What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Postby OTTOgd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:26 pm

sylvain wrote:Just finished repairing a hacked/basket-case 1978 Gottlieb Joker Poker for a MAACA member.

Awesome. One of the best pins made, imho.

Speaking of poker-themed games, last night I fixed a late '70's/early '80's Radio Shack/Tandy Draw Poker handheld game with a new FA-13 motor ($2.95 @ Sayal).

Royal Flush!
Attachments
20180316_174932.jpg
20180318_131231.jpg

dr.nybble
MAACA Mage

Postby dr.nybble » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Fired up my 1954 William's Spitfire for the first time since it has been torn down, cleaned etc. and put back together. First problem solved: the long spring on the 10,000 and 100,000 units were switched causing the 100,000 unit to not be able to reset. Next step is to install the playfield and see if it will reset.

This machine was absolutely filthy and has been completely disassembed and cleaned. Playfield touched up and clear coated. Cabinet stripped and repainted (that job to be finished when the weather warms up). I don't have the original legs and have failed to find a set of Williams' woodrail legs so I am having a set made!
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

semicolin
MAACA Barbarian

Postby semicolin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Oh my jesus. Just when you think you've seen it all. I have no idea how they get that bad in the first place.
Sharing my space with: Stern Meteor, Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Bally Centaur II, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:03 am

Picked up a very nice looking Volley that had been sitting for quite a while in an auto garage. Two contacts, a seized stepper, and 20 minutes later working like a charm.
Attachments
20180318_193127.jpg
PINS- Target Alpha/ Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Space Shuttle/Strange Science/Far Out/ Genesis/Bally Circus / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:09 am

Very nice. Great choice, and very good company for Target Alpha to sit next to her.
I loaned Brewmanager Volley in trade for OXO (which as many may know) is likely the only EM I don't own that I would do such a thing for; and Brewmanager, one of the few whom I would do this with.

Target Alpha is close by @ Bluffsy as a consolation, and yet I am in withdrawl without Volley around, as it is a staple in the herd.
Time to get Volley on legs at Brewmanager's next and pay her a visit to see if she plays more kindly there than @ my shop at Bluffs.

OXO and Golden Arrow are finally both up and on legs at Bluffs at the same time, which as many will know, is deliberate and overdue.
It has been a long while since the days of Pitt street that these 2 pin titles have shared the same space at the same time.

Very few of either title around even though neither is rare.
Congrats on Volley, a fan favourite.

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:52 am

Yes.....the Volley I almost rolled over 4 times in a practice game and the s#it my pants when it came time for the tournament game. :FP:
PINS- Target Alpha/ Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Space Shuttle/Strange Science/Far Out/ Genesis/Bally Circus / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

R.A.B.
MAACA Death Knight
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 pm

WARLOCK wrote:OXO and Golden Arrow are finally both up and on legs at Bluffs at the same time, which as many will know, is deliberate and overdue.
It has been a long while since the days of Pitt street that these 2 pin titles have shared the same space at the same time.

Very few of either title around even though neither is rare.

Indeed, these prized & personal machines were rarely all in the same space and set up and playing except back in October of 2013 at the Pitt street arcade room under my loft space where I spent many nights dreaming & conjuring up what was next in the crazy path I was on.

I have video to prove it, but for now watch for the two OXO's and the one Golden Arrow in the same space in the video clip below. Tough to spot the Bluffs "OXO", only see the edge of it for a second. There is one to the right of Golden Arrow and one to the left.

That very same "Golden Arrow" (in the vid & the pic below) is the one which my MAACA buddies bought for me on my 50th birthday. It is now being operated & enjoyed on Bishop Street in downtown Montreal, so a gift from 5 years ago is now being shared by a bunch of other guys like us whom we have never met.

