What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by OTTOgd »

djsupermariobros wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:00 pm 3 days of pins and connector will watching smoky and the bandit 1-2-3- and cannonball run 1-2on the computor :D :shock:
Great, inspiring resto work and excellent movie reminder suggestions!

Unfortunately, I was working on something other than my games but recently enjoyed First Blood! Rambo is coming soon! Might follow up with ... gosh ... forget the movie name. Lemme ask sumbody ... ADRIAN? ... ADRIANNNNE???

dr.nybble
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by dr.nybble »

Getting near the end of a major project fixing up BSD. I rewired the entire playfield (yup that took a long time) everything on connectors and colour-correct wire. Redecaled the cabinet. Looked at the speaker panel figuring I'll just do a quick clean and install the new plastic and new Flipper Fidelity speakers. Ugh! Looks like a home-made MDF replacement (which is okay actually not perfect but works). WRONG lamp PCB! It has a 7 lamp board instead of a 3 PCB flasher. Not even sure what it does. Wrong fasteners, wrong spacers...all those parts available from Marco anyway.

There is a possibility I can get the right PCB, BestOfPinball in Germany has it but not currently in stock.
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

Busy weekend, and Monday for me.

My wife has been asking me to build her a trellis for our raised garden beds. I started building it, but noticed one side of the garden bed had rotted out. Rebuilt the side. Trellis is scheduled for tomorrow.

Our basement has been getting a pretty big makeover. Wall repairs, ceiling repairs, fresh coat of paint, new ceiling, new lighting. Finally got around to hanging a television in the basement. Hung it using a French cleat, build a small shelf for my son out of some leftover cedar decking. Just need a grommet to finish off the hole in the wall.
IMG_20200504_194907.jpg
The back room in the basement has been used for loose storage of pretty much everything. I want to turn it into a soldering/pin fix room so I removed everything from it. Walls were beat to hell and punched full of holes. 2 of the 3 outlets were so old (house was built in 1960's) that they had corroded and didn't work. A couple coats of putty, light sanding, and then painted to match the rest of the basement. All 3 outlets replaced. Still need to redo the ceiling and add different/more lighting, and paint the window(s) trim. I'll purge the storage items and put some things back into the room. Need to work out where my workbench will be located.
IMG_20200504_194838.jpg
IMG_20200504_194938.jpg
IMG_20200504_194946.jpg

Started cleaning out my gameroom. The idea is to fit pinball machines in here. I can probably fit 3, but I don't know if I'll ever get that many. Anyway, started selling off some of my non-nostalgic game items using eBay.
IMG_20200504_195016.jpg
IMG_20200504_195021.jpg
IMG_20200504_195026.jpg

Oh, and we got this guy a week ago. He's only 6 weeks old. We named him Leonardo DiCatprio, or Leo for short.
IMG_20200503_171945.jpg

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

Picked up a really nice Countdown today.
Attachments
20200508_160211.jpg
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Honey Badger
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Honey Badger »

Nice score Bruce, I was eyeing that myself!
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

Xylog
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by Xylog »

20200510_192147.jpg
It is a Good Day.
Flash Gordon, Genesis, RollerGames, Black Knight 2000,
Atlantis(Bally), Civic Center, Granny & The Gators, Expressway,
Flash Baseball, Time Machine, Badcats
LF: Bigger House

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Xylog wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 pm
Xlog in England.jpg
Xlog in England.jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
It is a Good Day.
Did you pick that up in England Rob ? The god-dam plunger is on the left, you know you are not suppose to travel like that for trivialities. :lol:

The other Rob
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

steamfitter
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 75 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by steamfitter »

Xylog wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 pm 20200510_192147.jpg

It is a Good Day.
Mousin Around won't be happy :FP:

Nice score
Pins: Black Hole , Lightning , Future Spa, Pink Panther
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Arcade: hang on , space invaders 412 in 1
Projects : seeburg LPC-1 , Excalibur

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

dr.nybble
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by dr.nybble »

I found that my BSD had an Addams Family lamp board in the speaker panel! I learned the basics of KiCad and created the right board based on a BSD #2 I have here. Sent to China for fabrication, $50 for 5 boards shipped.

I also paid more for Marco shipping than the parts cost ouch.
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

Xylog
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Xylog »

steamfitter wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:58 am
Xylog wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 pm 20200510_192147.jpg

It is a Good Day.
Mousin Around won't be happy :FP:

Nice score
Heard them fighting last night. True story.

Xylog
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Xylog »

R.A.B. wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:36 am
Xylog wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:51 pm Xlog in England.jpg
It is a Good Day.
Did you pick that up in England Rob ? The god-dam plunger is on the left, you know you are not suppose to travel like that for trivialities. :lol:

The other Rob
Driving across the pond was a challenge. You have to get your speed juuust right to get to truck to skip over the water.

And cats hate water. :)
20200511_020925.jpg

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

CRANK THEM UP AND LET THEM FIGHT!!!
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

World_of_Warships
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

I looked around for my next arcade and figured it could be Xevious or Battlezone... before remembering about a beat up Sinistar I used to play... Then I realized none of those must be easy to find or even fix, so I called it the day, still dreaming of a Tron pinball (or was it the original Tron arcade?)

Definitely a Tron pinball would work!

Xylog
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Xylog »

The other Rob
Hey wait a darned minute. "Trivialities?" Pinball ain't trivialities! :o

Fight me.

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

I picked up a decent condition Pike's Peak circa 1939-1941.
Problem is one of the internal metal bars is broken & missing.
It's a metal bar that would get pushed by the coin slide to let everything reset. Not super complex, but metal is not my forte at all.
Anyone have any experience working on metal levers? Maybe a local slot machine expert?
Willing to pay for your talents!

