What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Postby OTTOgd » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:11 am

Guard wrote:Packed up the projects to make room for maintenance and wood stove season out here....

Too hot. Warmth is overrated in Canada. Inserts are gonna lift.

But, whatever, how much for the chair? Trade for a Williams EM???

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Guard » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:30 am

OTTOgd wrote:
Guard wrote:Packed up the projects to make room for maintenance and wood stove season out here....

Too hot. Warmth is overrated in Canada. Inserts are gonna lift.

But, whatever, how much for the chair? Trade for a Williams EM???

The ugliness is what makes it awesome....like Fraser's Dad's chair in that show.
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Buccaneer/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Pat Hand /Strange Science/Card Whiz/ Genesis/Jolly Roger / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco/ Stern POTC
Projects- Jacks Open /Stratoflite/ Tri Zone/ Hang Glider
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Postby WARLOCK » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:31 pm

I snuck out from work today. ( I am the boss so I know.)
I went over to my other shop. I played one game of Star Trek LE.

I played "mediocre".
More Monday...

shane
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby shane » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:11 am

Installed comet trough led strip on laser cue, black knight and road kings.
Getting less young means I cant see like a cat in the dark anymore.
( translation: getting old and frickin blind fast ) . :(
Really like the trough lighting, its adjustable and the natural white brings out artwork with no colour distortion.
I also installed a spotlight on left sling of bk and right of laser cue. Reduces glare and brightens a dark play field considerably. Both easily installed, removable and require no hacks. Quite affordable as well.
Laser cue got a few new connectors, pins, LEDs .

Bk got a few new pin connectors as well, he's much happier but still not quite right in the head yet.
( lol ). :FP:
Replaced all gi lights in wms triple action with 2smd natural white LEDs. ( same reason, eyes ). What a difference! Very bright .
The next 4 or 5 months are my pinball season, cold weather, work slows a bit , more time at home. It's when I really "try to" focus on getting pins proper. We've only been in new place 5 weeks now and between reno's I'm happy with the pinball progress.
( nice example of Wms space mission coming next. )
Sounds like all good reasons to play, but who really needs a reason?
Attachments
20191112_194143.jpg
20191112_194135.jpg
20191112_194107.jpg
20191112_194058.jpg
20191115_203421.jpg
Shane. "Just because I love pinball doesn't mean I'm any good".

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Postby mrmikeman » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:25 am

I put Comet trough lighting in my STTNG and HATED it.. Even though they are tucked way at the back, maybe it's just the angle for that specific game but they are damn bright and reflect on the DMD. Also, they aren't connected to the GI but directly to 12v so they are always on and don't follow the GI. Makes the light show less awesome. And since they never turn off, when the GI goes out for the video mode the only thing you see on the DMD is those stupid LEDs.

Also got the backboard lighting from Comet when I bought the full kit. I have Pinstadiums installed and didn't want either but they were basically free since I was buying all the other LEDs to convert the game. Backboard also connects to 12v and doesn't turn off with GI.

soooo. they are both still installed but disconnected. If anyone local wants both or either, come on over and we will remove them and you can have them for free. I believe they are purple.

Cheers,
Current Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, custom topper, ColorDMD.
Stern JP LE#449(HUO) - Pinstadiums, custom topper, bunch of mods (Mezelmod).
NIB MMrRE coming Q1 2020 :shock:

WANTED:
LOTR
TSPP

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running and soon to be on Kijiji :D
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Roadshow, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:03 pm

Picked up 8 (right!) new marquees. Some of you know my marquee collection, and it's rare I find any more that interest me, so to get eight at once means I'm really sifting through some of the more obscure releases!
Also got Coin-ops On Location, one of the rarer pinball and arcade books.
Attachments
20191118_115234.jpg
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), pajatso/payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround, 1935 Cannon Fire, 1934 Fleet, 1935 Impact, 1935 Spot-Lite, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines, 1951 Universal 5 Star
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight, Star-Jet
marquees wanted: Varkon, Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Tutankham
collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

sylvain
MAACA Wacko

Postby sylvain » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:26 pm

Brought my 1978 Stern Nugent at work in the cafeteria on Nov.9, for our United Way charity drive at the office.
Fun and friendly competition! Almost $200 collected/given to-date, all going to a good cause.
Campaign ends tomorrow, will bring the machine back home this week-end.

