Have you been bullied as a kid ?

Talk about anything that you would like.
steamfitter
MAACA Half-ling

Have you been bullied as a kid ?

Postby steamfitter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:55 am

Well i have .

My first encounter was when i was about 7 or 8 years old . I was walking with a friend and a older kid maybe 2 to 3 years older than us walked over and grabbed my friend's hockey stick . My reaction was to grab the stick so he couldn't get away with it . Big mistake , i landed on my ass with a bloody nose then ran home crying .

I walk out of school one day ( i think i was in grade 3 ) and the older kids where on the sidewalk teasing this smaller kid that was older but smaller than me just in height . They kept telling him that i could beat him up because i was taller . I didn't want any part of it still remembering the bloody nose . I tried to get around to get away but was pushed to the ground then kicked and punched by this older smaller kid while the rest of the group cheered him on .

My teen years were no better . My nick name was PIZZA FACE and many more cruel names , one person would start and most would follow in fear of being bullied them self.

I could go on but you get the message.

Where is this going , probably nowhere but i want people to know my story for them to better understand me .

The pain is gone but the memories are still there like it was yesterday .

I am now 51 and treat people with the same respect they give me .

I have many friends in this hobby , well i think i do but i could be wrong i am not perfect .

Please make an effort to stop bulling in it's every form Because if you participate , watch or say nothing YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM .

Denis Prevost
Pins: Black Hole , Flash Gordon, Meteor
Jukebox :1972 Seeburg Olympian sps160 , 1986 seeburg SCD-1
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , star trek , Black Jack , SEGA Space attack

http://WWW.pinballowners.com/steamfitter

Blackghost4
MAACA Buck

Re: Have you been bullied as a kid ?

Postby Blackghost4 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:27 am

I feel for you Denis. I was bullied also in school. I was picked on all the time for being small and skinny. My brothers had to save me all the time.
Then in High School I was picked on for wearing glasses and the type of clothes I wore.
Bullying is a bad thing and no matter what color skin we have or nationality we are we are all equal.
Fernando
Gottlieb Amazing Spider-Man (1980) Gottlieb Bad Girls (1988)
Gottlieb Genesis (1986) Gottlieb Force II (1981) Gottlieb Card Whiz (1976) Gottlieb Striker (1982)
Projects: Williams Hayburners II (1968)
Gone: Williams F-14 Tomcat, Gottlieb Operation Thunder, Williams Expo, Williams Lucky Ace, Gottlieb Buck Rogers, Gottlieb Swing Along

http://www.pinballowners.com/blackghost4

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Postby Fifty » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:27 pm

I was only bullied occasionally and nowadays I probably would have just considered it a good ribbing. Having red/orange hair I got "carrot top" all the time and even now I still get "ginger" but it doesn't bother me until someone adds profanity to it like "Fucking ginger". At this point it becomes derogatory and I'll speak up. I did witness bullying in my public school and I remember not participating in it, but I also remember not really trying to stop it. I remember it vividly only because I knew it was wrong and felt helpless and it was probably the first time I ever felt that way. I also remember telling my friends to leave the person alone which usually only tempered it for a single recess. I don't remember bullying being talked about then, like it is now. I don't remember the kid being bullied ever reporting it to a teacher, and I never thought to speak to an adult about it either. There wasn't a rule at school telling you what to do when bullying happened so most of us didn't know what to do. A poor excuse I know, but as a kid you needed rules to give you direction.

At my kids school their is a zero tolerance for bullying. That means it still happens, but not to the level I witnessed when I was in school. There is no physical bullying that I am aware of and the name calling isn't as cruel. I asked my son if he ever heard the term "4 eyes" (he wears glasses) and he responded no. He wasn't familiar with it. This gives me a level of hope that some of the bullying and cat calls are not being handed down to the next generation.

Murphelman
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby Murphelman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:57 pm

I was bullied for my size when I was a kid. I was short and skinny so was smaller than most kids. I don't remember a lot of it when I was younger.

When I was 13-14 I moved from Bayshore to Kanata in Ottawa. Bayshore was known for not being the best area in the city so I grew up there and could handle a lot of shit. It was mostly Head bangers and metal music and I was right in there with it.

