Midway-Adventureland in Ottawa Closed

Talk about anything that you would like.
Trevor H
MAACA Valued Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Midway-Adventureland in Ottawa Closed

Post by Trevor H »

After about 30 years in business they have closed the doors. Everything is for sale starting tomorrow. Obviously most of this stuff is not suitable for home use as it is mostly redemption games but there are still quite a few driving games, plus a Captain America and the Avengers vid. Anyone interested in viewing tomorrow between 11-2 address is 2491 Kaladar avenue Ottawa.
I have a warehouse in the same building so I could provide temporary storage if someone is interested in anything. I also can make deals on items before the public viewing. Lots of cool stuff there for the right person. Anyone have room for a set of bumper cars lol?
Pins: High Speed, Firepower, Black Knight
Vids: 60 in 1

Murphelman
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Midway-Adventureland in Ottawa Closed

Post by Murphelman »

Any Pinball Machines?
Own
Stern: , Iron Maiden, Godzilla, TMNT., Foo Fighters, Rush, Meteor
Bally/Williams:Dr. Who, Jack*Bot, Demo Man,
Data East: Nothing
Gottlieb: Strange World
Bally: 8 Ball Deluxe
Williams:
JJP: N/A
Wishlist
Baywatch, Starship Troopers, Taxi
:mrgreen:

TwilightZone
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by TwilightZone »

Wow! I got hooked on TZ back in the day when they were more of a large arcade. Midway, thanks to their awesome tech at the time -- Mr Pinhead himself, kept the pins in good working.

I figured when they went all kiddie stuff that it was a money machine for them. Always a new market being born :-) Surprised they are closing. My kids are older and I haven't been in years.
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

Murphelman
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Murphelman »

I used to go all the time even back when it was behind Mcdonald's in the the strip mall Near the Museum. Use to go and play Street Fighter against the locals there for a change in competition from my Arcade (Wizard on Carling).

Then when it moved to the other side of the Museum and I had my oldest son we used to go lots as well. I remember while he was running around playing redemption games, I was always playing Scared Stiff and Monopoly pinball.

Sad to see it go.
Own
Williams:
Wishlist

Trevor H
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by Trevor H »

Yes it is sad. I was the same I went there myself when it was an arcade behind Mcdonalds and then went alot with the kids when it moved to the bigger building on St. Laurent. Alot of money has passed through that place for sure! Sad to see if reduced to a liquidation sale but I think this is the reality of today with high rents and higher wages for the large amount of staff needed to run a place like that.

No pinball machines at all, and the only vid (besides the racing games) that would be good for home use is the Captain America. Lots of cool smaller redemption games that will likely go very cheap if anyone is interested in adding one to their games room and has space.

TwilightZone
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by TwilightZone »

The website is down with the domain name requiring renewal at the start of the month. They must have known this one coming. Why no announcement or big "final" day sale? Even their Facebook page makes no mention of them closing:

https://www.facebook.com/MIDWAYFAMILYFUNPARK/
Looking for web/graphic design, hosting, application Development, or CMS design/hosting?

MarketAccess Communications Inc.
Providing exceptional services for Small Business, Associations and Government
http://www.marketaccess.ca

Just Accessibility - Accessible Document Consulting and Remediation
https://www.justaccessibility.com/

Hosted in Canada Surveys
http://www.hostedincanadasurveys.ca/

cait001
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 225 times

Post by cait001 »

Someone get the machines where you flip coins into dinosaur mouths
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fairy, Star Trek (1971 Gottlieb)
marquees wanted: Roller Aces, Quiz Dragon, Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Ninja (Sega)
blog -- collection -- want list -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

The Evener
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by The Evener »

That's a real bummer to hear. I see it was open for Family Day so this doesn't look like a closure that had any pre-announcements although maybe I missed it. Not sure what this means for staff unless this was discussed internally and not a surprise. Did you learn of the closure through the owner?

Honey Badger
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 29 times

Post by Honey Badger »

Murphelman wrote: I was always playing Scared Stiff and Monopoly pinball.

Sad to see it go.
You sure that wasn’t Creature and Monopoly ;)
WTB: Cyclopes, Split Second, Flight 2000, Warlok, BMX, Alien Star, Stern Iron Maiden SS, Vampire, Superman

joblo
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by joblo »

Trevor H wrote:After about 30 years in business they have closed the doors. Everything is for sale starting tomorrow. Obviously most of this stuff is not suitable for home use as it is mostly redemption games but there are still quite a few driving games, plus a Captain America and the Avengers vid. Anyone interested in viewing tomorrow between 11-2 address is 2491 Kaladar avenue Ottawa.
I have a warehouse in the same building so I could provide temporary storage if someone is interested in anything. I also can make deals on items before the public viewing. Lots of cool stuff there for the right person. Anyone have room for a set of bumper cars lol?
I might be interested in a driving game, any idea which ones they have and what condition? Their website is down and I can't find any specifics on the games anywhere else. Thanks!

