ROUTINE ON THE ROAD – REFUGE BY THE RIVERSIDE

Talk about anything that you would like.
R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko
Location: Fluttering above the trees and the bushes on the Island of the Nones.
Been liked: 12 times

Re: ROUTINE ON THE ROAD – REFUGE BY THE RIVERSIDE

Post by R.A.B. »

Many routines have been broken of late. Gradually for some, and quite suddenly for others.

The break from the routines became evident in Ontario yesterday, and today, it has become quite clear in Quebec as well, - big time. We are the non-essential businesses. :?: Indeed, the majority of our occupations are just that, non-essential to being alive & well. How does that feel ? This realization of how superfluous what we do daily may well become clearer via this time of forced reflection as the focus on the essentials of being well takes precedence over what we normally do. The question may also occur to some (given these times and this resulting situation) - "What the hell are we doing here except working to pay bills to some entity as we keep pretending that we can own stuff ? To what great purpose, goal or end result are we doing this ?" Well, don't take it so hard, it will all come clean via the washing of your hands. The governments and the banks are here to help you remember. Indeed, crisis brings out all sorts of non routine like behaviours. The life goal as I see it must be intrinsic to the process of existence. Get drunk, laugh, sing, love, dance, be silly, create and all that more life affirming stuff and you will probably be happier, - but this here may not be the right time for all that.

Routines are being busted up all over the place and that may be good in some ways, makes room for new things to come forth. There will likely be a renaissance by late summer, maybe later. But as always, the beginning of something positive, or something we wanted to make happen is always the best part of the experience, later it inevitably becomes routine again via repetition. Beginnings rule, routine follows. So make sure you are present for that and live that to the hilt when the time arrives to dance cheek to cheek with others you like. And when the profiteers who identify/analyze your habits settle in again via the return to your routines, (likely by the holiday season), the opportunists will go back for the data of patterns made available to them in order to put some crap down in front of you as you happily go along your path. Well, live that as well because most of the fun will have likely drained out of the renaissance by then. The other good thing about having the routines busted up is that it makes smart people think and dumb people worry, the latter group often not coming up with any significant results. Worrying is like hemorrhoids, they are pretty damn useless wherever they are, on your brain or elsewhere. Be brave and hunker down for the next chapter, always look forward and further, think, read and write things down. Create newness and live all the joys and sorrows that follow. Damn it, I sound like a hippie again, enough. Ah fuck it,- be light & bright through this strife, and if you can't just do that, be useful as well.

As for last Saturday the 21st, it was a day to stop and reflect. Not being on the road fixing shit like I usually do was weird. So, it was a time to walk & talk with one of the female type Caesars in my hood. We talked softly, walked briskly and still managed to lay low while both watching out for that bastard Brutus lurking in the shadows. He didn't show, and now the Ides of March have passed. We are now waiting for April fool's day while still very much reflecting upon what is coming down the pipe. Still hauling a busload of hope in tow as to finding one more way to sneak under the fence in this bizzness of life, work, humour, art and love and keep building until the next break in the routine forces us to restart our world.

As of today, I see that there is plenty of time to reflect, and there will most likely be more time in the days to follow, so time to plan a new & fresh path by making room for it. Personally, I value this as a very rare & special opportunity to help others and take time to look at this life once again, but more deeply. There is usually little time available in our daily routine to plan and give attention to others because of the profound extent that those established routines we normally live by begin to inhabit/inhibit our imaginations. So now is a good time for many of us to reinvent our lives, a sort of fucked up & twisted springtime that looms beyond all this sickness calling us to see life differently and making the smarter ones of us realize how unimportant some (read most) things are. Again, the paradox - everything is important, yet nothing is. And when this blows over, don't let them fool you again into thinking that you matter all that much beyond your next purchase of some crap they targeted you with, the proof is in the pudding while the cemeteries are overflowing with individuals who thought they were irreplaceable.

In any case, I brought an industrial looking shredder home from work to review and to do away with some of my old sins as my boss would say. I hope three weeks will be enough time to clear a significant path for some new beginnings. Three weeks may turn into three months, who knows. I am pretty sure that we will see at least signs of a renaissance this year, let's hope for it.

Indeed, am taking this time to throw out the physical representations of a past lurking in shoeboxes and binders all locked up in an old wooden school classroom cabinet filled with notes, notes, notes, journals and journals and letters and letters from friends and foes and small objects, lots of objects from the long and winding road that lays behind. Evidently, there now is more useless baggage from my having changed since the last time I purged this time capsule, but there are still a few things and ideas that still speak to me from that past. There are still objects and writings which after this present review continue to stand up to time. And at this particular juncture, - I am still on the road in a way, even as I sit quietly reflecting and writing. I will likely want to see and read what I am writing here in 10 years or so.

But still, I am siffenning the now irrelevant stuff shelf by shelf from this present perspective, that is all I can do to lighten the load. So making room for a future is always best people. Take the time to get rid of the superfluous nonsense in your lives, yes, the majority of us have truckloads of it when you find the courage (and time) to dig deep. This is a good time to see and recognize the bullshit which inhabits our life & of our times. Enough, I know that it can be painful for some to look back, so from the past I offer this to you, a short poem from a friend, an old room mate, about painful occurrences and finding meaning as a means to go on.

May 1985

But there, the pen has moved,
light has shone:
to say it well.
triumphs over night's cold grip.

A real cry of pain
knows no pause to ask,
how best expressed ?
how best shared ?
how a meaning is found,
and a handsome profit made.

It cries itself so loud,
it is but itself.
It knows no good or ill intent,
it does not seek to harm or heal -
It is itself and only pain.

Virtual hugs and stay strong.

R.A.B.
Fail to plan, plan to fail
Fail to plan, plan to fail
http://www.montrealpinball.com
http://www.northstarpinball.com
http://www.alouetteamusement.com

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.
Une règle suivi guéri de tout. A rule respected can cure anything.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will then only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of occurrences to recall come hell or calm tides.

