What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by OTTOgd »

Sparky wrote:Rock on, bitches.
Cool. Make it a Rock Encore!

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Post by semicolin »

A little board work tonight. Damn, do I ever love this new desoldering/soldering station. It's making quick work out of what used to be a real pain in the butt.

Bally -35 MPU board had some crispy old single-wipe IC sockets causing intermittent crashes. Replaced them with proper tooled ones and resocketed the chips. Rock solid now.

Solenoid board got replacement capacitors while I was in there; the originals were still working but it was only a matter of time before I would have had to replace them anyway.

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Post by WARLOCK »

Every day...
Remarkable things...

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Post by WARLOCK »

I think I am retired.
And; also fully immersed.

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

WARLOCK wrote:I think I am retired.
And; also fully immersed.
We never retire. Merely refocus and realign. ;)
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Post by R.A.B. »

WARLOCK wrote:Every day...
Remarkable things...
Yes, everyday I see how beautiful and complex life and others are - respectively, or not.

Yesterday for example, I tripped around with my friend James and fixed stuff and laughed and told stories about people we knew or know while driving to the next job or destination. Everything that came to mind was chosen/spoken, from cooking lentils to fixing pinball machines to talking about growing up on the south shore of Montréal, everything carries meaning when you let it, but that necessitates slowing down Scotty. I know I hate the thought, but this is what we have come up against, slowing it down in order to live it. I don't want to either, but it beckons.

At night I head to the North Star to fix a few things, and met some more friends and talked about everything from dreams to new apps that are in the works, the future looks wild and my dreams keep being filled with ideas I have not yet written down yet.

So much to do and say. Our lives are like individual piles of earth in our hands, it slips through your fingers as you look for a place to put it down.

Rob
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. Some of us need something to do besides contemplate how important everyone has suddenly become in a world of exaggerated self-promotion upheld by the new dumb.

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Post by steamfitter »

Had bought some yellow LEDs for the inserts of my Mars God of War , more orange than yellow. Tried them in Devil's Dare , i like
Attachments
20181208_183928.jpg
Pins: Black Hole , Flash Gordon , Meteor , Star Trek
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , star trek , Black Jack , SEGA Space attack , meteorites

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Post by semicolin »

Replaced the 5101 RAM and battery in my Centaur and Tag Team with NVRAM from Pinitech. Don't know why I didn't do it a long time ago. Inexpensive mod and light years more reliable.

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Post by steamfitter »

Brought back from the dead
An other one get to live
Attachments
20181210_112518.jpg
20181210_112620.jpg
20181210_112506.jpg
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , star trek , Black Jack , SEGA Space attack , meteorites

Xylog
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Xylog »

Very nice! I'm in the process of restoring a Bally Vector & a Mr. & Mrs. Pacman. Got them both breathing, now onto the detail work... :)
steamfitter wrote:Brought back from the dead
An other one get to live
Flash Gordon,Pinbot,Mr. & Mrs. Pacman,RollerGames,
Black Knight,Black Knight 2000,Atlantis(Bally),Civic Center,
Jungle Lord,Granny & The Gators, Expressway,Flash Baseball
Mousin' Around,Badcats
LF: Bigger House

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial

Post by steamfitter »

Postby Xylog » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:33 pm
Very nice! I'm in the process of restoring a Bally Vector & a Mr. & Mrs. Pacman. Got them both breathing, now onto the detail work..

:thumbup
if you need something let me know

dr.nybble
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by dr.nybble »

Stripping down a BSD, my most complete cleanup on a DMD machine thus far. Washed all PCBs. The MPU board has seen some work quite a few chips socketed and still some remnants of battery leakage; bit of fur on some leads. Thinking about replacing with a Rottendog to avoid the inevitable issues that are going to crop up. Also pulled all fuses, for $15 from digikey I can replace them all (spot checking found several wrong/over-fused).
White Water ~ Black Rose ~ Monopoly ~ DE Star Wars ~ Top Score ~ Heat Wave ~ Gay '90s ~ Dungeons & Dragons ~ Spitfire

Tuborg
MAACA Motormouth

Post by Tuborg »

@ the PHOF I played the game Sparky wished he had in his collection, "Merry Christmas Sparky" :twisted:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UW2Pwk4cjjxC692X7

Sparky
MAACA OG

Post by Sparky »

Tuborg wrote:@ the PHOF I played the game Sparky wished he had in his collection, "Merry Christmas Sparky" :twisted:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UW2Pwk4cjjxC692X7
LOL... your first post in 4 years and you "clown" me.