20180224_161438.jpg
The Line up at Pistolero

Go figure, we are not alone in the games we play and there are many more strangers like us who might become friends through this marble game.

http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

redketchup
MAACA Death Knight

Postby redketchup » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:42 pm

Nothing like a rectifier board restoration!
Attachments
1DFB57A9-C208-47B2-84E4-3A8D9D473965.jpeg
2391CAEA-06F3-4277-B9D8-4FFF329C071D.jpeg
Bally Centaur, Fathom, Stern Big Game, Filght 2000, Quicksilver, Catacomb, Iron maiden, Stargazer, Viper, Nineball, Metallica Pro, Wurlitzer 700, 750e, Rockola 1428, seeburg HF 100R
To see it: http://www.pinballowners.com/redketchup

dr.nybble
MAACA Mage

Postby dr.nybble » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:57 pm

I've been working the gremlins out of Williams Spitfire for a few weeks -- after everything was torn down, cleaned, touched up, and put back together.

Things I've had to address:
- adjusting the return spring on the 100 stepper unit
- adding extra washers to one pop bumper's rods to stop it from plunging so far that it re-activated the spoon switch
- re-positioning the switch stack on the 500,000 relay since they were not centered causing the relay to not return to the de-energized position
- adding washers under the right flipper shoe so it didn't graze the playfield
- various switch adjustments where new rubbers were holding them closed

That's about it, things went very well considering where I started from and how much cleaning I did to the machine.

What's left?
- new set of legs being made by a carpentry shop in Ottawa
- finalized the graphics for the front of the machine, need to book laser cutting at the library to cut stencils
- finish painting the cabinet and lacquering the remaining wood rails once the weather permits!
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

Blackghost4
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Blackghost4 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:18 pm

Got my Gottlieb Swing Along finally fixed and working. Now working on my Williams Expo which is giving me some trouble.
But that's the fun part of this Hobby.
Attachments
20180325_084917.jpg
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980) Gottlieb Swing Along (1963) Williams Expo (1969)
Gottlieb Operation Thunder (1992) Gottlieb Bad Girls (1988)

Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:52 pm

Picked up a Touch Master 5000 from around the corner (North Bay) the other day. Pretty nifty fun!

Thanks, Robotronshaun!

20180324_205342.jpg

20180325_000735.jpg

shane
MAACA Mage

Postby shane » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Listed a woodrail on FB market place with intentions of listing on Jiji, and maaca as well.
Before I could I was contacted by someone I didn't know. Said he wanted the pinball machine.
I asked him if he collected, he said ya, 30+ in basement.
Holy Spirit, you must be on maaca I asked, ?
I founded maaca he replied! :FP:
So I got to meet Sparky today. So did both my boxers.
Charles Bronson and Otis Redding really liked him, so did I.
You're welcome back anytime dude. :D
Glad the old Woody's going to a good home.
Attachments
20180306_202234.jpg
20180306_202533.jpg
20180312_162715.jpg
Shane.

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:13 pm

Priceless
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:27 am

Sweet.

shane
MAACA Mage

Postby shane » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Azatotht wrote:Priceless

It was cool, even though I've been playing pinball for Almost 40 years and collecting only maybe 10, I'm still kinda feeling like a newbie compared to some of you folks.
People like Sparky, spacecadet28, Sylvain, Badger, Pinhead,Nick have all been very cool, helpful and welcoming to this fantastic hobby..
Oh, I can't forget Caitlyn as she's the first maaca member I met. Numerous others as well. :D This means you. Half the pins in my tiny house presently, ( 2 of 4 ) came from maaca members.
Meeting new people in the hobby I love that are as passionate about pinball as me reinvigorates my love for the game. :P
Going to do all I can to get to pincon this June! Work and family gettin in the way of my pinballin. :FP:
Shane.

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:38 am

Good to hear. Great people here.

Sparky
MAACA Dark Lord

Postby Sparky » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks to Farmboy for the heads up, I picked up a Dolly Parton today!!!!! Sah-WEEEET!

She looks good with a suoer nice bg and a pf that will clean up nice. A couple of bugs, nothing I can't handle... feature lights don't come on, right flipper chatters sometimes, needs new drop targets, and someone hacked the power supply. I will install a new ps board, new drops, check the bulbs and lamp driver and a good shop job and she will be ready to rock!