In real life I always preferred the exceptional qualities in any normal state of affairs. But alas, so many of us have suddenly become exceptional via a world wide web of self-promotion upheld by the new dumb that it has made the quest for something truly exceptional much more difficult to notice.

"Ah, you goddamn writers, never a good word for anything. Hell, you never really know what the frag they will say or do next." My Alter Ego

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by WARLOCK »

This is the right time;
To lighten that load.
Prepare for the road;
Make room for the new.

Find out the nature of this,
Rather than the meaning of that.

30 words (for the mind) in 2020

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Chris Silver »

WARLOCK wrote:This is the right time;
To lighten that load.
Prepare for the road;
Make room for the new.

I like this very much. This is a very pure truth.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Panthera, Baby Pac Man, Blackout, Alien Poker
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars
WTB: Black Knight, Fathom, Split Second, Nine Ball
Its better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

Awoke in the new year,
Feeling no fear.
Near to invincible
Accosted by fate.
Can’t get a break, so break we take.

Not following poetic rules, but wanted that off my chest.
Pins: Spirit, Centaur II, Af-Tor, Embryon, Black Hole, Elektra, Timeline, Silverball Mania, Panthera, Baby Pac Man, Blackout, Alien Poker
Gone: Space Station, Top Score, Flash Gordon, Solar Fire, Haunted House, Fire (x2), Vector, Bally Playboy, Tropic Isle, Beat the Clock, Blue-Chip, Disco, Punk!, Lightning, Time Fantasy, 8 Ball Deluxe LE, Double Dragon, Stellar Wars

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Post by WARLOCK »

Chris Silver wrote:
Awoke in the new year,
Feeling no fear.

Near to invincible (then wait,)
Accosted by fate.

(Just) can’t get a break,
(Yet-a-pause) we take.

Not following poetic rules, but wanted that off my chest.
That is pretty good Chris...
Did a little edit for you... (edit's in brackets)...
yes, I just invented the word (yetapause) for you...

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Post by WARLOCK »

Chris Silver wrote:
WARLOCK wrote:This is the right time;
To lighten that load.
Prepare for the road;
Make room for the new.

I like this very much. This is a very pure truth.
Thanks bro. This is (one) perspective's summary of R.A.B.'s post and the "truth" of it has revealed itself to me in several phone call discussions that Robert and I have had over the last month or so. (as well as this post of course)
Once I could get back to this post and re-read it again in my own time, I knew what I had to write about. Because our routine's have been so disrupted with world events of late, it has taken me far longer to respond than normal.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Extraordinary times aren't they ? That is the least one can say with some certainty.

I think that a better approach to this thread may be to lay down some poetry instead of prose in an attempt to convey the complicated feelings and thoughts which some of us are having lately. :ugeek: Now is the best time to do this, wouldn't you say ?

Metaphor allows the writer to reveal/share a truth in a round about manner which straight up writing can not do, even as it makes the attempt to expose a truth via clear and reasonable prose. Maybe the difference is that metaphors implicate the reader in a deeper fashion since it asks them to use their own imagination and interpretation skills in relation to the words and the meaning created via the combination of those chosen words which are used in facilitating a better chance at deeper understanding to occur due of the poetic undertones which an epiphany usually demands. :ugeek: :geek: :ugeek: Fawk, what did I just write ?

It pisses me off to no end that I am a shitty poet. The closest I can get is writing prose with a poetic undertone, but WTF, that may not "cut it" in this here and now. However I do occasionally find some comfort in what ChrisSilver would say, - “It is what it is”. I usually fight that when he coughs it up in resignation to something he finds too bothersome to dissect, but not today. :lol: Or maybe he says that phrase in order not to engage me in some sort of long winded shit mill discourse which I may author and later ignite. :lol: It is easier to just talk about pinball isn't it ?

So much is left unsaid concerning what most of us are feeling and thinking while trying to wrap our heads around this situation, globally and locally. I have been off the grid lately, mainly because a need to think for myself arose radically around the Ides of March when toilet paper sales were up. I find it difficult to listen to some people's reactions and speculations in the face of this complex crisis which has multiple & intricate facets. Health is not the only factor being messed with here, economics and social behaviour, responsibility and interactions are also experiencing a huge kick in the pants. And possibly on the good side of this thing, “the man” will have to change his approach as the perspectives and real life objectives of the general population's mindset change radically in and through this crisis. Hopefully changing towards a deeper more questioning way of looking at their lives and at who really makes the choices in relation to their routines. Maybe finally reclaiming some of the freedom to actually choose the road that they are on. Yes, that is a truckload, and not everyone can grasp the immensity of what the implications of this thing will end up being. In a nutshell, and when we finally begin to come out of this, we will likely experience a renaissance of sorts or an economic recession and it's anybody's guess right now. In any case, it is safe to say that we will be subject to some big changes in respect to our pre-covid-19 routines.

A couple of good friends here on the forum and off the forum have shared their observations, revelations, uncertainties and frustrations over the horn with me in the past couple of weeks. The phone works great these days and we are using it more and more. It works, as it did before the web, hell, you can actually talk to the person instead of writing to them. I encourage everyone with a philosophical thought about this period, or who harbour a questioning spirit (might be the same condition) to use the phone, and not just to avoid contact. Every night I make sure to call a friend I consider intelligent so as to hear what their current understanding of the situation we are all living is, - together and apart. And that is where I get my news and updates from because I know the person I am talking with and who is reporting their understanding. I know them as real people and inevitably have affinities with them since we are friends, so I personally know them as a familiar source for the information I am receiving via their filters which I also have an idea about. Friends have no vested interest in making things sound one way or another. We are talking without censorship or intent to make something incredulous or sensational or blow something out of proportion and carefully take out of context. And yes, we know that some people are acting in a careless fashion while they are out in public, I have seen it in some neighbourhoods, especially in some lower income hoods where people seem to be more careless about the social distancing thing amongst other regulations. So the media pushes the pandemic issue to hit hard in the general public's psyche, and I agree completely this time. It is better to be over-cautious and look silly in at the supermarket and the pharmacy and the liquor and mary jane temporary mental health outlets than to act carelessly in the face of this thing which may be bigger than it appears. Most people are stupid and have to be scared in order to be made to react a certain way. There is nothing easier to control than a scared population, and in this case it is a damn good tactic to use when some of them do not willingly wash their hands often and don't stay home because they are bored. Again, self importance needs to take a back seat here, in fact you may as well lock it up in the dirty trunk of your caboose for now and stop being self-righteous about how bored you may be, we do not know all that we are dealing with here or later.

