Space is a premium... and the big fish syndrome

Talk about anything that you would like.
Sparky
MAACA OG

Space is a premium... and the big fish syndrome

Postby Sparky » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:31 am

This post is a reflection on things. A bit on the hobby... a lot on businesses and what is happening. So if you don't like long posts, just skip to the last paragraph and you can get the Cliff Notes.

I have been looking on and off for a space for a clubhouse near me for quite some time now. And up until the last 2 years, the problem was that there wasn't any. I live in somewhat a small town (Saint-Lazare, population of about 21000) and there are a few buildings here and there, but all were occupied.

Until now.

So... I should be happy, right?

Well... not quite.

As of late, most of the small businesses in my town have died. For multiple reasons, really...
- The local dollar-store... local garage... hot-dog place... florist... gift shop... brunch restaurant... even a small yoga studio.

All gone and empty.

I drive through my town now and I get this eerie feeling and I remember that scene in the movie Cars (for those who have kids)...

Well, not as dramatic and cartoonish... but it is happening... everywhere. And as much as I thought it was cute and a bit touching in the movie, it has me worried today.

But why is it happening? Well... easy in my town...

The local dollar-store. Run by a local family. They got put out of business when Dollarama opened in the main strip mall in the middle of town. They had no chance. People are like moths seeing the bright lights of the Dollarama sign, and forget that their money is going to a fat cat in Westmount. Agreed, not as bad as the Waltons in the US, but I don't see Larry Rossy, owner of Dollarama, implicate himself in the community.

Add to that the rent that the dollar store was paying. The space is for rent now. 3600 sq.ft for 5000$ a month. Plus taxes. Plus utilities. I will bring this up more as I go.

The local garage? People went to Costco, Walmart and Canadian Tire for their repairs. And the poor owner fell ill. No kids to take over. So, he just closed shop. The property is for sale now.

The hotdog place? This was my weekly guilty pleasure. Closed now. A sign in the window says closed for renovations. Sure... then I am quicker at renovating my gameroom than they are.

And all these 3 stores... all on the same corner.

The florist? Decided to cash in on rising property values. Oh well.

Gift shop? No chance with the prices of rent. Same for the brunch restaurant, and the yoga place.

The funny thing is that I was eyeing that yoga place when it was being built. 75% of the building is occupied by an optometrist office. This yoga space was a small 1100sq.ft space at the back. Not off the street... perfect. But when I saw that a yoga place opened, I wondered how long that would last.

Well, 8 months to be exact. And when I saw the ad for rent, I understood why:

https://www.suttonquebec.com/en/inscrip ... cription=2

18$ per square foot per year... so, at 1100 sq.ft, that is 1650$ per month.

but-wait-theres-more-44084002.png

Add GST, PST (another 250$ per month), and 4$ per sq.ft. per year in sharing costs (city taxes, snow removal, etc... so, another 365$), the rent for that 1100sq.ft yoga studio is a bit over 2260$ a month.

That is 27,120$ per year. So with all the added crap, it is almost 25$ a square foot per year.

Rent is CHEAPER in Montreal. And I have even seen spaces cheaper in Toronto FFS...

No small business can support that. That is insane greed.

Add the fact that many just shop online now, and you don't have to wonder why places are closing.

In fact, the only things that are thriving are the THREE pharmacies (I am not lying... all within a stone throw from each other), the Tim Hortons (which is horrible), the Dollarama, the IGA grocery store, a small Home Hardware... so, you see, mostly all big corporations stores. They do not contribute much, if at all.

One glaring example? Well, I have been living here since 2002, and every St-Jean there was a HUGE parade. All the local businesses had a float and it was great.

This last St-Jean? Take away the fire department, the local classic car collectors, a couple of horse ranches (horses are a big thing here) and a couple of charity organizations, there were FOUR floats. That's IT.

Don't get me wrong... I love living where I am. It is a great community. But I find myself having to drive 10 minutes now to get most things.

(CLIFF NOTES activated)
So... what happens now? Well, even though there are many empty spaces due to small businesses closing by being choked out, they remain empty for a long time, and landlords are still asking for the fucking moon. In fact, they build MORE spaces. Insane... That, and online shopping multiplies. Customer loyalty is non-existant. People feed the rich by preferring big-box stores that give nothing back to your community. And we end up with small towns that have nothing going on anymore. Empty spaces created and maintained empty by greed. The big fish wins.

