What did you do today in the hobby?

Talk about anything that you would like.
mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 14 times

Re: What did you do today in the hobby?

Post by mrmikeman »

Brought the Dr Who in the garage. Playfield is out and in the rotisserie. Cabinet disassembled and everything is removed. Ready to start stripping the artwork but have to go visit my dad first.
Attachments
E74C3FA9-1FD9-48B3-95B3-06CC191666A8.jpeg
C56E39D7-AFE5-4F6C-8479-F5291E4B0427.jpeg
A587A2B2-A3F8-4D13-BB56-F960188EEA45.jpeg
961576F8-7FD4-4F28-9B61-D49D474C6E3E.jpeg
Current Lineup:

PINS:
Medieval Madness Royal Edition - Mods: Merlin, Troll lighting
Stern Jurassic Park LE - Pinstadiums, Stern topper, stern amber shooter, mods: signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE - Pinstadiums, mods: witch, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, Throne room screen, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades, Gouveia witch 2.0 (coming soon)
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD
Doctor Who - Alt Translite, moving Dalek(real one - not the cheap servo mod), new decals, new ramps, pinblades, full LED, Pinsound & shaker, LED&GI OCD, ColorDMD
Revenge from Mars(+SWEP1 pf) - Running RFM custom code v2.22 on Nucore, Mods: saucer LEDs, 6-ball trough, knocker, shaker. SWEP1 is original software and no mods. Original neon works
Stern Star Wars Prem (ordered - ETA March or April 2021) - Mods: Stern Art Blades, Stern Topper, Stern Shooter, Stern Shaker, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing

Looking for:
Willy Wonka
LOTR
Vewlix cab

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel.
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke - Hooked up to the Seeburg Entertainer speakers.

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

cait001
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 9 times

Post by cait001 »

I might have ordered something rather large from Japan. Eeeep. No spoilers until it actually gets here.
Now waiting for a ridiculous shipments from both USA and Japan...
WANTED: Jezzard Mini Cascade, 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, Ruffler & Walker's The Hat Trick
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by World_of_Warships »

mrmikeman wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:30 pm
Brought the Dr Who in the garage. Playfield is out and in the rotisserie. Cabinet disassembled and everything is removed. Ready to start stripping the artwork but have to go visit my dad first.
Just admiring your electric stairclimber..lol!

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

World_of_Warships wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:53 am
It’s pretty awesome (moved the game alone from the basement to the garage). But it’s the forklift attachment that really makes it super duper crazy awesome lol.

Installed a 200lbs wall hanger juke yesterday. Alone. So awesome.

Also use it to install or remove pinball legs. All 4 at the same time.

Here’s a pic of when I removed it from it’s spot in the lineup with the forklift and pinball plate attachment. You can see how far the plate reaches cause I put a 1x3 board across so it doesn’t put all the strain on the bottom MDF board.
Attachments
D7D5CAC3-11FD-4577-94F7-F15ECC259FA5.jpeg
Current Lineup:

PINS:
Stern Jurassic Park LE - Pinstadiums, Stern topper, stern amber shooter, mods: signs, watch tower, raptor pen, T-rex fence, pteranodon, goat, and a few more
Wizard of Oz ECLE - Pinstadiums, mods: witch, tornado, castle, crystal ball, lit emerald city, Throne room screen, hot air balloon lighting, pinblades, Gouveia witch 2.0 (coming soon)
Star Trek the Next Generation - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD
Doctor Who - Alt Translite, moving Dalek(real one - not the cheap servo mod), new decals, new ramps, pinblades, full LED, Pinsound & shaker, LED&GI OCD, ColorDMD
Revenge from Mars(+SWEP1 pf) - Running RFM custom code v2.22 on Nucore, Mods: saucer LEDs, 6-ball trough, knocker, shaker. SWEP1 is original software and no mods. Original neon works
Stern Star Wars Prem (ordered - ETA March or April 2021) - Mods: Stern Art Blades, Stern Topper, Stern Shooter, Stern Shaker, Star Destroyer, Imperial Probe, X-Wing

Looking for:
Willy Wonka
LOTR
Vewlix cab

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Converted to MP3 while retaining the original look and feel.
NSM Emerald Ice CD(100) wall hanger juke - Hooked up to the Seeburg Entertainer speakers.

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Road Show, Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder

mrmikeman wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:01 pm
World_of_Warships wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:53 am
It’s pretty awesome (moved the game alone from the basement to the garage). But it’s the forklift attachment that really makes it super duper crazy awesome lol.