Everything else about it works great.
20200510_173314.jpg
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

R.A.B.
MAACA Mega Contributor
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 240 times

Post by R.A.B. »

Xylog wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:07 pm

The other Rob
Hey wait a darned minute. "Trivialities?" Pinball ain't trivialities! :o

Fight me.
LoL, congrats on the cat and mouse thang coming together side by side in your abode Rob.

Being a cat person myself, can't say this would necessitate any sort of dog fight on either side of that equation. :lol:

As far as the hobby pissing on my leg is relevant, I woke up this morning with the idea of heading out to my parts locker because I think that after two months of not messing with much pinball related stuff, I kinda mostly miss parts. So maybe I should have a look around at some stuff that I have already forgotten about in such a relatively short period of two months. After that proposition came forth in the A.M., I thought about pinball events and gatherings possibly being of the same nature on the " I miss you" scale for me. The last OPGS and Pincon @ the Oylmpia Bowl seemed to have occurred such a very long time ago, but that is not really true. Both were under a year ago, so why does it feel like so much longer than that ? I think that the latter question answers itself. It's like being married to a tax accountant, 6 months would tend to feel like 5 years.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=25426&p=216706#p216706 No way that was last summer.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=25716&p=219129#p219129 No tornado that time.

Well, no more cheek to cheek dancing, hugs and kisses with whoever you fancy anymore or even pinball tournaments for a long while yet, oh well. Methinks it's gonna be a cold pinball summer on the social side of things.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Fri May 15, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
https://amusement.evolvo.com/

Bally 1936 "Bumper" - North Star 1949 "Sea Breeze" - North Star 1950 "Richelieu" - Universal 1950 "Feature Bell" - Gottlieb 1952 "Queen of Hearts" - Williams 1960 "Ten Spot" - Gottlieb 1971 "Challenger" - Williams 1973 "OXO" - Bally 1976 "Bonanza"

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more. Un max de 10 machines, pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build that RRSP of memories in order to joyfully cushion the later stages of life.

Personally prefer the exceptional qualities lurking beneath any normal state of affairs. Alas, our day to day is being promoted as extraordinary via a world wide web largely fueled by the new dumb & followed closely by the latest breed of unscrupulous scoundrels & judas goats. So, god bless the fool hearted, the crazed, and the railroaded all in good measure for they will likely inherit what is left of the earth after the screwheads are done with it. God damn darwinian primates, why do they refuse to evolve, even after all we should have learned from being dumb savages for so long.

"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you, to be just like them. " - Zimmy

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Dave W. »

cait001 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:11 pm I picked up a decent condition Pike's Peak circa 1939-1941.
Problem is one of the internal metal bars is broken & missing.
It's a metal bar that would get pushed by the coin slide to let everything reset. Not super complex, but metal is not my forte at all.
Anyone have any experience working on metal levers? Maybe a local slot machine expert?
Willing to pay for your talents!

Everything else about it works great.

20200510_173314.jpg
That thing is cool. I had to watch a YouTube video to see exactly what it does. I Can't help you with the levers.... sorry

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

so annoyed to think that a tornado fucked up 2018's OPGS and now a pandemic is probably going to cancel 2020's....

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Nooooooooo.....

Here's to hoping its over and tons of folks want to come from all over to make up for the cancelled shows.

Enough money made to keep it going for years...
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

Dave W. wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:20 amThat thing is cool. I had to watch a YouTube video to see exactly what it does. I Can't help you with the levers.... sorry
If a rough/project Pike's Peak comes up for sale I'll probably be able to make mine near perfect.
In the meantime, I have it set for "novelty" play, which means you don't start a discrete game, the balls will just continually recycle. So, even though it's not 100%, I can definitely still play it.

Now I need to find a Zeke's Peak to pair with it... (Zeke's Peak is a rebranded Ice Cold Beer machine)

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Dave W. »

Guard wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:12 pm Nooooooooo.....

Here's to hoping its over and tons of folks want to come from all over to make up for the cancelled shows.

Enough money made to keep it going for years...
A few of us were talking about the shows lately. I didn't realize how much I liked them until they became impossible to do with the current pandemic.

I'm sure a lot of us will happily pull a pin out of our basement and bring it to a show once it becomes possible again.

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Guard »

Someone drive buy with a big enough truck and ill pull all 16 out of the garage....so easy when no stairs.
I hear you guys say "basement" and I cringe.... :mrgreen:

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cait001 »

Guard wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:57 pm Someone drive buy with a big enough truck and ill pull all 16 out of the garage....so easy when no stairs.
I hear you guys say "basement" and I cringe.... :mrgreen:
I'll say it again: If someone on Maaca is willing to fill a truck to bring pins to a future Ottawa show I'll happily pitch on the truck rental costs!

sylvain
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sylvain »

If and when a Pinball show is put together later when this dang pandemic eases-off (hopefully in 2020, or in 2021),
I would suggest that a donation bin for a charity be setup at the entrance, e.g. for all of us to donate food to a local food bank, etc.
as we pay our entrance fee and also set-up our machines. Just a way to give back to the community.

-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for 40+ years already.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

monkeybug
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by monkeybug »

I finally took the plunge into the colour dmd world with a pin2dmd for my MET. A local collector (Dino Z) is assembling these and at almost 1/3rd the price of a ColorDMD (after shipping, taxes etc...) it is well worth it. Now to decide the next machine to upgrade.

ps. Anyone need a nice Stern DMD? I have one that I no longer need.
Attachments
met_pin2dmd.jpg