Kanata was very preppy so I decided to try to change my look to fit in and what happens when I get there? All the head bangers at the new school in Kanata started picking on the new tiny preppy kid.

Inside I was just like them and on the outside I was just trying to fit in. Well this backfired as I was trying to look one way and was being picked on by the same type of people who I still hung out with after school from Bayshore. This was a very tough time for me trying to find who I really was. I was never really scared because I saw a lot of shit where I grew up so was a little hardened I guess but was not easy even though I was never scared.

I said screw it and started being myself and I guess things got better but I was always small....until I hit 16 and had a growth spurt. At that point I was still not big by any means but was definately not the smallest anymore.

I am now worried my son may be going through something but is not saying anything. I was tougher back in the day so was able to handle it. I don't know if kids are the same these days to go through it.

He got glasses a few weeks ago and wore them to school once and has not since. He said someone made fun of him. We also had to buy him another lock because he said the guy beside him smashed it on the floor. I have asked him a number of times if he is being bullied. He is saying no but is pretty quiet about it.
Own
Stern: Black Knight: SoR, Iron Maiden, Deadpool, Walking Dead, Jurassic Park
Bally/Williams: Shadow (out on trade), Twilight Zone, Demolition Man, Fish Tales, Judge Dredd, Jack*Bot
Data East: Nothing
Gottlieb: Nothing
Bally: Future Spa, F14 Tomcat
Williams: Laser Ball

Wishlist
Baywatch, Transformers, X-Men, Stern Star Trek, Paragon, Metallica, GnR, GoT
:mrgreen:

cait001
MAACA Wacko

Postby cait001 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:28 pm

schools are waaaaaay better at addressing and confronting bullying these days. Really amazed at the progress, actually.
WANTED: 1941 Groetchen Pike's Peak, 1972 Bally Continental Bingo slot machine, bajazzo clown catcher, European upright machines, pre-1950s Japanese machines, 1951 Universal 5 Star
backglasses wanted: Star-Jet, Fire Queen, Fairy, Out Of Sight
marquees wanted: Strider, Varkon, Dark Planet, R-Type (w/ship), Quantum
blog -- collection -- Pinball Women Ottawa -- Ottawa Pinball Map -- ratings

pharoah007
MAACA Wacko

Postby pharoah007 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:31 pm

I had a few bullies.

Every one of them got punched in the face after a while. Regardless of if I win or lost the flight followed, that same person never bullied me again.
"I am content sitting on my lawnchair, watching the trainwrecks happen right in front of me. I can't save the world anymore."
-Sparky
"Bag of bananas for a buck"
- Allentown produce Nazi
"Balsamic please"
- Best thing I ever heard at Steak n' Shakes
"Friendship is not about what you NEED from the other person."
- Me
I am with us.

OTTOgd
MAACA OG

Postby OTTOgd » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:59 pm

HEY! YOU ALL SHADDUP AND TALK BOUT VIDS AND PINBALL OR ...

punch160328.jpg

However, my 11-year old son just entered a Grade 6-8 school and he's been bothered a few times. I told him to punch back if necessary.

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Postby Fifty » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:33 pm

OTTOgd wrote:However, my 11-year old son just entered a Grade 6-8 school and he's been bothered a few times. I told him to punch back if necessary.

I told my kid the same thing. He was getting picked on and bullied in a summer day camp. It stressed the hell out of me. If you can avoid putting your kids into summer camps - do it. You work so hard to find a camp they might like, then the camp is full, or the camp won't allow siblings to pair up due to their age difference. It just stresses the fuck out of me and I have to fill an entire summer with camps, at least 5-6 of them, not to mention it costs a fortune.

Anyway, this one kid was picking on my son. I made sure I had the full story, spoke to the councillor about it and they in turn spoke to both kids. That was Monday at pick-up. Tuesday was a repeat of Monday. Wednesday was more of the same and that's when I broke. I told him if the kid laid a hand on him again to put his fist into the side of his jaw and smash his teeth out.

