The History of Nickels and Dimes

Talk about anything that you would like.
Chris Silver
MAACA Death Knight

The History of Nickels and Dimes

Postby Chris Silver » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:58 am

The one thing I know is Gottliebs Black Hole was the first pinball machine ever to demand a $.50 gameplay.

Does anybody know this the timing, game, or history behind pinball machines turning from nickels, to dimes, to quarters or even loonies for that matter?

What did Americans use besides one dollar bills before they had bill machines attached to pinballs?
Pins: Lightning, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Timeline, Silverball Mania
Vids: Double Dragon 619-1
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip
WTB: Punk!, Black Knight, Spirit, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball, Medusa
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

semicolin
MAACA Barbarian

Re: The History of Nickels and Dimes

Postby semicolin » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:32 am

Chris Silver wrote:What did Americans use besides one dollar bills before they had bill machines attached to pinballs?

I went to Boston seven or eight years ago and I bought a couple of subway tokens. The machine gave me my change back in Sacagawea dollars - an American Loonie. Nobody would take them. Most places would give them back and tell me they didn't accept Canadian money. They'd never seen one before.
Sharing my space with: Stern Meteor, Gottlieb Tag Team, Interflip Dragon, Bally Centaur II, Street Fighter cab w/Premium 8
Wanted: Widebody cocktail cabinet, ≥ 36", Bally Elektra, Williams Rollergames

singlezero
MAACA Collaborator

Re: The History of Nickels and Dimes

Postby singlezero » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:37 am

I have been passed a Ghana. Coin. That looks identical to a toonie but is worth half the monetary value. I don't see pins out on route to know if these are being used but the owner of where I have a seasonal trailer tells me he is finding them being used in his laudromat

On my mid sixties. Moulin rouge it has a. Unique drop down cabinet requiring the game to have 2 sizes of legs. I. Haven't seen in documentation but I think the rationale was that it has a rather large sized coin acceptor. For nickels dimes and quarters rather than e slots for individual. Coins . I think it much like a slot machine to take whatever change you had in your pocket. I know gottlieb made a. Couple of games with similar drop down cabinet but not sure if it has that same style coin acceptor
Attachments
IMG_20190406_1024260.jpg

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”