Oculus Rift S blown me away

Talk about anything that you would like.
Azatotht
Admins

Oculus Rift S blown me away

Postby Azatotht » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:39 pm

When was the last time you've been blown away ? I mean really blown away ?

For me it was friday night when I tried my Oculus Rift S for the first time. It's a bit off topic but hey, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested by VR here.

I remember being interested by Virtual Reality way back in 1992 after seeing the Lawnmower Man movie. I was dreaming of a similar experience ever since.

I tried the original Oculus 3 or 4 years ago before it came out at the Science Center in Mtl. I remember not being impressed by the half hour I had to wait in line in order to try a less than a minute demo. By the time I understood what was happening it was over. My son had the same experience, he was with me and he couldn't even see properly since the setup was not properly installed in his head.

I've been tempted by Playstation VR when it came out but didn't pull the trigger. I have read tons of reviews and watched videos etc.. simply put I was not impressed by anything so I moved on.

Lately Oculus released 2 new headsets (the Rift S and the Quest) and it quite revived my interest. I needed something new for a change and I decided to threat the dinosaur that I am to a new technology. I had a hard time deciding but at the end of the day I went for the Rift S since I already had the gaming PC. Reviews were mixed, I watched tons of them. My expectations were low, people were bitching in the forums and reviews were more focusing on what was wrong than what was right.

The new Oculus release was called a minor upgrade rather than the 2.0 version people were waiting for. Some VR old timers are finding the new device a downgrade on different aspects. There are better quality devices on the market already (especially the Vive Pro and the Valve Index) but they are all costing at least twice what this one is worth. Rift is being called a mid-range quality headset and according to those in the know offers a mid-quality experience (BUT only require a mid-range gaming pc too and can still run all the previously released games).

All of this was turning me off a bit but I've finally decided to try it out for myself. One word: WOW !

It took me 5 minutes to realize that no matter how many videos I would watch, there was no way to understand how it really looks and feels using one. I was not prepared to this, I was simply blown away. I may be old but I'm not easily impressed anymore after 22 years working as a programmer. THIS is the coolest thing I have tried for very long time. I had family over yesterday for my daughter's dance show and they came here after, I had fun just watching them trying this for the first time.

Anyone else is into this ? What's your favorite games or experiences ?

Virtual Pinball is going VR now and they already have a working version. I've tried Stern Pinball arcade in VR and felt like I could put my hands on the pinball machine while playing.

Sorry for this long out of topic post but I needed a more official thread than a simple "What did I do today..." :mrgreen:

Cheers and let me know if I'm overreacting :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am the monster that breathing men would kill.
I, am Dracula... (and you're not!)

BoomDivX
MAACA Silent Type

Re: Oculus Rift S blown me away

Postby BoomDivX » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:54 pm

I got the first Oculus Rift and I like it. The only thing I hate about it is when you're playing game where you move alot, the air flow inside the Oculus is very poor. I'm sweating alot when I play. They should add some vent to let some air in, add a little fan, I don't know. I didn't try the new Rift S or the Quest, but if I had to change, it would be for something that really feels like an upgrade. For now, I'm not changing anything, but I'll try the Quest when I'll go see my friend in Repentigny this summer.

I play Beatsaber alot. If you like music game like DDR, you need to try this. And you can add custom songs (there's a big community for customs!). Robo Recall is another great one!

By the way, the Index is made by Valve, not Google ;) (and it's alot more expensive!!!)

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:20 pm

BoomDivX wrote:By the way, the Index is made by Valve, not Google ;) (and it's alot more expensive!!!)

You are absoluty right, I got caught by the excitement while writing this :D

And I will definitely try Beat Saber, so much stuff to try now. I sweated a lot trying Project Cars 2 earlier today :shock:

patmanqc
MAACA Buck

Postby patmanqc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:00 pm

Azatotht wrote:
BoomDivX wrote:By the way, the Index is made by Valve, not Google ;) (and it's alot more expensive!!!)

You are absoluty right, I got caught by the excitement while writing this :D

And I will definitely try Beat Saber, so much stuff to try now. I sweated a lot trying Project Cars 2 earlier today :shock:

Even before the lawnmower man movie came out I was fascinated with VR. They had one of those arcade game set ups in the late 90s at our arcade but to be honest the experience was horrible. Now that VR has dropped in price and the quality of the graphics have gotten better now I'm a quad amputee and wouldn't be able to use it properly.

