What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 222 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by mrmikeman »

mrmikeman wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:00 pm So today i continued (albeit unsuccessfully) to chase down a short in my EM. Was intermittent now unplayable. Can’t score 1000 pts it shorts out. I have ruled out the pf as the short is still there with the pf disconnected.

It’s not a score reel coil (shorts on all 4 players) nor is it the chime unit since it’s electronic sounds and i disconnected that board to be sure.

It’s down to the scoring motor(cab) or the player unit(head). Maybe something for next weekend. I have already gone over the pf and cab switches and relays as part of my restoration. Head was left but the game was playing well up to now.
Well I've progressed (and fixed other issues along the way). Scoring motor fixed and no longer slips (clutch). Player 4 1k reel wouldn't reset but worked fine in game(improperly gapped reel switch). Had partial reset issues now fixed too(broken solder joint on reset relay #1).

The short is definitely in the wire bundles that go to the score reels. By wiggling them a bit the game now works but I can still see all the lights dim when 1000 pts gets scored so the short is still somewhat there, just not enough to prevent the game from working.

Also found another issue while test playing. Player 4 does not advance the 100,000 reel when the 10,000 reel advances from 9 to 0 but does advance when I trigger the 100k relay. It's not the "9" switch on the 10,000 reel that's the problem.
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
MultiMorphic P3 with all 7 current modules + all mini-games currently available
Star Wars Prem
Star Trek the Next Generation
Lady Luck (Recel) (in winter storage)
Gtb Pro Football (in winter storage)

Incoming: Looney Tunes, Princess Bride (P3 module)

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC *SOLD PP

MISC:
Aristocrat Shuffle Alley (in winter storage)
Custom built mini Virtual Pinball

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke. *FOR SALE - $1400

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

steamfitter
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by steamfitter »

Today I used old pinball side rails for the bottom of my final lap. Just need to put a few more holes and nails .
Attachments
20220709_131905.jpg
20220709_133739.jpg
Pins: Black Hole , Lightning , Future Spa, Pink Panther
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Arcade: hang on , space invaders 412 in 1
Projects : seeburg LPC-1 , Excalibur

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

steamfitter
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by steamfitter »

I just picked this up for the corners.
Thanks for the tip.
Attachments
16574024749399019529208228225540.jpg
16574023247706160134419592467224.jpg
20220709_143410.jpg
16574022113156376816864513957815.jpg
Pins: Black Hole , Lightning , Future Spa, Pink Panther
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Arcade: hang on , space invaders 412 in 1
Projects : seeburg LPC-1 , Excalibur

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

It lives!!.....sure one drop target is a different colour but I'll take that anytime.
Made a row of cocktails down the middle of the mancave.
Attachments
20220709_215002.jpg
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

I gathered all the evidence of the Sea Avenger pinball machine from 1976/1977...
http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2022/ ... nball.html

You haven't heard of Sea Avenger before? I don't think it ever made it past prototype. Probably for good reason!! I won't spoil the surprise, so click the link.
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Sparky 2.0 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:20 pm
Guard wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:35 pm It lives!!.....sure one drop target is a different colour but I'll take that anytime.
Made a row of cocktails down the middle of the mancave.
I gotta come play this game soon!!!
Interesting game....goal is to get the 4 drops down to double and triple bonus but most of the lanes that sparingly give you bonus also spring a target back up.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Playr_Juan
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Playr_Juan »

joining the hobby thread.
what did I do in the hobby? :)
well in the last 3 weeks, sold a game to finance another, had the game shipped across the country to me, met a new pinhead whom I had been chatting with for months and helped me get this game home safely. Thanks Saltimbanco!
The game is now home and has been home for over 1 week, fully shopped since I got it and already put over 100 plays on it :)

So this week was all about getting it all dialled-in to my taste and learning the rules.