Really happy about this one... kinda needed it.
Now playing in Sparky's Power Station: Way too much shit...

WARLOCK
MAACA Death Knight

Postby WARLOCK » Tue May 01, 2018 11:06 am

Very nice Ian. Dolly and Future Spa restores in your ah, near future.
AC/DC Premium, Perky, Cleopatra EM, College Daze, Solar City and Snow Derby all aquired AND picked up.

Grappler, Big Hit, and Centaur II are all out the door and off to a better place to be enjoyed by the public.

Snow Derby on loan to Brewmanager for the freeplay floor at Allentown before it comes back home to Bluffs.
All my Allentown shopping is done in advance as I can't make it this year. I hope everyone enjoys the journey.

Thanks to everyone involved for this last journey. You all know who you are. Much appreciated...

sylvain
MAACA Death Knight

Postby sylvain » Wed May 02, 2018 9:48 pm

Finally getting to my 1965 Midway Play Ball arcade baseball game, purchased as a project 11 years ago.
Still needs quite a bit of work, a broken drop target to be re-welded, and de-hacking from the last few owners.

Noticed this interesting stamp inside the head, I was surprized to see Alouette as opposed to the usual Laniel...

UPDATE:
Interesting, Google found that Laniel was at that address in 1952 and 1959, see the two new pics below.

Cheers,
-Sylvain.
Attachments
DSCF0049.JPG
2.png
1.png
Last edited by sylvain on Thu May 03, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 am

What did I do today in the hobby? I prepared for Canada PinCon just like I did yesterday, the day before, the day before and the day before. Lol
Pins: Lightning, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Timeline, Silverball Mania
Vids: Double Dragon 619-1
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip
WTB: Punk!, Black Knight, Spirit, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball, Medusa
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Thu May 03, 2018 10:02 am

Chris Silver wrote:What did I do today in the hobby? I prepared for Canada PinCon just like I did yesterday, the day before, the day before and the day before. Lol

In your case the question should have been: "What are you doing FOR the hobby...".

You rock Chris, as simple as that. :merci
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

Postby Chris Silver » Thu May 03, 2018 10:15 am

Azatotht wrote:
Chris Silver wrote:What did I do today in the hobby? I prepared for Canada PinCon just like I did yesterday, the day before, the day before and the day before. Lol

In your case the question should have been: "What are you doing FOR the hobby...".

You rock Chris, as simple as that. :merci

Thanks but we need more pins. "Those are rookie numbers"! If nobody wants a convention that makes next year a lot easier. LOL
Pins: Lightning, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Timeline, Silverball Mania
Vids: Double Dragon 619-1
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip
WTB: Punk!, Black Knight, Spirit, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball, Medusa
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

OTTOgd
MAACA Grand Wizard

Postby OTTOgd » Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Helped my pal, Nick, put together his new Stern Iron Maiden LE today.

Have to say it's gorgeous (awesome Zombie Yeti!), sounds great (fav 'Run To The HIlls'!), and plays great! Lots to shoot for and great variety of ball movement. Repeat loops are tough and super-fast! Did too well on my first game. But then raised the rear legs and sped the gameplay up even more. Seems like an excellent pin. Almost as good as classic Sterns. :D

Game on!

IM_1_20180515_181530.jpg

IM_2_20180515_180409.jpg

Guard
MAACA Collaborator

Postby Guard » Tue May 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Picked up a Bally Beat The Clock that a lady just wanted rid of. Gave her $50 more then she was asking, as she kept it for me, even though I told her folks will be calling offering more then what we agreed on. She's happy because a camper just left it with her when he moved out and I got a unique project pin for $300.

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

uberhare
MAACA Barbarian

Postby uberhare » Sun May 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Played a few rounds with Chris Silver today! Wish we had more time, sorry I hogged Stargate on you I was having a killer game :) Nice meeting other pinheads and playing the silverball.
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Star Race, Stargate, Lucky Ace, Alien Poker
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”