Got The Grail

Talk about anything that you would like.
Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 79 times

Got The Grail

Post by Chris Silver »

I'm still totally stressed out and my writing skills are questionable.

With the selfless help of a few close friends and some serious covert operations (wife) I have finally obtained my grail pin. Its a 1982 Gottlieb Punk. For at least 7 years I've hunted for one of these. I swear it is a hidden gem. I don’t trust the IPDB rating on this beauty. 2 of the 7 ratings brought it down to a 6.2. If you do the true math it should be a 7.9. The 2 low rating were 2.6 and 2.2 causing the final rating to hit its low value. I studied the gameflow and found it to be worthy of the hunt.

The feeling I have is almost like cheating on my wife. I couldn't tell her the truth. She would have killed me. I mentioned I needed to help RAB move a pin. I didn't have enough cash on hand with such a short notice and our Borderland Pinball Collective stepped up to my rescue. Farmboy fronted me the dough. I couldn't launder money out of my accounts quick enough without being pinned. My next problem was where to "hide" it until the dust settled. Sparky was away for business and Heisenburg was on vacation in the States. Goldmeister lives up my street and has 3 machines, but he wasn't answering his phone. Dave W said the pin could hide in his garage. lol This was convenient because I apparently was hiding one for him in mine. Is it just us complaining or do you guys have the same grief?

RAB was my total saviour. He was the man who knew I was looking and found one with a curious history floating around Montreal. Its a loooong story which I will leave to his colourful writing skills. Robert so generously went out of his way to hook me up and was very understanding to my scatterbrain behavior knowing I was a walking dead man with my wife. I owe him bigtime.

I wanted to say thank you to all involved in helping me acquire this rare and amazing gem. I am near drained with gratitude for your gracious support guys. Now I just need Rob to chime in with the history and trail. Please forgive me for being so messed in the head.

I'll take some better pictures once I get it out of the witness protection program. I'd love to get it up and running before the Flea Fair. I won't even say the word pinball in my house for now. lol
Attachments
MVJH9434.JPG
IMG_4584.JPG
IMG_4583.JPG
Last edited by Chris Silver on Wed May 22, 2019 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania
WTB: Medieval Madness, Rush
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Re: Got The Grail

Post by Guard »

Fantastic
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

WARLOCK
MAACA Mega Contributor
Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by WARLOCK »

Congrats bro.
I know you have wanted that pin for a long time.

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Wow. Cool. Awesome.

Azatotht
Admins
Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 117 times

Post by Azatotht »

Congrats Chris, FINALLY !

And it seems beautiful too !
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

Pinball machines I have owned

Heisenberg
MAACA New Contributor
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Heisenberg »

Keeping the dream alive Chris one grail at a time
"I am the one who knocks"

Mrhide
MAACA OG
Has liked: 425 times
Been liked: 258 times

Post by Mrhide »

haha nice smile :) w00t!
LF: GrooveCoaster Machine, shmups or any PCB, specifically Namco System 1 (Pacmania), let me know what you have!

novaguy
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Post by novaguy »

So are you still married?lol.it's always easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Sly
MAACA Mega Contributor
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Sly »

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!
Elektra Bally: Prepare for the Gamma Dimension! !!!
Last Action Hero Data East: To be, or not to be. Not to be !!!
Rollergames Williams: Go for the wall !!!
Big guns Williams: She's mine now! Ah ha ha ha !!!
TRON Stern: The grid, a digital frontier !!!
Baby Pacman Bally: Waka Waka Waka !!!
Stargate Gottlieb: Shoot the pyramide !!!

The best game is ALWAYS the one you dont have.

targetlaf
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 23 times

Post by targetlaf »

Ces beau sa , félicitation
Paragon, Evel knievel,Xenon , Cleopatra (em), Barracora, Fathom (project) Cab. Taito/Qix , Defender cocktail and rock ola jukebox

Gone: Arena, Nugent, Pharaoh, Freefall, Catacomb, Flight 2000, Embryon, PIN-BOT, Disco Fever, Time Warp, Flash Gordon, Vulcan, Hit The Deck, Elvira, Spectrum, Amazing Spiderman, Circus, Pink Panther, Night Rider, Old Chicago, Target Alpha, Big Hit, Card Whiz, Blackout, Cue ball Wizard, Space invaders,Andromeda, Devil's Dare,Black knight, Centigrade 37, Asteroid annie and the aliens, El Dorado,Surfer

darkdog1
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 2 times

Post by darkdog1 »

System 80 is the best!!
Rien ne sert d'argumenter avec un stupide,car pour le faire tu dois descendre a son niveau et la..il te battra par expérience!

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Dave W. »

Chris Silver wrote: Dave W said the pin could hide in his garage. lol This was convenient because I apparently was hiding one for him in mine.
This is funny part of this story... your wife knows I'm hiding a game in your garage and my wife knows you're hiding one in my garage. It's a good thing that they don't know each other

DrDude
MAACA Super Contributor
Been liked: 1 time

Post by DrDude »

Congratulations, Chris! Very interesting game indeed.
Grant Goodes
Stern: Meteor, Lightning, Nineball, Cheetah, Seawitch, Catacomb
Bally: Fathom x 2, Centaur
Gottlieb: Black Hole
Wanted: Balls-a-Poppin, Catacomb slingshot plastics
Lust-worthy: Dragonfist, Solar Fire, Funhouse, Skateball, Capersville

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Chris Silver wrote: Dave W said the pin could hide in his garage. lol This was convenient because I apparently was hiding one for him in mine.
I'm glad for you.