So... support your local businesses when you can. This also goes for pinball parts. I may pay a bit more, but Robert at Alouette is way more interesting to talk to than my computer on a website.

Because when they disappear... it is gone.

OK... rant over. Back you your regularly scheduled nonsense. LOL
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Re: Space is a premium... and the big fish syndrome

Postby Guard » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:43 am

Buy at Dollarama and you support slavery,.....
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Buccaneer/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Pat Hand /Strange Science/Card Whiz/ Genesis/Jolly Roger / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco/ Stern POTC
Projects- Jacks Open /Stratoflite/ Tri Zone/ Hang Glider
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:48 am

I always support RAB. Plus trips to memory lane and pinball advice are free.
Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

cap
MAACA Half-ling

Postby cap » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:49 am

Road Show, Last Action Hero, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Stargate, F14 Tomcat (in restoration)

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Postby OTTOgd » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:49 am

In Cars 2, Lightning McQueen raced in Japan, Italy, and England for the first-ever World Grand Prix!

... but Mater gets caught up in an intriguing adventure of his own: international espionage!?

mrmikeman
MAACA Wacko

Postby mrmikeman » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:36 am

Sparky wrote:So... what happens now? Well, even though there are many empty spaces due to small businesses closing by being choked out, they remain empty for a long time, and landlords are still asking for the fucking moon. In fact, they build MORE spaces. Insane... That, and online shopping multiplies. Customer loyalty is non-existant. People feed the rich by preferring big-box stores that give nothing back to your community. And we end up with small towns that have nothing going on anymore. Empty spaces created and maintained empty by greed. The big fish wins.

Owners probably have many rental properties. Keeping an empty one up and running costs next to nothing but they can probably use it as a “loss” on the tax returns. That way they don't pay as much on their rented properties. I ain't no accountant but wouldn’t be surprised if it was something like that going on.

I hate people. Especially greedy people.

Mike
Current Lineup:

PINS
STTNG - Alt translite, Pinstadiums, Pinsound board & speakers, full LED, LED&GI OCD, custom topper, ColorDMD
Road Show - full LED, Pinsound & accessory controller(for topper), custom topper
Doctor Who - Alt Translite, moving Dalek, full LED, Pinsound & shaker, LED&GI OCD, ColorDMD
Stern Jurassic Park LE - Pinstadiums, custom topper, bunch of mods (Mezelmod)
NIB MMrRE coming 2020 :shock:

WANTED:
LOTR
SW Prem
WOZ (any edition except YBR)

JUKES
Rock-Ola 446 - Up and running and soon to be on Kijiji :D
Seeburg STD2 Entertainer - Project. I have it working mechanically but no sound yet. :?

Gone but not forgotten
So many... Monster Bash, Twilight Zone, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons Pinball Party, Demolition Man, Terminator 2, Funhouse, Tales from the Crypt, High Speed, Bad Cats, Flintstones, WWF Royal Rumble, Laser War, Laser Ball, Silver Slugger, Batman Forever, Pinbot, 6 Million Dollar Man, Galaxy, Meteor, Countdown, Hot Tip(SS), and others I just can't think of lol.

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:15 pm

mrmikeman wrote:I hate people. Especially greedy people.

Some of the biggest players in the modern economy are landlords. People who find ways to insert themselves in a process and charge you rent for them being there.
WANTED: 1941 Groetchen Pike's Peak, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine, bajazzo clown catcher, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines, 1951 Universal 5 Star
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

Sparky
MAACA OG

Postby Sparky » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:54 pm

All I know is plan B is starting to look good right now.

Backyard - shed + garage = ...

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Postby WARLOCK » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:25 am

Indeed.

EvanDickson
MAACA Buck

Postby EvanDickson » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:53 am

Same thing here in Charlottetown, with similar numbers. I saw a study a year or two ago and we have some of the highest commercial rents in the country, while also having the highest commercial vacancy. Its probably easier in small towns for a monopoly or oligopoly on each estate to form, I guess.

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Postby Chris Silver » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:20 am

It’s true and it’s everywhere. When I looked prices in Hawkesbury they were a little on the high side, but it’s a write off for the owners on their taxes. There’s a whole strip mall with covered windows completely rented by the government for storage. I’m sure they are paying sweet coin.

Mom and pop shops obviously are preferred to deal with, but the big box store have 20 varieties of what you want and it’s cheaper. When the common family is taxed to the tits, you take what you can at the best price. It’s a sad fact.