Still, - what are you really seeing ? What are you thinking ? Are you still managing to have your own thoughts as we wallow in a worldwide sea of perspectives and media reporting that display a bunch of people's reactions whom you do not know and whose comments are often presented as “information”, - wait a minute. I guess it can still be information in a way, and in the information age it is the commodity of choice. Hell, everyone should have as much of it as they can get, right - regardless of facts or the source of the dope. No one mentions interpretation much anymore in the information age. Information just rules, it is good to have no matter what, and have as much as you can get cause you will feel informed and smarter. Believe it, there is tons of it out there, but what you need to do is especially believe the information coming off your own screen, it is tailored to you. Maybe, when you have a moment, consider the source and how you interpret the way it is presented. Maybe that is key to understanding this ocean of data made available as you allow yourself to wallow and float in it. I prefer to swim and talk to people I know who have done their own thinking while always respecting the 2 meter thing, you never know who is infected with something undesirable resulting from the information they were expose to or the people that have touched them.

In absorbing the information put out there, some people get stupid, some get angry, some get self-righteous and some who understand the wider world beyond their own front door decide to act responsibly and leave behind their self-importance all together, hats off to them for sure. Self-importance is of little use in this present situation, in fact it should be frowned upon, especially by all those who are being as socially responsible as possible in this context without getting restless.

There remains an innate need for people to believe in something clear and stable, even when there may be little that is known and made public as clear and stable (read also as reliable) especially on a worldwide stage. We are still learning stuff about this thing and as the info comes in, usually quite incomplete as it is and then only to change again the next day, it is making some people who are following too closely completely loopy. That is the nature of this thing, the data changes daily. I am watching people in my entourage become borderline neurotic instead of adjusting their behavior in a responsible manner while trying to understand the complexity of this situation. Some people are cleaning and scrubbing their environment excessively thinking that they can get the virus out from inside a cupboard in their home that hasn't been cleaned in the past year, so they disinfected it and feel much better afterwards. Meanwhile, others are fondling the vegetables at the supermarket thus resulting in still others asking why their salad tastes like dish washing soap. These are incredible times where almost anyone, after a quick and hasty talk about hygiene can immediately start a temporary job delivering the food you ordered on line because it is safer to do so than going out and infecting others since you haven't cleaned under your kitchen sink yet. It is a big system of ifs, whens, where and maybes for many, so it makes sense that we have to play it safe, best strategy possible. And again, It is ok if we look crazy doing so, knida of entertaining to watch and to participate in. And remember to wash the top of your beer cans with soap and water before drinking its juice, the guy who delivered the beer may have forgotten his gloves that morning before going to work and may have picked his nose. God bless.

OK, you get my drift. If you don't get it,just call me and we can talk.

I am a shitty poet contrary to Scott and Bank-coil and now Chris :shock: This saddens me greatly and then some, but wait.....Silver said that we can break the rules of poetry, if there are any at all that stand up to this day and age. I think he is right on that proposition/observation, still it is 42-42-42 in the end, it is what it is.

Too complex are these days to believe in any truth.
Why is that ? Well, these are extraordinary times.
Some know that there is no "out" from this without strife.
There is no pure truth, hell that would simply be divine.
Truth is measured by how long it holds up in a perceived reality.

This is a strange springtime to be sure. I feel the urges of life wanting to come forth, but this time around there is a major struggle between sunshine and darkness. They will both be lurking on our path towards a summer that may go either way. Hang on people, hang on.

Rab
Last edited by R.A.B. on Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maxed out at 10 machines, no more no less. Toujours a 10 machines, pas moins pas plus.

A philosophy of doing shall rule until the days when I can no longer "do" arrive. Because when I am too old to wipe my own ass, adjust an AX relay or relieve a woman friend from sighing, there will then only be memories to fill my time. So, the task at hand is to build a RRSP of occurrences to recall come hell or calm tides.

In real life I always preferred the exceptional qualities in any normal state of affairs. But alas, so many of us have suddenly become exceptional via a world wide web of self-promotion upheld by the new dumb that it has made the quest for something truly exceptional much more difficult to notice.

"Ah, you goddamn writers, never a good word for anything. Hell, you never really know what the frag they will say or do next." My Alter Ego

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

R.A.B. wrote: Health is not the only factor being messed with here, economics and social behaviour, responsibility and interactions are also experiencing a huge kick in the pants. And possibly on the good side of this thing, “the man” will have to change his approach as the perspectives and real life objectives of the general population's mindset change radically in and through this crisis. Hopefully changing towards a deeper more questioning way of looking at their lives and at who really makes the choices in relation to their routines. Maybe finally reclaiming some of the freedom to actually choose the road that they are on.
I'm going to try to avoid fancy wording, take this laterally and stick to a thought.....

The best way to change the world is to basically - change the world. The general population has obtained a "me" mindset. We have been doing what we want and anything we choose. This is easily proven by searching absolutely whatever you want on the internet and you can find the most twisted absurd videos and comments possible. Generally "we" have become decadent and often notably self righteous as a middle class. Notice our constant lack of basic human respect given to our presidents and prime ministers. That has been tolerated, but don't dare lash out at a loved celebrity or say "you people". We have also started to grow very strong in our collective diversity. This could prove problematic to the 1%. Let's hit a pop bumper and change this ball's trajectory.