I guess your wife knows this is your grail pin and won't believe you if you claim Dave needs to "hide" his new purchase in your garage.
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Guard
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by Guard »

"Hey Dear, look what someone left on the 'free' table at the swap meet" :clap :clap
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Tee'd Off/ Flash Gordon/Bluenote / Stern POTC/ DE Star Wars/ Big Hit/ Algar/Asteroid Annie and the Alians/Slugfest/Batman The Dark Knight/DE The Simpsons/Dirty Harry/T2/ Devils Dare/ World Poker Tour/Swords of Fury/ Lethal Weapon/Ripleys BION/Circa 1933/Striker Xtreme

RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

novaguy wrote:So are you still married?lol.it's always easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
It’s horrible to be placed in this kind of position. It’s not one of those things in life that has to be done. It’s one of those things in life that if you pass, you will regret and maybe never find again.

It is oddly enough in very decent cosmetic condition. When I get working top shape, I welcome any and all collectors in our group to try out this rare wonder.

The nice thing about being part of an association is you get the opportunity to share something that others with the same interests can appreciate. If it wasn’t for some of you with your specific collecting interests, there would be games in the wild I would never have the chance to try.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Avatar, Embryon, Timeline, Baby Pac Man, SkyJump, Night Moves, Split Second
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars, Alien Poker, Panthera, Elektra, Blackout, Black Hole, Black Knight, Silverball Mania

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Can't you buy forgiveness by selling a pin and calling it a trade?
My wife would kill me if I buy another pin but I think she would not mind if I traded one (except the one she loves and never plays).
Judge Dredd, Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat

Blackghost4
MAACA Valued Contributor
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Blackghost4 »

Congrats Chris. Great Gottlieb game.
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980), Gottlieb Robo-War (1988), Gottlieb Deadly Weapon (1990), Gottlieb Class of 1812 (1991), Gottlieb Counterforce (1980), Gottlieb Sinbad (1978), Gottlieb Operation Thunder (1992), Gottlieb Diamond Lady (1988), Gottlieb Vulcan (1977), Fascination Circa 1933 (1979 cocktail pinball), Bally World Cup Soccer 94 (1994), Bally Black Belt (1986), Gottlieb Gold Wings (1986)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968),Gottlieb Big Shot (1974)

Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along, Gottlieb Genesis, Gottlieb Force II, Gottlieb Card Whiz, Gottlieb Sinbad, Gottlieb Fun Land, Bally Future Spa, Gottlieb Buccaneer, Gottlieb Dancing Dolls, Gottlieb Striker, Gottlieb Bad Girls, Gottlieb Jacks To Open, Gottlieb Pro Football, Gottlieb Incredible Hulk

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

Chris Silver
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by Chris Silver »

cap wrote:Can't you buy forgiveness by selling a pin and calling it a trade?
My wife would kill me if I buy another pin but I think she would not mind if I traded one (except the one she loves and never plays).
I would have to sell one of the ones she knows about. ;)

cap
MAACA Mega Contributor

Post by cap »

Chris Silver wrote:I would have to sell one of the ones she knows about. ;)
Then you hide one she knows about in Dave's garage and you claim this one is a trade.
That does not solve the hole in your pocket though.

uberhare
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by uberhare »

I love system 80s. Can't wait to play it one day!
Now playing....Dr Who, Pinbot, Black Hole, Mars GOW, Supersonic, Moon Flight, Firepower
Now fixing...Circus, Force II

HPR Pinball
MAACA OG
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 114 times

Post by HPR Pinball »

A grail is a grail, after all those years waiting!
Congratulations Chris!
The video game i want to play is always the one i don't have :FP:
Les arcades, j'suis tombé d'dans quand j'tait pti !! :-)

Dave W.
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 43 times

Post by Dave W. »

Chris, pop over anytime on the weekend if you want to fire it up.
Attachments
20190523_193836.jpg
Last edited by Dave W. on Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OTTOgd
MAACA OG
Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by OTTOgd »

Dave W. wrote:Pop over anytime on the weekend if you want to fire it up.
Thanks for the invite!

Freeplay or should I bring some quarters?

tombiosis
MAACA Super Contributor
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by tombiosis »

Nice Chris! Congrats on finding your grail pin!
Pins: 8BDlx, Rush Pro, The Walking Dead Pro, Iron Maiden Pro, Deadpool Pro, Tommy.
Gone but not forgotten: 6M$M, Fish Tales, Sorcerer, WPT, Elvis, Centaur II, Sure Shot, Firepower, Big Buck Hunter Pro, JP pro, EBD1984.

WTB: Fathom, TSPP, BSD, GOT.

Quit talking and start chalking!