Most of us are just puppet consumers trying to survive in the corporation of Canada.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Stellar Wars, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Panthera
Vids: Double Dragon 619-1
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy
WTB: Black Knight, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Postby Fifty » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:56 am

I don't mind Dollarama. I bought their stock back in 2015 for under $20 and sold it when they peaked at over $50 3 years later. Solid. It was one of the only times I ever timed the buying/selling of a stock at the right time. As far as shopping there, it doesn't happen. I support my local shops in Kanata, but it's a bit weird here. The pet store is a franchise, Pet Value, but I have a good repertoire with the owner. The Home Hardware, is a franchise, but this tiny store on March Rd. has everything you need in like I swear 100 square feet. It's difficult finding Mom & Pop shops nowadays. The best I can do is support my local Brett's Ice Cream and the auto repair shop (Beaverbrook Auto) which I do whenever I can.

gmaranda
MAACA Chatterbox

Postby gmaranda » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:49 am

Excellent topic Sparky,

We live in a fantasy world. People when making something want to be paid $50 an hour but when they buy they want to pay the cheapest possible. Can't have both. I live in Clarence-Rockland not too far from Ottawa. In 1998 there was a fusion between 5 municipalities with each having its own bank, grocery stores etc. You see the picture? Now all of them have lost all stores except for Rockland that has become the hub. We have Canadian tires, Dollorama, Walmart etc. and a few local stores managing to survive and this is just because for now we have stop growing. However, the residents of the small towns that have lost everything still talk about the good old times when there was competition between each town for everything. The kind of my church is cuter than yours etc. I try to buy local especially for food etc. but I know I am paying more and it is Ok since I do it to help the farmer and the environment.

However, like everyone else I shop around to find the best price and the best price is often in big chains so like most people I prefer to have more money in my pocket so I buy there. We are changing and going back is impossible.

I once bought a hand counter (clicker type) on ebay for $1.50 free shipping. The exact same counter at staple was $22. The person in China still made money with the $1.50 sale with free shipping so can you imagine how many people in between take a cut on this item. That is capitalism and I king of support it to a point. If you just want to shop local sometimes you just pay too much. On the flip side I do like the personal service you get from a local shop. I am a bit of a contradiction.

A small project like your clubhouse will have to start small to survive. You are remote and for me to get there (yes I would) I have to drive 1 hour and 15 minutes. Not something I would do everyday during the week. It is 2 hours and 30 minutes total to go play pinball. I would do it but I don't believe it would be often enough to pay the rent. Many of the clientele you are aiming for already have some machines of their own so they would go for the social aspect. You would also get some customers that simply want some of their childhood back.

I wish you good luck and keep us informed about the grand opening if you go for it.

Note: I have assumed that your clubhouse would be some type of paying establishment

Take care

Gilles

semicolin
MAACA Half-ling

Postby semicolin » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:01 pm

I'm am lucky to have a very decent income and a union job... but that means I give it back. I buy North American wherever possible and support local businesses.

Do I need something printed? Then it goes to Imprimerie Plantagenet, not Vistaprint.

Do I need a new car? Then it's a Ford, not a Kia.

Do I need a new pair of pliers? Then they're Kleins, not Power Fist.

I know not everyone has the option: survive, do what you have to do. For those of us that are fortunate to be able to afford make that choice, our communities can't afford for us not to.

gmaranda
MAACA Chatterbox

Postby gmaranda » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Excellent point Semicolin,

But if you buy North American to support jobs this is excellent but be careful about buying North American just because it was made here. Here are some of Ford suppliers:

Flex-N-Gate Seeburn, Ontario, Canada: door hinges and arms
NHK Spring, Shiga-ken, Japan: suspension stabilizer linkages
U-Shin Europe, Komárom-Esztergom, Hungary: steering columns
Valeo Electric and Electronic Systems, Czechowice-Dziedzice, Poland: starter assemblies
Webasto Roof & Components, Schierling, Germany: sliding sunroofs
Summit Plastics, Nanjing, China: instrument panel components
Dee Zee, Des Moines, Iowa: running boards
Warn Industries, Milwaukie, Oregon: axle assemblies
Chaidneme, Carabobo, Venezuela: mufflers and exhaust systems
Autoliv, Valencia, Spain: airbags

There are no more buying Canadian or American there is only supporting labour. You now have labels stating " assembled in Canada" why? because you are supporting labour not manufacturing.

