TZ Flippers Died - Advice wanted

Talk about anything that you would like.
tom_454
MAACA Barbarian

TZ Flippers Died - Advice wanted

Postby tom_454 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:44 am

Hi guys/gals,

My TZ flippers have been getting weaker for the last year or more, especially the upper-left one which was getting extremely weak. They were too weak to enjoy a game when I had my ColorDMD installed but they were strong enough to play with the ColorDMD removed (I did that about a year ago).

A few days ago the upper left flipper completely died. I played a few balls after that and the other flippers were ok. I powered the game up yesterday to begin trouble-shooting and both the flippers on the left side were dead and a minute after that all the flippers died.

I discovered that fuse F901 was blown (controls the upper left flipper) so I replaced that but that didn’t change anything. All other fuses are good.

If I go into switch test I do not get any response from the flipper optos (switches F2, F4, F6, F8).

I noticed that both the ColorDMD and flipper opto boards are powered by 12V. So I am suspecting that perhaps my Power Driver Board has an issue with the 12V? Or perhaps I am just not getting the 12V to the left flipper opto board (the right side gets it from the left). I guess I should start with using the 12V test point on the power driver board to check the voltage (to make sure the board is ok)? Am I on the right path here? Is this where I should start looking?

(Little background)
The game itself is in immaculate shape - it was never routed so the boards and inside cabinet are in very nice condition. I would have said perfect but a few years ago I had a Duracell battery leak and it corroded one of the battery holder terminals (Doh!) - but I discovered it pretty quickly. I am now using the Energizer Lithium ION batteries. At any rate it doesn't appear that the boards have a lot of hours on them (and no hacks - although I have never ever removed any of the boards to check the backsides). I have owned the game for 12 years and it has less than 3k plays during that time.

I am bit of a novice when it comes to troubleshooting boards. I can fix most anything but just need a little guidance when it comes to circuit boards.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to spend a little time looking into the issue this weekend.

Cheers and Thanks.
Pinball Rocks!
277 old posts - member since August 2007.

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Re: TZ Flippers Died - Advice wanted

Postby cap » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:12 pm

If you replace a fuse without fixing the underlying problem, it might just blow instantly.
Did you check your new fuse was still good?

You said you were in switch test mode, did you try the coil test mode?
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

4eyes
MAACA Collaborator

Postby 4eyes » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Check and clean the flipper optos, or even replace them or the little flipper boards. That is the exact symptoms I had before replacing them.
Also check the connectors on the fliptonics board I have had a fuse blow on it just because of partially seated connector
Also check connector j116 pin 2 and J118 pin 2 on power driver board for 12 volts
AFM, STTNG, TZ, TOM, FH, WW, TAF, JP, EBD, DISE

tom_454
MAACA Barbarian

Postby tom_454 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:03 pm

Thanks Kev,

I already cleaned the optos. I even replaced the Lower Left opto board with a new GLM board and nothing. I noticed that the LEDs on the new GLM board did not light when the flipper was pressed. hmmmm.

Just before I read your response I had checked the J116-2 pin and I got a reading of 12.6V. (Measured from the pin and also with the connector plugged in. However, when I tried to measure the voltage at the Left opto board connector pin I got nothing. So I am suspecting a broken wire (Grey-Yellow) - perhaps there is a break (pinched wire somewhere) which caused the fuse to blow before it finally completely broke. At least that is my current theory and next thing to investigate.

On the bright side I am having fun learning about how to read/interpret Williams schematics and using a multimeter to troubleshoot. I do enjoy this stuff - just wish I had more time to mess around with it. And it is a good excuse to turn on some music, have a beer and get under the hood.

Tom.
Pinball Rocks!

4eyes
MAACA Collaborator

Postby 4eyes » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Its not quite as shown in the manual J116 - 2 on driver board goes to the coin interface board in the cabinet below the left flipper @ J2 - 4 first. It then loops out of of that connector to the left flipper button and connector and from there to the right flipper button, so check for 12v at the coin interface J2 - 4. If it’s not there then its broken between there and the driver board and if it is there its broken between the coin interface J2-4 and the flipper board.
AFM, STTNG, TZ, TOM, FH, WW, TAF, JP, EBD, DISE

tom_454
MAACA Barbarian

Postby tom_454 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:40 am

So, after I measured my voltages again and plugged the connectors back in (J116 on the PDB and the flipper opto board connectors everything went back to working normally. The flippers are as strong as ever.

So I suspect that I have a connector issue somewhere in the wiring. Either a wire is not seated properly in one of the IDC connectors or perhaps I have a break in the wire and moving the wiring harness around re-established connectivity. Would a poor connection result in weaker than normal flippers as a result of intermittent voltage fluctuations. i.e. As the game is nudged over time the connectivity changes.

There isn't any signs of burnt connectors as the connectors look mint. I will try reseating the IDC wire connections if it happens again.

Anyone want to chime in?
Pinball Rocks!

cap
MAACA Barbarian

Postby cap » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Bad connectors might increase resistance in the circuit and cause the voltage drop. No idea if that's your problem but it's easy to measure if it happens again.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

pharoah007
MAACA Death Knight

Postby pharoah007 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:22 pm

Just save yourself the trouble and change the IDC type to the better trifurcon (sp?) Type connector. Re flow the solder on the PCB while you are at it.

It will be better than when it left the factory
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky

"I don't give a Fvck"
- Honey Badger

"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi

" The Honey Badger wants some bananas"
- Woody

"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes

I am with us.

tom_454
MAACA Barbarian

Postby tom_454 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Yes, if it gives me any issues in the future I will change the connector. IDC sucks.
Pinball Rocks!

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”