The fun thing about conspiracy theories is that often they are true. The best way to make a conspiracy look like a farce is to create it, point it out and plaster all sorts of side stories and misinforming theories. This will have the people you're trying to fool discredit it for you.

There has been a popular psychology belief since the 1960's that it takes 21 days to break a habit. Realistically you can't break a habit, but you can rewrite over it. You can replace it. There is always the sequence, you just need to reprint a new pattern on top of it.

The world is on lockdown and presently being rebooted. What comes of it when we crawl out of our holes is a deep question. We won't return to the world we had. It no longer exists. We will design the future ourselves be it through our own wants or what we have been told we want. I consider myself an average person which would mean half of the world is "stupider than I". Will you choose the red pill or the blue pill? I might just abstain and self medicate. I fear the middle class will turn to a more socialist mindset in thoughts of safety and security. Sure we are all equal, but we are put into ever smaller boxes of diverse equality leaving us disunited and in unilateral competition. A lot of small businesses and rising companies will be decimated by the turn of events leaving a larger gap between the middle class and larger corporations. All the mice will be more equal and unable to control the cat.

Ball off the slingshot now, a witty man on maaca once said he would sit back on his lawnchair and watch the trainwreck unfold before him.

My mind is like a sea of alphabet soup. I find it hard to collect the letters to make coherent conversation. Half the time when I speak I'm not sure if I make any sense at all.

Anyway, I'm just bullshitting all of you now. I need to stop babbling. Nothing I said is true heaven forbid. I just wanted you to taste some soup I made. Ball drain.
Last edited by Chris Silver on Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

At first I look I thought that the authorities in Ottawa had finally developed a sense of humour, - but alas no.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/c ... -1.5527387

An old girlfriend from Ottawa sent me the above link this morning and I had to forward it. She said that it would certainly provide me with a damn good belly laugh, and she was right ofcourse. I am sure most of us here who grew up with Monty Python will at least have a hearty chuckle.

It is wonderful to see how well her and I still know so much about each other and who we still are at base. Well, we were young and excited about everything while together for a few crucial years, so it makes sense. Most of us have build & strengthened the basis of our adult characters in our 20's.

In a way it's too bad that it is so difficult to maintain that same youthful level of excitement about life now, but I think it makes sense that we can't in the same way. We are sort of forced to pace ourselves later, say after middle age, prevents heart attacks and accidents when you are less excited most of the time. I guess that this is why I tend to accumulate and document memories & events. Good memories especially, they are something valuable to have when and if you get to the very end of your life at which time you will more than likely be unable to do many of the the things you did previously, at least not with the same vigor and intensity, if any at all. Fawk !

Oh yeah - I was going to reply to your post Chris, maybe I will later via a longer winded manner once I get back from another long walk & talk this morning with that 9th floor female Ceasar like neighbour of mine called Irma, just like the hurricane and in her mid 50's to boot.

But for now - Chris I love the metaphor about your brain and alphabet soup. I am sure almost everyone here can understand that description. Having mangaled thoughts in one's head and trying to find an order to them somehow, well, I think you did a great job at untangling some of the non-sense in alot of brain pans with your post.

You are a godman poet Silver.

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

The problem with Philosophy is that it’s too much thinking about “why’s” and reality.

Is there a more obtuse version or has that been the common practice and norm of the masses? Has anyone ever considered the incorporation of nesciene into Philosophy or is that considered politics?

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

“We won't return to the world we had. It no longer exists. We will design the future ourselves be it through our own wants or what we have been told we want. I consider myself an average person which would mean half of the world is "stupider than I”. - ChrisSilver

Now that's a truth that will hold water for a while, bravo Chris. I think almost all the members here would agree on the first part of that quote, and those who don't know you personally will most likely agree with the whole tamale. So nice score on that one.

The part about considering yourself “an average person”, well that is a matter of opinion and has less to do with truth. If you ask me, or some of the borderland boys how they see you compared to the general pop here on MAACA, the answers will differ, so in this case truth is not a stable element in your statement...it fluctuates, and that my friend is where the questioning comes in handy, but let's leave that alone for now, just know that we appreciate you for your quirky alphabet soup brain, reversed epiphanies and your sincere and recent efforts in sorting that out for us.

Moving on.

“Has anyone ever considered the incorporation of nescience into Philosophy or is that considered politics? “

You slay me Silver. I interpret the above statement as a sure fire sign that you are a wise ass, and then again maybe not. Maybe it is a legitimate question. I however immediately saw it as a shot at our political systems. Imagine that, philosophical thought mixed with the ignorance of facts and that combo equaling politics, - now there is a science. Political science it is called, and you can even get a few university degrees with that flavour. It is audacious on your part to assume that a mix of philosophical thought and the ignorance of scientific facts could possibly inhabit our leaders, especially trump. What an embarrassment it must be to a socially responsible citizen and be represented by that creature to the rest of the world. I will agree with you that our leaders are no philosopher kings, but man oh man, that is part of what I am leading up to.

So wishful thinking Silver about considering yourself average, no one is average that can claim that out loud and believe it. You have a twisted sense of humour. I can say that because I have been around it, and to me that means that you are smarter than the average bear. If I had to point out what your most average personality trait is I would say that you are too pragmatic for my taste at times and that can get somewhat predictable, and dare I say a little dull, especially during lively philosophical conversations which usually end up happening after a few drinks and a few rounds of pinball. But pragmatism is part of your charm somehow and quite necessary to the work you do to earn a living. If you weren't pragmatic and organized, more planes would fall from the sky. See science works, keeps planes flying and philosophy keeps people questioning about why we need to fly, breathe pressurized air and help spread viruses worldwide because we want to be elsewhere. If I were you, I wouldn't bother myself too much with philo-sophia, she is quite a bitch at times and loves light & wisdom which scares the hell out of the average person who sits in the darkness of their beliefs. Yes, philo-sophia has been known to bedevil the days of many a man who thought he had things figured out. I think you may have gotten an inkling of philo-sophia while writing your latest post, and I know that I am getting hit right now, but still love the way that she makes me dance like a demon using words as music and ideas as steps.

