What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
cait001
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by cait001 »

semicolin wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 pm
but for all intents and purposes the hard work is behind us.
I've never seen someone so confident about Game Plan boardwork ;)

epic renovation, it looks amazing.
For everyone else, you can't see it the shots but to the left of the Street Fighter MAME is a Star Trip cocktail pin
playfield wanted: Dolly Parton
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 80 times

Post by Mrhide »

semicolin wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 pm

0CD9188A-2695-44AC-A33D-86357337D157.jpeg

still have some art to hang and a couple of paint touchups but for all intents and purposes the hard work is behind us.
NICE CARPET!! HOW MUCH !? WHERE?! :o
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

semicolin
MAACA Millennial
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 143 times

Post by semicolin »

Mrhide wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:18 am
Astro Carpet Mills. It ended up being a little over USD$700. Shipping and customs another $250-ish. Installer found on Kijiji, $500 or so.

All in all, the whole renovation was about $2500 once the lighting, paint, carpet, furniture, etc are all factored in. I also installed a Japanese bidet toilet on the floor above since I was opening the ceiling to pull wire anyway.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

the results are GREAT. Love it! Congrats!

ps: I have the same Ikea sofa bed that's taking all of my gameroom space ;)
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

Mrhide wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:43 am
ps: I have the same Ikea sofa bed that's taking all of my gameroom space ;)
I actually had to order the pink slipcover on ebay because it matches the decor better and it's been discontinued in Canada!

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

semicolin wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:38 am
I also installed a Japanese bidet toilet on the floor above since I was opening the ceiling to pull wire anyway.
If your gameroom ain't squirting yr toosh you're doing it wrong.

Seriously people, get one of those fancy bidets. 8-)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by mrmikeman »

semicolin wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:38 am
Mrhide wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:18 am
Astro Carpet Mills. It ended up being a little over USD$700. Shipping and customs another $250-ish. Installer found on Kijiji, $500 or so.

All in all, the whole renovation was about $2500 once the lighting, paint, carpet, furniture, etc are all factored in. I also installed a Japanese bidet toilet on the floor above since I was opening the ceiling to pull wire anyway.
Love the carpet/black light setup. Showed the GF. It's a no go. Damn.. Complex/busy patterns giver her headaches/issues. Kind of like strobing lights can make folks have seizures. I should have known. She can't VR either.

Oh well. At least she loves pinball lol :D
PINS:
Medieval Madness Royal Edition - Stern HD Glass, Mods: Lit Merlin
Jurassic Park LE (#449) - Pinstadiums, Stern topper & amber shooter, mods: Lior Trex skin, signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE (#612) - mods: Gouveia Witch 2.0, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, ramp sign, Munchkin huts, lit drop target, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades
Star Wars Prem - Stern Topper, Shaker, HD Glass, Mods: Mirror Blades, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing, speaker upgrade, SW Armor (Yoda)
Lord of the Rings - ColorDMD, Pinsound board, speakers, and headphone station, Shaker. Mods: Laser cut armor, POTD Ghosts, Powerbladez, LED backglass panel lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board, speakers, and shaker, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD, pinduino lighting on ramps and borg ship

VIDS:
Vewlix S 2-player: Running Emu PC / XBOX 1X / Nintendo Switch

MINI-VIDS(dedicated 1/6 scale):
Dragon's Lair
Asteroids
1942/1943
Q-Bert

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *Selling soon to make room. Don't need 2 jukes.
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

mrmikeman wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:44 am
Love the carpet/black light setup. Showed the GF. It's a no go. Damn.. Complex/busy patterns giver her headaches/issues. Kind of like strobing lights can make folks have seizures. I should have known. She can't VR either.

Oh well. At least she loves pinball lol :D
There comes a time in everyone's life when they need to make a choice...

cap
MAACA Millennial
Been liked: 16 times

Post by cap »

semicolin wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:05 pm
There comes a time in everyone's life when they need to make a choice...
You mean at the point when she says: "It's either it or me".
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

Spent a few hours screwing around with some Bally/Stern displays last night. Brought back two of them from the dead with a couple of transistors and a driver IC. Third one kicked my ass for a couple of hours... turns out that I hade a strip of counterfeit MPSA42 transistors. They test fine at low voltages, read as NPN on the tester, but when the base lead is properly biased there is almost no gain and no current flow.

And it's always fun contorting myself over a display that's powered up at high voltages probing around with test gear. No zaps though. (For today.)

I wish I knew where I bought the transistors. I've had them in my parts drawer for two or three years now so they really could be from anyone. They're the kind of thing that I just toss on the end of another order. I thought maybe AliExpress (I know) but the only time I ordered MPSA42 from there I disputed them as undelivered. Maybe they arrived anyway?

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

finding how pervasive counterfeit and shoddy components are in the supply chains fills me with low-level dread

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

Well, it’s not like it’s impossible to find other ones. Yet, anyway.

For that game plan repair, I needed MAN6660 7-segment LED displays. They haven’t been manufactured in years, and new LEDs are just put out so much more candela than older ones, and when you’re just replacing a single element it has to match. AliExpress had new old stock ones delivered to me in two weeks. Not counterfeit, not refurbished.

