work which can easily be mistaken for innovation in our day & age, especially by the g(r)eeks. Somebody should tell them that there is nothing new under that Mediterranean sun.

My being inspired by the life & work of one enduring man within the pinball machine industry of the 20th century does not qualify anything I say about new machines as true. I am not bashing them, I just don't like them. And as frosken wisely stated in his detailed post “to each his own'', likewise, I had said that at the end of my bottle of wine last night, and I quote myself for clarity, “Ah hell Rowbear, speak for yourself.” So I get it and agree.

Personally, I am especially disinterested by what the mainstream manufacturers have done to the game of pinball, not necessarily at what they are producing with the available technologies and those commercial themes. Simple can be fun, but simplicity does not attract much attention these days unless you are a monk. And yes, I prefer easy to understand objectives when playing pinball, I don’t want to plan or think too much about rules, and I am not impressed by new techno gadgets that are here today and replaced so fast by a tomorrow that seems unusually nervous for change and demanding us to follow like drunken monkeys. Yes, I know that hype and technology sells along with recognizable themes aimed at demographics with disposable incomes. Endurance and quality have gone to the back of the building folks and as always, marketing teams are glad to have these things off to the side in order to dazzle you with toys and light shows of the highest order. They know that there is a lot of impatient and stupid money out there and some companies are working extra hard at figuring out how to get a bunch of it, and pinball is the latest cool commodity, I see it everyday. To be able to sell one of these contraptions and have people pay for it up front without even playing it for themselves first is also something I can’t wrap my head around, but I have seen it happen more times than I care to remember.

And while the more seasoned players will look at the rule set, the gadgets and watch youtube videos before deciding to make the purchase, this may well distinguished them from the casual player who likes the theme and doesn’t feel he needs to study every mode and shot and changes to the code in order to enjoy that game & have fun. Most of us who enjoy a game of pinball here and there have stuff on our minds to let go of, especially these days. We do not need to acknowledge more rules while being entertained. Again, this is speaking for myself, (who the hell else would I be speaking for ? :lol: ) it becomes too specialized for me to figure out what to do on games beyond Space Shuttle. I guess I could figure out the ruleset of newer games given the time, but why bother if I find it cumbersome to manage when playing for pure entertainment. I am not sure what all this babble means for the majority of us who are not interested in gadgets & hype disguised as innovation, because hype is made to feel like a truth that is so far gone these days, - what good could does it really do vis a vis the actual game play ?

Virtual Hugs,

Robert (rab)
Last edited by R.A.B. on Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Gottlieb 1973 "Hot Shot" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza" - Gottlieb 1977 "Golden Arrow"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the last stages of life.

I always preferred the exceptional qualities quietly lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. But now, our meaningless day to day is promoted into the realm of the extraordinary via a world wide web of self-promotion mostly fueled by the new dumb. Add to that a saturation of information rendering the ability of the masses to react, think & follow through with real action even more unlikely.

"Some things are too hot to touch, the human mind can only stand so much - you can't win with a losing hand. " - Zimmy

"Ah...., you god damn writers, never a good word for anything. No one really knows what you will say or do next since all the truth in the world just adds up to one big lie from where you spew out your madness." My Alter Ego.

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by WARLOCK »

Robert,

You have almost inspired me to respond at length; but I will leave it at Aristotle to Space Shuttle as you so say...
Wayne was the rockstar at pinball design long before most of us knew "what was what" and Steve brandished the modern torch.

Still dwelling on and working on 1934 to 1984... despite the glam of having a whack of 1985 thru 2017 still...
Much like cars, guitars and pinball: if they ain't "vintage" and 35+ and well aged, I will appreciate them less and from a distance.

Keep it up my friend. Cheers, Salut.
All the very best. Looking forward to more soon.

Scott

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by OTTOgd »

R.A.B. wrote:
Last week I called 102 year old Wayne Neyens who worked at Gottlieb for the majority of his amazing productive life. 159 of his game designs went into production at Gottlieb during the golden age of pinball from the late 40's to the 60's. ...

Robert (rab)
Wow, that's cool that you actually speak to the pinball legend. Many of Wayne Neyens games are awesome. Sadly, I have yet to play Queen of Hearts (however, still not a big gobble-hole fan, especially after owning '53 Quintette! Grrrr) but love having his '49 K. C. Jones. What a simple challenge but greatly rewarding fun ... if you can nudge well without tilting! I still have a Paul Bunyan that I have yet to shop and/or play; ugh.

Great reads as usual, Row-bear. Thanks.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

Well not really related to this hobby but a very close cousin:

I picked up, with el papa and el brotha, a Hammond R-100 Rhythm 2 Organ from the 70's this week. Park ex, 390 pounds, third floor. :FP: ... but free ! "aka you couldn't pay someone to move it".

Funny thing, I am looking at this thing in marvel and seeing a bunch of things and connectors that I know. Hell it even smells like pinball...then I see that the Hammond Organ company was ... in Melrose Park, Ill.

This thing, with its Leslie rotating speaker is really cooooool! :punk

Sparky
MAACA OG
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Sparky »

Mrhide wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:19 am
Well not really related to this hobby but a very close cousin:

I picked up, with el papa and el brotha, a Hammond R-100 Rhythm 2 Organ from the 70's this week. Park ex, 390 pounds, third floor. :FP: ... but free ! "aka you couldn't pay someone to move it".

Funny thing, I am looking at this thing in marvel and seeing a bunch of things and connectors that I know. Hell it even smells like pinball...then I see that the Hammond Organ company was ... in Melrose Park, Ill.

This thing, with its Leslie rotating speaker is really cooooool! :punk

.... si tu n'as pas de frissons en écoutant ceci, tu n'es pas Québécois. LOL

NOTE: On regarde les séries chez PHIL!!! LOL
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

so wait North Star has GnR and LZ and TMNT and QoH????
I can't get my vaccinations fast enough....

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

Last steps: Repaired the coin door that some idiot put a doorbell into, and put the playfield into the machine. Almost done now… just have to reinstall the knocker, polish the glass, replace beerseal, clean up the mess on the floor, and play a few games!
56417FDA-1573-4C09-ABA8-225B4A5BDF7E.jpeg

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Fifty »

semicolin wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:32 pm
Last steps: Repaired the coin door that some idiot put a doorbell into, and put the playfield into the machine. Almost done now… just have to reinstall the knocker, polish the glass, replace beerseal, clean up the mess on the floor, and play a few games!

56417FDA-1573-4C09-ABA8-225B4A5BDF7E.jpeg
It looks beautiful Colin! Well done sir!

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

I wish I had a few more before picture, but they were all lost when my phone had the snowblower accident. Oops!

I'll be taking an inventory soon to get rid of some of the excess parts that I no longer need around. I have a most of a classic stern coin door, an apron decal, and a couple of incomplete plastic sets (one of which smells really poo-ey after coming back from scanning at CPR).

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”