Regardless, philosophy was actually the first science when we began to abstract thought in order to do math and physics and such. In fact philosophy encompassed all the sciences that came after our occidental thinking began to evolve around that pond, “the pond” being the Mediterranean at that time. And now that we figured out how to fly via the empirical sciences, “the ponds” have become the oceans of the world, - see how things change Chris.

Fact oriented sciences have left philosophy behind in the last hundred years or so because there were too many annoying questions popping up when we split the atom or did something like that which could change the world so suddenly. And as we find out more and more stuff about the way things seem to work through the temporary truths being coughed up by the empirical sciences, we can continue to plow ahead with those facts or maybe ask a few questions in hopes of sharpening these rawhide truths. But in order to move forward faster, we usually need to leave some of the questions behind. Sometimes we leave one behind that would have been good to ask and answer before acting. Empirical science wants to get to the answers and reduce variables, it does not want to generate more questions than it has to. Questions are seen as something to reduce since they might ask us to act responsibly and may demand long term thinking when facing a new truth. And that is way too much hassle, especially if the answers coming up are difficult to reconcile with the unveiling of that new truth. Questions can bring on moral issues and will likely throw the empiricists and their training into a epistemological tailspin, and that can get pretty ugly if "the man" needs an answer he can use asap.

The first science was philo-sophia and the later empirical sciences managed to transform wisdom into facts and most people believed it, but not me. Like a bird leaving the nest, philo-sophia and the modern sciences shall likely never meet again, sadly. So here we are with the results of that divorce between questions and answers, extraordinary times indeed. Anyways, I am sure that we can still be friends and your brain will not even get tired if you leave the thinking to me. So 42-42-42, see, there is something we can both understand.
Chris Silver windsheild gift.jpg
Chris Silver windsheild gift.jpg (48.57 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
All my hopes,

Rab

Edits complete 14th AP. - boy was I in a rambunctious mood last night. So one Carte Blanche to Chris Silver's response to my babble and friendly ribbing - feel free to take pot shots at me buddy, keeps me in the loop of pragmatism and keeps me from losing my grip on being able to understand some of the posts on maaca. :D

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

As always RAB, you leave me something to think about. The soup du jour is truth.

“Truthfully”, on the surface I may appear to be a metaphorical speaking pragmatic poet and you a dramatically devote philosopher battling the “Whys” , but that’s just Shrek’s outer layer of the onion. You’re a complicated creature to peg. It’s a good thing no one can be fully defined by proxy.

Honestly, I consider myself to be a realistic troubled dreamer bound by responsibility. With a stay at home wife and 4 kids it’s imperative I remain grounded in a pragmatic world because that’s what it is. Everyone knows the dreamers and philosophers would be the first to die in a zombie apocalypse alongside the security red shirts from Star Trek.

I’ve noticed truth has been a focal point of yours for the past year. It seems you hold a perception towards the imperfection of truth as it not being an absolute. I’m sure we can agree that there are different types of truth. Philosophically some truths can be observed from different angles leaving interpretation? In my opinion this is not a truth. Something is true or it isn’t. Are there temporary truths? Yes. True love is a temporary truth. Unfortunately, true love is bound by time given enough of it. The laws of physics? Well, nobody can argue them. They are concrete truths. Many have tried. Youtube videos often entertainingly prove them timeless.
“And as we find out more and more stuff about the way things seem to work through the temporary truths being coughed up by the empirical sciences, we can continue to plow ahead with those facts or maybe ask a few questions in hopes of sharpening these rawhide truths”.
The results achieved through empirical science aren’t necessarily the final truths and definitely not intended to be temporary. Do they actually have the full true truth yet? The intent is to find the pure unadulterated answer. All the truths haven’t been found. Many times existing ones are proven to be a folly, incomplete, misinterpreted and/or a miscalculation of. The real truth is hidden there somewhere and is timelessly concrete even if we don’t see or understand it so we continue in an empirical manner until its revealed.
"Empirical science wants to get to the answers and reduce variables, it does not want to generate more questions than it has to. Questions are seen as something to reduce since they might ask us to act responsibly and may demand long term thinking when facing a new truth”.
That is a very philosophical interpretation of empirical science. I believe empirical science thrives off the generation of any and all questions possible to achieve the ultimate truth. When observed from the correct angle, we understand it’s not the new truth, but the revelation of the pure hidden one.

Philosophical truths can and often are temporary or not even factual truths at all. They get proven or discredited by time or the other sciences. This train of thought can leave philosophers confused and in a tailspin theorizing on the next newly assumed truth.
"Like a bird leaving the nest, philo-sophia and the modern sciences shall likely never meet again, sadly”.
I hopefully disagree. Time tells all. Mankind is constantly in a metamorphic state. I believe they are still dancing. Its just the Cha Cha and not the Tango for now.

"Regardless, philosophy was actually the first science when we began to abstract thought in order to do math and physics and such”.
My head hurts. This whole post is way too much thinking for my caveman brain. Hopefully I can hold it together long enough to finish it. I would rather be thinking of sharks with frickin’ lasers on their heads along with Dwarfs and Hobbits on a quest. I believe pragmatic thinking came first. It just wasn’t defind as such yet. Rudimentary math and an inadvertent understanding of physics are two of the many foundations of mankind. Philosophy is the realization and questioning of them. After becoming aware of unlabelled basic physics only then could we kick back and ponder abstract thought and expand the sciences. We needed to establish a basic civilization in a comfortable reality to dawn a golden age before we could free up time to sit and ponder the 42 in my opinion. What came first the chicken or the egg? Is that Philosophical thought or pragmatic? I swear I am probably out to lunch on this. The egg was by the way.