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Playr_Juan wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:48 am joining the hobby thread.
well in the last 3 weeks, sold a game to finance another, had the game shipped across the country to me, met a new pinhead whom I had been chatting with for months and helped me get this game home safely. Thanks Saltimbanco!
The game is now home and has been home for over 1 week, fully shopped since I got it and already put over 100 plays on it :)

So this week was all about getting it all dialled-in to my taste and learning the rules.
Maybe you could tell us what the game is? :P
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *FOR SALE - $500 (in winter storage)

Gone but not forgotten
So many... CCrLE, WOZ ECLE, Stern POTC, Star Trek Pro, MMrRE, Stranger Things LE, Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

Playr_Juan
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Playr_Juan »

mrmikeman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:22 am

Maybe you could tell us what the game is? :P
No, it is a secret!
:)
I got Led Zeppelin Premium, awesome flow and speed!!!

Playr_Juan
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Playr_Juan »

Sparky 2.0 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:05 pm

Well, welcome! But beware, the sickness never stops at 1 game. LOL
thanks, 1 game...? lol been at it for a while.
I will introduce myself later in the intro section, I had an account here before but I forgot my username and pass - not been here for close to 2 years - , so I created a new one with the username that most people know from the other forum - which I am no longer using -

Looking forward to this forum community for everything pin related in the Ottawa and MTL region. Thanks!

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

Sparky you're weird but you're our kind of weird. ;)

This book I spent 6 months contributing research for and will probably just be read by like 40 people in Japan is finally coming out
https://www.h-up.com/books/isbn978-4-588-21881-1.html

Now that's normal. ;)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

runpatboyrun
MAACA New Contributor

Post by runpatboyrun »

Today, I miss my machine as it had to go to the doctor, but I wanted to give a shout out to Rob at Pinball Medics in Montreal: he could have told me to buy parts for my machine (and I would have totally bought it based on his recommendation). But he look into it and provided a fix after I left my machine at the store while he was investigating further. THIS is how you build trust with customer. I appreciate this a lot. Thanks Rob!

MIkea
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by MIkea »

cait001 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:55 pm Sparky you're weird but you're our kind of weird. ;)

This book I spent 6 months contributing research for and will probably just be read by like 40 people in Japan is finally coming out
https://www.h-up.com/books/isbn978-4-588-21881-1.html

Now that's normal. ;)
Amazing! Congrats on getting published - an accomplishment in any country or language.

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Last edited by WARLOCK on Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sylvain »

I have been working crazy hours yet again at the office for the last few months,
therefore had very limited spare time for pinball repairs. Almost none.
I was very happy to be able to go & spend a couple hours at the Hawkesbury Flea Fair in early June,
kudos and thanks again to Chris and all who brought machines over there, well done and much appreciated !
I wish I would have been able to stay longer, alas work was calling.

Even though I 'had no time', I was happy to be able to 'sneak-in and fix' the following few games for people in the last few months. Fun stuff!
- Gottlieb Spirit of 76 (contacts tightening/adjustments, bulbs, a few lamp sockets, etc,)
- Williams Jungle Lord (shorted drive transistor, burned coil, burned flipper coil, wrongly adjusted flipper EOS, etc.)
- Gottlieb Target Alpha (needed many contacts adjusted, was missing a contact spacer on score motor switches stack, etc.)
- Gottlieb Surf Champ (did not work for over 30 years, many steppers were gummed-up; contacts tightened & adjusted, shopped with new rubber rings, bulbs, playfield cleaned & waxed, etc.)
- Bally Fireball (zipper-flipper had mechanical issues and prior hacks, had wrong zipper-flipper release coil, ball-serve half-moon needed adjustment, etc.)

Always great to see the owners' faces lighting-up with happiness and traveling back in nostalgic times when playing their game all fully working again ! And fun for me, I really enjoy doing quality repairs on machines during my limited spare time.

Thank God for Pinball / repairs for keeping some sanity outside the long high-tech work hours.
Happy flippin' !
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Fantastic
MAACA New Contributor

Post by Fantastic »

I too enjoyed the Hawksbury show. I met lots of great people and spent much of the day working on Nip-it. At the end of much effort we were rewarded with a working EM. Well, at least for a little while.