Oh well

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Postby mrmikeman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:45 am

Bought the original Rift when it came out. I was also blown away when I got it. Trying all kinds of different games. When you stop focussing on the things to improve it's really enjoyable. However I have to say that the novelty wore off fairly quickly. Even with the controllers and 3rd sensor for roomscale. The graphics quality is so-so overall. I now have a phenomenal gaming PC (Blew over 8000$ in Dec on this thing) but the games are written for the lowest common denominator. There's no way to really improve the quality as it's not implemented in the games. I was thinking of upgrading to the Rift S but so far I haven't heard a good reason to do it. The Vive Pro would be a marginal improvement but 1700$... And it doesn't change the fact that the games are programmed with lower graphics quality to run on most PCs.
Current Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, custom topper, ColorDMD.
Stern JP LE#449(HUO) - Pinstadiums, custom topper, bunch of mods (Mezelmod).
NIB MMrRE coming Q1 2020 :shock:

WANTED:
LOTR
TSPP

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running and soon to be on Kijiji :D
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Roadshow, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

Lowrent
MAACA Half-ling

Postby Lowrent » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:12 pm

1484918424-the-lawnmower-man-4-new-line-cinema.jpg

Nosphentor
MAACA Silent Type

Postby Nosphentor » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:25 pm

Hey guys,

I am another one of those guys that grew up in the 70's/80's and looked forward to VR. Back in the 90's I used to work at a computer shop as a sales rep and I had access to all kinds of VR gear. I tried the Virual IO Glasses. the VFX 1, Philips Suba and a few others. Even at it's most basic I loved playing games like Hexen and Mechwarrior 2 in rudimentary VR. When the RIft DK1 came out I was one of the first to buy and although the graphics were sub par, if you had any appreciation for what came before the Rift you would realize just what a monumental step that DK1 was! Then I bought a DK2 with positional tracking. Holy crap, peaking around a corner in Deadhalls what wicked. Then comes CV1, better graphics, roomscale and motion controls. This told me that VR was evolving and fast.

Killer games you must play

Doom 3 original VR mod (not DOOM VFR), Onward, Dead Effect 2 VR (freaking amazing Doom like space station zombie coop mission game), Zero Caliber, Survive (Surv1v3), Skyrim VR, Affected the Manor, Deadhalls

The Rift s has my interest (like to get rid of the sensors) but I am concerned about the audio and hearing the outside world (no standard headphones so would have to use mine). It's always a waiting game for the next best thing but if you keep waiting you'll never play!!!!

I absolutely love VR and look forward to what is coming in the next few years. Wider fields of few, haptic feedback suits, cost effective VR treadmills..keep it coming!!

Nos

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:36 pm

mrmikeman wrote:Bought the original Rift when it came out. I was also blown away when I got it. Trying all kinds of different games. When you stop focussing on the things to improve it's really enjoyable. However I have to say that the novelty wore off fairly quickly. Even with the controllers and 3rd sensor for roomscale. The graphics quality is so-so overall. I now have a phenomenal gaming PC (Blew over 8000$ in Dec on this thing) but the games are written for the lowest common denominator. There's no way to really improve the quality as it's not implemented in the games. I was thinking of upgrading to the Rift S but so far I haven't heard a good reason to do it. The Vive Pro would be a marginal improvement but 1700$... And it doesn't change the fact that the games are programmed with lower graphics quality to run on most PCs.

IM SORRY DID YOU SAY $8K ON A PC???
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), pajatso/payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround, 1935 Cannon Fire, 1934 Fleet, 1935 Impact, 1935 Spot-Lite, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines, 1951 Universal 5 Star
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight, Star-Jet
marquees wanted: Varkon, Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Tutankham
collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:51 pm

cait001 wrote:IM SORRY DID YOU SAY $8K ON A PC???

That's still less than a NIB Stern Pro.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

EvanDickson
MAACA Silent Type

Postby EvanDickson » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:55 pm

Beat saber is amazing. Robo recall is also great. Third on my list is Super Hot. Serious Sam is also really sweet.

I found Arizona Sunshine to be way overrated, and would avoid even though it seems to have a high rating (and price!)

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Postby mrmikeman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:52 pm

cait001 wrote:
mrmikeman wrote:Bought the original Rift when it came out. I was also blown away when I got it. Trying all kinds of different games. When you stop focussing on the things to improve it's really enjoyable. However I have to say that the novelty wore off fairly quickly. Even with the controllers and 3rd sensor for roomscale. The graphics quality is so-so overall. I now have a phenomenal gaming PC (Blew over 8000$ in Dec on this thing) but the games are written for the lowest common denominator. There's no way to really improve the quality as it's not implemented in the games. I was thinking of upgrading to the Rift S but so far I haven't heard a good reason to do it. The Vive Pro would be a marginal improvement but 1700$... And it doesn't change the fact that the games are programmed with lower graphics quality to run on most PCs.

IM SORRY DID YOU SAY $8K ON A PC???