Now to intentionally contradict myself, pragmatic thinking thrives off of questions and can’t exist without philosophy and vice versa. Answers and questions and question and answers. When the answers have all been had we run out of need for thought. Often I dig out the core of common sense and see how far I can throw it. It’s not intentional. It’s impulse. Philosophy is the realization of the sciences. Maybe the chicken came first? Whatever we do, I feel we need to keep an epistemological approach to help us find the truth be it a temporary or absolute.

To Quote J.R.R. Tolkein
“This thing all things devours,
Birds, beasts, trees, and flowers.
Gnaws iron bites steel,
Grinds hard stones to meal,
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down”

The first line is a lie. Some truths are absolute. A Hobbit would tell you.
Definitely I’ll leave most of the philosophical thinking to you and enjoy putting a realistic, metaphorical, theoretical and poetic spin on it to tweak both our interests.

I’m full. No more soup for me. Where the hell is Scott?

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

I remember Winston Churchill saying this in a Documentary I believe. Fine example of the state of pure truth.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
Winston Churchill

I’ve always been a big fan of Oscar Wilde’s wisdom and wit. This is a playful quote of a temporary truth or possible folly.
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
Oscar Wilde

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Chris Silver wrote:I remember Winston Churchill saying this in a Documentary I believe. Fine example of the state of pure truth.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
Winston Churchill

I’ve always been a big fan of Oscar Wilde’s wisdom and wit. This is a playful quote of a temporary truth or possible folly.
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
Oscar Wilde

I love it Chris, looks like philo-sophia has been gnawing at your brain lately. Two posts questioning truths in a row from you: WTF. :o

The second post reflects some answers from a couple of the big boys you no doubt appreciate and count on for a basis in reality. There are plenty of answers Chris, far too many when it comes to truth, and none are really false if understood within their spatial and temporal contexts. If anything, truth remains contextual if it is to hold water, even in the empirical sciences, but it takes longer to have those truths change as opposed to a cultural or artistic one let's say. Example, it's true that burbing after a meal in Japan is a sign of appreciation, but burbing in England is a disgrace and understood as low class. So what is the truth about burbing out loud ? Well, that depends on where you are having a meal. :FP: Then consider gravity, a truth that Newton discovered which no longer stands up, but he didn't know that yet, so it remained true for a long time until we got out in outer space and said...wait a minute now ? In fact the empirical truth of gravity as Newton understood it lasted a hell of a long time and then it didn't stand up in the same way to a new context we observed. Get it ?

Truths will manifest themselves differently within the context that is perceived and used as a basis for reality. OK enough, I said that I wouldn't dissect these posts. Fawk !!

We could go on for a long time discussing ideas and theories about truth, hell we could edit our posts until we can't leave them alone because of this slippery topic and our grammatical errors. But as I told you today by text, I promised that I wouldn't dissect your post or mine for the sake of simply not driving eachother nuts and writing back and forth until we are banned from the forum for what would look like spamming. :lol: We should just sit still wait for the Warlock to figure out his MAACA password on his home laptop and let him wrap this discourse up like a big bag of shit and throw it out of the vehicles we ride in as we slowly make our way back to the road and our routines later this year. Regardless, I just love the fact that you stretched out enough to contribute to the R n' R thread, and that it took time for you to write your response. I wish others would step out of their routines (hell, now is the time) and take a chance like you did. I know, I know - it takes iron balls to play pinball here.

The fact that we have more time on our hands these days allows for alot of non-routine like things to happen and your posting was one of those. So thanks for stepping out of character for a while, and now you can go back as a bigger man and mess with the other sciences that keep planes in the air, and I can post what I have been doing outside my repair routines.

Note : This thread is by no means an intellectual pissing match, the wall would become too wet if it were, and our shoes would become soggy and walking would become unpleasant, and many of us are taking alot more walks these days.

P.S. - Here is what I have been working on besides fucking with the truth, past and present. Digging up and cataloguing analog memories that I have kept from the past 45 years or so. I finally got most of it thinned and sorted out and catalogued for the most part in an old classroom school closet time capsule. The fun & absurd discovery of last week was some film footage and a cassette recording which I knew I had somewhere and took some time to surface. But this week, it was finally digitized and synced with the help of a good friend who knows how to do this.

So from Super 8 film projected on a wall in a dark alcove and recording it with my cell phone, to then add the sound track from a long lost cassette tape from 1981 and feeding all that into a computer with an editing program I will never understand, it now comes together as a new truth on my YouTube channel and is preserved for generations to come who will wonder what the fuck the reality of that time was and how that context could have supported such a thing.

Joanna's reaction says it well, and comes from the present context :

Apr 15, 2020, 1:01 PM

Hiya Rob!

Amazing! I love and hate claymation, as it terrifies me for some reason. This commercial was definitely high on the weird meter. I love the dated feel of the recording.

Thank you for giving the world your footage! Now people can actually have video evidence of their choco loto memories, and people like me can glimpse into the whacky past.

JoJo

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Post by WARLOCK »

Do
Time
To

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Post by WARLOCK »

This thread has been a highly entertaining read for me; in large part because I know Silver and R.A.B well online, and offline.
This most intriguing of times has been a very busy and productive time, even though it initiated a whole new paradigm.

I have several posts written (ink on parchment) to contribute on this thread once i edit them to weave into the posts above.
More soon. Be well. Cheers. Salut. All the very best.

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

WARLOCK wrote:This thread has been a highly entertaining read for me; in large part because I know Silver and R.A.B well online, and offline.
This most intriguing of times has been a very busy and productive time, even though it initiated a whole new paradigm.

I have several posts written (ink on parchment) to contribute on this thread once I edit them to weave into the posts above.
More soon. Be well. Cheers. Salut. All the very best.
Thanks Scott, it has also been highly entertaining to partake in this discourse with Chris. He and I were texting back & forth before each post knowing that you, and also a few other curious members were at best reading while not posting. As always, I was wondering if the time was right to post and if the content was relevant, but after a while you need to press "submit". Even though there is other stuff going on MAACA that needs to be heard over this, I am always conscious of when to post ideas instead of pinball stuff, unless I happen to be out of my wits for some reason or another.