On another note… I’m a believer in trifurcon crimps now.
FD431D5F-C195-4796-B77F-9B27FE9D2AAE.jpeg

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by steamfitter »

Today I reassembled the head
Attachments
20210905_145609.jpg
20210905_145703.jpg
20210905_145722.jpg
Pins: Black Hole , Flash Gordon , Star Trek , Firepower , Jacks to Open, Flash
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

Installed engraved side armor from Pinball Center on my LOTR. Put orange reflective tape behind. The effect is awesome! Way better than I expected.

https://youtu.be/3sZXVX2nd9o
Attachments
04B03B2C-DD84-497C-824B-EC6C2FD57650.jpeg
0115F818-D590-46B2-9C79-5D11715D2025.jpeg
PINS:
Jurassic Park LE (#449) - Pinstadiums, Stern topper & amber shooter, mods: Lior Trex skin, signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE (#612) - mods: Gouveia Witch 2.0, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, ramp sign, Munchkin huts, lit drop target, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades
Star Wars Prem - Stern Topper, Shaker, HD Glass, Mods: Mirror Blades, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing, speaker upgrade, SW Armor (Yoda)
Lord of the Rings - ColorDMD, Pinsound board, speakers, and headphone station, Shaker. Mods: Laser cut armor, POTD Ghosts, Powerbladez, LED backglass panel lighting
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board, speakers, and shaker, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD, pinduino lighting on ramps and borg ship

VIDS:

Dragon's Lair
Asteroids
1942/1943
Q-Bert

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel. *Selling soon to make room. Don't need 2 jukes.

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Dr Who, RFM, SWEP1, Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

tom_454
MAACA Millennial
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by tom_454 »

My Xmen finally went to a new home yesterday so I had room to set up my last remaining folded pin - TFTC. Set it up today and despite being folded since May 2020 it played like a clock. First game I got to Crypt Jam and I have only ever done it twice before! It must have missed me. Played 2 more games and they sucked. Great game, looking forward to playing more as the fall sets in.
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

tom_454 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:26 pm
My Xmen finally went to a new home yesterday so I had room to set up my last remaining folded pin - TFTC. Set it up today and despite being folded since May 2020 it played like a clock. First game I got to Crypt Jam and I have only ever done it twice before! It must have missed me. Played 2 more games and they sucked. Great game, looking forward to playing more as the fall sets in.
Games are like that sometimes lol. My MMr which I play every GD day has been handing me my ass for months now. 3 days ago I walk downstairs after supper, decided to warm up with MMR as my games tend to be very short on this thing. The warm up game lasted about 45 mins. Not only did I win BFTK (1st time since Feb) but almost started it a second time on the same game. Go figure…

I just walked away after that - done for the day lol. Might as well end on a high note!
PINS:

VIDS:

Dragon's Lair
Asteroids
1942/1943
Q-Bert

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Sparky
MAACA OG
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Sparky »

I took apart 8 games and put in transport position. I now have to go over all my parts to see if I sell some.

Starting to look empty.
IMG_20210905_173834_129.jpg
Current: None.
Past: Too many.
Wanted: None.

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

Having an open door to my workshop didn’t fit the look of the arcade, so I dusted off the sewing machine and banged out some Japanese-style noren curtains.
5ABA3C4A-2021-478E-9260-D1FC0DC5D930.jpeg
38A5B067-0182-4EF1-A380-78BCF539C6CF.jpeg
9A6E0669-7428-4268-AB7A-29F05B5B12A2.jpeg

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

Finally finished installing the blacklight projectors and getting the other finishing touches in place. I think the arcade is finally done enough to give you all the video tour:

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

semicolin wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:01 pm
Finally finished installing the blacklight projectors and getting the other finishing touches in place. I think the arcade is finally done enough to give you all the video tour:
BAO!

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

Hey can you tell us more about the centaur art you got on the back wall?

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Post by Mrhide »

Hey can you tell us more about the centaur art you got on the back wall?

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

Paul Faris signed a set of prints of his Centaur and Xenon concept art a few years back and I picked them up!

Sparky
MAACA OG
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Sparky »

- 6 more pins out the door.
- One Final Lap is now at the Ecocenter. Kept all the parts. Good thing too... it was falling apart.

Down to 4 pins. Once the dust settles, I might bring that down further.

Vids are still plenty. I will assess what I do with them as well once I clean the basement up. The 2 Final Laps, Wizard of Wor, Space Attack, Mouse Trap and Subroc are not going anywhere. Stargate, Robotron, APB and others are in project stage. TBD.
Current: None.
Past: Too many.
Wanted: None.

semicolin
MAACA Millennial

Post by semicolin »

Wel, I finally put most of the finishing touches on a work colleague's 1979 Star Trek today. Everything is 100% except for a tricky stand-up switch gap and a display with a wonky "d" segment. Those new transistors from Marco finally arrived to replace the counterfeit ones I had. Display seems to work at home, so I'll see how things go at the other end.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”