Welcome back! LOL.

(I still have Viking. ;) )
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Post by OTTOgd »

Pins prices have been going WAY up so I'm extra careful with my addiction to fun. But I splurged on another. :oops:

He didn't shop it out for me but yet another big thanks to Jay/'Slacker' for being helpful and awesome. And big thanks to his Jenn's super badges!

Uh oh, my Spidey-sense is tingling! Time to have a beer and clean up another silver ball, web-heads! Well, four white and one black balls.

Game on!
20181215_011547.jpg
20181215_011824.jpg

mdeslaur
MAACA Buck

Post by mdeslaur »

Fixed a Tron boardset and a Ms. Pac-Man board.

Dave W.
MAACA Half-ling

Post by Dave W. »

Previous owner put the wrong stand up targets on my WCS. Finally got around (after 3 years) to installing the correct ones. Added decals for a bit of punch.

Before:
20181220_192106.jpg
After:
20181221_153204.jpg

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

Tore down Bridge Ball and fixed a bunch of stuff and took archival photos.
WANTED: 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, 1984 Taito Zeke's Peak, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Blackghost4
MAACA Buck

Post by Blackghost4 »

Thanks to Pinballmafia for fixing my boards. I now have my Gottlieb Genesis and Bad Girls working. Great Pins.
Attachments
DSC_4188.JPG
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980) Gottlieb Bad Girls (1988) Gottlieb Genesis (1986) Gottlieb Force II (1981)
Gottlieb Card Whiz (1976) Gottlieb Striker (1982) Gottlieb Robo-War (1988) Gottlieb Sinbad (1978)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968) Fascination Circa 1933 (1979 cocktail pinball)
Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Gottlieb Operation Thunder, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

sylvain
MAACA Wacko

Post by sylvain »

Just started working on my project Playmatic Space Gambler, 10 years after purchasing the game as-is. Time flies, busy.
Machine boots now and goes in attract mode, but cannot start a game. Yet.
It will be a challenging repair, as it was their first solid state game and there is very little info on these games on the internet.
The service manual and schematics are at least available...

Merry Christmas everyone!

Cheers,
-Sylvain.
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

tom_454
MAACA Half-ling

Post by tom_454 »

Well, last Xmas I had a few friends over to play pinball and dinner. We went upstairs after pinball and drinks to eat our meal and then came back to play some more - we were met by the smell of electrical burning. We determined it was STTNG so we turned it off and kept playing. After many months I finally got around to trouble-shooting. It turns out a transistor had shorted (Q16) the auxiliary power driver board and caused a diverter coil to lock on - melted the coil sleeve real good.
That troubleshooting took place in June. So I finally got around to ordering the parts in November. Figured it was time to finally do some board work - I was pretty nervous so I decided to buy a Haku desoldering iron - what an awesome tool!

Anyway, to make a long story short - I was done my Xmas shopping and decided that today was the day. So here we are STTNG lives again - working 100%. While I was at it I took Menace's advice over on Pinball Revolution I did the tie-back mod as well. Though I don't think that was the cause of my issue because my tie-back wire was soldered and it had connectivity all the way to the board.

After almost a year I am going to enjoy a beer while playing STTNG and kicking some Borg-but!

Merry Xmas everyone!
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Guard »

Got amazed at what can be fixed by just reseating the connecters on an SS game.
PINS- Hit The Deck/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/Spirit of 76/Card Whiz/ Genesis / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/ Stern POTC/Genie/ Victory/Countdown/Shaq Attaq
Projects- Jacks Open /Stratoflite/ Jolly Roger/ Hang Glider
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Guard »

Got amazed at what can be fixed by just reseating the connecters on an SS game.
PINS- Hit The Deck/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/Spirit of 76/Card Whiz/ Genesis / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/ Stern POTC/Genie/ Victory/Countdown/Shaq Attaq
Projects- Jacks Open /Stratoflite/ Jolly Roger/ Hang Glider
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Post by cap »

tom_454 wrote:I was pretty nervous so I decided to buy a Haku desoldering iron - what an awesome tool!
A desoldering iron is on my wish list, probably for next year. Which model did you buy?
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Post by semicolin »

I have one of these and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's not top notch but for the price it does a very fine job. https://www.amazon.ca/Aoyue-Function-So ... B009Q5ZH58

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”