It was not one of my finer moments, but I can only take so much before I snap.

steamfitter
MAACA Half-ling

Postby steamfitter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 pm

WOW not what i expected , glad the kids are ok but that could of went either way :FP:
Projects : fireball (home edition ) , seeburg LPC-1 , star trek , Black Jack , SEGA Space attack

steamfitter
MAACA Half-ling

Postby steamfitter » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:09 am

This is how i solved the bulling at school for my kid . We decide to move out of Vanier ( where i had spent most of my life ) and bought a house in Orleans . We joined https://patenaudemartialarts.com/progra ... -for-kids/ for him confidence, respect and control ://www.fangshendo.com/ and i needed to lower my cholesterol and loose weight :FP: . We traveled Vanier / Orleans for over a year 2 to 3 days a week till the house was finished . I think the confidence grew a little to much because he started standing up for his friends even to the older kids with his favorite line DO YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME ( and no kid ever got punched in the face , just standing up to the bullies in his case was enough for them to leave him alone ) . We moved to Orleans and never had issues . I lost 48 lbs in my first 6 months . He's 19 now and turned out a great young man , i.m very proud of him .
Attachments
133.JPG
348.JPG
350.JPG
Last edited by steamfitter on Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

steamfitter
MAACA Half-ling

Postby steamfitter » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:16 am

more pics
Attachments
135.JPG
465.JPG
126.JPG
081.JPG

Sparky
MAACA OG

Postby Sparky » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:17 am

I am happy that this subject has come to light. Regardless of a forum's natural subject, this is something that needs to be brought up.

I had somewhat a similar situation. Regardless of what I did, I never seemed to fit in and was picked on relentlessly. I was a kid that spoke perfect French, went to French school, yet with an English name. I was an athlete as a teen (yeah... what happened, right? LOL) and also a 95% average student. I had jocks call me a fucking nerd, nerds call me a fucking jock, English people call me a frog, and French people called me an "osti d'Anglais" (even very recently... and I still don't want to talk about it). As a younger teen, I was very skinny and was beaten up on a regular basis. When I hit 14, something clicked. I had had enough and in those days, the system didn't give a shit. My parents didn't seem able to handle it either. So, I decided to take things into my own hands.

I exited grade 8 at 5' 10" and 128lbs. A year later, I was an angry 215lbs. One bully that was relentless (and stupid) decided to have a go, even though he clearly saw I was not the same size. ... I made an example of him. The kid that bloodied my nose and stole my lunch money almost every day the year before ended up getting brought by his cronies to Lakeshore hospital (a few blocks away from my school) with a few broken bones.

And that was then end of the bullying. But... the few friends I had became afraid of me. So, not much better. But even today, the insults still hit a raw nerve. It's funny that someone can call me a fat fuck and it doesn't even phase me, as my weight gain came from depression later in life, but insults that I got as a kid still... hurts.

I even recently attended a high school reunion where some of my past bullies were there, and even very apologetic about their behavior. I shook their hand and just said "no biggie"... but the 13 year old inside me was screaming, and the 16 year old was ready to take their head off.

Fast forward 30 years or so, and my son was now going through a similar situation. Last school year, he was relentlessly bullied by another. Funny thing is that Brian is almost 6' tall, and this other kid was a few inches below 5', but I have always said that it is the small ones you have to worry about. This kid even went as far as to stab Brian in the leg with a small compass, and threaten him with a pencil to the eye. I did many visits to the school to get it fixed... no go. But... this little fucker did a FATAL mistake...

... he followed Brian home after school and bullied him OFF school grounds. I scared the living shit out of that pipsqueak so bad that his parents came running, threatening me with the cops. LOL. So, I made a deal with them. Go talk to the school. And if there are NO reports of him bullying others, go ahead and call the cops.

No cops came. And even better, I found out that this little idiot was hiding all the reports from his parents and falsifying signatures on his "tickets". Result? When hitting high school, he was sent to one for juvenile delinquents.

Brian is happy now, as the high school he is at has a ZERO tolerance for bullying. I found out why. I had a chat with the principal on a visit day. He told me his story. He could have also posted here...

Point of it all, bullying leaves scars that open easily... they never truly heal. But it helps to talk about it.

Ian

PS: Yeah yeah Kevin. I bought another pinball. Happy? LOL
Patron saint of lost pinball causes.