Yes… Yes I did.. Was closer to 10K with the new furniture/accessories and a cheap media PC for the home theater.. Yes I went a bit craycray… lol

The PC is a beast though.. and the best part?? I don't use it.. uggggh.. Shoulda gone with a pinball.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv1jjRpBopr ... hare_sheet

:FP:
Current Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, custom topper, ColorDMD.

WANTED:
LOTR
TSPP

JUKES
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Roadshow, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:24 pm

mrmikeman wrote:Yes… Yes I did.. Was closer to 10K with the new furniture/accessories and a cheap media PC for the home theater.. Yes I went a bit craycray… lol

Did he say he bought a Cray? :wink:
Cray Computer.jpg
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:59 am

Damn Mike, your videocard alone is worth more than half what I paid for my full pc a year and a half ago.

I'm definitely only running a mid-class pc (GTX 1070) so I am more than happy with what the Oculus is giving me. I would not be able to push the Index or the Vive Pro properly anyway.

Speaking of the Rift, followed recommendations and bought Beat Saber yesterday. Had a blast with my son.

Also Viveport Infinity website is supposed to give 2 free months to the new Rift owners so I am gonna try that and find out what I like.

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Postby Mrhide » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:01 am

Azatotht wrote:I remember being interested by Virtual Reality way back in 1992 after seeing the Lawnmower Man movie. I was dreaming of a similar experience ever since.

:FP: :lol: osti de vieux shmuck ! ( et ok ... super film j'avoue!)
LF: EGRET 2 *FOUND!* + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Postby mrmikeman » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 am

Azatotht wrote:Damn Mike, your videocard alone is worth more than half what I paid for my full pc a year and a half ago.

Yeah it was funny that a month before buying my computer I helped my parents buy a full system including monitor.. For half of what I paid for that videocard.. lol..

:)
Current Lineup:

PINS

WANTED:
LOTR
TSPP

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:18 am

Yesterday I played Lone Echo for over an hour, I am getting used to it and don’t feel weird / sick much anymore.

Oh and I also tried VR *cough* videos... can’t say which impressed me the most :lol:

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Postby mrmikeman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 am

Azatotht wrote:Yesterday I played Lone Echo for over an hour, I am getting used to it and don’t feel weird / sick much anymore.

I still get sick easily with games that move fast. Flying games aren't too bad as long as I am way up in altitude. I used to get simulator sickness all the time anyway when flying the real sims. Guess I am over sensitive.

:(
Current Lineup:

PINS

WANTED:
LOTR
TSPP

JUKES

Gone but not forgotten

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:00 am

mrmikeman wrote:I still get sick easily with games that move fast. Flying games aren't too bad as long as I am way up in altitude. I used to get simulator sickness all the time anyway when flying the real sims. Guess I am over sensitive.

:(

I should mention that I did not play intense games on purpose thou.

Project Cars 2 made me feel really bad the first time I've tried it and the rollercoaster wasn't exactly the first thing I should have tried :lol: .

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:17 am

is haptic feedback wear still being explored? Can't wait for games where I can really trick my body into being there by responding to physical stimuli from all over. We can finally overcome the childhood disappointment of the NES Power Glove!
WANTED: スマートボール (Smart Ball), pajatso/payazzo/kronespill, Bell-Fruit Cascade, 1932 Ballyround, 1935 Cannon Fire, 1934 Fleet, 1935 Impact, 1935 Spot-Lite, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines, 1951 Universal 5 Star
backglasses wanted: Fairy, Fire Queen, Out Of Sight, Star-Jet
marquees wanted: Varkon, Dark Planet, Strider, Astro Invader, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum, Tutankham
collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- repair blog -- game ratings

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Azatotht wrote:Oh and I also tried VR *cough* videos... can’t say which impressed me the most :lol:

You mean those First Person Shooters where it always ends with the bounty hunter making the money shot :wink:

Azatotht
Admins

Postby Azatotht » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:20 pm

cap wrote:You mean those First Person Shooters where it always ends with the bounty hunter making the money shot :wink:

:rofl

Mrhide
MAACA OG

Postby Mrhide » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:34 am

Azatotht wrote:Oh and I also tried VR *cough* videos... can’t say which impressed me the most :lol:

:FP: :lol: osti de vieux shmuck ! ( et ok ... super film j'avoue!)

edit: ... et je viens de voir le titre du thread : "Re: Oculus Rift S blown me away" .... très approprié! :clap
LF: EGRET 2 *FOUND!* + Shoot 'em up PCB. Let me know what you have!

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:58 am

Mrhide wrote:edit: ... et je viens de voir le titre du thread : "Re: Oculus Rift S blown me away" .... très approprié! :clap

Pas de raison de s'inquieter, il a pris les choses en main. :thumbup

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”