Sorry for taking over the thread with something different Sparky. I will revert back to your topic.

Take care

Sparky
MAACA OG

Postby Sparky » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:34 pm

No worries. It is a discussion. Not a monologue. Lol

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Postby Fifty » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:04 pm

semicolin wrote:I'm am lucky to have a very decent income and a union job... but that means I give it back. I buy North American wherever possible and support local businesses.

Do I need something printed? Then it goes to Imprimerie Plantagenet, not Vistaprint.

Do I need a new car? Then it's a Ford, not a Kia.

Do I need a new pair of pliers? Then they're Kleins, not Power Fist.

I know not everyone has the option: survive, do what you have to do. For those of us that are fortunate to be able to afford make that choice, our communities can't afford for us not to.

I buy local whenever I can, but only if the quality is there and only if I'm not being taken advantage of simply because it's local. Bulk stores have kept prices reasonable and aligned. I don't care if I go into one store and find an item at $119.99 and $134.99 at another. I'm not going to bother price matching or driving across town to save $35, especially if the higher price is more local.

I remember buying a car stereo adapter off eBay for $79.99. It was one of my more expensive purchases at the time. About a week later I saw the exact same adapter, right down to the packaging for $279.99 at FutureShop. This kind of price discrepancy just gets me irate. Let's just say I wasn't sad to see FutureShop get dissolved.

More specific to Colin's points;

I buy Klein because they are excellent.
I bought a RAV4 (all I will ever drive is Toyota) because they are excellent. Bonus: Manufactured in Ontario.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.

Postby R.A.B. » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:16 am

Sparky wrote : So... support your local businesses when you can. This also goes for pinball parts. I may pay a bit more, but Robert at Alouette is way more interesting to talk to than my computer on a website.

cap wrote:I always support RAB. Plus trips to memory lane and pinball advice are free.

I am not sure that it will make a big difference in the world to buy your parts from me or Alouette, but I really do appreciate the conversations and interactions we share, I do. :D

Yes, sometimes you will pay less than on-line when you buy your parts here depending of how long some of the weirdness you may need has been in stock in this last bastille of an old distributors shop. And then again, some people don't calculate the real cost of what an on-line purchase adds up to. ;)

In any case my friends, the days of wrath are looming it would seem. Everyone seems to know it, yet few of us take action against the inevitable decline of our world as we have known it. The youth are stunned by their screens for the most part, so it makes it hard to revolt and take action when you are spoonfed information that keeps you believing in a conveniently fabricated future where everything is fine and glossy and well lit. :roll:

Capitalism as we live it, has most of us stupidly celebrating the convenience it sells while it tramples on the environment, more than previously I would say. And it is enslaving not only human beings overseas (where we don't have to be witness to it or take responsibility) better yet, this brave new world has found ways to somewhat enslave the middle class and the poor right here and now as we await an adjustment of sorts in the form of either natural disaster, public revolt and/or a provoked destruction in order for new growth to be able to take place once again. Meanwhile, there are more & more hands in the pockets of ordinary folks than ever before as the greedheads compute more ways to get even more & more of your resources and time from our day to day lives, activities, interests and habits. The information they are gathering about spending patterns is a great tool, notice that there are no more telephone surveys at supper time, just more and more point cards that give you a petty reward for revealing your spending habits voluntarily to those that sell you more and more crap. So throw out all your point cards and pay for everything in cash if you can still find a bank with tellers to withdraw enough of your money without being charged for it. :lol:

Capitalism is no longer sustainable as it stands in this period of history, so we will live and eventually die by that sword. There is no way we can keep this economy growing without someone/somewhere paying for it with something other than money, maybe just their lives. Money is the main problem when it accumulates in unimaginable and huge patches, and greed makes the problem worse. How much fucking money do the greedheads need to stop being greedheads, is there a goal or some end to this obscenity ?

I bet ya that if money lost its importance, most of these people would be of no value at all when it comes to the measure of their humanity. Maybe I am wrong and they really care about others and really have no knowledge that their actions & decisions are enslaving and killing so many people, slowly and gradually. I am sure that most would claim that they didn't know about the consequences of their greed, - it is just business and that is good right ?