But back to the clincher. It is so good to stretch oneself beyond what we think we can write or do, and there is time for that now. Most of us, if not all, have been pushed away from our routines. This is likely the best time to reinvent oneself and maybe not go back to the old routines for those who are learning new ways of doing things that appear to be of a more essential nature. I think that this situation has created an important & crucial pause to the non-essentials of our existence (there is so much we do not need in order to live well) and has provided a chance for evolution (on a personal and worldwide scale) to express it's character. The real show of character will be when we get out of this thing (whenever that may be) and see how & who has taken the leap forward away from past routines that will likely appear more obsolete in the aftermath of this pandemic. Some will have understood, and others will try to remember how easily our lives can be taken away from us, as if that wasn't always the case. :!: It may show some of us a new way, well, at least a different way of not going back to the apparent safety of a past that no longer exists in the same old way.

I believe that alot of us knew that an adjustment was due around this period in history, especially after Trump was "elected", we sort of knew that something was wrong. We just couldn't have guessed that the looming adjustment would have been this virus thing that would trigger such a change worldwide. In hopes that the age of Trump will end with it and reduce that obscene carelessness in the name of business and the old school stupidity that he displays so proudly. He speaks as if we are still apes, and that the fittest are the ones with the best ability to destroy others. I hope that America will come out of this as something better than a big corporation of shopkeepers. The slogan should be, "let's make America better again". :lol: It will never be great again in the way it thought it was.

Here is something I wrote one night when I was questioning our stubborness in keeping things the same after this awakening event and how it may be perceived in the aftermath. I saved it, read it over and thought that I better not post it, but sometimes that "submit" tab is too big to ignore especially since Az has upgraded the look of the forum. :D Use that tab people.

So we exist, and some of us continue to struggle to find meaning beyond what is proposed by the commercialism and self serving empty desires of what makes those far removed from the common good throb. I watch the rich and stupid and self-entitled and bored, basically what was previously called "the carriage trade" and wonder what the hell they are after. The large majority of them will breeze through this pandemic and will have learned next to nothing. Indeed, their contempt for others and their excessive desires will likely promote anger and sadness somewhere else where reality actually matters. There is so much more to being alive in America than the American dream and the practise of business to justify the existence of a nation. For starters there is well being and cooperation towards a common good that is not only solely promoted via materialism. The values of capitalism are man made and a lasting truth promoting well being is probably not of that same man made nature. Yet I agree, it is easier to make lots of money and think that you are buying happiness than it is to pursue some value that is constantly changing and may or may not bring you peace and enlightenment at the end of it all, especially if you are a moron.

I think that it would be best for the large majority of us to chase pigeons while drunk in the public square.

I will keep quiet now.

Chris Silver
MAACA Wacko

Post by Chris Silver »

I didn’t want this thread to disappear too far down the list so I decided to bump it. Let’s make your brain hurt a bit from the bump.

Anna's daughter is my daughter's mother...
Who am I to Anna?

toastnjamma
MAACA Silent Type
Has liked: 1 time

Post by toastnjamma »

Chris Silver wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:49 pm
Anna's daughter is my daughter's mother...
Who am I to Anna?
All depends on your relationship with the in-laws, doesn't it? Are you the best thing to happen to her little girl, or are you the one that took her away from that nice lawyer's son down the road?

Who is Anna to you?

This isn't deep, it's merely the tired, half-hearted attempt to fake it.
2020 - arcade cabinet or bust!

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Chris, you don't have a daughter named Anna and your wife doesn't either, but you do have sons as far as I know, so what is the trouble here ? :?

Hell of a way to bump a thread buddy. :lol:

Here's some dope you can probably use which may also provide a bump or two. Hell, it is springtime regardless of the darkness that looms. :wave

The routines are just beginning to cautiously lurk once again, I can feel it, getting little signs of that now. People are calling, texting and e-mailing for parts so I will likely go into Alouette on Monday for an hour or so to ship a few more orders out as I did last Wednesday, love the quiet & relaxed feeling there. It is nice kinda nice to work alone without interruptions, I could get use to that in my later years.

So bits and pieces of my past routines are starting to creep up my leg this spring. Home service requests are starting to come in more regularly after having died down to nothing in late March. Turned down a repair on a GTB “Swing Along” last week even though the guy said he would leave it in the garage and have me work on it alone. Also holding off on repairing an Eight Ball Champ that a real estate agent has sitting in a condo. Nobody has visited the place in weeks, but I told him to wait until I call him back. I am still enjoying not working on pins after a good month of abstinence, the only real problem I foresee is spring time, - i.e. mating season. The male pigeons on my neighbours balcony railing are already doing that 360 degree dance while the smaller female looks on moving her small head in jerky movements to see what the bugger looks like. When the bastard makes a move towards her she takes a few steps away and so on and so on it goes. He then twirls again with a puffed torso and in the middle of his 360, when he's got his tail towards her, she just says, “fuck this shit for now” and flies away. The male pigeon who is still full of air from trying to look big can't take off yet, so he is sort of stuck looking for the next pigeon. It is a sad state of affairs in a way, and resembles ours, but there are still a bunch of pigeons around, so some of them must have been dancing the rumba together way before this pandemic came around. Repetition and routine rule in the this powerful play, and that is how it manages to go on year after year after year. May have something to do with Anna's mother wanting to dance as well. :FP:

I don't mind shipping parts once in a while as a way to work myself back into the groove of those lost routines, happy to hear from clients & friends as usual. Home service will likely be the next routine to fall into place along with some new guidelines. Then the last routine to make a comeback will be the North Star line up checks and shop repairs probably because there will start to be some long term home rentals, and then slowly a few private events at the bar at first, and then limited access to the North Star itself, again all with new guidelines. The only thing none of us are sure of is when this will start to happen, some say September, some say when some lucky pharmaceutical company makes a killing selling the vaccine to those who need it most (frontline health workers) before making it readily available to the gen pop for the double jackpot. I think it is safe to say that we will not be gathering for any music or comedy festivals this summer in Montreal, not quite the time to dance or laugh wholeheartedly just yet. :ugeek: It will be a hard spring for many, there is no stopping the sun from rising.