Installed a 200lbs wall hanger juke yesterday. Alone. So awesome.

Also use it to install or remove pinball legs. All 4 at the same time.

Here’s a pic of when I removed it from it’s spot in the lineup with the forklift and pinball plate attachment. You can see how far the plate reaches cause I put a 1x3 board across so it doesn’t put all the strain on the bottom MDF board.
Not just awesome, amazing! Yup, that forklift attachment would make it quite secure to move things around! But an escalator like yours almost looks magical when doing strairs!

sylvain
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by sylvain »

Finally catching-up on some pinball repairs backlog.
Work hours were absolutely crazy at the office & working from home during the last few months.
Glad I still have a job though!

- Worked on my Gottlieb Panthera that had been sitting for more than 10 years.
It is working now, except for the sound board that needs a no longer available chip.
Will probably order a replacement Pascal PI-FX sound board, shop the game, then sell the machine later.

- Fixed another Gottlieb Jet Spin for someone local. It needed contacts tightening/adjustments at multiple locations,
including the infamous/usual AX relay, the A relay, score motor, etc. No more score motor running continuously now!

- Received two more machines for repairs. A Gottlieb Card Whiz with drop targets resetting too soon & bonus lamps issues,
and a Sonic Butterfly that no longer worked. The Butterfly's Player Unit in the head was not ratcheting or resetting well.
Someone crafty modded its flippers to operate on DC in the past, instead of just the pops and slings alone.
And, I need to check why someone bypassed a set of NC contacts on the Extra Ball relay with an alligator clip (contacts are OK).
The associated 'Shoot Again when Lit' lamp has been removed too. Wondering if this was done to comply to local laws at the time.
Also took the opportunity to submit a picture of Butterfly (Inside Head) to ipdb.org.
Pic of the alligator clip bypassing the NC contacts on the Extra Ball relay below.

Happy New Year everyone and stay safe!
-Sylvain.
DSCF0065.JPG
Looking for Bally Star-Jet, Capersville or The Wiggler, Williams Magic City, Grand Lizard, Swords of Fury, 1986 Pinstar Gamatron, and a few others.
Collecting & repairing electro-mechanical and solid state pinball machines with quality and care for over 35 years.
Serious and fun hobby, powerful nostalgia !

Sparky
MAACA OG
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Sparky »

2 more pins sold. One has been delivered. One entering the shop as soon as I finish with 2 more I sold.

The reduction continues. Probably 6 more to go, minimum. Gotta make space.
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

WANTED: Jezzard Mini Cascade, 21 (1946 Duval), NSM Freispiel Sieg Super-Match, Ruffler & Walker's The Hat Trick
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)

steamfitter
MAACA Millennial
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by steamfitter »

I finally set up my Bally display tester . I love it , save a lot of time .

https://www.pinballsolutions.eu/product ... -displays/
Attachments
20210112_154713.jpg
Pins: Black Hole , Flash Gordon , Meteor , Star Trek , Firepower , Jacks to Open
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Arcade ; Meteorites
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , SEGA Space attack

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

My latest machine in the lineup.... Circus!
IMG_20210113_194012_713.jpg
I had what is basically a once-in-a-lifetime chance to grab a NOS (was NIB basically, but the box didn't survive) 10¥ machine from Japan.
This is from 1978 and is in like-new condition, except for the facts it's been sitting unused for 43 years and there's tiny amounts of environmental corrosion.
These machines had a high fatality rate in Japan as they'd often be placed outside of stores alongside vending machines under the front awning.

These things are pretty much never seen outside of Japan, and are pretty rare even in Japan, and I'm very happy to get it.

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Post by Guard »

Put Catacomb in its new spot and broke a drop target on the first game....sigh...
Attachments
20210113_214442.jpg
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote/Spirit of 76/ Genesis / Bally Beat The Clock/ Outer Space/ Stern POTC/Genie/ Victory/Shaq Attaq/ Gold Strike/ DE Star Wars/ Atlantis/ Big Hit/ Gorgar/ Scorpion/ Algar/ Catacomb
Projects- Jacks Open /Stratoflite/ Jolly Roger/ Hang Glider
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

luch
MAACA Buck
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by luch »

it's now garbage , sell it to me !

TwilightZone
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 11 times

Post by TwilightZone »

cait001 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:27 pm
Congrats. That's pretty cool. What's the back story? How did you learn about it and then acquire it?
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by OTTOgd »

cait001 wrote:
blah, blah, blah ... GAMEPLAY VID!?!