Ok, enough already - love, art, work and humour are the best things to accumulate and practice in the world I would draw up for us if I could. Meantime, I keep drawing my little life in the most responsible way I can manage knowing that it is a small cry within the wildnerness of the promoted selfishness and paranoia of the masses, keeps us all buying and compensating with all the crap that is available these days. Man oh man there is alot of it, and most of it is pretty useless when you value love, art, work and humour.

Damn, enough already !! Let the cards fall where they may, just hug your mate, your friends and whomever needs human comfort, and most importantly, hold on. Hold on to dear life and please try to contribute a positive verse to these times. Hopefully your small verse will promote a glimmer of light that may awaken something positive in others somewhere/sometime/somehow. If you got this far, you just read mine. :wave

R.A.B.
Last edited by R.A.B. on Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi gueri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule til the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman from sighing, there will be only memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of memories, come hell or calm tides.

P.S. A man needs something to do besides contemplate how crazy everyone has become in a world of overly exaggerated self-importance upheld and maintained by the new dumb.

Guard
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Guard » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:51 am

The capitalism collection of money keeps (most of) us from killing each other to accumliate more and be the king of the cave.
It's wired into our DNA...
PINS- Hit The Deck/ Buccaneer/Sure Shot/Fire Queen/ Volley/ Tee'd Off/ Rollergames/ Star Trip/ Flip Flop/ Combat/ Flash Gordon/ Capt.Card/Bluenote/ Pat Hand /Strange Science/Card Whiz/ Genesis/Jolly Roger / Bally Beat The Clock/ Spanish Eyes/ Outer Space/Bronco/ Stern POTC
Projects- Jacks Open /Stratoflite/ Tri Zone/ Hang Glider
RIP- Sinbad/ Supersonic

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:03 pm

R.A.B. wrote:In any case my friends, the days of wrath are looming it would seem. Everyone seems to know it, yet few of us take action against the inevitable decline of our world as we have known it

You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words and yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!
For more than 30 years, the science has been crystal clear. How dare you continue to look away and come here saying that you're doing enough when the politics and solutions needed are still nowhere in sight.
You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency, but no matter how sad and angry I am, I do not want to believe that. Because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act then you would be evil and that I refuse to believe.
-- https://zeenews.india.com/world/full-te ... 36499.html

R.A.B. wrote:Capitalism as we live it, has most of us stupidly celebrating the convenience it sells while it tramples on the environment, more than previously I would say.

I was fortunate to be born in a time and place where everyone told us to dream big; I could become whatever I wanted to. I could live wherever I wanted to. People like me had everything we needed and more. Things our grandparents could not even dream of. We had everything we could ever wish for and yet now we may have nothing.
Now we probably don’t even have a future any more.
Because that future was sold so that a small number of people could make unimaginable amounts of money. It was stolen from us every time you said that the sky was the limit, and that you only live once.

You lied to us. You gave us false hope. You told us that the future was something to look forward to. And the saddest thing is that most children are not even aware of the fate that awaits us. We will not understand it until it’s too late. And yet we are the lucky ones. Those who will be affected the hardest are already suffering the consequences. But their voices are not heard.
Is my microphone on? Can you hear me?
-- https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ct-in-time

R.A.B. wrote:this brave new world has found ways to somewhat enslave the middle class and the poor right here and now as we await an adjustment of sorts in the form of either natural disaster, public revolt and/or a provoked destruction in order for new growth to be able to take place once again.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... hoto-essay
WANTED: 1941 Groetchen Pike's Peak, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine, bajazzo clown catcher, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines, 1951 Universal 5 Star

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:10 pm

How incredible and terrifying that we get to live at the dawning of a new epoch and the devastation that will come with it.
Anthropocene: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropocene

The human impact on biodiversity forms one of the primary attributes of the Anthropocene. Humankind has entered what is sometimes called the Earth's sixth major extinction. Most experts agree that human activities have accelerated the rate of species extinction. The exact rate remains controversial – perhaps 100 to 1000 times the normal background rate of extinction. A 2010 study found that
marine phytoplankton – the vast range of tiny algae species accounting for roughly half of Earth's total photosynthetic biomass – has declined substantially in the world's oceans over the past century. From 1950 alone, algal biomass decreased by around 40%, probably in response to ocean warming
– and that the decline had gathered pace in recent years. Some authors have postulated that without human impacts the biodiversity of the planet would continue to grow at an exponential rate.

Hug the ones you care about be wary of anyone who refuses to look beyond a corporate balance sheet.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”