RISING SUN

all this eyelash fast flash:
I'll pretend the curves don't swerve
to some sad stoney soil;
I'll contend my glacial facial
hides and lies and slides -----
slips me to the dreamy mood you eye.

Damn.

Miss seeing & hanging out with many of you folks, so call eachother often and give news when so inclined. Maybe talk some about what is wearing on each of us, it helps to have another person's perspective reflect on our situation, this providing they are caring people ofcourse. Isolation sucks for many, especially for long periods where the days meld into eachother.

Rob

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Starting to feel some of the old routines lurking around my door.
They are looking for a way to reinvent themselves while sporting an air of uncertainty,
I will resist the old and try to help, - helping to bring the necessary changes into the light.
So let's take that chance will we ? Let's make a move under that sweet summer sun.

Do I admit to missing the old routines, - yes.
Do I want them back in the same way - no.
I know too much now.

How is it then that all we have accumulated in our calculated past largely built on the assumption that almost nothing could derail us from our path could fall apart so fast ? Incredible and extra-ordinary, isn't it ? And how did we permit ourselves (being so smart and all) to be so unprepared and shamefully lacking the basic resources to deal with a crisis we knew was looming via a god damned virus or some other adjustment tool ? We must have taken the future for granted, and sacrificed part of that stable present we were in and cashed some of it in for profit on the boisterous assumption that we are the ones in control and that nothing will change because we are the smartest animals on earth. It's like we were simply playing the future and destiny for a chump. That was just plain arrogance on our part I would say.

Life is persistent, but it is also fragile in the face of rapid change and you can't really know when these qualities will prevail. So the question remains, - how do we want to build our next past going forward ? How will it emerge under this new veil ? It will be like a new union to explore, a marriage between a virus and its host, us. It will be exciting and scary and filled with stupid ideas along with a couple of brilliant revelations as we assess each facet, nook and cranny and look for our place to be in this new normal. Maybe I should say that we will make a place for ourselves as we move ahead and then we will stupidly and confidently start believing that we own that place again, we do not own anything, never did never will, we are transient with some influence at best. Shit !

If the status quo is maintained until Sunday night in Montreal, I will be back at Alouette on Monday-Wednesday-Friday starting next week for anything you may need as far as parts & service are concerned. I will hopefully be dealing with those who have done their share in making a difference. The smarter ones will have learned a thing or two and will have changed. And I as well will sound a bit different as I live the first reintegration of my routines. How can one not be different after all this, and yet I still want to help make those parts of our lives pleasant & hopefully more meaningful whenever I can. The past 10 weeks have been a powerful reminder of things I had left behind in my haste on March 24th. Basically forgetting how I behaved and coped while in the whirlwind of those work days and forgetting how easily your life can be taken away from you, and not just by a virus which largely "takes out" the weakest of our kind. Anything can happen anytime, yet we can not let that fact paralyze us. So the easiest way is to ignore it like many so called "go-getters" do so as to plow forward, often accompanied by the haste of their short term thinking. I prefer getting the occasional reminder (like we just did) about uncertainty instead of acting within that total ignorance bubble which we can use to justify our reckless actions.

As far as the regular maintenance & repairs Montreal Pinball does for the North Star, (one of my other routines) they will have to wait. The bar business will have to resurface first, carefully, thoughtfully, intelligently and likely accompanied with some major changes in how they look and operate. The easiest way to reopen is to follow suit this time and see what the Québec government puts forth as to how to reopen bars & restaurants, where luckily for us, they happen to have their own routed machines and similar challenges as the little guy. Those profitable video lottery terminals aren't going anywhere soon. That is a government regulated business, - routing slots in bars, and as amusement machine operators we need to see what the government does in order to keep operating these. They are basically machines with push buttons, coin mechs, bill acceptors and touchscreens and they are not going to give up that business, and neither are we. So we need to see how they plan to continue operating equipment like this within this new reality. This will be our cue as amusement machine operators, and the government will not be able to argue any of their own measures as not being applicable to pinball machines or pool tables or dart machines or jukeboxes. Indeed, I am sure that this will be the path to follow so as to reopen Montreal's first and foremost pinball bar.

On another related note, the government's biggest challenge in this sector will be how to reopen their casinos, or as I mockingly like to call them, the adult FECs. of our twisted times.

Still, virtual hugs,

Rab

R.A.B.
MAACA Wacko

Post by R.A.B. »

Routines have and will change, we know that.

But I got to tell ya, work is so important to one's mental health, any work. Not that I was going "bughouse" just yet, but after two months, and especially in the last three days or so, I could feel it gaining ground on me.

I think what is primordial is not "work" per say, but a feeling of being useful (to at least some degree) to others, a feeling that the things you do matter, make some sort of difference and better yet contribute to a bigger collective picture. I also think that that type of work (i.e. gainful employement) needs to be done somewhere else than where we live our personal lives, cause even living each day is work in a way.

Routines can help give structure to one's purpose, and having a job, any job can help make you look responsible and not as totally crazy & bughouse as we sometimes feel when we are isolated and more idle during our productive years.

So glad to be back at this routine with the obvious changes in place, and needless to say, many more to come.

20200525_081348.jpg

WARLOCK
MAACA Wacko

Post by WARLOCK »

Always great to have that sense or feeling that what you are doing has purpose or meaning.
Very glad to see that you are back into the Routine, and we will all benefit in your return...

pinheadpat
MAACA Silent Type

Post by pinheadpat »

Amen ! Welcome back to the good grind.

Dave W.
MAACA Half-ling
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Dave W. »

Rob, seeing that pic put a smile on my face. Look forward to saying hi at Alouette

Return to “MAACA Forum and Chat”