Stage 5B. All except for NIB crap.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4742&p=40349&hilit=stages#p40349

shane
MAACA QuarterPounder

Postby shane » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:42 pm

Wow, great topic I didn't think I'd see here tonight.
1st point is to say that I made sure to use my 1st given name as a username on maaca from day 1. No web anonymity for me to hide behind.
2nd and most importantly, bullying sucks, period.
It's a form of fear I believe.
I hate when I have to establish a pecking order with another human being,,,,,,,lifes shorter than that.........
Shane. "Just because I love pinball doesn't mean I'm any good".

steamfitter
MAACA Half-ling

Postby steamfitter » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:44 am

Thanks for sharing your stories . I know it's not always easy to talk about it even if it happened many years ago but it's the only way to expose the problem .

Bulling at our age is not a lot different . YES at our age bulling still happens in our work place , in public and at social events . Here is an examples from my point of view.

Happen to me a couple of years ago at a AECON orientation day . We where in Ottawa and we where sitting at a round table with maybe 6 or 7 of us at the table . I was speaking french with a guy from Gatineau while the others were speaking English between them self,we were just talking regular stuff kids and family when this guy at the table slammed his fist on the table and said SPEAK ENGLISH WHERE IN CANADA trying to give me the tough guy look :FP: so i got in his face and waited for the first punch ....nothing . Big tough guy with his words THAT'S IT and no one got punched out but looked like a fool when i stood up and he didn't do anything NOT A WORD CAME OUT OF HIM . I've worked construction all my life and never got paranoid when someone spoke a language i didn't understand . I guess some people take that as a treat .For me it always feels weird talking to someone in a different language than what your used to . Is it just me ?

So he tried to use fear to make me speak English only ,but the adult way would of been to ask in a proper way .

In my book if you use fear and violence to get what you want YOUR A BULLY

Denis

Fifty
MAACA Motormouth

Postby Fifty » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:38 pm

How old was the guy that slammed his fist on the table? Same generation as yourself or an older generation? I want to apologize on behalf of English speaking Canada for that dickhead. Can you imagine if you slammed your fist on the table and demanded him to speak French? Was this the same guy that asked Jagmeet Singh to take his turban off so he'd look more Canadian? People are so fucking ignorant. I honestly don't understand what prompts people to say and do shit like this.

steamfitter
MAACA Half-ling

Postby steamfitter » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:08 am

He was in his mid 30s , it happened a few times . I'm a pretty easy going guy . treat me with respect and i'll treat you with respect . In my generation if i was disrespectful and my dad caught me or heard about it there was consequences and learned at young age to respect others . It's called TOUGH LOVE .

Wednesday night at the union meeting he showed up and i waved him over to come sit beside me . We talked like nothing ever happened (i haven't seen him in over a year). He's a certified high pressure welder now , you never no maybe one day i'll be his fitter . Pipefitter's and welders work together prepping pipe and fittings that need to be welded together . A steamfitter certified to work on high pressure steam pipping .

Denis

steamfitter
MAACA Half-ling

Postby steamfitter » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:39 am

I think there's only a few bad apple in the bunch . I've worked with French guys that wanted to speak English so they can practice and English guys that wanted to learn some French because there kids we're in French immersion school .

Let's get along and play PINBALL

patmanqc
MAACA Buck

Postby patmanqc » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:40 pm

When I was eight or nine there was a kid living across the street who would sometimes be my friend and sometimes be a bully. He was a couple of years older and quite a bit bigger. I recall somebody telling me to stand up for myself and not let them do that and I think it was my dad but I'm not really sure. So I can recall going out in the front yard and telling him to come over so I could show him something. As he got close I wound up and punched him in the stomach as hard as I could. He doubled over in pain and ran back to his house crying. I was kind of freaked out so I went back in the house and close the door. About 10 minutes later there was a knock at the door. There he stood with a mean look on his face. I just played it off and said hey what's up. He said my dad told me to come over and beat you up. I said that's nice and close the door.

I don't recall the bullying being as bad after that.

Although I was bullied later in junior high and high school. It really sucks. Both times that I can recall it happening it was always with a pack of friends so there wasn't much I could do.

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”