Since then I completed my own Surf Champ project, which included a crazy clearcoat job on the playfield. I had a surprise addition to the line up when a Black Jack crossed my path. Then I finished up a few repairs on Captain Fantastic after the playfield swap performed by Al Freud. Soon my EBD will be coming back from repair and detailing work done by Pinball Medics in Montreal, and I am saving a spot for a Flash Gordon being born again by Al Freud in TO.

It is a busy pinball summer.
Fantastic!

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Why can't I call the lotto numbers like this??

Doing a nice clean up and shop job on Tee'd Off as I'm thinking of listing it. While taking the centre ramp apart I said "this is just a trap for me to forget to put the captive ball back in"

Yup, called it perfectly.....
Attachments
20220722_175209.jpg

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

mrmikeman
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by mrmikeman »

Picked up the shuffle alley from Sparky. Of course I forgot all the bolts (there are lots). Ugggh. lol

Started cleaning the nicotine off. Stuff I got works ok. Doesn't remove all but much better anyway. It got the gunk off the stainless coin door pretty easily though.

Last pic is the front leg. On the left is cleaned on the right is not. They were both the same color before cleaning.
Attachments
51450D24-C8B3-41E5-A363-01DF76BA9786.jpeg
986323EF-D367-45B2-9FE8-A5C7E2C3BBE1.jpeg
14768BF9-1FFC-4580-880C-3072D0BA08F1.jpeg
5570F060-9E2A-4274-BE3A-9D603EF810A5.jpeg
PINS:
Labyrinth (#21)
Jurassic Park LE (#449)
JAWS Premium
Scooby Doo CE (#141)
Star Wars Prem

VIDS:

MISC:

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

Sparky 2.0 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:27 pm Well, I set up the Arena I picked up. Plays!! I did a spot test to see if I could remove the mylar from the playfield in order to touch it up. No bueno. It is pulling the art off.

So, either I leave the pf as is, I remove the mylar and try to recreate the art, or find an NOS playfield or overlay.

I will have to see.
It's an Arena, so I think it's fine to stay as-is unless you have some grand design for redoing it or the mylar is getting super messy.
Still a fun game!

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Sold a fellow his first two em project machines.....and his madness starts.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Love this thread. Always.
My last post. Cheers. Salut.

Available by PM or offline.
My friends all know how to reach me.

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Guard wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:23 pm Sold a fellow his first two em project machines.....and his madness starts.
Then managed to get him an awesome Hang Glider backglass for $40 just a few minutes from his house yesterday.....needless to say he's an extremely happy guy.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

I spent quite a while getting this together: http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2022/ ... se-tv.html

I have documented the arcade machines in 8 different Japanese TV shows, circa 1967-1979

ウルトラマン (Ultraman) episode 30 まぼろしの雪山 (aired 1967-02-05)
ザ・ガードマン (The Guard Man) episode 118 大泥棒一家 (aired 1967-07-07)
鴨川シーワールド (Kamogawa Sea World) (1972)
五番目の刑事第9話 (Fifth Detective Episode 9) (aired 1969-11-20)
特別機動捜査隊 (Special Mobile Investigation Team) episode 741 (aired 1975-11-12)
がんばれロボコン (Ganbare!! Robocon) episode 83 (aired 1976-06-25)
秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー (Himitsu Sentai Gorenger) ep 61 (aired 1976-09-18)
ザ・スーパーガール (The Super Girl, aired 1979-1980)

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

a book I did a huge amount of research for is now available:
ものと人間の文化史 188 玉ころがし by 杉山 一夫 (Cultural History of Things and Humans 188 Rolling Balls by Kazuo Sugiyama)
http://pinballnovice.blogspot.com/2022/ ... 88-by.html

get yourself some classic Meiji era arcade action! ;)
(not available in english)

fixed Kick Off and got it back in the lineup. My fading eyes are having a lot of trouble with switch gaps!
I continued my project on Japanese elecmeca arcade games, finishing up 1978 and moving on to compiling 1979.
and have been doing a lot of research on bagatelle history. Same ol' same ol'

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

will I ever assemble this model ? I don't know but it was too good to pass! ... and something you might enjoy cait001 ;)

IMG_2749c.jpg
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!