Trevor H
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by Trevor H »

There is a decent fast and furious single as well as some older crusin exotica games plus some older linked motorcycle games.

Fifty
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by Fifty »

Murphelman wrote:I used to go all the time even back when it was behind Mcdonald's in the the strip mall Near the Museum. Use to go and play Street Fighter against the locals there for a change in competition from my Arcade (Wizard on Carling).

Then when it moved to the other side of the Museum and I had my oldest son we used to go lots as well. I remember while he was running around playing redemption games, I was always playing Scared Stiff and Monopoly pinball.

Sad to see it go.
I used to play there all the time too! This is where my pinball obsession manifested! Creature became my fav! White Water, Whirlwind, T2! Great line-up of pins back in the day. I haven't been there in years.

cdnpinballer
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 3 times

Post by cdnpinballer »

Do they still have the sit in afterburner?

I pumped many many dollars into that baby! Always rocked

Trevor H
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by Trevor H »

Hey Lee I dont think they have that one anymore, I didnt see it when I walked through quickly. I did the same, I pumped a few dollars in that one!

BoomDivX
MAACA New Contributor

Post by BoomDivX »

Damn :( I bought my DDR cabinet from them 3 years ago :(

The Evener
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by The Evener »

If anyone is able to post updates about what they've found on site or how sales are handled, that would be great. I'll try to make it out to see what's up.

Murphelman
MAACA Super Contributor

Post by Murphelman »

The Evener wrote:If anyone is able to post updates about what they've found on site or how sales are handled, that would be great. I'll try to make it out to see what's up.

Just got back from checking it out. They have posted prices on all the items. The newer and "More exciting" stuff is already sold. Mostly to FunHaven. They have a two player sit on bike racer for $500. Cruisin Exotica for $800. The Captain America and the Avengers Arcade is a two player stand up and it was $1,000. Rest of the item are redemption games ranging from $1,000 to $3,000 mostly with some exceptions.
Own
Williams:
Wishlist

DonnyBrasco
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by DonnyBrasco »

Thanks for posting details..I used to go there on st.laurent all the time..I likely got my asked kicked by you on street fighter..lol

Trevor H
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by Trevor H »

Prices are way too high at this point fpr what is there but as reality sets the prices will drop. They are open to offers, selling price of most of the remaining items will be a fraction of the aaking price. A very cheap claw or redemption game would be fun in a game room if somebody had the room

joblo
MAACA New Contributor
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by joblo »

Murphelman wrote:
The Evener wrote:If anyone is able to post updates about what they've found on site or how sales are handled, that would be great. I'll try to make it out to see what's up.

Just got back from checking it out. They have posted prices on all the items. The newer and "More exciting" stuff is already sold. Mostly to FunHaven. They have a two player sit on bike racer for $500. Cruisin Exotica for $800. The Captain America and the Avengers Arcade is a two player stand up and it was $1,000. Rest of the item are redemption games ranging from $1,000 to $3,000 mostly with some exceptions.
Who do I contact if interested in the CRUISIN game?

The Evener
MAACA Valued Contributor

Post by The Evener »

Trevor H wrote:Prices are way too high at this point fpr what is there but as reality sets the prices will drop. They are open to offers, selling price of most of the remaining items will be a fraction of the aaking price. A very cheap claw or redemption game would be fun in a game room if somebody had the room
Do you know how the sales will be handled? I wasn't clear how long people could access the site to view the remaining games before everything is moved out.

Thanks to you and Murphelman for the updates. I was able to drop by in the early afternoon, I noticed on the door that there was a sign posted from the landlord announcing significant monies in owed rent, that the locks were changed, access would be controlled, etc. I forgot to check the date of the posting, but I presume it was early this week since the place appeared open for Family Day according to Facebook.

Unfortunate situation. Doesn't look like this was a planned or orderly shut-down given the rent arrears posting. It's a tough market, but Midway kept trying to change with the times to keep people interested. They even recently installed a batting/pitching cage where they used to have a small train running, which I only learned about today. I haven't read a peep about the closure out in social media land, I was a bit surprised about that. I don't know the situation about staff, but Midway appeared to employ a sizeable crew.