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder

OTTOgd wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:21 am
cait001 wrote:
Probably looking for some yens to play it! :D

Sparky
MAACA OG
Been liked: 49 times

Post by Sparky »

I watched hockey, drank beer, ate junk, played Subroc, Final Lap and Heavey Metal Meltdown.

Wait...

Shit... Am I dead? Is this heaven? LOL
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

I put a deposit down on a Stern NIB. Now the reality of spending that much money is sinking in. EEEK!
Current Lineup:

PINS:

Looking for:
Willy Wonka
LOTR
Vewlix cab

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Honey Badger
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Honey Badger »

Which title Mike?
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

Honey Badger
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Honey Badger »

Honey Badger wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:41 am
Which title Mike?
Edit, never mind I see it’s a Star Wars. Congrats!
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

TwilightZone
MAACA Wacko
Been liked: 11 times

Post by TwilightZone »

mrmikeman wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:37 am
I put a deposit down on a Stern NIB. Now the reality of spending that much money is sinking in. EEEK!
I hear you on that. I've been tempted to buy NIB a few times and once I add the taxes, I buy something else. JP and new Avengers are so good, it's been tempting.

Congrats on your purchase.
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Post by cait001 »

TwilightZone wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:59 pm
cait001 wrote:
Congrats. That's pretty cool. What's the back story? How did you learn about it and then acquire it?

I've been researching weird 20th century coinop from around the world for a couple of years, with a focus on Japan, Germany, and the UK, so I've had my ear to ground on the obscure histories of those countries.
I've loved the Japanese 10Y machines for a long time and didn't think I'd ever really have a chance to buy one, especially not a great condition one like this, but it came up on Yahoo Japan Auctions.
(I browse the sales/auctions in Japan, Germany, UK, Switzerland, France, and some other countries)

OTTOgd wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:21 am
cait001 wrote:
here is a video of the same game being played by the owner of 駄菓子屋ゲーム博 (Dagashiya Game Museum)

World_of_Warships wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 am
Probably looking for some yens to play it! :D
Actually if anyone has any Japanese 10 Yen coins I'm buying. They're not easy to find in Canada! I've tried a bunch of the currency exchange places.
(generally I'll also buy your american nickels and pre-decimal British pennies)

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

TwilightZone wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:59 am
mrmikeman wrote:
I hear you on that. I've been tempted to buy NIB a few times and once I add the taxes, I buy something else. JP and new Avengers are so good, it's been tempting.

Well right now folks are asking 5 figures for their used premiums. Current exchange rate means NIB is 10000$CAD + tax = about 11500$.

It's new. It has a warranty. Stern has fixed issues that popped up during earlier runs. The business case is solid in this instance.
Current Lineup:

PINS:

Looking for:
Willy Wonka
LOTR
Vewlix cab

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

World_of_Warships
MAACA QuarterPounder

mrmikeman wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:46 am
TwilightZone wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:59 am
mrmikeman wrote:

Well right now folks are asking 5 figures for their used premiums. Current exchange rate means NIB is 10000$CAD + tax = about 11500$.

It's new. It has a warranty. Stern has fixed issues that popped up during earlier runs. The business case is solid in this instance.
Yes, it's much money. But you're right, the business case is solid. The worst thing that could happen is for you to lose a bit of money when (if) you sell it later. Mostly, it's figuring out what else you could have done with 11 500$ lol

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Post by mrmikeman »

World_of_Warships wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:41 pm

Yes, it's much money. But you're right, the business case is solid. The worst thing that could happen is for you to lose a bit of money when (if) you sell it later. Mostly, it's figuring out what else you could have done with 11 500$ lol
Yes but let's not go there. shhhhh. lol ;)
Current Lineup:

PINS:

Looking for:
Willy Wonka
LOTR
Vewlix cab

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Ponzie
MAACA Newb

Post by Ponzie »

You won’t regret it Mike...
I got mine in July 2017 when it was first released and haven’t had any issues with it.
(Here’s hoping I didn’t jinx myself)

It’s a tough game that needs to be leveled just right but it’s a lot of fun...
Someone from Germany sent me custom code with more of the John Williams music to replace the custom tracks Stern put on the machine. But it’s 1.05 (and I think they just released 1.10).
Not a ton of differences in the code from .05 to .10 but I think there’s a way to convert it over to the new code with Pinball Browser...
I just haven’t ever put the time into figuring it out...

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”