Note: Displays/digits work fine, my camera shutter and the MPU/displays normal multiplexing caused the apparent missing digit on all displays in the picture.

Cheers,
-Sylvain.

DSCF0057 (2).JPG

DSCF0058 (2).JPG
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

TwilightZone
MAACA Wacko

Postby TwilightZone » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:11 am

Fantastic, Slyvain! Introducing pinball to the folks at work AND raising money for a good cause.
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:23 pm

Picked up some new books.
20191125_142651.jpg

This closes out most of what I've been looking for my bookshelf/reference library. I've owned a lot more books and purged many, and there are still some to go, but I've got it down to a fairly decent batch.
Almost all the topics I need are covered: from America (pinball, gambling pins, trade stims, slots) to Europe (British slots, German games, Finland, etc), to Japan (pachinko, 20th century redemption games,) to arcade machines from all over. Even a bit of 1st-3rd gen home video game coverage.

I hope to find more books about games from Italy and Spain. Anyone know if any? Also interested in coin-op books covering other regions around the globe.
Like a history of coin-op focused on France is definitely on the wish list.

20191127_215919.jpg
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), pajatso/payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround, 1935 Cannon Fire, 1934 Fleet, 1935 Impact, 1935 Spot-Lite, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines, 1951 Universal 5 Star
marquees wanted: Varkon, Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Tutankham
collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:23 am

That's a mighty fine pinball bookshelf.
There must be a copy of Coin-Op Carnival #1 in there somewhere.
I wonder what's the slim white book next to Pinball Memories.

I also liked Drop Target Omnibus and Pinball Adventures #1.
Pinball Adventure #2 was complete garbage though.
One day I'm going to get myself a copy of all Pinball Magazines.
They are called magazines but they really should be called books.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:20 am

cap wrote:That's a mighty fine pinball bookshelf.
There must be a copy of Coin-Op Carnival #1 in there somewhere.
I wonder what's the slim white book next to Pinball Memories.

I also liked Drop Target Omnibus and Pinball Adventures #1.
Pinball Adventure #2 was complete garbage though.
One day I'm going to get myself a copy of all Pinball Magazines.
They are called magazines but they really should be called books.

Coin-Op Carnival #1 is in the upper-left quadrant there. :)

Slim white book in the upper-right is FLIPPER, a German book of woodrail backglass artwork.

I don't feel the need to own the Pinball magazines, nor the Game Room magazines, but I like to flip through them.
There is a collector magazine from Britain called Mechanical Memories Magazine that I'd like to get copies of, but mostly because documentation of British machines is sparse in North America, and they have some really curious gambling pseudo-pins.
I use LibraryThing to keep track of my books, you can see the list http://www.librarything.com/catalog/cpi23/pinballarcade
(and if you use the dropdown in the upper left corner and select "Your Library" instead of Pinball & Arcade, it will take you to my art book collection)

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Postby OTTOgd » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:13 pm

cait001 wrote:
cap wrote:I use LibraryThing to keep track of my books, you can see the list http://www.librarything.com/catalog/cpi23/pinballarcade
(and if you use the dropdown in the upper left corner and select "Your Library" instead of Pinball & Arcade, it will take you to my art book collection)

Wow, thanks for posting the LibraryThing.com link to your awesome collection, Cait! New to me and certainly an excellent reference; bookmarked.

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:26 am

OTTOgd wrote:
cait001 wrote:
cap wrote:I use LibraryThing to keep track of my books, you can see the list http://www.librarything.com/catalog/cpi23/pinballarcade

Wow, thanks for posting the LibraryThing.com link to your awesome collection, Cait! New to me and certainly an excellent reference; bookmarked.

It's a pretty great tool for catalouging books. My art book collection is over 600 pieces so I needed some way to stay on top of it all. Very useful to access if I'm out and about and see something and want to verify if I don't already have it in the stacks...

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Postby semicolin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:01 pm

Acquired new robot.
B216679E-E1B1-423C-8F23-9E1F1CAB740A.jpeg

Diagnosed a short in my Middle Earth display. Needs a new glass. Shit.
D4194FA7-353D-4573-A24F-A714509AF09F.jpeg

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”